whats the deal with people dressing down every single friday?

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I was once hired by a company and toward the end of the orientation process the CEO told me they discouraged facial hair. I have a nice well maintained beard (think James Brolin).
    That CEO's an idiot. How absurd. If they hired you already, you must have impressed them. Oooooooh! Stuff like that makes my blood boil.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    i mean its a rainy day ,,but enough with the jeans and sneakers

u work for a professional company
    throw on ur buisness attire for christ's sake

it really grinds my gear's

the girl's i dont mind,,cause their jeans fit like a glove :)

It's all an illusion...we were all born naked.

A suit does not raise your IQ that I'm aware of.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    It's all an illusion...we were all born naked.

no but jeans and sneakers make u look like a mess
    (when the rest of the company is dressed in buisness casual)
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Speaking of suits, my son's high school baseball coach (early 20's) is gonna have them dress in suits the day of games and on the bus!!!!!!! I highly doubt that is gonna fly! (wonder if he will make my son cut his long-ass hair!)

ha ha ha
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    the pajamas!!!!!!!!!!! such a pet peeve of mine. i see people in the grocery store in pj's and slippers. you need to draw a line somewhere!!!!!!!!!! at least wear sweats!

its like shoot urself already !!!

too lazy to take off ur pajamas ??? cmon

throw on a pair of sweat pants and a bra at least lol

ill tell ya some people
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:
    That CEO's an idiot. How absurd. If they hired you already, you must have impressed them. Oooooooh! Stuff like that makes my blood boil.

Yeah I've had trouble from time to time with people that judge me for having a nice beard and longer than average curly hair.

I've found most of these people ironically have pictures of Jesus on their walls of their homes. :D
    the Minions
  • Lizard wrote:
    i work in a law firm and we have casual Fridays but they have to be decent looking jeans. I am wearing Levis but with high heels.

I used to work in a law firm, and we had a pretty casual dress code at all times for the sake of promoting a pretty fiscally conservative image to our clients. We couldn't wear jeans, but we would have 1 Friday each month where we could donate money to a particular charity and in turn wear jeans that day. The one thing that always struck me as funny in the dress code was that we were specifically told not to wear cowboy boots. :D
  • That's fair enough... but I want to know why they expect everyone else to put the same care and effort in? Some people spend two hours getting ready in the morning, others spend 10 minutes... should there be national guidelines or something?
    I didn't realize that it took longer to put on a pair of slacks and a knit sweater than it did to put on jeans and a t-shirt.

Dressing up for work has nothing to do with being shallow. It's a dress code. Just as McDonald's and Walmart employees and the mail man have to wear uniforms, so do those with business or casual business dress codes. In the end, that is their uniform. Some have to wear suits and heels, but generally, a pair of slacks and a collared shirt or knit sweater suffice. You may not intend on meeting a client, but you never know when one will pop by, and believe me, they do. Whether it's fair or not, you're taken more seriously when dressed the part. What that part is depends on the job, obviously.

I've had numerous jobs over the years that have called for different attire. I've had assigned uniforms (grocery store), grubbies (factory), business attire (bank teller), nice jeans/shirt (travel centre). Currently, I'm a teacher, where the dress attire is a little more casual, but even on 'dress down' Friday, you wear a nice pair of jeans and a nice sweater ... you don't show up in your faded jeans and t-shirt. I love my jeans and pyjamas, but when it comes to work, I like to look professional, and showing up dressed like my students doesn't cut it. In fact, some teachers who take the "casual" look too far, look less put together than most of their students. I like to be taken seriously.

I think it's entirely unfair to say that those who show up to work in clothes other than jeans are shallow. It's insulting, in fact.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I didn't realize that it took longer to put on a pair of slacks and a knit sweater than it did to put on jeans and a t-shirt.

Dressing up for work has nothing to do with being shallow. It's a dress code. Just as McDonald's and Walmart employees and the mail man have to wear uniforms, so do those with business or casual business dress codes. In the end, that is their uniform. Sure, in big businesses, they may be wearing business suits and heels, but generally, a pair of slacks and a collared shirt or knit sweater will suffice. You may not intend on meeting a client, but you never know when one will pop by, and they do. Whether it's fair or not, you're taken more seriously when dressed the part. What that part is depends on the job, obviously.

I've had numerous jobs over the years. I've had assigned uniforms (grocery store), jeans (factory), business attire (bank teller). They all called for different attire. Currently, I'm a teacher, where the dress attire is a little more casual, but even on 'dress down' Friday, you wear a nice pair of jeans and a nice sweater ... you don't show up in your faded jeans and t-shirt. I love my jeans and pyjamas, but when it comes to work, I like to look professional, and showing up dressed like my students doesn't cut it. In fact, some teachers who take the "casual" look too far, look less put together than most of their students. I like to be taken seriously.

