whats the deal with people dressing down every single friday?

Comments

• NY PJ1 wrote:
    whats so hard to understand? they want us to dress nice ..very simple
    the company has 500 people in this office and we're very well known in the buisness world ( so like all 2 million people down here, in the financial district during the week , they expect us to get dressed up abit)
    its not a contract ,,just common sense
    But ehhh... you've said you meet people and you're kinda a face for your company? So you don't fall under what I was saying at all.

'they want us to dress nice... very simple' :D

If they want you to jump off a cliff, would it be that simple? Although you work seriously long hours don't ya? Sound like the kinda person who'd simply do anything for your company :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    But ehhh... you've said you meet people and you're kinda a face for your company? So you don't fall under what I was saying at all.

'they want us to dress nice... very simple' :D

If they want you to jump off a cliff, would it be that simple? Although you work seriously long hours don't ya? Sound like the kinda person who'd simply do anything for your company :(

no i dont meet people , 90% of buisness is phone related
    alot of dinners and events with clients after work ,so that plays into the situation

i work long hours because its the industry ( our markets open 7am and close 330 pm),, nothing i can do about that
    and actually i hate my company , but it pays the bills
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    no i dont meet people , 90% of buisness is phone related
    alot of dinners and events with clients after work ,so that plays into the situation

i work long hours because its the industry ( our markets open 7am and close 330 pm),, nothing i can do about that
    and actually i hate my company , but it pays the bills
    and the other 10%? Internet? Kinda ironic how you're sitting there arguing about professionalism on a message board in work in your nice slacks/pink jumper :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    and the other 10%? Internet? Kinda ironic how you're sitting there arguing about professionalism on a message board in work in your nice slacks/pink jumper :D

other 10% on bloomberg

my job gets done and done well actually

so my down time cant be spent on here

whats ironic is u dont dress like a female? thats weird in my book
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    other 10% on bloomberg

my job gets done and done well actually

so my down time cant be spent on here

whats ironic is u dont dress like a female? thats weird in my book
    :confused: Females don't wear jeans? Wow, you really got me on that one... Should I wear a skirt/dress to the building site I work on? :D

But since you're such a natural professional, shouldn't you be spending THIS time asking if there's anything more you can do? I'm sure your boss/es would ALWAYS find something for you to do.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • :confused: Females don't wear jeans? Wow, you really got me on that one... Should I wear a skirt/dress to the building site I work on? :D

That one confused me also.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • That one confused me also.
    :D i have to say... NYPJ1 really does have the BEST arguments :D:D:D That one still has me laughing.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • :D i have to say... NYPJ1 really does have the BEST arguments :D:D:D That one still has me laughing.

As long as you get the job done it really shouldn't matter what you wear.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • As long as you get the job done it really shouldn't matter what you wear.
    it's like a said a few posts back though, I'm beginning to think this may be yet again another regional issue. Quite a few of the Americans here think that you must pretty much put work first and always turn up on time, impeccably dressed and spend every second of the day doing whatever your boss wants, with the exception of your 5 days holidays you get a year, also present yourself for drugs tests whenever ordered to do so. The rest of us seem to be horrified by the thought :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    :confused: Females don't wear jeans? Wow, you really got me on that one... Should I wear a skirt/dress to the building site I work on? :D

But since you're such a natural professional, shouldn't you be spending THIS time asking if there's anything more you can do? I'm sure your boss/es would ALWAYS find something for you to do.

my whole job is taken care of ,, nothing else to do

if someone needs me they know where to find me

jeans and tee-shirts ?? not so much on the tee-shirts
    but regardless , im done with this,, u dont get it and thats fine

how did u become a construction worker by the way ? thats pretty odd
    im just being serious for a second
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    my whole job is taken care of ,, nothing else to do

if someone needs me they know where to find me

jeans and tee-shirts ?? not so much on the tee-shirts
    but regardless , im done with this,, u dont get it and thats fine

how did u become a construction worker by the way ? thats pretty odd
    im just being serious for a second
    How is it odd? :o I work in the office ON site... but there's quite a few women out on site on this job in different jobs.

