my older brother wants to get engaged ..

Comments

• NY PJ1 wrote:
    plans in action,, my head is spinnig she is rattling things off to me lol

her opinion , she likes round because u can do more with it when u get a wedding band

but she likes emerald with more stones around the main one

i think she likes emerald better

its tough becuae my gf is very tiny where as bro's gf is alittle more full especially in the fingers

so this is crazy lol

and yes trix,,thats alll im thinking about wait till we get the call from hawaii that he did it and my gf hears :) that will be fun

Do you know what her ring size is?

Round is the most universally flattering. Emerald (if set lengthwise) can be a little less flattering on wider fingers. And, in my opinion, it's easier to pick out a really good round (even without seeing it live) than it is to pick out a really good fancy cut.

Those are my favorites, too.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    The Champ wrote:
    So I got my girl something like this: http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2675413&cp=2071133.2135901&fbx=0&cp=2071133&fbn=Stone+Shape%7CPrincess&f=PAD%2FRing+Style%2FSolitaire&f=PAD%2FStone+Shape%2FPrincess&fbc=1&categoryId=2135901&parentPage=search&searchId=22524955954

She's not flashy, so I knew she wouldn't be comfortable with a huge obnoxious rock. From a previous conversation regarding her mom's ring, I found out that she likes the princess cut. Also figured the white gold would go better with her olive complexion as opposed to yellow (okay my sister concluded that)...Finally, it helps to have a sister and/or a chick help the dude pick one out ;)..

thats nice,,me personally i think most are cool, , but again her fingers are gonna require something alittle bigger than that in terms of band size and look
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,831
    you tell her you are buying it for your wife/GF and that you need her opinion
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    NY PJ1 likes picking his ring
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    emerald is the call i think

so funny playing with people like that lol if she only knew she just picked her own style ring she would die
  • ChazzChazz Posts: 1,135
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    and he wants me to beat around the bush to his gf about what types of rings she likes,,, which i have no problem with

but dont u think she would tell me something other than what she likes in fear that i would get the ring for my gf ?

this is gonna be tricky

thoughts?

I would ask her to marry you then go pick the ring together (not very romantic I know, but I think its what a lot of women would prefer). Hopefully she'll be wearing it for a long time so you'll want to get it right (no pressure!)
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    and he wants me to beat around the bush to his gf about what types of rings she likes,,, which i have no problem with

but dont u think she would tell me something other than what she likes in fear that i would get the ring for my gf ?

this is gonna be tricky

thoughts?

i'd be more worried about her hinting to your gf that you're shopping for a ring for her.
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    yea but u girls chit chat to each other so hes gotta go w/ his blood....me lol

my friend never said a peep :) don't stereotype ;)
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    i'd be more worried about her hinting to your gf that you're shopping for a ring for her.

dum dee dumm dumm.....

that's what i am worried about - hence why i suggested asking one of her friends or family members.

men dig their own graves :) lol
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,230
    NY PJ1 wrote:

this is gonna be tricky

thoughts?

def don't have your girl seek the answer to this it could back fire on you ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    no no its for my brothers gf,,he asked me to make believe it was for my gf to get her opinion on what she likes
    That's what I meant :)

Champ, that's a nice one! I wouldn't like something flashy either, hmmmm...

*runs to look at pictures of engagement rings* :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Champ, that's a nice one! I wouldn't like something flashy either, hmmmm...

*runs to look at pictures of engagement rings* :D

Like you said, can't go wrong with a simple and beautiful white gold solitaire...So are you going to ask yourself to marry you ;)?
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    go with princess cut platinum...works for all types of tastes...
    I love to turn you on
    its over aand done she said emerald and my brother knows exactly what to get

mission accomplished ,,dam im good

and he is gonna give it to her while snorkeling in sharks cove on oahu

gonna make believe he found something in the water and bring that up lol

sounds cool
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    NY PJ1 wrote:

sounds cool
    Oh...that is so romantic! I almost shed a tear...oh my.
    That is awesome. I would just die.
    good job J
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • The Champ wrote:
    Like you said, can't go wrong with a simple and beautiful white gold solitaire...So are you going to ask yourself to marry you ;)?
    :) actually why not? I might just bring myself out for a nice meal tonight... perhaps head off to the beach afterwards and as I sit listening to the waves crashing... I could surprise myself by presenting myself with a nice white gold solitaire :) and then check into a hotel somewhere and... yeh, that's enough of that :D

well fuck it, I don't do anything ELSE by the norm! :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • NY PJ1 wrote:

sounds cool
    :eek: that's beautiful! :o

well done!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • lol, I can't imagine trying to find a ring to flatter one's fingers! do you actually have to consider the size and shape of the woman's fingers? that's crazy!

