my older brother wants to get engaged ..

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I guess people just have different budgets... and some people see the amount you spend as proof of your love. I can understand that. If someone gave me a 25,000 ring I wouldn't say no :D but after I found out how much it was worth, I reckon I'd suggest we cash it in, get something maybe for 1,500 and live like kings and queens for a few months :)

there'd be no point.. cos if he can afford 25k on a ring then he must be able to afford to live like a king anyway.

i'm one of those folks who if i won the lottery and had £5,000,000 in the bank i still couldnt buy a shirt that cost more than £200... i think its called being 'scottish' :D .... but seriously i couldnt do that... i'd spend £38483 on a toilet that had a tv on the bottom of it so that when you peed on it it would change channel or something.. but £200 on a shirt.. fucking no chance
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    dunkman wrote:
    thats fucking obscene... for $25000 you could do a lot more than a shiny ring... i'd rather be single than be with someone who wanted a ring for that much... plus $25000 can buy you a lot of hookers.

This is true, and if my girl wore a fucking 25k ring on her finger, i'd be worried everyday that she'd be killed and/or robbed on the subway for it..Hell, even i'd probably steal that shit at some point..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • I guess people just have different budgets...

I actually don't know if it's about budget. people nowadays (especially in the U.S.) have a nasty habit of thinking they "need" things they can't afford.
  • haha no I know. I know that a LOT of people feel it necessary to spend this much on a ring. I just think it's a really screwy institution...I mean think of what you could do with the $25K after you get married, if you have kids. you could start a decent college fund with that.

maybe it's because I've studied economics for so long...I always think it terms of choices and value and relative prices etc. I just have trouble justifying this kind of thing to myself.
    well I'm guessing if you can afford that kinda ring, college funds aren't an issue anyway

but I see dunk already has that one covered :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • The Champ wrote:
    This is true, and if my girl wore a fucking 25k ring on her finger, i'd be worried everyday that she'd be killed and/or robbed on the subway for it..Hell, even i'd probably steal that shit at some point..
    My favourite ring... considering how long ago I bought it in Turkey and how much it was worth then and all that stuff is probably worth maybe 700euro or something. When I got it, it was the first white gold sparkley thing I had and walking around Turkey with that on my hand, it was probably the first timein my life I felt vulnerable... cos if light hit off of it the fucking thing would shine for miles. So I kinda kept my hand hidden which defeated the purpose :D and I suppose I've gotten used to it now... but 25,000 :eek: I'd want to keep that in a safe.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • well I'm guessing if you can afford that kinda ring, college funds aren't an issue anyway

but I see dunk already has that one covered :)

well, it is possible, but as I said in my last post, budget and "affording" things really don't seem to matter in this country anymore. I mean, I'm sure this guy is financing the ring. It's possible he's got $25k spare in the checking account, but unlikely.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    The Champ wrote:

his girlfriend played softball in college ,,she used to work for the yankees
    and i have personally witnessed her hit a hardball to deep right at the stadium (maybe 240-250 ft when we played a pickup game during the offseason
    point being she can handle herself plus she carries a few weapons of choice in her bag lol
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I can see that, but when it comes down to it, it's a rock. it's a piece of rock you wear on your finger. it just goes to show the state of our society when people don't think twice about spending that much on something that really has no practical use. After a few weeks, it's just a ring. She'll put it on every day and it'll just become part of getting dressed in the morning.

I whole heartedly disagree with this statement in a HUGE way. we each see things differently. while i respect your opinion, not everyone thinks like that.
    jewelry has no practical use period - it doesn't dry clothes, cook dinner, etc. nor is it supposed to.

however, an engagement ring and wedding band is a SYMBOL of love. it is representative of a loving union between 2 people that can be handed down generation to generation.

i LOVE the fact that i have my mom's wedding band that my dad gave to her on their wedding day....a day i was not present (obviously) and my dad is no longer here. it is something i can have forever, that even remains once they are gone as a memory.

it is unfortunate that you only see it as part of a wardrobe, but many others do not. and if people have the $$, they have an absolute right to sepnd it as they please.

okay now that i just got all sappy i think i am going to go to the bathroom and puke :)
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    point being she can handle herself plus she carries a few weapons of choice in her bag lol

i dont think a slightly damp vibrator would put off a crack hungry mugger though ;)

25k for a ring.. its nuts.. plus there is the whole tipping shit to think about.. 10% on top of that is $27500... minus some tax and all that crap...

