2007 Yankees

Comments

• Allie02 wrote:
    LOL. Ok Brad Pitt in Fight Club, I will shuush in the Yankee thread but I thought we were all open minded baseball fans around here. And baseball movie fans. I thought it was cute gosh darnit.

Moving on, I disagree, I know it isn't costing us any money yet, I saw that, but, if we're going to spend $ we should spend on it someone young and healthy, not someone who doesn't know when to give it a rest and has an ego the size of Texas, who has scar tissue and got a 'fatigued' groin after only 50+ pitches.

A-Rod looked safe, though,
    and as long as we've got a 2 game win streak, that's good. Let's hope they kepe it up! Go yankees.

ok, if they make a movie about ted williams i'll go see it. i'm just not really feeling the historical significance of jimmy fallon...

i don't think a one-year contract for an old pitcher is really that damaging for us. we have plenty of young pitchers. they're just not quite ready yet (or healthy :rolleyes: ). what we don't need are long-term contracts that block those guys from getting to the rotation.

clemens' ego gets a pass in my book because of how well he fit in the last time around...

and yes, a-rod was safe... but it wasn't just that...
  • NCBRI wrote:
    For a player who is supposedly so disliked, A-Rod sure has a lot of votes from the fans around the country.

Also saw this about the Tampa minor league team which is encouraging:
    Six Tampa Yankees were named to the 2007 Florida State League All-Star Team on Tuesday: catcher Francisco Cervelli, infielder Reegie Corona, right-hander Ian Kennedy, right-hander Daniel McCutchen, infielder Kevin Russo and right-hander Eric Wordekemper.

The article is acutally about the kid Basak that was called up from Scranton and how they chose to leave Phillips down because he wouldn't be getting much playing time with the Yanks.

The MLB draft is tomorrow.

6.5 games back in the Wild Card race

those are some pretty good prospects on that all-star list, especially ian kennedy.

basak was great in spring training, but i really like kevin thompson too.
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    ok, if they make a movie about ted williams i'll go see it. i'm just not really feeling the historical significance of jimmy fallon...

i don't think a one-year contract for an old pitcher is really that damaging for us. we have plenty of young pitchers. they're just not quite ready yet (or healthy :rolleyes: ). what we don't need are long-term contracts that block those guys from getting to the rotation.

clemens' ego gets a pass in my book because of how well he fit in the last time around...

and yes, a-rod was safe... but it wasn't just that...
    I'm in Fla, I didn't see the game, just the highlights. What happened?
    I said the historical significance of Fenway, not Jimmy! But shuush we can't talk about it.

That's a fair argument re: the pitching but I've been displeased and unimpressed since they let go of Andy. And Ted Lilly, we should've kept him too.

I think Clemens needs to give it a rest. We'll see how he does. I hope he does well, don't get me wrong, but you know, there's a time when enough is enough.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Allie02 wrote:
    I'm in Fla, I didn't see the game, just the highlights. What happened?

it was a solid win. wang gave up one run on five hits while pitching a complete game. melky made a great throw from CF to gun down jerry owens at the plate.

but we had FOUR runners thrown out on the basepaths... that just can't happen...
    it was a solid win. wang gave up one run on five hits while pitching a complete game. melky made a great throw from CF to gun down jerry owens at the plate.

but we had FOUR runners thrown out on the basepaths... that just can't happen...
    I agree

Which 4 runners?
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Allie02 wrote:
    I agree

Which 4 runners?

a-rod stretching for a double
    posada advancing to second on a sac fly
    posada picked off of second by the catcher on a near-wild pitch
    melky picked off (or caught stealing) pitcher to 1B to SS

alright... chris cornell's tonight show performance is over so i'm going to sleep...

later...
  • igotid88 wrote:
    Posada should be in first for the catchers. I'm sure he'll make the team. But he should start.

You have got to be kidding me.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563

who else?
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813

yeah , who else ?

