whats the deal with people dressing down every single friday?

Comments

• NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    I think you guys are missing the point that people like mookie who SELL things usually get dressed up, that is the norm and the culture of that line of work. My dad sells things, he gets dressed up too.

But if you're not SELLING anything, there is no reason to get dressed up. I'm sitting in a little office crunching numbers all day. the culture in many other very professional lines of work is to dress down. it's only a matter of "professionalism" based on the rules of a particular given profession.

fair enough... in my "profession' professional attire is required by the powers that be
    "wall st" is usually like that
    so my original question whats the deal with some people just dressing down?
    thats all i was asking
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Why is this so fucking hard? Dress accordingly, whatever that may be..I've worked in construction, also as an auto tech, also worked in financial sales..Just like I wouldn't wear a three piece suit to fix a fucking car, I wouldn't wear overalls to a fucking business/client meeting..fuck..:)..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Why is this so fucking hard? Dress accordingly, whatever that may be..I've worked in construction, also as an auto tech, also worked in financial sales..Just like I wouldn't wear a three piece suit to fix a fucking car, I wouldn't wear overalls to a fucking business/client meeting..fuck..:)..

pretty simple eh? why some dont understand this is beyond me
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    thats all i was asking

Some do it in my office (jeans, ratty sweater). Sometimes I think maybe they're just not making the money to buy an outfit. But that notion quickly leaves my mind considering we live in NYC which has some of the greatest bargains in the country! They may fall apart after three or four washes, but they cost less than those jeans they're wearing.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    fair enough... in my "profession' professional attire is required by the powers that be
    "wall st" is usually like that
    thats all i was asking

well they are breaking the rules in favor of being comfortable. that's the deal.
  • I think the real argument here is... If your company allows you to dress down on Fridays then it should be acceptable. If you feel the need to still dress to the nines then that's your business, just don't call out your fellow employees for dressing down, it makes you look like a pretentious and uppity snob.

... at least that's the word on the street.
    the Minions
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I think a better question would be, why do some vain and pretentious assholes dress up when they don't have to?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    I think the real argument here is... If your company allows you to dress down on Fridays then it should be acceptable. If you feel the need to still dress to the nines then that's your business, just don't call out your fellow employees for dressing down, it makes you look like a pretentious and uppity snob.

i said from the beginning their is NO dress down ever (well xmas and new years eve)
    but its not dress down friday
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,204
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    jose of course it doesnt make sense to put on a suit in your situation

most people wear scrubs i presume?

oh right because its the thing to wear in your profession

maybe u should try shoulder pads and a jersey ..seeing how appearance doesnt matter lol haha (im talking in general here)

no i know what you mean i agree with the thread ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I think a better question would be, why do some vain and pretentious assholes dress up when they don't have to?

When does dressing nicely equate to pretension, vanity, and being an asshole? Some people are more comfortable being dressed up than in jeans. Not sure why, but that doesn't make them assholes. I believe their personality of the person does that for them whether they're wearing jeans or a suit.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I think the real argument here is... If your company allows you to dress down on Fridays then it should be acceptable. If you feel the need to still dress to the nines then that's your business, just don't call out your fellow employees for dressing down, it makes you look like a pretentious and uppity snob.

but.....:)

when i worked in a corporate job casual fridays were just starting.....for a lot of people that meant they could wear sweats or torn, questionably clean jeans sometimes with holes in them.....i think i even remember some chick wearing pajama bottoms.....not exactly a professional environment.....:)
    cutback wrote:
    but.....:)

when i worked in a corporate job casual fridays were just starting.....for a lot of people that meant they could wear sweats or torn, questionably clean jeans sometimes with holes in them.....i think i even remember some chick wearing pajama bottoms.....not exactly a professional environment.....:)

pajama's?? she should have been fired on the spot

talk about not caring
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    My company (thank fucking Gawd) starting to give us Casual Summers dress code as in t-shirt/shorts/sandals (no t-shirts with logos or mountaineer-like sandals, but some do.) It's 90 degrees by the end of May until October, easily. We are a professional association, but man, that was incredibly empathic. A 3-piece suit or dress with stockings in 90 degree weather is uncalled for. Show a little mercy. I look as nice as I can given the weather, but I'm very happy about that dress code. The summer humidity is brutal, sucks the energy right from me.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    eyedclaar wrote:

Then call me a pretentious asshole...I like to look nice..I feel more comfortable in a pair of nice dockers, nice shirt and shoes than I do in jeans and t-shirt and sneaks. I am about as far from a vain person as they get too.
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I haven't worn a suit or a tie at the office in years.....usualy just a swank outfit mon-thurs.

I am about to go there in jeans and a tshirt.

