my older brother wants to get engaged ..

Comments

• ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    my fiancee said she'd rather have it that way, but when I took her to the table where we had our first date, and had our friends and family show up after she said yes, she was pretty happy. from a guys perspective i think it's gotta be the right thing for the right time, and if you know each other enough to propose you'll know what's right.
  • mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    and he wants me to beat around the bush to his gf about what types of rings she likes,,, which i have no problem with

but dont u think she would tell me something other than what she likes in fear that i would get the ring for my gf ?

this is gonna be tricky

thoughts?

Your brother doesn't even need to inquire. Go with a round or square diamond, pear shaped and tear shaped can get snagged on clothing so they are a pain in the ass. Tiffany setting is the most popular. As far as the ring he should know wether she likes gold, white gold, or platinum.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • girls, do you care about how you're "asked"? You know do you expect some kind of big production or surprise or special location? I kinda think I'd rather just be asked out of nowhere on a regular day.

I just think it should be from his heart. No big productions are necessary. My husband did ask me on the 2nd anniversary of our meeting, so we had special plans that night anyway...but, he actually *asked* me on our own sofa in our own living room. I loved it. :)
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    mammasan wrote:
    Your brother doesn't even need to inquire. Go with a round or square diamond, pear shaped and tear shaped can get snagged on clothing so they are a pain in the ass. Tiffany setting is the most popular. As far as the ring he should know wether she likes gold, white gold, or platinum.

yea we figured it out thanx

emerald cut with some diamonds around the main one

im sure it will be coolio
  • it's actually not a tradition. it was a marketing campaign started by DeBeers in the 1940s. And diamonds are not a traditional wedding stone, saphires are.

I dunno, I wouldn't want to walk around with that. it's a symbol that the woman is "taken" but men don't have to wear something when they're engaged. I don't like that. Plus it's kinda tacky. Plus diamonds are kinda sketchy, who knows whose hands were cut off or what little kid was forced into slavery to get them? And they're way over-priced. diamonds aren't rare, the supply is just held back.

but anyways, I digress from the topic.
    you can seriously be such a downer!
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    claddaghs are for weddings though are they not? Actually, if I got married, I'd really like to go to gallway to pick out nice claddagh wedding rings.

claddagh rings aren't just for weddings, though. more people wear them while they're single/dating...kind of like a friendship bracelet or promise ring.

i wear one on my right hand, with the heart right-side up. if you wear it on your right hand, upside down, you're single.

it can be worn as a wedding ring...but on your left hand.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    you can seriously be such a downer!

You think?
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    The Champ wrote:
    You think?

I guess diamonds are NOT every girl's best friend ;)
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    plans in action,, my head is spinnig she is rattling things off to me lol

her opinion , she likes round because u can do more with it when u get a wedding band

but she likes emerald with more stones around the main one

i think she likes emerald better

its tough becuae my gf is very tiny where as bro's gf is alittle more full especially in the fingers

so this is crazy lol

and yes trix,,thats alll im thinking about wait till we get the call from hawaii that he did it and my gf hears :) that will be fun

Tiffany's has rings with diamonds and they can put other stones on the side (like baguettes) that would be nice. It should be the best ring he can afford and get a platinum setting if he can afford it. Ooh I'm so excited, let us know when he pops the question.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    its over aand done she said emerald and my brother knows exactly what to get

mission accomplished ,,dam im good

and he is gonna give it to her while snorkeling in sharks cove on oahu

gonna make believe he found something in the water and bring that up lol

sounds cool

Oh! An Emerald Cut! Oh I see.
    and OMG, WOWEE!! That is an amazing proposal! I love it! Aw, congrats to them in advance! When is he doing this, over Thanksgiving? Or X-mas!
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Allie wrote:
    Tiffany's has rings with diamonds and they can put other stones on the side (like baguettes) that would be nice. It should be the best ring he can afford and get a platinum setting if he can afford it. Ooh I'm so excited, let us know when he pops the question.
    :eek: I dunno, I mean I'd love a big expensive rock on my hand... BUT at the same time there's no way in hell I'd let him break the bank (which will ultimately be OUR bank ;) ). I had a cousin who said she wouldn't get engaged unless the ring was worth at least £10,000 stg. I really don't get that. I'd like the ring as a kinda symbol... not a status thing. And if all he could afford was a piece of shit ring well it's still the symbol and I'd be more moved by that probably than some big expensive gesture :o but hey, if I got the big expensive ring I wouldn't say no either

GTD yeh a proposal can be romantic anywhere at any time... but I'd like a story :) especially something like if it doesn't quite go to plan... like my sisters proposal on her 30th birthday... he brought the cake out and it was sitting on top of an umbrella in the cake... this in front of all her family and friends, she didn't notice the ring somehow (cos it was big and sparkly enough) and she took the umbrella off and put it on the table sending the ring flying...we were all sitting there like 'uh oh... this isn't looking good' :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    he got a price on the ring $25,000

abit steep for him he wants to pay around $15,000

so hes gonna look to trade the old diamond he has back to the jeweler
    and go from there
    if he can get 10,000 for the old diamond ,, then the first price can work

15 +10=25

ill be sure to keep u cats updated lol
  • NY PJ1 wrote:

and go from there

15 +10=25

:eek: not to put a dampener on things but that's a trip around the world in 1st class seats and 5 star hotels. Shit, I'd hate to be walking around with 25,000 on my hand :o I'd cash it in :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    :eek: not to put a dampener on things but that's a trip around the world in 1st class seats and 5 star hotels. Shit, I'd hate to be walking around with 25,000 on my hand :o I'd cash it in :D

what can i say,, but 25,000 is alot like i said

so he looking to get a good price on the trade in

he wont go any higher than 15,000 out of pocket,,

so 15,000 + price of diamond he has , will be what he spends on the ring
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    the big M
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • The Champ wrote:
    Let's hope he doesn't forget to ask her to marry him afterwards..