:confused:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Yanks take Andre Brackman from NC State with their First Round Pick. There are concerns about his elbow. He didn't pitch in the NCAA Regionals because of that. If healthy, this guy should be very good. I watched him play and he is a dominating pitcher and very athletic for his size (6' 10"). He was a very agile big man on the basketball court as well. Obvious comparisons have been made to Randy Johnson and the Padres Chris Young. Tremendous upside! Gammons put it best when he said that Brackman would probably have been a top 5 pick a month ago. His elbow issue has just come up recently and some teams may have been a bit scared of him switching to basketball. I don't think that is likely though. He skipped basketball this past season to concentrate on baseball.
    I like the pick.
    Brian
    Bull Durham...........now that's a baseball movie.
    Brian
  • You have got to be kidding me.

since you're from minnesota, i'm gonna assume you're talking about joe mauer... would that be the same joe mauer who's missed half the season so far with a strained quad?

Joe Mauer: .353 AVG, 1 HR, 14 RBI, 18 R in 28 games

Jorge Posada: .358 AVG, 7 HR, 38 RBI, 33 R in 54 games

we'll see what mauer does when he's healthy, but right now i gotta go with posada...
  • NCBRI wrote:
    Yanks take Andre Brackman from NC State with their First Round Pick. There are concerns about his elbow. He didn't pitch in the NCAA Regionals because of that. If healthy, this guy should be very good. I watched him play and he is a dominating pitcher and very athletic for his size (6' 10"). He was a very agile big man on the basketball court as well. Obvious comparisons have been made to Randy Johnson and the Padres Chris Young. Tremendous upside! Gammons put it best when he said that Brackman would probably have been a top 5 pick a month ago. His elbow issue has just come up recently and some teams may have been a bit scared of him switching to basketball. I don't think that is likely though. He skipped basketball this past season to concentrate on baseball.
    I like the pick.

i'm reading the scouting reports on this guy...

andrew brackman: 6-11, 230 lbs, 97-99 MPH fastball, great command with his two-seamer, average changeup, throws a knucklecurve with a ton of movement but needs to gain command for it to be an effective pitch. he quit basketball to focus on baseball. he wasn't dominant in college but many scouts seem to think he has the most potential of anyone in the draft. his health problems were related to the fact that he had to be shut down with a tired arm. this was his first full year as a starting pitcher (because of basketball), so that may have been why. i'm not too worried about that. it seems that the biggest reason he fell to number 30 was because he hired scott boras. not a problem for steinbrenner. sounds like a good pick to me. kinda raw, but he could potentially develop into the intimidator that the yankees need in their rotation. i mean, that's why they threw $28 million at clemens, right?

with their second pick, they took austin romine, a high school catcher. son of former big leaguer kevin romine. offensive-minded catcher who makes solid contact. he is said to have good power potential and his offensive approach is comparable to todd zeile. he has a strong, accurate arm, but his fielding is inconsistent. the yankees need a good catcher in their system. coming straight from high school, this kid is probably several years away.

with their third pick, they took ryan pope, a RHP pitcher from savannah college of art and design. :confused: i'm not really familiar with their baseball program...
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    since you're from minnesota, i'm gonna assume you're talking about joe mauer... would that be the same joe mauer who's missed half the season so far with a strained quad?

Joe Mauer: .353 AVG, 1 HR, 14 RBI, 18 R in 28 games

Jorge Posada: .358 AVG, 7 HR, 38 RBI, 33 R in 54 games

we'll see what mauer does when he's healthy, but right now i gotta go with posada...

it's like when Sandy Alomar kept getting votes even though he was injured every year.
    I miss igotid88
    a-rod stretching for a double
    posada advancing to second on a sac fly
    posada picked off of second by the catcher on a near-wild pitch
    melky picked off (or caught stealing) pitcher to 1B to SS

alright... chris cornell's tonight show performance is over so i'm going to sleep...

later...

A-Rod didn't run hard out of the box b/c he thought he had a HR
    Posada isn't a good runner to begin with

and Melky! Oh poor Melky. Well he's young.

What's going on in the game tonight?
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Allie02 wrote:
    A-Rod didn't run hard out of the box b/c he thought he had a HR
    Posada isn't a good runner to begin with

and Melky! Oh poor Melky. Well he's young.