I think it's entirely unfair to say that those who show up to work in clothes other than jeans are shallow or their company's puppet. It's insulting, in fact.

i'm always glad when someone says it better than i could.....thank you....:)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,204
    Lizard wrote:
    Speaking of suits, my son's high school baseball coach (early 20's) is gonna have them dress in suits the day of games and on the bus!!!!!!! I highly doubt that is gonna fly! (wonder if he will make my son cut his long-ass hair!)

ha ha ha

my son's coached had them wear shirt and tie on game day 7th graders pretty cool i thought ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    no but jeans and sneakers make u look like a mess
    (when the rest of the company is dressed in buisness casual)
    I have not tucked in a shirt at work since July as I was at a sales event. I let my work speak for my professionalism. If you care what I'm dressed like then you don't really care about the quality of work being done (unless you're in a sales environment). Why would I want to work with someone who does not care about the quality of work being done?

I'm wearing jeans, hiking boots and a mickey mouse t-shirt at the moment. I have a professional designation and well respected in what I do. I don't keep shallow people in my personal life nor do I in my professional life.

When I interview with companies if they mention a dress code I let them know right up front if I'm meeting an external business client I will dress business casual. Other than that I'll dress in jeans and a t-shirt. Either way I'll put out very professional, top notch work. An dif they have a problem with how I dress then I'm not their man. I've only had one company stupid enough to let that be a problem.

But I am a sharp dresser for dates. After all what's a date but a sales event.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    We do business casual. Slacks & collard shirt etc every once in a while my boss will allow us to have a jeans friday.

Then it is jeans and a polo sytyle shirt.

They pay me i don't mind their rules. As long as i'm not in suit and tie business casual is pretty comfy to me.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    intodeep wrote:
    We do business casual. Slacks & collard shirt etc every once in a while my boss will allow us to have a jeans friday.

Then it is jeans and a polo sytyle shirt.

They pay me i don't mind their rules. As long as i'm not in suit and tie business casual is pretty comfy to me.

Business casual is just as comfortable as jeans and a t-shirt to me. I like to dress a small notch above what is expected.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i'm surprised people actually care enough that this thread got to be this big... for the record i'm wearing absolutely nothing :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    dunkman wrote:
    i'm surprised people actually care enough that this thread got to be this big... for the record i'm wearing absolutely nothing :)

aside from the last part of this post (which I will erase from memory), I agree.
    I love to turn you on
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    mookie9999 wrote:
    When does dressing nicely equate to pretension, vanity, and being an asshole? Some people are more comfortable being dressed up than in jeans. Not sure why, but that doesn't make them assholes. I believe their personality of the person does that for them whether they're wearing jeans or a suit.

Relax Mookster, I was mostly joking. Although you won't see me dressing up if I don't have to. King of comfy. Shit, I'm a professional HR person in a government agency and I can't even be bothered to hide my tattoos.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    When I lived in Seattle, and I told my older sister about interviews I was having, she convinced me to remove my nose ring. It closed right up. That was unfortunate. I had it repierced only to take it out for another interview. Then it closed again, and I didn't get it repierced.

In Seattle, body piercings, tattoos, multi-colored hair it's just the norm. She was speaking from an East Coast perspective, and I decided to try it out. I haven't seen as many body piercings since I've moved back east.

I still progressed to second interviews with the nose piercing. This was at the time when the Pacific Northwest had the 4th worst unemployment rate in the country. If I didn't get an interview it wasn't because of the nose piercing. The market was flooded with applicants. 200 people applied to an admin position of a craft store. That's very bad. . . .I was one of the final two ;)

It was actually a very nice nose ring, an amber dot surrounded by a ring of sterling silver.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170
    You know what I hate...people that DON'T dress down on Fridays...what, you think you're so important?
    Seriously, I could give a rats ass...if it were up to me, I'd wear my pajamas to work most days...who the frick cares if I'm wearing a tie? Does that affect the quality of my work in any way? Probably, cause I'm not getting enough oxygen to my head, so my work is actually worse. Well, actually, I find I work way better when I get to dress casually...its probably because I feel more comfortable and can relax and be myself a little more. Just like I work better with loud music playing.
    Well, I think I've managed to talk my company into letting me work from home one day a week...so that'll be 2 days I don't have to dress up. Of course dressing up for me is like cords and a golf shirt in the summer or sweater in the winter. But I can't wear my socks and sandals!
    Whatever...

Peace
    :-p
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
    surferdude wrote:
    I have not tucked in a shirt at work since July as I was at a sales event. I let my work speak for my professionalism. If you care what I'm dressed like then you don't really care about the quality of work being done (unless you're in a sales environment). Why would I want to work with someone who does not care about the quality of work being done?

I'm wearing jeans, hiking boots and a mickey mouse t-shirt at the moment. I have a professional designation and well respected in what I do. I don't keep shallow people in my personal life nor do I in my professional life.

