my older brother wants to get engaged ..

NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
and he wants me to beat around the bush to his gf about what types of rings she likes,,, which i have no problem with

but dont u think she would tell me something other than what she likes in fear that i would get the ring for my gf ?

this is gonna be tricky

thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Does she get on with your g/f?

Maybe she could sound her out for some ideas...Girls talk to each other, y'know what I mean?
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Does she get on with your g/f?

Maybe she could sound her out for some ideas...Girls talk to each other, y'know what I mean?

That's better than what I was going to say. I was going to ask why he wouldn't just ask his girlfriend what she'd like but I guess that's not very romantic.
  • this is something I don't get- if you're gonna marry someone, shouldn't you have an idea what their tastes are?

If a guy doesn't know that I hate diamonds and hate gold and really don't like the idea of engagement rings, I don't think I'd want him proposing.
  • this is something I don't get- if you're gonna marry someone, shouldn't you have an idea what their tastes are?

If a guy doesn't know that I hate diamonds and hate gold and really don't like the idea of engagement rings, I don't think I'd want him proposing.

Some girls say that, even if that's not what they mean. I mean if someone is going to ask to marry you, I'd think they'd buy you a ring even if you didn't want one. It's tradition :D
    NERDS!
  • I think she's going to know something is up if you start talking engagement rings with her. (I'm just assuming that you're not the kind of guy who typically talks about women's jewelry. ;) )

Have him put one of her friends on the case...
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Does she get on with your g/f?

yea but i dont want my gf involved because she is kinda looking forone also ,,and im not ready
    this is something I don't get- if you're gonna marry someone, shouldn't you have an idea what their tastes are?

he just wants an idea on what type of diamond cut

he knows what her tastes are ,,but not with engagement rings lol
  • Some girls say that, even if that's not what they mean. I mean if someone is going to ask to marry you, I'd think they'd buy you a ring even if you didn't want one. It's tradition :D

it's actually not a tradition. it was a marketing campaign started by DeBeers in the 1940s. And diamonds are not a traditional wedding stone, saphires are.

I dunno, I wouldn't want to walk around with that. it's a symbol that the woman is "taken" but men don't have to wear something when they're engaged. I don't like that. Plus it's kinda tacky. Plus diamonds are kinda sketchy, who knows whose hands were cut off or what little kid was forced into slavery to get them? And they're way over-priced. diamonds aren't rare, the supply is just held back.

but anyways, I digress from the topic.
    I think she's going to know something is up if you start talking engagement rings with her. (I'm just assuming that you're not the kind of guy who typically talks about women's jewelry. ;) )

Have him put one of her friends on the case...

hopefully not

i talk about personal issues with my bro's gf...were cool like that
    so she wouldnt think its for her ...i dont think
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    and he wants me to beat around the bush to his gf about what types of rings she likes,,, which i have no problem with

but dont u think she would tell me something other than what she likes in fear that i would get the ring for my gf ?

this is gonna be tricky

thoughts?

i'm more confused than Metsfan trying to lace his own shoes...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    i'm more confused than Metsfan trying to lace his own shoes...

thats a surprise ,, carry on dunk
  • it's actually not a tradition. it was a marketing campaign started by DeBeers in the 1940s. And diamonds are not a traditional wedding stone, saphires are.

I dunno, I wouldn't want to walk around with that. it's a symbol that the woman is "taken" but men don't have to wear something when they're engaged. I don't like that. Plus it's kinda tacky. Plus diamonds are kinda sketchy, who knows whose hands were cut off or what little kid was forced into slavery to get them? And they're way over-priced. diamonds aren't rare, the supply is just held back.

but anyways, I digress from the topic.
    It IS a tradition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claddagh_ring

and seriously... you're saying the man of your dreams gives you a diamond ring tomorrow and you'd give him that little speech? :eek: WOW!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Yeh, maybe the best way is to say you're looking for something for your gf... show her some kinda catalogue... you'll know within seconds which one she likes :D No woman could look at a catalogue of shiny stuff and not point out which one THEY'D like :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    It IS a tradition:

and seriously... you're saying the man of your dreams gives you a diamond ring tomorrow and you'd give him that little speech? :eek: WOW!

its actually even earlier than your stupid irish ring ;)

The inception of the engagement ring itself can be tied to the Fourth Lateran Council presided over by Pope Innocent III in 1215
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    its actually even earlier than your stupid irish ring ;)

The inception of the engagement ring itself can be tied to the Fourth Lateran Council presided over by Pope Innocent III in 1215
    :rolleyes: blah blah blah... that was just to prove my point. Claddagh is about all I know about wedding ring histories... it was just to prove that they at least were around before 1940 :rolleyes:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • It IS a tradition:

claddaghs are for weddings though are they not? Actually, if I got married, I'd really like to go to gallway to pick out nice claddagh wedding rings.