If by t-shirts you mean loose baggy fitting, not generally my kinda style. Besides, if you want me to tell you what I'm wearing, isn't that usually PM talk? :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    250 posts...7 pages...of people arguing over work attire? :p it's pretty damn funny.

going with NY's initial premise, i don't see where the issue is? obviously he works in an office with a dress code, a clearly defined business casual dresscode, with NO 'dress down fridays'...and yet some employees take it upon themselves to dress down in any case. yes, that's off. you take a job, you agree to the terms, including dress code, and it's not up to you to reinvent it later on. if you don't like the dresscode, don't take the job.

to me, it's akin to letter carriers, police officers or anyone else who wears a uniform deciding arbitrarily they are not going to wear it certain days of the week. for most business professionals their 'uniform' is business casual. no, it does not improve your work, but it is what it is....and there is attached a certain perceived professionalism/seriousness associated with attire. that's how it is. just like wearing shorts and a t is considered casual and fun, trousers, dress shoes and a collared shirts equals business casual. there is nothing wrong with it. if you don't like it, again, don't take the job that requires it. easy. but if ya do, don't bitch later and try to remake the rules as you see fit.

i have no problem with 'work attire'.....and i actually prefer it for when at work. at my firm, i do not meet with clients, but they ARE everywhere...and we deal almost exclusively with fortune 500 companies. appearances DO matter, that's the way of the world. in business in particular, you want to be taken seriously, you dress seriously. i think nowadays dresscodes overall are sooo much more relaxed and allow for so much individuality, so it's all good imo.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

How is it odd? :o I work in the office ON site... but there's quite a few women out on site on this job in different jobs.

If by t-shirts you mean loose baggy fitting, not generally my kinda style. Besides, if you want me to tell you what I'm wearing, isn't that usually PM talk? :eek:

oh in an office gotcha

i thought u carried 500 lbs of cement and what not lol
    thats alittle odd for a female

and yes when i think of tee-shirts thats what i think of
    but now i understand
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    oh in an office gotcha

i thought u carried 500 lbs of cement and what not lol
    thats alittle odd for a female

and yes when i think of tee-shirts thats what i think of
    but now i understand
    you'd be surprised how many women work on sites... obviously men are still the vast majority but even from the first site I worked on, they all have a good few. So no, while you won't see ANYBODY carrying 500lbs of cement :D it's not odd for women to do the same jobs as men... it's odd that you suggest it is though :p

Look it's not like I'm AGAINST looking good... but I'm against the idea that somehow we should all be OBLIGED to look good for their employers. The idea of that just seems like a really strange and obviously really mild form of prostitution.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    The idea of that just seems like a really strange and obviously really mild form of prostitution.

:rolleyes:
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    mookie9999 wrote:

coming from a family of attorney's, I must say that's a pretty weak argument!

:D
    coming from a family of attorney's, I must say that's a pretty weak argument!

Something running through my head about not having anything nice to say. Frankly, I thought my argument held water! :D;)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Something running through my head about not having anything nice to say. Frankly, I thought my argument held water! :D;)

ha. sorry - I was referring to the mild form of prostitution! I was agreeing with your smiley icon!
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    mookie9999 wrote:
    What are you rolling your eyes at??
    Oh yeah..a mild form of prostitution. lol

hehehehehehehehe
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • coming from a family of attorney's, I must say that's a pretty weak argument!

well there ARE a few different definitions for prostitution... here's one it falls under:

"The act of setting one's self to sale"

You wear what your company tells you to wear so if you're dressing to make yourself look a certain way for financial gain... well what does that say to ya? :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    TrixieCat wrote:
    What are you rolling your eyes at??
    Oh yeah..a mild form of prostitution. lol

hehehehehehehehe

Sorry, what's that? I was just out whoring myself. I didn't intend on rolling my eyes, but I don't know how to use the thumbs up icon within the body of my response.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Sorry, what's that? I was just out whoring myself. I didn't intend on rolling my eyes, but I don't know how to use the thumbs up icon within the body of my response.
    Like this?
    :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    im a hooker ? :confused:

hey mookie did u wear the wife beater this weekend?
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    NY PJ1 wrote:

With ketchup or spaghetti sauce on it?
    Rygar wrote:
    With ketchup or spaghetti sauce on it?

ehh it doesnt matter people will buy real estate from someone who wears garbage lol
    NY PJ1 wrote:

Unfortunately, I didn't. I forgot to pick up my best wife beater at the dry cleaners. It's probably why I didn't sell the damn unit!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• mookie9999 wrote:
    Unfortunately, I didn't. I forgot to pick up my best wife beater at the dry cleaners. It's probably why I didn't sell the damn unit!
    I'm :confused:

Are you selling the unit or yourself? :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    mookie9999 wrote:

haha at the dry cleaners !!! nice

the paulie walnuts look

slacks and the wife beater ...u should go for it mookie

dress however ya want ,,dont worry about it
    I'm :confused:

Are you selling the unit or yourself? :o
    It's his unit.
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    haha at the dry cleaners !!! nice

the paulie walnuts look

slacks and the wife beater ...u should go for it mookie

dress however ya want ,,dont worry about it
    Gold chain, gold watch, 4 gold rings, 1 front tooth in gold, and a gold earring = unit rented.