2007 Yankees

Comments

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,239
    lowell did in fact come up with the yankees. he was traded to florida in 1999 for three prospects that never panned out. he was unable to really crack the yankees because scott brosius was at third at the time but if they kept him, would an infield of Jeter, Soriano, Nick Johnson, and Lowell be so terrible?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    alright already about A-Rod,
    Guys, we are in serious trouble! The pitching is a mess, Andy's hurt now too, Derek got banged up, God knows if CLemens is coming, and we're 13 1/2 out and Boston's ahead in Oakland. And we lost to a team who's bullpen had like a 10. something ERA. Things do not bode well in Yankee world.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2007/06/03/1180861424_6192/410w.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/AlexRodriguezInterference.jpg

i'm not trying to defend a-rod here (at all). but from the perspective of a yankee fan, i don't really see such a huge difference between a head butt and an arm slap that the two plays should necessarily generate such polar opposite responses.

and it seems a little unhealthy that you guys are still complaining about this play three years later. it's like a broken record at this point. i'm not really a big fan of broken records. that's why my PJ vinyls are still sealed in plastic. ;)

I still bring it up after all these years becasue when someone states that Lowell did something wrong or that he hasn't got class, it rubs me the wrong way, he really is a great addition to the Sox and he is a top notch guy. When you mention Alex, you immediately start thinking of the crap he has pulled. In terms of Alex he is known for doing crappy things on and off the field. He's his own worst enemy and quite easy to pick on.

With that said, I agree with Allie! You guys are really hurting big time. I know it won't be for long but it hurts watching it happening right in front of your eyes. Kinda like our season last year. It was nice to see Ortiz hit that many homeruns but when it doesn't count in the standing, it hurt. I do know that Cashman is building the team, the farm league has it going on, really. It went from depleted to some solid improvements. Perhaps it's time to take this year, maybe the next, as a wash and hope that the future brings you another championship.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    Let's Go Red Sox!
    momofglynn wrote:
    I still bring it up after all these years becasue when someone states that Lowell did something wrong or that he hasn't got class, it rubs me the wrong way, he really is a great addition to the Sox and he is a top notch guy. When you mention Alex, you immediately start thinking of the crap he has pulled. In terms of Alex he is known for doing crappy things on and off the field. He's his own worst enemy and quite easy to pick on.

With that said, I agree with Allie! You guys are really hurting big time. I know it won't be for long but it hurts watching it happening right in front of your eyes. Kinda like our season last year. It was nice to see Ortiz hit that many homeruns but when it doesn't count in the standing, it hurt. I do know that Cashman is building the team, the farm league has it going on, really. It went from depleted to some solid improvements. Perhaps it's time to take this year, maybe the next, as a wash and hope that the future brings you another championship.

Hey Mom! I agree w/what you said about A-Rod. Plus he's just such a whiner, he wants everybody to like him, he sounds like a big baby.
    I have to say, I saw the Sat and Sun games and I heard about the Friday night game. You guys come up with some really impressive taunts! That thing with the masks was so funny! And the "where is Roger?" chant last night! Wow. We can't even say 1918 any more! We've got bupkus! And I thought it was really classy that y'all cheered for Mientkiewicz (sp?) when he got up after he got his head banged up.

But we're not going to roll over and play dead, like Yogi said, it's not over till it's over :)

Hey did you see Fever Pitch, btw? What a cute movie that was. It made me want to go visit Fenway.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,239
    disrupted scar tissue, i never heard of that..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Allie02 wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHA. oh god this is like watching a train wreck, u know u wanna not look, but u just cant help not to
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    lowell did in fact come up with the yankees. he was traded to florida in 1999 for three prospects that never panned out. he was unable to really crack the yankees because scott brosius was at third at the time but if they kept him, would an infield of Jeter, Soriano, Nick Johnson, and Lowell be so terrible?