I know that wedding rings are tradition, but the diamond engagement ring as we do it today is not. See 'One Perfect Day' by Rebecca Mead.
  • ah I'm getting confused with wedding and engagement rings... I know nothing about engagement ring history.

I'm still not gonna say no if somebody gave me one :D (well depending on the question :eek: ) and yeh, I don't agree with a lot of the traditions... but the current 'tradition' has nothing to do with ownership.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    NY PJ1 wrote:

this is gonna be tricky

thoughts?
    Tell him to go with the classic Tiffany setting, white gold.
    http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?subCategoryid=1001

If she is a little more flashy, have the band set with channel stones.
    http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?sku=22135856

Round stone is the most popular with the brides I work with.

He can always go to the diamond district, pick the diamond and then get it set.
    For me, I would go for quality of the diamond of quantity of the carats.
    Cut, color and clarity are the most important, imo.

Do NOT have Snoop Dogg find out. You are just looking for trouble. :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    :rolleyes: blah blah blah... that was just to prove my point. Claddagh is about all I know about wedding ring histories... it was just to prove that they at least were around before 1940 :rolleyes:

well its diamond engagement rings that is the topic of discussion not pre-war silver wedding rings... keep up dear ;)
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    he should ask one of her friends, not you, to find out that info.

my ex husband took one of my best friends w/him to look for the ring so he was sure i would like it. smart idea ;)
  • Also if she already has jewellery it would say a lot as to what kinda jewellery she would like. Is it gold or white gold, understated, overstated, classy, tacky?

Most women would not turn away the classy white gold solitaire.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    plans in action,, my head is spinnig she is rattling things off to me lol

her opinion , she likes round because u can do more with it when u get a wedding band

but she likes emerald with more stones around the main one

i think she likes emerald better

its tough becuae my gf is very tiny where as bro's gf is alittle more full especially in the fingers

so this is crazy lol

and yes trix,,thats alll im thinking about wait till we get the call from hawaii that he did it and my gf hears :) that will be fun
    he should ask one of her friends, not you, to find out that info.

my ex husband took one of my best friends w/him to look for the ring so he was sure i would like it. smart idea ;)

yea but u girls chit chat to each other so hes gotta go w/ his blood....me lol
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    plans in action,, my head is spinnig she is rattling things off to me lol

her opinion , she likes round because u can do more with it when u get a wedding band

but she likes emerald with more stones around the main one

i think she likes emerald better

its tough becuae my gf is very tiny where as bro's gf is alittle more full especially in the fingers

so this is crazy lol

and yes trix,,thats alll im thinking about wait till we get the call from hawaii that he did it and my gf hears :) that will be fun

your brothers girlfriend told you all that? :eek: that's impressive!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    your brothers girlfriend told you all that? :eek: that's impressive!

the best is she is going crazy right now looking at a million different things,,,little does she know its for her
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    the best is she is going crazy right now looking at a million different things,,,little does she know its for her
    :D you said it was for your gf? I told ya that showing her pictures of them would be enough :D who said women are complicated? :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    So this?
    http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?sku=18965755

I prefer round.
    And I like the channel set around the band.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    :D you said it was for your gf? I told ya that showing her pictures of them would be enough :D who said women are complicated? :p

no no its for my brothers gf,,he asked me to make believe it was for my gf to get her opinion on what she likes
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    So I got my girl something like this: http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2675413&cp=2071133.2135901&fbx=0&cp=2071133&fbn=Stone+Shape%7CPrincess&f=PAD%2FRing+Style%2FSolitaire&f=PAD%2FStone+Shape%2FPrincess&fbc=1&categoryId=2135901&parentPage=search&searchId=22524955954

She's not flashy, so I knew she wouldn't be comfortable with a huge obnoxious rock. From a previous conversation regarding her mom's ring, I found out that she likes the princess cut. Also figured the white gold would go better with her olive complexion as opposed to yellow (okay my sister concluded that)...Finally, it helps to have a sister and/or a chick help the dude pick one out ;)..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    TrixieCat wrote:
    So this?
    http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?sku=18965755

I prefer round.
    And I like the channel set around the band.

i guess something like that with a bigger band ? but yes something like that

another thing is my bro has an emerald cut diamond worth about $12,000
    in a safe so he can really take that and add a setting and a few more diamonds
    i think that would be best but he's crazy