I think I was the only one to catch this The Champ. ;)
    NERDS!
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    what can i say,, but 25,000 is alot like i said

so he looking to get a good price on the trade in

he wont go any higher than 15,000 out of pocket,,

so 15,000 + price of diamond he has , will be what he spends on the ring
    Oh don't get me wrong... I know most people want something expensive or want to spend lots of money on a ring... I can just think of so many things I could do with that money rather than get engaged :eek: :D . If someone gave me a 25,000 ring, I could probably be able to SEE the countries that would get me to :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I think I was the only one to catch this The Champ. ;)

Glad to see not everyone with a little sense of humor is currently/permanently banned.....btw, you fuckers make some great Pinot out there..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • :eek: not to put a dampener on things but that's a trip around the world in 1st class seats and 5 star hotels. Shit, I'd hate to be walking around with 25,000 on my hand :o I'd cash it in :D

It's a new car! it's a semester at a state university! it's a down payment on a house! Shit, if I had $25,000 to drop there is no way in HELL I would spend it on a ring!

oh and whoever said "it should be the best ring he can afford"-why??? shouldn't it be the nicest ring for cheapest? I mean if you found a ring you loved and it was like $100, why wouldn't you get it?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    NY PJ1 wrote:

and go from there

15 +10=25

thats fucking obscene... for $25000 you could do a lot more than a shiny ring... i'd rather be single than be with someone who wanted a ring for that much... plus $25000 can buy you a lot of hookers.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    The Champ wrote:
    Glad to see not everyone with a little sense of humor is currently/permanently banned.....btw, you fuckers make some great Pinot out there..

hee hee you said Pinot.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • It's a new car! it's a semester at a state university! it's a down payment on a house! Shit, if I had $25,000 to drop there is no way in HELL I would spend it on a ring!

oh and whoever said "it should be the best ring he can afford"-why??? shouldn't it be the nicest ring for cheapest? I mean if you found a ring you loved and it was like $100, why wouldn't you get it?
    well I wouldn't say cheapest... but if you find a ring you love, the diamonds shouldn't have to be made bigger... you shouldn't look for a more expensive version of the one you love :o . I don't know about most people but I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a $1,000 ring and a $50,000 ring anyway... but that's just me :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    dunkman wrote:
    thats fucking obscene... for $25000 you could do a lot more than a shiny ring... i'd rather be single than be with someone who wanted a ring for that much... plus $25000 can buy you a lot of hookers.

never said she wanted it

she wouldnt care what it was

he just wants to get her something really really nice thats all
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    never said she wanted it

I can see that, but when it comes down to it, it's a rock. it's a piece of rock you wear on your finger. it just goes to show the state of our society when people don't think twice about spending that much on something that really has no practical use. After a few weeks, it's just a ring. She'll put it on every day and it'll just become part of getting dressed in the morning.
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    never said she wanted it

good man :) if he can afford it, why the hell not? and it doesn't mean it is HUGE and pretentious. It is probably great qulaity. My friend's ring is about $25k and it is not obnoxious at all....it's just very close to a perfect stone.
    I can see that, but when it comes down to it, it's a rock. it's a piece of rock you wear on your finger. it just goes to show the state of our society when people don't think twice about spending that much on something that really has no practical use. After a few weeks, it's just a ring. She'll put it on every day and it'll just become part of getting dressed in the morning.

i feel ya i really do

but its not my money lol
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    never said she wanted it

I guess people just have different budgets... and some people see the amount you spend as proof of your love. I can understand that. If someone gave me a 25,000 ring I wouldn't say no :D but after I found out how much it was worth, I reckon I'd suggest we cash it in, get something maybe for 1,500 and live like kings and queens for a few months :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    good man :) if he can afford it, why the hell not? and it doesn't mean it is HUGE and pretentious. It is probably great qulaity. My friend's ring is about $25k and it is not obnoxious at all....it's just very close to a perfect stone.

like i said its not my money

he works hard and gets compensated well so its his to spend as he pleases

whatever floats his boat

needless to say,between the ring and the hawaii trip in 2 weeks ,,that her xmas gifts
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    i feel ya i really do

but its not my money lol

haha no I know. I know that a LOT of people feel it necessary to spend this much on a ring. I just think it's a really screwy institution...I mean think of what you could do with the $25K after you get married, if you have kids. you could start a decent college fund with that.

maybe it's because I've studied economics for so long...I always think it terms of choices and value and relative prices etc. I just have trouble justifying this kind of thing to myself.