2007 Yankees

Comments

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    What I don't get is if Jeter says the other day that 'it's not Torre's fault...he's not even on the field', then how can all of this be attributed to the strength coach, when the guy's not even in the dugout??? these are pro athletes for christ sakes!
    I love to turn you on
  • Abreu,Damon, Matsui are both 1 for the last 89 i think. A-rod and Cano are not hitting so well now either. Might be time to send this new hitting coach packing as well.

damon is injured. he should be on the DL because he's completely useless right now. but at any rate, that's why he's not hitting. matsui had two doubles this afternoon, so maybe he's starting to turn it around. i don't know what the hell is wrong with abreu. he looks completely lost out there.

BTW, they're saying that game 2 is going to start 45 minutes to an hour late because of the rain.
  • cilcia wrote:
    What I don't get is if Jeter says the other day that 'it's not Torre's fault...he's not even on the field', then how can all of this be attributed to the strength coach, when the guy's not even in the dugout??? these are pro athletes for christ sakes!

bobby abreu: strained oblique
    chien-ming wang: strained hamstring
    jeff karstens: strained forearm, broken leg (obviously not the coach's fault)
    johnny damon: two strained calves, strained back muscle (i think?)
    hideki matsui: strained hamstring
    carl pavano: strained forearm
    mike mussina: strained hamstring
    phil hughes: strained hamstring

am i missing any?

that's a lot of muscle strains, especially this early in the season. maybe those injuries weren't the strength and conditioning coach's fault, but it's certainly not that big of a stretch (no pun intended) to assume that some of them were.

johnny damon said that he opted out of the strength coach's program because he didn't think it was working for him. he reached this decision after straining both of his calf muscles on opening day.

the yankees' slow start clearly has very little (if anything) to do with cashman or torre. that's all i know.
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    George was mad so they had to fire somebody.

They're starting the 2nd game now.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070503&content_id=1944392&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Darrell Rasner will start Sunday and Matt DeSalvo will go on Monday. Looks like we will have a 6 man rotation for at least a week. Also, Pavano wants to see Dr. Andrews. We know how that usually turns out.
    Brian
  • Reynaldo6Reynaldo6 Posts: 80
    the Yankees pitching staff is all jacked up. There is 5 starting pitchers out. They need to cut mike myers. he is by far the worst pitcher i have seen in a long time for the Yankees
    I'll wait up in the dark
    For you to speak to me
    I'll open up
    Release me
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    Reynaldo6 wrote:
    the Yankees pitching staff is all jacked up. There is 5 starting pitchers out. They need to cut mike myers. he is by far the worst pitcher i have seen in a long time for the Yankees

no, no, no. get rid of farnsworth before meyers.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Rumor has it....
    Mr. Carl Pavano.....needs tommy john surgery. 18 more months on the shelf and 18 more million $$ in his pocket.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
    Anyone seeing this game vs Seattle? This is absurd! 15-11 and they still might tie it up...
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Allie02 wrote:
    Anyone seeing this game vs Seattle? This is absurd! 15-11 and they still might tie it up...

i was listening to it on the radio here at work. got extremely disgusted in the fifth.
    ~Michael Bolton
    moeaholic wrote:
    i was listening to it on the radio here at work. got extremely disgusted in the fifth.

Indeed. Things do not bode well in Yankee world. :( They had the bases loaded, and Damon popped up and walked off the field limping, and then Derek went 0-for 6 to end his hitting streak and the game.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Reynaldo6 wrote:

Myers did well tonight (Friday). He's pitching more than he has last year.
    I miss igotid88
  • So the Red Sox are in first place. And the other four teams in the AL East are all tied for last place at 6 1/2 games back. Wow.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    So the Red Sox are in first place. And the other four teams in the AL East are all tied for last place at 6 1/2 games back. Wow.

and it'll all change about a million times throughout the season.
    ~Michael Bolton
  • moeaholic wrote:
    and it'll all change about a million times throughout the season.

Yes, but that wasn't the point of what I said. You don't see that everyday.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • Being superstitous, I will not say why, but everyone should probably put the yankee game on now
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    perfect game and no hitter is out. and shutout
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    perfect game and no hitter is out. and shutout

Well hey at least we got a win and a great pitching performance. We have the new recruits going tomorrow and Monday! Yipes!
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Yes, but that wasn't the point of what I said. You don't see that everyday.

oh, i agree. when i saw those standings my first thought was exactly that: "wow, you don't see that everyday".
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Allie02 wrote:

even in the most uncertain times, nomaas.org never fails to make me laugh:

http://www.nomaas.org/images/igawascranton.jpg
  • Roger Clemens has apparently signed with the Yankees.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    Sounds like the Yankees just brought in an adequate pitcher to eat some innings..... thus ending the Astros season.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    damn, The Rocket, damn.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    If they can be healthy, I really love a rotation of Wang, Pettitte, Clemens, Mussina, and Hughes. I think that is as good as any. And a shutout today to boot. Big day in the Bronx!
    Brian
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Screw the Rocket. His arrogance show big time by going to the Yanks. He has nothing to prove and should retire. Worts of luck to him and the Yanks this season, no playoffs for you!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Should retire? Why? Could you imagine playing baseball your entire life, and being one of the best ever? Why would you want to quit that?
    I'm an Astro fan(if you couldn't guess), and I don't like the Yankees, so it's a double whammy for me.

But even I want to see Clemens continue to pitch, even if it is in New York. He has a legitimate claim at being the best pitcher ever, and I want to see how long he can last before turning into Steve Carlton.

Besides, I have him stashed away in a couple fantasy leagues ;)
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    icarus wrote:
    eh, he won't be that great in the AL.

You're right - he was HORRIBLE in the AL... :rolleyes:
  • dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568
    pureoc wrote:
    Screw the Rocket. His arrogance show big time by going to the Yanks. He has nothing to prove and should retire. Worts of luck to him and the Yanks this season, no playoffs for you!!!

Im sick of him. I dont care if he retires, I just wish he would get off his ass and play a whole season. If he wants to play then play, if he doesnt then retire, but this sitting out half the year is nothing but arrogance and drama on his part.
    stpmattb wrote:
    You're right - he was HORRIBLE in the AL... :rolleyes:

In his last 2 years in the AL he had ERA's of 4.35 and 3.91, but he didn't have a very good defense behind him.

In 2003...

Giambi played 732 innings at 1st
    Soriano played 1376 innings at 2nd
    Jeter played 1033 innings at SS.

Only 1 of those players will be fielding balls on a regular basis, and Jeter has slightly improved his defense since then.

I expect Clemens to be better than he was in 02/03, but perhaps not as dominant as he was in Houston. We'll see.