2007 Yankees

Comments

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    In many cases the real fans are priced out, or fed up. I'm a huge Mets fan, and for the most part I'd rather stay home and watch the game, or carry a small radio. I feel the need to make it out to the park at least once a year, but all the bullshit that goes along with it has somewhat soured me on this once holy experience.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    i agree with all of that. i havent been to a met game in 2 years. last time i went was piazza's final game as a met.

Cool.
    I think he's on the DL, he hurt his shoulder, I think he got in a collision with somebody and I can't remember who.

I only go b/c my Dad takes me, but we can't afford more than 1x /yr either. And I used to get discounted tickets from my previous job.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    AstroFan wrote:
    They gave him that because he was retiring as a Yankee, which he will do in about 8 years after a couple more stops in Boston and Houston ;)

No no no, a retirement gift is meant for when you actually retire and don't come back!! If you come back you should have to give it back!
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Brainofdz wrote:
    In many cases the real fans are priced out, or fed up. I'm a huge Mets fan, and for the most part I'd rather stay home and watch the game, or carry a small radio. I feel the need to make it out to the park at least once a year, but all the bullshit that goes along with it has somewhat soured me on this once holy experience.

perhaps you just need a ballpark pal to distract you from all that bullshit. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I wish they kept Steiner around. He's better than Sterling and Kay both
    Michael Kay enjoys the sound of his own voice way too much. I do not like him.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Allie02 wrote:
    Cool.
    I think he's on the DL, he hurt his shoulder, I think he got in a collision with somebody and I can't remember who.

I only go b/c my Dad takes me, but we can't afford more than 1x /yr either. And I used to get discounted tickets from my previous job.
    it totally sucks for die hards like us that we can only go to one game a year or even not go
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

it totally sucks for die hards like us that we can only go to one game a year or even not go

True. But at least we can see Pj..oh..wait, no, we can't do that either :) hee hee. Its true but everything is more expensive today, that's the way the world is. Its all about making $. Sad but true ...

As long as my cable works I'm ok :)
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    the point i was making before is that red sox fans are no longer in any position to be complaining about the yankees' spending.

if that was your point, you just could have said that.
    igawa aside, brian cashman did a good job this offseason of clearing payroll and spending wisely in order to give the yankees the opportunity to strike when clemens became available. boston, on the other hand, was handing out checks to anyone who would take them.

the unit and sheff deals were good moves, but igawa is an albatross of a deal. they didn't make any moves to improve themselves for 2007 and it shows, especially with all the injuries. other than signing a 26 year old pitcher, a solid shortstop/lead-off man and a solid (when healthy) 5-spot hitter...who did the sox "hand out checks to anyone who would take them" to? i don't recall too many bad signings this off-season (although i wouldn't have given 5 years to drew).
    the yankees bid $32 million to talk to matsuzaka. if they had won with this bid, you would be right here in this very same thread complaining about how ridiculous that was. but as it stands, the red sox won. and for some reason, you want to pretend like their $51 million bid is completely irrelevant in the argument about overspending for pitchers. igawa was a terrible signing, but that bid was based largely on a market that had already been established by the red sox via their matsuzaka bid.

talk about hindsight gm. you can't assume i would be saying anything if daisuke was signed by the yankees...because he wasn't.
    and if the yankees had won the rights to matsuzaka with their $32 million bid, they never would have signed pettitte or clemens (for roughly a combined $34 million in 2007). and short-term deals such as these work much better for the yankees based on the strength of their minor league pitching right now. so you got the guy who best fits your plans and we got the guy who best fits ours. and LOTS of money was thrown around by everyone involved.

this is all true.
    even still, the red sox probably would have written the very same check for roger clemens had they been given the opportunity. but the yankees were the only team that he ended up offering his services to.

