my older brother wants to get engaged ..

Comments

• edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    ryan198 wrote:
    first of all remember it's congrats to the dude whose getting engaged, seriously that's really cool. secondly to set a price on what is good and what isn't is kind of silly. through luck and connections i was able to get my fiancee an eternity band (diamonds all the way around) 3 diamond ring for our engagement for about $4100 (it's worth $7500 plus gold and diamonds almost always appreciate in value).

For some of you that's too much, for others that's too little. The point of the matter is that she saw a similar ring while on a trip with her best friend from college, and fell in love with it saying "I wish that could be my wedding ring" not ever expecting it to be true. As a grad student, money is not really flowing in at a high rate, but anyway I worked a few deals out and got the ring for the aforementioned price. The punch in the pocket was worth it for the look on her face when she got something she never dreamed she could have, that I got for her, and she gets to see everyday.

For a few of us that may seem shallow, that a physical gift could bring such happiness to a person, and perhaps that's partially true. Yet I think if you are giving a gift for the right reasons, and you have your heart and best intentions behind it why would you give someone a hard time for having a keepsake of their love even if you wouldn't do the same? On the flipside why would you put a price on what love means? Technically I was too cheap at $4100 b/c the ring was only 1/2 the price it should have been....sorry.

I'm happy to be engaged as I am sure our PJ friend's brother will be regardless of what others think, I guess I am arguing that we should just be happy for him and move on.

yay. amen.
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    haha pretty good vision eh? lol

legal my butt,, that ring is coming back

big guy, but a teddy bear :)
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    because some girls do like big expensive diamonds. i suppose this one does.

that came out wrong,,i just meant something different from the norm (i.e. extra special) and usually that costs more money
  • ryan198 wrote:
    I'm happy to be engaged as I am sure our PJ friend's brother will be regardless of what others think, I guess I am arguing that we should just be happy for him and move on.

well I've never met the guy, and people get engaged everyday-I really could care less. to me he is a hypothetical example that can be used to have an intelligent discussion about an interesting topic.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    LOL - funny but good vision. have you met NY PJ1?

i believe legally it works like this:
    if he gives it as a gift - ie Christmas - she can keep it.

If it is given on a random day - he can get it back.

Get Right's a lawyer, he probably knows the deal - not sure he is here today...

No, haven't met him, but know he is a big Italian. And as you see, regardless of the law, the fucking ring is coming back :)..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    big guy, but a teddy bear :)

u caught me on a good night ... lol j/k
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    that came out wrong,,i just meant something different from the norm (i.e. extra special) and usually that costs more money

exactly - like the ed print i purchased from danny clinch. it is extra special and it cost me $$ - but it went to a charity. some people have criticized me for spending what i did, but it is my $$ and it is worth it to ME.

that's the point here. let people spend what they want on what they want without being a judge :)
    The Champ wrote:
    No, haven't met him, but know he is a big Italian. And as you see, regardless of the law, the fucking ring is coming back :)..

dam straight
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    well I've never met the guy, and people get engaged everyday-I really could care less. to me he is a hypothetical example that can be used to have an intelligent discussion about an interesting topic.
    He is not a hypothetical case...he is someone's brother.
    Drop it already.
    Sheesh.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    exactly - like the ed print i purchased from danny clinch. it is extra special and it cost me $$ - but it went to a charity. some people have criticized me for spending what i did, but it is my $$ and it is worth it to ME.

that's the point here. let people spend what they want on what they want without being a judge :)

totally ,,u met my gf and she is the furthest thing from a paris hilton lol thank god,,,well i wish she had her money but...
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    Drop it already.
    Sheesh.

drop what?

why the hell are we wasting time on here if we're not going to discuss things?
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Drop it already.
    Sheesh.

i just skipped that
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i just skipped that
    You skipped over me????
    wtf? :mad:
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    TrixieCat wrote:
    You skipped over me????
    wtf? :mad:

not u silly ,,, green tea post
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    not u silly ,,, green tea post

That's always a good idea ;)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • exactly - like the ed print i purchased from danny clinch. it is extra special and it cost me $$ - but it went to a charity. some people have criticized me for spending what i did, but it is my $$ and it is worth it to ME.

there's only one person on this thread judging and it ain't me :) . I'm just saying I can see the whole thing about spending big money, I'm just saying that's not for me. But his brother isn't asking me to marry him.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    totally ,,u met my gf and she is the furthest thing from a paris hilton lol thank god,,,well i wish she had her money but...

total sweeatheart. i am not like that either. i like what i like - whether it costs $1 or $10k. i am not showing off. i just like to have what i like. i buy $10 shirts in Target and $200 jeans in Saks. i saw a couch the other day that i loved. whether it was $800 or $12k, I still would love it. it is just personal taste - nothing to do with 'labels'.

my boyfriend bought me these super expensive earrings from tiffany's and i was like "OMG you must have spent a fortune on these - you could have gone somewhere else blah blah blah" - I felt funny accepting them. but you know what?????????? he is loaded and he can afford them. he saw them, thought of me, and wanted me to have them. he knew i would love them, and i do. whether they were $10 or $1500...who am i to argue ;)
    total sweeatheart. i am not like that either. i like what i like - whether it costs $1 or $10k. i am not showing off. i just like to have what i like. i buy $10 shirts in Target and $200 jeans in Saks. i saw a couch the other day that i loved. whether it was $800 or $12k, I still would love it. it is just personal taste - nothing to do with 'labels'.

my boyfriend bought me these super expensive earrings from tiffany's and i was like "OMG you must have spent a fortune on these - you could have gone somewhere else blah blah blah" - I felt funny accepting them. but you know what?????????? he is loaded and he can afford them. he saw them, thought of me, and wanted me to have them. he knew i would love them, and i do. whether they were $10 or $1500...who am i to argue ;)

sounds good to me lol

i bought u an $8 beer lol
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    sounds good to me lol

i bought u an $8 beer lol

keeping tabs, are we???? ;) lol.....
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    hmmm...you have a good point there. My fiance asked my sister so that wasn't an issue and she was already married. You just have to hope she's honest. I don't know how stuff turned out because Im not reading through 10 pages...:p
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    libragirl wrote:
    hmmm...you have a good point there. My fiance asked my sister so that wasn't an issue and she was already married. You just have to hope she's honest. I don't know how stuff turned out because Im not reading through 10 pages...:p

I love this girl....She always only reads the initial post and responds accordingly :)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    drop what?

why the hell are we wasting time on here if we're not going to discuss things?

Hey, play nice kiddies..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    keeping tabs, are we???? ;) lol.....

no,, your taking me too literally (sp)today

im just saying he bought u earrings and i bought u a beer lol
  • The Champ wrote:
    I love this girl....She always only reads the initial post and responds accordingly :)..
    :D I was just gonna say the same thing... EVERY time :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    The Champ wrote:

hell yeah...I can't be bothered reading 10 pages of responses. :D
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • libragirl wrote:
    hell yeah...I can't be bothered reading 10 pages of responses. :D
    :D well he got the ring... so ya can see why your post is kinda... eh... late :p

still, it's funny
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    what page is that on.?.lol..

well congrats to his bro. :)
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    no,, your taking me too literally (sp)today

im just saying he bought u earrings and i bought u a beer lol

ha. i am a very literal person - it annoys everyone, can't help it :)

i enjoyed your $8 beer ;)

lol
    :D well he got the ring... so ya can see why your post is kinda... eh... late :p

still, it's funny

not yet he has to pick up the old ring from my parents apt. first
  • libragirl wrote:
    what page is that on.?.lol..

well congrats to his bro. :)
    :D I spose you want the post number too? :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love