wait.. you dont tip jewelers do you??? no fucking wonder at 25k a ring... they probably use gold leaf to wipe their arse
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    however, an engagement ring and wedding band is a SYMBOL of love. it is representative of a loving union between 2 people that can be handed down generation to generation.

thats right its a symbol... and symbols dont have to be diamond encrusted and worth more than an Indian persons house... like i said, even if i had $8 million in the bank i'd still not buy jewelery like that... its just to show off.
    dunkman wrote:
    i dont think a slightly damp vibrator would put off a crack hungry mugger though ;)

25k for a ring.. its nuts.. plus there is the whole tipping shit to think about.. 10% on top of that is $27500... minus some tax and all that crap...

wait.. you dont tip jewelers do you??? no fucking wonder at 25k a ring... they probably use gold leaf to wipe their arse

tip?? no we dont do that

but again its gonna be 15,000 out of pocket and the rest is coming from the diamond he already has

so its only 15,000
    dunkman wrote:
    thats right its a symbol... and symbols dont have to be diamond encrusted and worth more than an Indian persons house... like i said, even if i had $8 million in the bank i'd still not buy jewelery like that... its just to show off.

some people spend thousands on sports memorabilia b/c it is something they enjoy. just b/c you like a ring that has a perfect stone and may be large does not necessarily mean you are "showing off" - you can just like the style and look of the ring.

everyone spends their money differently - i dont think it's anyone's place to judge. that's all.
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    his girlfriend played softball in college ,,she used to work for the yankees
    and i have personally witnessed her hit a hardball to deep right at the stadium (maybe 240-250 ft when we played a pickup game during the offseason

Somehow I don't believe that a crazy fucker with a gun and/or a knife intend to do anything for that rock will be deterred by her baseball credentials, especially if he or she is a Met fan....and my girl used to be a newspaper reporter and I still fear for her safety, even when she doesn't :)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    dunkman wrote:

its really not

i mean lets be realistic,,most girls would be in love w/ anything
    and if they wouldnt then they dont deserve it anyway

but deep down everybody would like to wear something different and unique
    and with today's prices it means alot of money

like my gf says "i dont care what it is" but i personally would never put a ring with a value of less than $7,500- 10,000 on her finger
    and im broke
    u want them to have something extra special imo
  • I whole heartedly disagree with this statement in a HUGE way. we each see things differently. while i respect your opinion, not everyone thinks like that.
    jewelry has no practical use period - it doesn't dry clothes, cook dinner, etc. nor is it supposed to.

i LOVE the fact that i have my mom's wedding band that my dad gave to her on their wedding day....a day i was not present (obviously) and my dad is no longer here. it is something i can have forever, that even remains once they are gone as a memory.

it is unfortunate that you only see it as part of a wardrobe, but many others do not. and if people have the $$, they have an absolute right to sepnd it as they please.

okay now that i just got all sappy i think i am going to go to the bathroom and puke :)

I get the *idea* of it being a symbol of love and all that. But Tiffany's doesn't care about that, DeBeers doesn't care about that. They care about obnoxious mark up. And one can only buy what they provide. If you went out and designed the ring yourself, that would be really cool. If you used stones that meant something to you other than DeBeers says you have to a have a diamond for your engagement ring...that would be different. I like the idea of airlooms (I have no idea how to spell that) but most people buy new rings for themselves.

when you just pay way too much for a ring that Tiffany's designed and DeBeers screwed over some Africans for, and you buy it based on the 4 C's, and you want it to cost a lot, and you buy it because that's just what done, it's stops being art, it stops having meaning. it stops being a "symbol of love." I just couldn't look at an overpriced commodity that some big corporation pumped out and think of it as representing my marriage. I think that would be really sad.

and there's a feminist issue with engagement rings as well, but I won't get into that.
    The Champ wrote:
    Somehow I don't believe that a crazy fucker with a gun and/or a knife intend to do anything for that rock will be deterred by her baseball credentials, especially if he or she is a Met fan....and my girl used to be a newspaper reporter and I still fear for her safety, even when she doesn't :)..

that was a joke obviously ,, but u cant walk around life fearing things like that
    and of course she would give it up,,thats why u get insurance on something like that
    I get the *idea* of it being a symbol of love and all that. But Tiffany's doesn't care about that, DeBeers doesn't care about that. They care about obnoxious mark up. And one can only buy what they provide. If you went out and designed the ring yourself, that would be really cool. If you used stones that meant something to you other than DeBeers says you have to a have a diamond for your engagement ring...that would be different. I like the idea of airlooms (I have no idea how to spell that) but most people buy new rings for themselves.