Good ol' Ed Yarnall. He was supposed to be the prize pitching prospect in that Lowell deal. http://www.waswatching.com/archives/2005/10/ed_yarnall.html
    Brian
  • momofglynn wrote:

well... aren't you expecting to be "rubbed the wrong way" when you click on a yankee thread? i'm sure you realize in advance that most of the opinions in here will be contrary to your own. that being said, you seem pretty cool and you're always welcome to participate in the discussion... but it's still a yankee thread! anyone who might take offense to a yankee fan's opinions can enter at their own risk. that's just how it is...

getting back to a-rod, it's really a no-win situation for us fans. if we boo him, it's because we're spoiled and don't recognize his talent. if we support him, it means that we condone his poor sportsmanship and are therefore just as bad as he is. i kinda wish that one of the critics would just come out and tell us specifically how we're supposed to react to a-rod's presence on our team. it would make things a hell of a lot easier for us. :rolleyes:;)

also, i don't think it makes much sense to keep bringing up one specific event in the yanks/sox rivalry. i could talk about how jason varitek attacked a-rod without taking off his catcher's mask a few months earlier. or i could bring up pedro's headhunting... i'm sure you're well aware of how dirty and emotionally unstable us yankee fans thought he was. but what does it matter? it's a dirty rivalry (although not nearly as bad today as it was in the late '70s). it's ridiculous to assume that specific members of the yankees are any more to blame than specific members of the red sox.

personally, i don't think any of these incidents are that big of a deal. in the era of agents and unions and multi-million dollar contracts, i feel like the players have gotten soft. and baseball's unwritten rules are constantly being re-written to reflect this.

fuck it, look at ty cobb. he made a hall of fame career out of doing things that were much worse than anything we're talking about here. and a-rod's poor sportsmanship certainly isn't in the same league as pete rose ruining ray fosse's career by slamming into him in an all-star game.

it's not even that i care about mike lowell's play so much. i just think it's ridiculous that it was considered infinitely less offensive than "pop-up gate" in toronto. that's all.
  • disrupted scar tissue, i never heard of that..

maybe he's been hanging out with carl pavano... :rolleyes:
  • Allie02 wrote:
    Hey did you see Fever Pitch, btw? What a cute movie that was. It made me want to go visit Fenway.

*sigh*

i'm starting to worry about you, allie...

;)
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    I miss igotid88
  • NCBRI wrote:
    Good ol' Ed Yarnall. He was supposed to be the prize pitching prospect in that Lowell deal. http://www.waswatching.com/archives/2005/10/ed_yarnall.html

it wasn't about ed yarnall. it was about clearing 3B for drew henson. :rolleyes:

i'd like to check brian cashman's math on that projection. i think he forgot to carry the one...

it didn't really matter though. brosius, ventura, and boone all worked out well. then we traded soriano for a-rod, thus opening 2B for robinson cano.

i'm not convinced that lowell would have been a great yankee stadium hitter at this point in his career, anyway.
    Allie02 wrote:
    Hey Mom! I agree w/what you said about A-Rod. Plus he's just such a whiner, he wants everybody to like him, he sounds like a big baby.
    quote]

I don't recall him whining. And who doesn't wanna be liked. He comes to play everyday. He works hard at it. He might say something you might not like. But once people look at you in a certain way whatever you say good or bad will always be bad.
    I miss igotid88
    Another tack on homerun by Alex. oh yea that reminds me. I don't know if you heard this but on espn radio here in nyc. The guy who does the show with Stephen A. Smith had a problem with A-Rod putting his hand on the camera after his homerun off of Papelbon.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Another tack on homerun by Alex. oh yea that reminds me. I don't know if you heard this but on espn radio here in nyc. The guy who does the show with Stephen A. Smith had a problem with A-Rod putting his hand on the camera after his homerun off of Papelbon.

seriously?! WHY?! God people need to chill out
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    *sigh*

i'm starting to worry about you, allie...

;)

LOL :) I want to see it for the historical aspects. I've wanted to do that for a long time. I really want to see a Yanks Sox game in Fenway. I'd be afraid to don my Yankees gear though :eek:

And I do support my team IGI, but I call it like I see it, I dont like A-Rod, I never have, and being a cheater doesn't make things any better, and the whole thing with Clemens is totally bogus. He's almost 45 and if he had old scar tissue he might've mentioned that before we signed him for 27 mil for not even a whole season. That is bogus
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Allie02 wrote:
    LOL :)

And I do support my team IGI, but I call it like I see it, I dont like A-Rod, I never have, and being a cheater doesn't make things any better, and the whole thing with Clemens is totally bogus. He's almost 45 and if he had old scar tissue he might've mentioned that before we signed him for 27 mil for not even a whole season. That is bogus

I don't recall him ever cheating. You're thinking of Jason Giambi.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    I don't recall him ever cheating. You're thinking of Jason Giambi.

you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. you need to get your facts straight.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. you need to get your facts straight.

really? well why don't you try and learn me some facts.
    I miss igotid88
    Allie02 wrote:
    seriously?! WHY?! God people need to chill out

Mike Misanelli is his name. He's from Philly.
    I miss igotid88
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    igotid88 wrote:
    Mike Misanelli is his name. He's from Philly.