When I interview with companies if they mention a dress code I let them know right up front if I'm meeting an external business client I will dress business casual. Other than that I'll dress in jeans and a t-shirt. Either way I'll put out very professional, top notch work. An dif they have a problem with how I dress then I'm not their man. I've only had one company stupid enough to let that be a problem.

But I am a sharp dresser for dates. After all what's a date but a sales event.

IM GLAD U CAN TELL ur bosses what ur gonna wear
    must be sweet,,but any boss with a set of beads would laugh at u
    dont matter how good ur work is

and why would a boss hire anyone who they think does bad work?
    dunkman wrote:

whats the matter? u think people only talk about the nonsense u discuss?
    lol
  • mookie9999 wrote:
    I believe no matter what your profession, if you have to interact with the general public, and you are at work, you should be dressed accordingly. If not then let's go to the other extreme, say forget the jeans, and start going to work like you were going to the club. Again, there are exceptions to the rule.
    hey hey hey, are all you people deaf or something? :D I've said a million times how, if you're meeting clients or customers or are actually a face of your company, that's fine. But IF NOT... like the many many people who are stuck in an office and don't see anybody but their colleagues between 9 and 5, what's the point in that? I've yet to have anyone, apart from cutback, address that... and I'm sure somebody will reply how it's important to look good when you're meeting somebody :rolleyes:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • I think the real argument here is... If your company allows you to dress down on Fridays then it should be acceptable. If you feel the need to still dress to the nines then that's your business, just don't call out your fellow employees for dressing down, it makes you look like a pretentious and uppity snob.

... at least that's the word on the street.
    :D excellent post... it beats me how somebody who goes on and on about company rules can get so annoyed about somebody actually following them :confused::D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • the pajamas!!!!!!!!!!! such a pet peeve of mine. i see people in the grocery store in pj's and slippers. you need to draw a line somewhere!!!!!!!!!! at least wear sweats!
    :D Why? At least they're covered up... if they went to the grocery store naked, you MAY have reason to complain... considering it's illegal and all :D but people have different tastes in clothes and if they think it's cool or cute or whatever to go out in PJ's, if that's what makes THEM happy, where's the problem? :cool:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • It's all an illusion...we were all born naked.

Nope, and I've found it can often even have the reverse effect :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • I didn't realize that it took longer to put on a pair of slacks and a knit sweater than it did to put on jeans and a t-shirt.

Dressing up for work has nothing to do with being shallow. It's a dress code. Just as McDonald's and Walmart employees and the mail man have to wear uniforms, so do those with business or casual business dress codes. In the end, that is their uniform. Some have to wear suits and heels, but generally, a pair of slacks and a collared shirt or knit sweater suffice. You may not intend on meeting a client, but you never know when one will pop by, and believe me, they do. Whether it's fair or not, you're taken more seriously when dressed the part. What that part is depends on the job, obviously.

I've had numerous jobs over the years that have called for different attire. I've had assigned uniforms (grocery store), grubbies (factory), business attire (bank teller), nice jeans/shirt (travel centre). Currently, I'm a teacher, where the dress attire is a little more casual, but even on 'dress down' Friday, you wear a nice pair of jeans and a nice sweater ... you don't show up in your faded jeans and t-shirt. I love my jeans and pyjamas, but when it comes to work, I like to look professional, and showing up dressed like my students doesn't cut it. In fact, some teachers who take the "casual" look too far, look less put together than most of their students. I like to be taken seriously.

I think it's entirely unfair to say that those who show up to work in clothes other than jeans are shallow. It's insulting, in fact.
    Hmm... I'm starting to think this could be a regional thing. Sure there are suits in Dublin being that it's a major city like any other... but there are still many many casual offices... outside of Dublin even more so. I'm more and more thankful for being Irish as this thread goes on.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    dont matter how good ur work is
    :D:D:D:D And there we have it folks :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    whats the matter? u think people only talk about the nonsense u discuss?
    lol

i couldnt give a flying fuck what other people think about what i discuss... i'm not vain that way... if people like me or dont i couldnt care one iota... you're on here justifying your 'wear a suit to work' crap.. i just couldnt see why people were on this thread going bonkers about what people wear to work?

if your work has a dress code fine.. if not then fine.. i cant see a fucking discussion.. its you who cant accept people like dressing down on a friday... not the other way round. if a guy works in a call centre and never sees a client ever, then i dont care if he's wearing a tutu and his skin is painted pink.. as long as he can help me out with my call.

the only people who care about your topics of discussion are the sycophants... and you maybe have a few... god knows why? my threads barely cause a ripple, but then, as i've said, i couldnt give a fucking shit :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:

obviously u care cause u were surprised lol
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    obviously u care cause u were surprised lol

that absolutely sense makes none.
    dunkman wrote:
    that absolutely sense makes none.

dunkin donuts

im still fucked up from sat night