What's going on in the game tonight?

4-2 Yankees are up in the bottom of the 8th. Farnsworth gives up another run. Going to mariano for a 5 out save. Another quality start from a yankee starter.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    4-2 Yankees are up in the bottom of the 8th. Farnsworth gives up another run. Going to mariano for a 5 out save. Another quality start from a yankee starter.

4-3 Jeter couldn't make the play. AJ strikes out and throws the bat down and gets thrown out of the game. I guess he didn't like an earlier call by the umpire.

This will be Torre's 2000th win if the lead holds.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    4-3 Jeter couldn't make the play. AJ strikes out and throws the bat down and gets thrown out of the game. I guess he didn't like an earlier call by the umpire.

This will be Torre's 2000th win if the lead holds.

An A-BOMB from A-ROD. Grand SalamI. 9-3 triple from Cano.
    I miss igotid88
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    igotid88 wrote:
    An A-BOMB from A-ROD. Grand SalamI

Im happy that sealed the game for us, but god damn did that just screw me in fantasy baseball!
    thanks for the play by play!
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Allie02 wrote:
    thanks for the play by play!

it's okay. even if you didn't answer my pm's. This should be an easy save for Rivera. before long he will be in the top 3.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    it's okay. even if you didn't answer my pm's. .
    How old are you, 12?

If someone doesn't answer you, there's a reason. Don't call it out in public.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Allie02 wrote:
    How old are you, 12?

If someone doesn't answer you, there's a reason. Don't call it out in public.

Sorry. Didn't think you'd take it so serious. Although your response would've been better in a pm. Less light. This never happened.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Sorry. Didn't think you'd take it so serious. Although your response would've been better in a pm. Less light. This never happened.

leave it alone dude.
    I miss igotid88
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    When are the yankees going to get rid of farnsworth? I hate the guy.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    Hey Yankee fan, are you scared that my Pirates are rolling into town? I'm gonna guess that you're not.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
    Game not on the baseball package today because of the FOX Saturday broadcasts. We are getting the Mets/Braves at 3:30 instead.

Nice game by Pettitte last night. Take away the misplay on Duffy's inside the park HR and he only gave up 2. Nice comeback for a change. We're creeping closer to .500. One step at a time.

5.5 games back in the wild card
    Brian
    PJ_Saluki wrote:
    Hey Yankee fan, are you scared that my Pirates are rolling into town? I'm gonna guess that you're not.

speaking of which the YES network just had a piece with one of the Pirates players ( didnt catch exactly who it was ) , from their guest lockerroom from the House That Ruth Built.

They noted the fact that the Pirates were listening to Flashdance and Gloria Gaynor in the backround , and what en eclectic mix of music the Pirates were using for their pregame psych-up.

what a feeling
    dont shoot ther messenger.
    :)
    platessmall.jpg
  • pjscreamerpjscreamer Posts: 599
    Da kid is def interested in seeing how da Rocket does today,da kids going to Da stadium to see da Subway Series,Fri and Sat.Hell Da kid last weekend saw DA Bombers kick ass Friday nite in Fenway off course Da kid was wearing da pinstripes and was called some nice choice 4 letter words.
    at da game Dakid sees a little hottie wearing a shirt that says "Real women don't date Yankee fans"Da kid went up to her and laughed in her face and called her a dike.LOL classic
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
    24)MSG I,II
    pjscreamer wrote:
    Da kid is def interested in seeing how da Rocket does today,da kids going to Da stadium to see da Subway Series,Fri and Sat.Hell Da kid last weekend saw DA Bombers kick ass Friday nite in Fenway off course Da kid was wearing da pinstripes and was called some nice choice 4 letter words.
    at da game Dakid sees a little hottie wearing a shirt that says "Real women don't date Yankee fans"Da kid went up to her and laughed in her face and called her a dike.LOL classic

awwww whyd you do that ?

she was obviously a fellow yank fan up in the fenway park.

maybe she liked you,....

;)
    platessmall.jpg