2007 Yankees

Comments

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    How about the fact that he personally made the announcement from the press box to the stadium crowd during the game? I've never seen such a spectacle, and it reeks of desperation.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    Brainofdz wrote:
    How about the fact that he personally made the announcement from the press box to the stadium crowd during the game? I've never seen such a spectacle, and it reeks of desperation.
    Really? How so?

I thought it was kind of neat. It was like rallying up the troops, so to speak.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Allie02 wrote:
    That's still too much money for 1 year. He's not that good any more. They're paying his reputation. He's unproven. If we don't win the World Series this will look like a retarded move.

Wait, Roger Clemens, with around 330 wins, is unproven? Say what you want about the guy, but unproven?
  • Allie02 wrote:
    <yawn>
    Y'all will fall apart by August, no worries :)

I seem to vaguely remember a team falling apart last August. Something about the Boston Massacre? Only the 2006 Massacre was far bloodier than the 18th century one.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Wait, Roger Clemens, with around 330 wins, is unproven? Say what you want about the guy, but unproven?
    i have to agree with this, i know shocker isnt it. but the mans has had at least 100 wins in every decade since hes been in the majors. i may not like the guy alot, but i sure as fuck respect him for what his done on the field. its really sad ill probably never get a chance to see him pitch
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,457
    AstroFan wrote:
    I wouldn't go as far as saying it's not possible, but I already went over it on the other page.

In any case, the best pitcher of this generation(and the last generation, and the one before that :p) is far from 'unproven'.

(I'm still expecting the Red Sox to win the division...)
    greg maddux is a better pitcher....

and has ALWAYS been a better pitcher......

and he isnt a fucking steroid freak like clemens........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Allie02 wrote:
    Really? How so?

I thought it was kind of neat. It was like rallying up the troops, so to speak.

I'm sure if I were a Yankee fan, I would have liked it, but i had a sideshow feel to it. I guess i'm a traditionalist, and thats not the way things are done in baseball.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    AstroFan wrote:
    He won't get 28 mill, that's the equivalent of what he would make if he did play the whole season. I think it'll be closer to 18-19.

$18,000,000. shit then he's a bargain. :rolleyes: LMFAO!!
    i think there's too much money in professional sport. and yeah i know that some of you will say it's about time the players(who do all the work) get rewarded instead of those fat cat owners reaping it all in. and i hear you but i can't help but feel the world is out of kilter.

anyhoo GO METS!!!!!!!!! :D:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

I was thinking faster than I was typing, sorry--I mean to say that he's 44 and there's no way to guarantee how he'll do this year.. like if he really is in shape, if he's 'ready to go,' you know?

Does he really do steroids? Not to sound naive but I never heard that about him...
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • JSBE wrote:
    so 6 years and $52 mil for matsuzaka's SALARY is too much? so that's how much less per year than the yanks wasted on pavano?

i really don't want to hear about the posting fee because that went to the seibu lions and was a one time, non-salary cap fee...no one seems to bring up the $26mil the yanks blew for igawa...

i'll be the first one to admit that the yankees have made a lot of bad pitching signings in the last few years, as have many teams (how's matt clement holding up?). we could sit here all day and night going back and forth about who shouldn't have signed who and play us a nice little game of "hindsight GM"... it's just like the real thing except that we don't get paid and it's a complete waste of time.

the point i was making before is that red sox fans are no longer in any position to be complaining about the yankees' spending. igawa aside, brian cashman did a good job this offseason of clearing payroll and spending wisely in order to give the yankees the opportunity to strike when clemens became available. boston, on the other hand, was handing out checks to anyone who would take them.

the yankees bid $32 million to talk to matsuzaka. if they had won with this bid, you would be right here in this very same thread complaining about how ridiculous that was. but as it stands, the red sox won. and for some reason, you want to pretend like their $51 million bid is completely irrelevant in the argument about overspending for pitchers. igawa was a terrible signing, but that bid was based largely on a market that had already been established by the red sox via their matsuzaka bid.

and if the yankees had won the rights to matsuzaka with their $32 million bid, they never would have signed pettitte or clemens (for roughly a combined $34 million in 2007). and short-term deals such as these work much better for the yankees based on the strength of their minor league pitching right now. so you got the guy who best fits your plans and we got the guy who best fits ours. and LOTS of money was thrown around by everyone involved.