My clients would freak if they saw me dressed up!....I will never wear Dockers! :)

I have pride in my appearance, but I have more pride in the fact that I can be myself and have a good career without having to pose as something that I am not.

Rogue CPA forever!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    pajama's?? she should have been fired on the spot

talk about not caring

:)

eventually memo's were sent out outlining what was and what wasn't appropriate....you should have heard the bitching...:rolleyes:......and every friday i showed up to work in a tie and people couldn't believe i was wearing one.....well, i never bought into the casual friday bullshit.....to me it's just shows a lack of respect to your company, your fellow employees and your cusomers and clients....:)

having said all that, for the last 16 years i've worn shorts to work every day.....but i'm self employed....hehehehehe :D
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    i work in a law firm and we have casual Fridays but they have to be decent looking jeans. I am wearing Levis but with high heels.

We have a few firms in the same office and ome lady was actually wearing overalls and sneakers so that office got screwed for a while.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    mookie9999 wrote:
    When does dressing nicely equate to pretension, vanity, and being an asshole? Some people are more comfortable being dressed up than in jeans. Not sure why, but that doesn't make them assholes. I believe their personality of the person does that for them whether they're wearing jeans or a suit.
    You're so vain.
    You know this entire thread isn't about you.
    You're so vain (you're so vain)

I wouldn't attend a PJ show wearing some old tee shirt and nasty jeans.
    Bring it on!
    I am a vain biatch I guess.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    Lizard wrote:
    i work in a law firm and we have casual Fridays but they have to be decent looking jeans. I am wearing Levis but with high heels.

We have a few firms in the same office and ome lady was actually wearing overalls and sneakers so that office got screwed for a while.

mookie wears the same
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Lizard wrote:

i think jeans and high heels are so sexy!
  • mookie9999 wrote:

only when you dress nice then criticize others for not being so "professional"

I'm saying appearance does matter.

But this discussion has me thinking about a couple of people I know that like to make wardrobe a competition. I'd rather spend my money on music and entertainment than trying to look like a fashionplate everyday. I equate some people's choice of overdressing as their hobby. I wouldn't wear ratty jeans to work, but nice jeans and a sweater never kept me from making a deal with a client. ever...

I was once hired by a company and toward the end of the orientation process the CEO told me they discouraged facial hair. I have a nice well maintained beard (think James Brolin).

I wasn't hurting financially so I pressed the issue...I worked there for 6 years and never shaved. I let my work do the talking and they essentially kissed my ass. Others always wondered how I managed to keep my beard...I just winked and said it's my character not my flaw.
    the Minions
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Lizard wrote:

And this is why there are rules put in place.
    OVERALLS and SNEAKERS??? lol
    I can't even stand the lazy slobs that stroll around town in pajamas.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    mookie wears the same

I only wear the overalls when feeling bloated. They go nicely with my LA Gears which are oh so comfortable!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I only wear the overalls when feeling bloated. They go nicely with my LA Gears which are oh so comfortable!
    Do they have the pumps in the tongues?
    TrixieCat wrote:
    You're so vain.
    You know this entire thread isn't about you.
    You're so vain (you're so vain)

Just so you know I put my mirror down to read this post. What a waste! There's an extra four strokes of my hair I'll never get back!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

But this discussion has me thinking about a couple of people I know that like to make wardrobe a competition. I'd rather spend my money on music and entertainment than trying to look like a fashionplate everyday. I equate some people's choice of overdressing as their hobby. I wouldn't wear ratty jeans to work, but nice jeans and a sweater never kept me from making a deal with a client. ever...

I was once hired by a company and toward the end of the orientation process the CEO told me they discouraged facial hair. I have a nice well maintained beard (think James Brolin).

I wasn't hurting financially so I pressed the issue...I worked there for 6 years and never shaved. I let my work do the talking and they essentially kissed my ass. Others always wondered how I managed to keep my beard...I just winked and said it's my character not my flaw.

Glad you had the success that you did. However, my response was to the person who stated that people who dress up when it is not necessary (I presume he/she meant outside of work) that it makes them a pretentious asshole. To me that is absurd.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

no scruffy dirty beards neither,, unless ur actually growing one

which u were
    Rygar wrote:
    Do they have the pumps in the tongues?

They did. But over the years they fell out. If by chance you spot them on ebay, please contact me immediately!!!!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

mookie9999 wrote:

no jeans and high heels lol
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    TrixieCat wrote:
    And this is why there are rules put in place.
    OVERALLS and SNEAKERS??? lol
    I can't even stand the lazy slobs that stroll around town in pajamas.

the pajamas!!!!!!!!!!! such a pet peeve of mine. i see people in the grocery store in pj's and slippers. you need to draw a line somewhere!!!!!!!!!! at least wear sweats!