i disagree. his agents said the reason he signed with the yanks was because of being able to pitch june 1st and i call
    bullshit. supposedly the sox and astros wanted him on the same timeframe/timetable he was on last year - and i could have sworn i heard 100 times that he wanted to make an announcement the end of may and start pitching around the all-star break...or did he have 28 million pro-rated reasons as to why he should sign now?
    and let me remind you that not too many people were complaining when the astros overpaid for clemens in '05 and '06. that's because they're the astros, not the yankees. and that's how it works. people love to hate the yankees. and i understand this. so if your way of dealing with this situation is to play the role of "red sox fan in the yankees thread," then by all means continue to do so. we expect it, believe me. but just understand that the monetary argument no longer applies for you guys.

i just think it is a joke that a pitcher gets a pro-rated contract to play for 4 months regardless of the team. and i'm probably the most levelheaded red sox fan who hates the yankees. i could be a huge dick rather than somewhat rational.

***edit - man i screwed up the quotes***
  • JSBE wrote:
    if that was your point, you just could have said that.

it was clearly implied that this was my point when i first brought up matsuzaka.

and you're absolutely right that i don't know whether or not you would have been complaining if the yankees had won the bid, but i don't necessarily feel like it's an unfair assumption to make (especially given his current ERA). this is partially in consideration of the fact that you're criticizing the pavano signing, knowing very well that the red sox offered him the same $40 million (as did the tigers and orioles, i believe). luckily for you guys, he chose new york.

and time will tell whether or not the drew, lugo, and matsuzaka signings will work out. i'm not gonna predict that now. but my comment about writing checks was based on the notion that they seemingly gave a lot more money to drew, lugo, and the seibu lions than anyone else would have. and that's fine by me, because it (theoretically) deflects some of the attention away from the yankees' overspending when the red sox do it too.

i honestly do think the yankees had a better team on paper at the start of '07 than they did in '06. they subtracted what were basically unnecessary clubhouse distractions and replaced them with pitching depth. then they added a proven big-game pitcher in andy pettitte. would that have been enough if they hadn't had all the injury problems? i'd like to think so, but who really knows? and honestly, given the state of the free agent market, what else could cashman have realistically done? i've gone on record as saying that even if the yankees don't win it all this year, they've taken great steps to improve their long-term outlook.

you know i won't argue with you about igawa. that was a bullshit move from day one. panic was the only factor. they optioned him to class-A tampa a few hours ago. at this point, i'm just hoping that he can pitch well enough to eat up some middle-relief innings and take some of the strain off the bullpen, like he did against boston (that may have been the yankees' most clutch performance so far this year, not that it justifies the $46 million).

maybe boston would have matched the offer on clemens, maybe they wouldn't have. all we really know is that clemens chose to approach the yankees first with his $28 million asking price. i would like to believe that this was at least partially because he still has a lot of teammates and friends on the yankees who he talks to on a regular basis. yeah, the amount of money the yankees spent is ridiculous, and it is definitely a joke that he can continue to get away with this. but whether or not the move works out, it was one that the yankees had to make.
    JSBE wrote:
    i'm probably the most levelheaded red sox fan who hates the yankees. i could be a huge dick rather than somewhat rational.

i agree. that's why i respond to your posts instead of the other yankee haters who post in this thread. most of them do a very good job of disproving their own points. they don't need any help. :)

i could act like much more of a dick, too. but as a yankee fan, it's already implied that i'm gonna take a lot of shit from fans of other teams. why make it even worse for myself?
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Nice outing by DeSalvo tonight.

Igawa was sent to the Yanks A ball team in Tampa to work on his mechanics. So that means Rasner stays in the rotation until Hughes or Clemens get here. Sounds like Hughes is ahead of schedule and the injury isnt as bad as first thought.
    Brian
  • NCBRI wrote:
    Nice outing by DeSalvo tonight.

great outing. it's too bad the second base umpire didn't think he should have a chance to get the win.
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    great outing. it's too bad the second base umpire didn't think he should have a chance to get the win.