even still, the red sox probably would have written the very same check for roger clemens had they been given the opportunity. but the yankees were the only team that he ended up offering his services to.

and let me remind you that not too many people were complaining when the astros overpaid for clemens in '05 and '06. that's because they're the astros, not the yankees. and that's how it works. people love to hate the yankees. and i understand this. so if your way of dealing with this situation is to play the role of "red sox fan in the yankees thread," then by all means continue to do so. we expect it, believe me. but just understand that the monetary argument no longer applies for you guys.
    Brainofdz wrote:
    I'm sure if I were a Yankee fan, I would have liked it, but i had a sideshow feel to it. I guess i'm a traditionalist, and thats not the way things are done in baseball.

I suppose, but you know Steinbrenner and Co. like a big 'show,' a big to do about things...

For a Yankee fan it was like, holy crap, am I seeing this? Is this for real? I made a joke about on April Fool's Day but I had a feeling it was going to happen :)

Edit: Mike Francesa just said "Even for the Yankees, it was over the top"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    i have to agree with this, i know shocker isnt it. but the mans has had at least 100 wins in every decade since hes been in the majors. i may not like the guy alot, but i sure as fuck respect him for what his done on the field. its really sad ill probably never get a chance to see him pitch
    I don't really like him either but I think its neat he's coming back.

Whad'ya mean, you'll never go to Yankee Stadium?
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    greg maddux is a better pitcher....

and has ALWAYS been a better pitcher......

They're probably both in the top 10 all-time, but Clemens has had the better career.

Clemens has a 144 ERA+ in 4817.7 innings
    Maddux has a 136 ERA+ in in 4652.7 innings

Clemens' career DERA(Defense-adjusted ERA) is 3.22
    Maddux's career DERA is 3.59

Through 2001(so not counting the 3 great seasons in Houston)
    Clemens had 352 win shares
    Maddux had 317 win shares

And since then, Clemens has had 2 1/2 Cy Young caliber seasons.
    Allie02 wrote:
    I don't really like him either but I think its neat he's coming back.

Whad'ya mean, you'll never go to Yankee Stadium?
    ill never step foot in yankee stadium again, i went to a game once and thats it for me.i hate the boss to much to give him my money.

• Brainofdz wrote:

as a yankee fan, i agree with you. i didn't think it was entirely appropriate for him to interrupt the game.

but whatever... i'll take it... you know?
    AstroFan wrote:
    They're probably both in the top 10 all-time, but Clemens has had the better career.

Clemens has a 144 ERA+ in 4817.7 innings
    Maddux has a 136 ERA+ in in 4652.7 innings

Clemens' career DERA(Defense-adjusted ERA) is 3.22
    Maddux's career DERA is 3.59

Through 2001(so not counting the 3 great seasons in Houston)
    Clemens had 352 win shares
    Maddux had 317 win shares

And since then, Clemens has had 2 1/2 Cy Young caliber seasons.

Yeah but Greg Maddux never threw a broken bat at anybody :) "Oh I didn't know what I had in my hand!..." Yeah right! .. eh..
    And has he given back the Hummer he got as a retirement gift yet?
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Allie02 wrote:
    Does he really do steroids? Not to sound naive but I never heard that about him...

There hasn't been any proof, but it's just something people say if 1) The player is good at baseball, and 2) They don't like him.
    Allie02 wrote:
    Yeah but Greg Maddux never threw a broken bat at anybody :) "Oh I didn't know what I had in my hand!..." Yeah right! .. eh..
    And has he given back the Hummer he got as a retirement gift yet?

He came back to New York this year so he wouldn't have to give it back.
    ill never step foot in yankee stadium again, i went to a game once and thats it for me.i hate the boss to much to give him my money.

Oh. Well then see you and me would never get along ;) Hee hee..

j/k. I understand. It is PRICEY in there. $8.00 for a BEER. Families can't afford to go! Technically you'd be giving your $ to pay Clemens' and everybody's salaries, though, no?
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    as a yankee fan, i agree with you. i didn't think it was entirely appropriate for him to interrupt the game.

but whatever... i'll take it... you know?
    It was in between innings, wasn't it? It's replaying on YES right now.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    AstroFan wrote:
    He came back to New York this year so he wouldn't have to give it back.
    But he's not retired! He got it as a gift for RETIRING :) Bogus. He could buy 12 hummers with the $ he's being paid.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Allie02 wrote:
    Edit: Mike Francesa just said "Even for the Yankees, it was over the top"

that was absolutely hilarious when he kept replaying suzyn waldman's screaming tirade.
    Allie02 wrote:
    It was in between innings, wasn't it?

yeah, but i get what brainofdz is saying. it seemed like a bit much to me too. although maybe it just seemed like a bigger deal than it actually was with the way YES presented it.
    Allie02 wrote:
    Oh. Well then see you and me would never get along ;) Hee hee..

j/k. I understand. It is PRICEY in there. $8.00 for a BEER. Families can't afford to go! Technically you'd be giving your $ to pay Clemens' and everybody's salaries, though, no?
    haha, yes techinally i would be.it is really sad how baseball is pricey these days

that was absolutely hilarious when he kept replaying suzyn waldman's screaming tirade.

yeah, but i get what brainofdz is saying. it seemed like a bit much to me too. although maybe it just seemed like a bigger deal than it actually was with the way YES presented it.

I know! I heard that too. "Somebody sedate her!" I can't stand her, such a yenta, I was so glad when she went to radio.

I guess that's true, they were acting like the King of England just came over and blessed the Stadium. But I thought it was pretty neat. I thought it was surreal, actually, I was like "WHAT? No way?" I had to switch to ESPN to make sure it was really real! Then I was like Holy Crap!
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    haha, yes techinally i would be.it is really sad how baseball is pricey these days
    It's absurd. That's what I was saying, at the Opening Day game, its like a family can't even bring their kids, its too expensive. I don't think that's everywhere, I think its' just at Yankee Stadium though? Is Shea that expensive?
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Allie02 wrote:
    I was thinking faster than I was typing, sorry--I mean to say that he's 44 and there's no way to guarantee how he'll do this year.. like if he really is in shape, if he's 'ready to go,' you know?

Oh, well in that case, I agree with you. I've been saying since last winter that if he came back, that he'd be good, but by no means great. I think he'll probably double his ERA from last year. Big jump from NL Central to AL East, where the the worst team (Tampa) has a great lineup, probably better than any NL Central lineup 1-9 (giving the NL Central team a DH) I'm guessing he'll finish the year 11-6, about a 3.85 ERA. No matter what, a significant upgrade over Pavano and Igawa. I'm also hoping he'll be a Greg Maddux type player/coach with Hughes, Bruney, and any other kids that hang around in the bigs. I could actually see Karstens becoming a Clemens protege.
    Allie02 wrote:
    It's absurd. That's what I was saying, at the Opening Day game, its like a family can't even bring their kids, its too expensive. I don't think that's everywhere, I think its' just at Yankee Stadium though? Is Shea that expensive?
    i agree with all of that. i havent been to a met game in 2 years. last time i went was piazza's final game as a met.

• Allie02 wrote:
    I know! I heard that too. "Somebody sedate her!" I can't stand her, such a yenta, I was so glad when she went to radio.

I guess that's true, they were acting like the King of England just came over and blessed the Stadium. But I thought it was pretty neat. I thought it was surreal, actually, I was like "WHAT? No way?" I had to switch to ESPN to make sure it was really real! Then I was like Holy Crap!

I wish they kept Steiner around. He's better than Sterling and Kay both
  • i agree with all of that. i havent been to a met game in 2 years. last time i went was piazza's final game as a met.

I'm with you guys. I go to about a game a year, when someone gets free tickets and can't use, or offers to bring me. Last game I went to was Game 1, yankees/Tigers. The tickets (bleachers) were $25 each. Parking was $60.
    Allie02 wrote:
    But he's not retired! He got it as a gift for RETIRING :) Bogus. He could buy 12 hummers with the $ he's being paid.

They gave him that because he was retiring as a Yankee, which he will do in about 8 years after a couple more stops in Boston and Houston ;)