whats the deal with people dressing down every single friday?

Comments

• NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    :) thought so!

classy dressed up

they take pride in themselves
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    classy dressed up

they take pride in themselves
    nope, it just says they take pride in their appearances... appearance is NOT the mark of the person :)

And pride isn't always a good thing btw :cool:

I'd rather have fun than look good :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    nope, it just says they take pride in their appearances... appearance is NOT the mark of the person :)

And pride isn't always a good thing btw :cool:

I'd rather have fun than look good :)

not the mark ,, but it gives u an idea
  • Haha at you people with corporate jobs and dress codes and so forth and such on.
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    not the mark ,, but it gives u an idea
    It certainly DOES give you 'an idea'... perhaps not the one you WANT to give :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I've said twice if you're meeting clients or customers, fine! If not, I don't see the point at all. I'll say it again just in case:

If you're meeting clients or customers, fine! If not, I don't see the point. Can somebody tell me why it's important to dress smartly for work if your clients or customers can't see ya?

best i can explain it to ya.....a person dressed professionally will (should) act professionally...

a person who is relaxed in their dress will (could) act less prossionally and their work may suffer...

these aren't had and fast rules mind you and not every business is the same but in nypj1's world appearance matters...:)
  • cutback wrote:
    best i can explain it to ya.....a person dressed professionally will (should) act professionally...

a person who is relaxed in their dress will (could) act less prossionally and their work may suffer...

these aren't had and fast rules mind you and not every business is the same but in nypj1's world appearance matters...:)
    thank you :) doesn't really work like that though. Yes it makes you FEEL professional but it doesn't necessarily make you ACT professional :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    thank you :) doesn't really work like that though. Yes it makes you FEEL professional but it doesn't necessarily make you ACT professional :o
    Does it make you look professional?
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    dunkman wrote:

p.s. mookie9999 smells like placenta

Look here fucker, I told you it's my new cologne and it's called after-birth, not placenta!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Rygar wrote:
    Does it make you look professional?

If you are meeting a client you usually have to dress up to some degree, whether it's a suit or b-cas depending on the situation, but I don't think it makes you look any more "professional." I think it makes you look "corporate." The following professionals rarely wear suits: doctors, engineers, teachers, professors, research scientists, etc. I think if any of these groups wore suits on a regular basis it would look weird.

All I know is for a year I worked for this dumb company that sold crappy services and had some really dumb people working for them. While the business made a lot of money they paid us shit. We were required to wear suits every single day. every thing was about appearances, there was no substance at all. All I got out of wearing a suit every day was displaced bones in my feet from dress shoes.

I am happy to be in my little exposed brick office with my PhD and engineer colleagues in my dirty jeans, baggy sweater, and danskos, making a lot more money and doing much more important work.
    I dress up every day. The last thing I would ever want to do is to give the impression that I don't give a shit. Like it or not we are judged by our appearance. If I took a client around looking at $2 million dollar one bedroom condos in jeans and sneakers I would be embarrassed, as would my company and the staff at the building I'm taking my client to. One time, on a Saturday, I was dressed in a suit minus the tie and my client mentioned it to me. He was a lawyer dressed in sweats, but he still mentioned it to me. Jeans are for the weekend and after work, not work. (At least not most jobs).
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

mookie9999 wrote:
    I dress up every day. The last thing I would ever want to do is to give the impression that I don't give a shit. Like it or not we are judged by our appearance. If I took a client around looking at $2 million dollar one bedroom condos in jeans and sneakers I would be embarrassed, as would my company and the staff at the building I'm taking my client to. One time, on a Saturday, I was dressed in a suit minus the tie and my client mentioned it to me. He was a lawyer dressed in sweats, but he still mentioned it to me. Jeans are for the weekend and after work, not work. (At least not most jobs).

their ya go ,,some sense from mookie

nah just dress like a bum and sell those condo's ;)
    people dont notice
    If you are meeting a client you usually have to dress up to some degree, whether it's a suit or b-cas depending on the situation, but I don't think it makes you look any more "professional." I think it makes you look "corporate." The following professionals rarely wear suits: doctors, engineers, teachers, research scientists, etc. I think if any of these groups wore suits on a regular basis it would look weird.

All I know is for a year I worked for this dumb company that sold crappy services and had some really dumb people working for them. While the business made a lot of money they paid us shit. We were required to wear suits every single day. every thing was about appearances, there was no substance at all. All I got out of wearing a suit every day was displaced bones in my feet from dress shoes.

I am happy to be in my little exposed brick office with my PhD and engineer colleagues in my dirty jeans, baggy sweater, and danskos, making a lot more money and doing much more important work.