all these cuts and stuff look the same to me. I'm horrible with this girly stuff. people show me their engagement rings and I'm just "that's nice." I have no idea what makes one diamond ring different from another.

personally, I like hand-crafted, arty jewlery.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    he is gonna give it to her while snorkeling in sharks cove on oahu

Let's hope he doesn't forget to ask her to marry him afterwards..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    yea we can be romantic at times lol
  • The Champ wrote:
    Let's hope he doesn't forget to ask her to marry him afterwards..
    :eek: OR drop it!

ah gtd, i love girly stuff... I used to not be VERY much into it... but if it sparkles, I turn into a magpie :eek: no matter what it is... come to think of it, I'd be happy with tinfoil :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    :eek: OR drop it!

ah gtd, i love girly stuff... I used to not be VERY much into it... but if it sparkles, I turn into a magpie :eek: no matter what it is... come to think of it, I'd be happy with tinfoil :D

i was thinking about the dropping part,, i wouldimagine he wouldnt actually take it in the water but we use those things u wear around ur neck to keep ur stuff dry so it can be done
  • :eek: OR drop it!

you know what I like- opals. I was in san francisco last week and a bunch of the shops in chinatown had them in the windows. I was totally drawn to the sparkling.

I wish there were more places where you get really different, artistic jewelry. like I would love a really cool opal ring or something, but I wouldn't really know where to get it. Plus, it always seems weird to buy yourself expensive jewelry.
  • lol, I can't imagine trying to find a ring to flatter one's fingers! do you actually have to consider the size and shape of the woman's fingers? that's crazy!

Yeah. I didn't realize this until I tried a few on. My hands look like they belong on an 8 yr old, and certain styles/sizes/shapes looked ridiculous on me.
  • Yeah. I didn't realize this until I tried a few on. My hands look like they belong on an 8 yr old, and certain styles/sizes/shapes looked ridiculous on me.

man, this is like, harder than picking out a bike or a TV.

I was thinking a while back that if I had the money or whatever I would love to buy myself an engagement ring and then when people asked if I was engaged I'd just be like "nah." I'd love to see someone wear an engagement ring for the hell of it.
  • you know what I like- opals. I was in san francisco last week and a bunch of the shops in chinatown had them in the windows. I was totally drawn to the sparkling.

I wish there were more places where you get really different, artistic jewelry. like I would love a really cool opal ring or something, but I wouldn't really know where to get it. Plus, it always seems weird to buy yourself expensive jewelry.

Opals are incredible. The only problem with them is that they are prone to cracking. :( It's sad.

some interesting estate pieces on here:

http://www.ross-simons.com/Opal/Rings.html?cm_mmc=PPC-_-Yahoo-_-null-_-null
  • man, this is like, harder than picking out a bike or a TV.

I was thinking a while back that if I had the money or whatever I would love to buy myself an engagement ring and then when people asked if I was engaged I'd just be like "nah." I'd love to see someone wear an engagement ring for the hell of it.

Why the hell not?? :D:)
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    i was thinking about the dropping part,, i wouldimagine he wouldnt actually take it in the water but we use those things u wear around ur neck to keep ur stuff dry so it can be done
    :eek: yeh, he'd have to give it some thought... but then if HER hands are wet, what if it slips off before she gets back? :o Not trying to dissuade this but there are a few things could go wrong :o

GTD, I'm sure there are plenty of places like that... nothing wrong with buying yourself expensive jewellery either. I bought all my jewellery myself :o and there are a couple that were fairly costly in Turkey so they'd be worth much more here.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    Dude the giving is actually the scariest part if you want it to be a secret. I did it without having a box, and had it in my pocket while driving for about an hour. My, now fiancee, kept asking why i was constantly reaching into my pocket, and I told her that "I was just happy to see her". Crass I know, but it at least gave me an excuse to keep checking on it. But that was in the dark, and without a swimsuit, so I wish him luck. Either way, if that's how he's gonna do it, that is a pretty sweet way.
  • ryan198 wrote:
    D Either way, if that's how he's gonna do it, that is a pretty sweet way.

girls, do you care about how you're "asked"? You know do you expect some kind of big production or surprise or special location? I kinda think I'd rather just be asked out of nowhere on a regular day.