Mikey Miss is back on radio ?? I didn't know that. Ever since he got booted from WIP I thought he was done with radio.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    FEATURE STORY

.:: Q&A WITH JOH PHELPS ::.
    Josh Phelps shares his thoughts on life in the bigs

<< FULL STORY >>
    http://click.mlb.com/ct/click?q=a2-6~M7QXZHF7q1YxH9R6CGkWo9sEuR

.:: EIGHT YANKEES IN ALL-STAR RACE ::.

<< ALL-STAR RESULTS THROUGH 6/5 >>
    http://click.mlb.com/ct/click?q=b7-FOgPQ8JHOIFh1OJ0N~bnpUqMLNdR

.:: VOTE YANKEES SWEEPSTAKES ::.

Fill out the online ballot, select the Yankees as your
    "favorite" or "other favorite" team, and you will be
    automatically entered into the "Vote the Yankees
    All-Star Sweepstakes". Vote up to 25 times for a
    chance to win 2 Yankees tickets!

<< CLICK TO VOTE >>
    http://click.mlb.com/ct/click?q=cc-h4fQQ0O790q8COX7qlZDovdifqZR

==========================================
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Bathgate66 wrote:

For a player who is supposedly so disliked, A-Rod sure has a lot of votes from the fans around the country.

Also saw this about the Tampa minor league team which is encouraging:
    Six Tampa Yankees were named to the 2007 Florida State League All-Star Team on Tuesday: catcher Francisco Cervelli, infielder Reegie Corona, right-hander Ian Kennedy, right-hander Daniel McCutchen, infielder Kevin Russo and right-hander Eric Wordekemper.

The article is acutally about the kid Basak that was called up from Scranton and how they chose to leave Phillips down because he wouldn't be getting much playing time with the Yanks.

The MLB draft is tomorrow.

6.5 games back in the Wild Card race
    Brian
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Posada should be in first for the catchers. I'm sure he'll make the team. But he should start.
    I miss igotid88
    Mikey Miss is back on radio ?? I didn't know that. Ever since he got booted from WIP I thought he was done with radio.

he's on from 12-2pm on 1050 espn in nyc. He's the co-host. It's the Stephen A. Smith show.
    I miss igotid88
  • Allie02 wrote:
    LOL :) I want to see it for the historical aspects. I've wanted to do that for a long time. I really want to see a Yanks Sox game in Fenway. I'd be afraid to don my Yankees gear though :eek:

the first rule of the yankee thread is, we do not talk about fever pitch.

the second rule of the yankee thread is, we do not talk about fever pitch.

;)

regarding clemens, he's not costing the yankees any money right now. he doesn't get paid until they call him up. so it's better for them to be completely sure that he's 100% healthy before they start paying him.

if they activate him on saturday, he will earn $17,442,637 this season (according to yahoo sports). so 2/3 of a season from clemens will cost a little less than a full season from barry zito. i'll take clemens.

bad baserunning tonight, but a solid win overall...
    the first rule of the yankee thread is, we do not talk about fever pitch.

the second rule of the yankee thread is, we do not talk about fever pitch.

;)

regarding clemens, he's not costing the yankees any money right now. he doesn't get paid until they call him up. so it's better for them to be completely sure that he's 100% healthy before they start paying him.

if they activate him on saturday, he will earn $17,442,637 this season (according to yahoo sports). so 2/3 of a season from clemens will cost a little less than a full season from barry zito. i'll take clemens.

bad baserunning tonight, but a solid win overall...

LOL. Ok Brad Pitt in Fight Club, I will shuush in the Yankee thread but I thought we were all open minded baseball fans around here. And baseball movie fans. I thought it was cute gosh darnit.

Moving on, I disagree, I know it isn't costing us any money yet, I saw that, but, if we're going to spend $ we should spend on it someone young and healthy, not someone who doesn't know when to give it a rest and has an ego the size of Texas, who has scar tissue and got a 'fatigued' groin after only 50+ pitches.

A-Rod looked safe, though,
    and as long as we've got a 2 game win streak, that's good. Let's hope they kepe it up! Go yankees.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!