Even if you aren't meeting with clients daily you often have to dress up every day in various professions. What might not matter to one might matter to the boss.
    I think there's an unspoken dress code at my current job (and there ARE casual friday's) but I've never worn anything other than jeans and no one has said anything to me. A bit like NY's situation, except we HAVE a casual day and he doesn't. Staff donates to charity for casual day though.
    Teachers don't wear suits, but school teachers don't generally wear jeans and a sweater. Not here, anyway. They aren't dressed in suits, but slacks and a nice shirt are most common.
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    their ya go ,,some sense from mookie

nah just dress like a bum and sell those condo's ;)
    people dont notice

I'm holding an open house this Sunday. I'm thinking about going with bermuda shorts, flip flops, and a Hawaiian shirt. I like the surprise factor of "is this the realtor or the homeowners out of work brother who won't get a job, sleeps on the couch, and watches Springer marathons daily?" :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Rygar wrote:
    Teachers don't wear suits, but school teachers don't generally wear jeans and a sweater. Not here, anyway. They aren't dressed in suits, but slacks and a nice shirt are most common.

well it varies by the school obviously, but at that crappy job I had I would work with roomfuls of teachers on a daily basis, and trust me, they weren't dressed "nicely." And what about college profs? they are the most "professional" people there are and they mostly wear jeans or whatever.
    well it varies by the school obviously, but at that crappy job I had I would work with roomfuls of teachers on a daily basis, and trust me, they weren't dressed "nicely." And what about college profs? they are the most "professional" people there are and they mostly wear jeans or whatever.
    College profs (in my experience) dress tremendously less 'professional', and much more casual then teachers.
    I'm not arguing the point that dressed professional doesn't always equal intelligent professional.
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I'm holding an open house this Sunday. I'm thinking about going with bermuda shorts, flip flops, and a Hawaiian shirt. I like the surprise factor of "is this the realtor or the homeowners out of work brother who won't get a job, sleeps on the couch, and watches Springer marathons daily?" :D

yea it works,, skip the shirt though..thats too dressy :confused:
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,204
    i'm in scrubs all day ,i come to work dressed in jeans all the time and then change into scrubs ,so it really makes no sense to come dressed up and then have to stuff those clothes into a locker ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    yea it works,, skip the shirt though..thats too dressy :confused:

Good point. Do I go with a wife beater or no shirt at all?
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

mookie9999 wrote:
    Beater.
    See if you can't get some ketchup on it first.
    mookie9999 wrote:

wife beater

and leave the white sunblock on your nose :)
    and when ur done go straight out for some drinks
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,204
    mookie9999 wrote:

def get ride of the shirt add the wife beater with chancletas = those funny looking sandals the ricans wear that will sell you just fine :D...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    wife beater

and leave the white sunblock on your nose :)
    and when ur done go straight out for some drinks

I was planning on drinks before hand to hide the stench of me not bathing for two day. Drinks afterward are a given! To Rygar, I like the ketchup suggestion but in a pinch, will blood be an acceptable substitute?
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• If you are meeting a client you usually have to dress up to some degree, whether it's a suit or b-cas depending on the situation, but I don't think it makes you look any more "professional." I think it makes you look "corporate." The following professionals rarely wear suits: doctors, engineers, teachers, professors, research scientists, etc. I think if any of these groups wore suits on a regular basis it would look weird.

yeeeaaa...this is why I love being in support/engineering. I've never seen my senior vp in anything more than dress shirt & pants. My direct boss wears a zipper hoodie most of the time. This is in a billion-dollar company too. In our building across the street, it's completely different though...suits and ties all around.
    i'm in scrubs all day ,i come to work dressed in jeans all the time and then change into scrubs ,so it really makes no sense to come dressed up and then have to stuff those clothes into a locker ...

jose of course it doesnt make sense to put on a suit in your situation

most people wear scrubs i presume?

oh right because its the thing to wear in your profession

maybe u should try shoulder pads and a jersey ..seeing how appearance doesnt matter lol haha (im talking in general here)
  • I think you guys are missing the point that people like mookie who SELL things usually get dressed up, that is the norm and the culture of that line of work. My dad sells things, he gets dressed up too.

But if you're not SELLING anything, there is no reason to get dressed up. I'm sitting in a little office crunching numbers all day. the culture in many other very professional lines of work is to dress down. it's only a matter of "professionalism" based on the rules of a particular given profession.
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I was planning on drinks before hand to hide the stench of me not bathing for two day. Drinks afterward are a given! To Rygar, I like the ketchup suggestion but in a pinch, will blood be an acceptable substitute?
    No, mustard would be better than blood. You definitely want food of some kind on there.
    Spaghetti sauce (stray strands of spaghetti are good bonuses) would work as well.
    def get ride of the shirt add the wife beater with chancletas = those funny looking sandals the ricans wear that will sell you just fine :D...

The open house is about 20 blocks south of Spanish Harlem so I could probably secure some of the chancletas there. I'm all set guys. I'll report back on Monday about how it went and seeing how it will no doubt sell on Sunday, drinks will be on me!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

Reminds me of a time my brother and I were apartment hunting for school. The guy showing us 2 particular apartments ran his own variety store/butcher shop, and when he came to the door he had spaghetti sauce (I'm assuming that is what it was, since it looked like he poured a can of zoodles over his face) from his bottom lip all the way down to his belt buckle, and not just a drip of it either. It looked like he fell in it.
    Very creepy, yet funny.
    The apartments went unrented.
    I think you guys are missing the point that people like mookie who SELL things usually get dressed up, that is the norm and the culture of that line of work. My dad sells things, he gets dressed up too.

But if you're not SELLING anything, there is no reason to get dressed up. I'm sitting in a little office crunching numbers all day. the culture in many other very professional lines of work is to dress down. it's only a matter of "professionalism" based on the rules of a particular given profession.

I believe no matter what your profession, if you have to interact with the general public, and you are at work, you should be dressed accordingly. If not then let's go to the other extreme, say forget the jeans, and start going to work like you were going to the club. Again, there are exceptions to the rule.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"