when you just pay way too much for a ring that Tiffany's designed and DeBeers screwed over some Africans for, and you buy it based on the 4 C's, and you want it to cost a lot, and you buy it because that's just what done, it's stops being art, it stops having meaning. it stops being a "symbol of love."

why anyone would go to those stores for rings is beyond me
    u need to have a jeweler,but thats another topic
    Also, that'll be a nice chunk of change for her once they divorce ;)...
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Also, that'll be a nice chunk of change for her once they divorce ;)...

if that ever happens we take the ring back,,like the first time
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    like my gf says "i dont care what it is" but i personally would never put a ring with a value of less than $7,500- 10,000 on her finger
    and im broke

a nice shiny key to a new house would be extra special... and $10k would go a lot towards that.

it is all opinion but my wife would have died a death if i'd spent that on a ring.. she'd be thinking... "...its one wee ring... i could have had a leather sofa,plasma tv, bought him a new guitar, holiday in Turin, new carpets, a salon makeover and still have change for a nice ring that i'll lose down the toilet anyway..."
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    i
    and im broke

you've just summed up the entire problem! why should $$$$$$="extra special"?
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    if that ever happens we take the ring back,,like the first time

Like the first time? And 'we.' I have visions of two big Italians 'getting' the ring back..haha....and I thought the chick only gives the ring back if the engagement is called off, not after marriage?
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'

because some girls do like big expensive diamonds. i suppose this one does.
    because some girls do like big expensive diamonds. i suppose this one does.

then those girls are as vacuous as Paris Hilton and them dumb fuckers.
    dunkman wrote:
    then those girls are as vacuous as Paris Hilton and them dumb fuckers.

hey easy there - this is his future sister in law :)
    dunkman wrote:
    a nice shiny key to a new house would be extra special... and $10k would go a lot towards that.

it is all opinion but my wife would have died a death if i'd spent that on a ring.. she'd be thinking... "...its one wee ring... i could have had a leather sofa,plasma tv, bought him a new guitar, holiday in Turin, new carpets, a salon makeover and still have change for a nice ring that i'll lose down the toilet anyway..."

I hear you on this Dunk. Everyone is different, but personally my fiancee would cut my balls off if I had spent above our means....Like someone said earlier, it's our money....and that money would be great to put towards our wedding, honeymoon, down payment, student loans etc..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Like the first time? And 'we.' I have visions of two big Italians 'getting' the ring back..haha....and I thought the chick only gives the ring back if the engagement is called off, not after marriage?

LOL - funny but good vision. have you met NY PJ1?

i believe legally it works like this:
    if he gives it as a gift - ie Christmas - she can keep it.

If it is given on a random day - he can get it back.

Get Right's a lawyer, he probably knows the deal - not sure he is here today...
    The Champ wrote:

he was married once b4 but that girl was a piece of trash as it turned out
    we did walk into her parents house and take the ring back
    she thought she was keeping it ..... wrong
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    first of all remember it's congrats to the dude whose getting engaged, seriously that's really cool. secondly to set a price on what is good and what isn't is kind of silly. through luck and connections i was able to get my fiancee an eternity band (diamonds all the way around) 3 diamond ring for our engagement for about $4100 (it's worth $7500 plus gold and diamonds almost always appreciate in value).

For some of you that's too much, for others that's too little. The point of the matter is that she saw a similar ring while on a trip with her best friend from college, and fell in love with it saying "I wish that could be my wedding ring" not ever expecting it to be true. As a grad student, money is not really flowing in at a high rate, but anyway I worked a few deals out and got the ring for the aforementioned price. The punch in the pocket was worth it for the look on her face when she got something she never dreamed she could have, that I got for her, and she gets to see everyday.

For a few of us that may seem shallow, that a physical gift could bring such happiness to a person, and perhaps that's partially true. Yet I think if you are giving a gift for the right reasons, and you have your heart and best intentions behind it why would you give someone a hard time for having a keepsake of their love even if you wouldn't do the same? On the flipside why would you put a price on what love means? Technically I was too cheap at $4100 b/c the ring was only 1/2 the price it should have been....sorry.

I'm happy to be engaged as I am sure our PJ friend's brother will be regardless of what others think, I guess I am arguing that we should just be happy for him and move on.
    LOL - funny but good vision. have you met NY PJ1?

i believe legally it works like this:
    if he gives it as a gift - ie Christmas - she can keep it.

If it is given on a random day - he can get it back.

Get Right's a lawyer, he probably knows the deal - not sure he is here today...

haha pretty good vision eh? lol

legal my butt,, that ring is coming back