Mariano Rivera taught the kid a lesson too. ;)
  • AstroFan wrote:
    Mariano Rivera taught the kid a lesson too. ;)

yeah, well that'll happen. they just as easily could have lost the game regardless of the call at second. it's just frustrating since it wasn't even a close play...

painful game all around, despite desalvo's great effort. the close ones always hurt...

abreu and cano need to get their acts together...
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Glad the M's at least split the series.
    yeah, well that'll happen. they just as easily could have lost the game regardless of the call at second. it's just frustrating since it wasn't even a close play...

painful game all around, despite desalvo's great effort. the close ones always hurt...

abreu and cano need to get their acts together...

Yep, leaving too many guys on base (20 last night) will come back to haunt you.
    Brian
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    A-Rod's back with the homerun.
    I miss igotid88
    Apparently Roger isn't just the most expensive pitcher ever. He's also the most expensive pitching coach ever. He's been working with Hughes down in Tampa. What better guy to learn from. Maybe he will get him on board with the workout program like he did Pettitte also.
    Brian
    NCBRI wrote:
    Apparently Roger isn't just the most expensive pitcher ever. He's also the most expensive pitching coach ever. He's been working with Hughes down in Tampa. What better guy to learn from. Maybe he will get him on board with the workout program like he did Pettitte also.

Hee hee. That's cool. I hope they get back up here in a hurry! Man oh man. We have our work cut out for us being 8 1/2 back.

And 10 bucks says Clemens debuts in the Boston series June 1st.

Edit: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18679503/ Now they're saying he could come in by May 28th but I think there's more 'drama' involved if he pitches in Boston.
    Tonight's game was rained out. Did Boston win?
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • NCBRI wrote:

that's part of his contract, actually. he's supposed to spend time working with the prospects.

it may be the most important part of his contract at this point. it's kind of ironic that as soon as they threw $28 million at the guy, rasner and desalvo immediately stepped up to fill out the rotation better than anybody could have hoped for... AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE TEAM CAN'T HIT!

they were the best offensive team in the league back in april when they were throwing guys like chase wright into the fire. not anymore. i really don't know what's wrong with this team. i'm sure they'll pull it together at some point, but it may be too late already.
    YES The Tigers won!

(And Boston lost!) Sweet.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • pjscreamerpjscreamer Posts: 599
    Alright boys time to TCB Elvis style baby(taking care of business)starting tonite Da kid will be sporting Da pinstripes tonite and Sat.Hopefully D Bombers will be in a better position this time in 2 weeks we Da kid heads up to Fenway to invade enenmy territory.
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
    24)MSG I,II
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,237
    i'll be there tommorow in the upper deck..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    i'll be there tommorow in the upper deck..

Hopefully from there you won't get too close a look at the beating we put on you punks.

LETS GO METS!
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
    it is what it is, i don't take baseball too seriously, i just like watching.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    "I was wrong for doing that stuff."

Giambi's words about steroids. He also said baseball owes its fans an apology for the whole 'roids mess. I guess Giambi is still rehabbing his image after leaving OAK for the big NYY bucks and then copping to juice.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    bottom 4th y 2, m 1
    3-2 mets now, endy chavez two-run home run to right field. it seems guys like chavez almost always homer after the manager takes the bunt sign off. nice play by andy pettitte to just get gomez at the bag.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    Yet another pitcher hurt on a another grounder up the middle. He's out for a couple of months.

I have come to the point where I litterally hate both Myers and Vizcaino.

Nice to see Villone back up. I thought he pitched pretty well last year.

I thought I'd seen everything until yesterday when Cano's throw to first bounced off his own foot.

Hip hip Jorge! This guy is on fire! Its a shame that he is getting very little notice thanks to the team's garbage play.
    Brian
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    broken index finger

renders a pitcher useless.

what a streak of luck, let the black cloud blow out over the ocean already . !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    nice game by the kid tonight.
    jorge posada is awesome.

somebody please wake up johnny damon.

lets go yankees
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside