Options

Reparations (monetary compensation to slave ancestors)

Comments

• Options
    denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    "and in a stunning move, KFC and FUBU have teamed up as business partners."
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    denverfan wrote:
    "and in a stunning move, KFC and FUBU have teamed up as business partners."

That was one of the funniest skits on the Chappelle Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM34oyPAFOc&search=chappelle%20show%20reparations
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    What about the Japanese and Japanese Americans that where placed in work camps during WWII?

Actually, there were monetary reparations paid for loss of property and land. Japanese American farmers were forced to sell their land at a loss before being evacuated to the camps. Also, payments directly to living detainees were made under Reagan, $20k each.

I do see your point, though. Making cash payments to the descendants of slaves and deciding who should pay would be very complicated.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Ive never owned one.

Nor did anyone in my family.

I dont owe them shit.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Actually, there were monetary reparations paid for loss of property and land. Japanese American farmers were forced to sell their land at a loss before being evacuated to the camps. Also, payments directly to living detainees were made under Reagan, $20k each.

I do see your point, though. Making cash payments to the descendants of slaves and deciding who should pay would be very complicated.

Well thank you for pointing out my mistake.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Well thank you for pointing out my mistake.

Did you watch any of the new Chappelle's Show? I was somewhat disappointed with it.
  • Options
    Did you watch any of the new Chappelle's Show? I was somewhat disappointed with it.

No. I kind of figured it wouldn't be the same without Dave.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    No. I kind of figured it wouldn't be the same without Dave.

Pretty much. One sketch I am looking forward to is Dave's impersonation or reference to the Howard Dean "YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!" incident. That looks pretty funny.

Of course, it's still approximately 1000x better than Mind of Mencia
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Pretty much. One sketch I am looking forward to is Dave's impersonation or reference to the Howard Dean "YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!" incident. That looks pretty funny.

Of course, it's still approximately 1000x better than Mind of Mencia

I liked the new Chappelle's Show episodes once the hilarious (cough cough) hosts shut up. They suck at hosting, but are funny in the skits. I seriously liked a lot of what was shown - especially the revenge skit.

And I also like Mind of Mencia. It's the Mexican version of Chappelle's Show but will never be as good or even close.
  • Options
    truroutetruroute Posts: 251
    Quit hijackin' my thread you guys.

On another note, Mencia isn't funny anymore. How many times can you hear "BEANER" before it isnt funny. Besides, Mencia is from Hungary or something (from what I read somewhere)
  • Options
    truroute wrote:

On another note, Mencia isn't funny anymore. How many times can you hear "BEANER" before it isnt funny. Besides, Mencia is from Hungary or something (from what I read somewhere)

Honduras.
  • Options
    truroute wrote:

He acts like his stuff is so edgy and dangerous. Wow, Mr. Mencia, you're really onto something. Ethnic/stereotype-based humor. How groundbreaking.
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,831
    I'm kind of with cornnifer on this one. It is the right thing to do - but I have absolutely no idea how it could be carried out. Simply mailing out checks probably wouldn't do a whole lot of good - though, like in that Chappelle Show skit, the economy would probably pick up for a short time from sales tax alone.

Many extremely wealthy businesses exist today because of slavery. Sure, they're doing business without slaves now (provided you don't look into any third-world sweatshops, that is) - but would they have had the opportunity to be doing business now had they not used slaves in the past? I can't postulate on that - I'm not into "what-ifs." I'm into what-ises (er something). What is the case is the fact that the U.S. is one of the most powerful nations in the world, and slavery is one of the reasons why - probably the single biggest reason, actually. Having tax-free profits and no paid employees tends to generate quite a bit of wealth and power for a select few - who, then in turn helped sculpt the government into what it is today. Take this how you will, but with the obvious exception of blacks, we are all (yes, every one of us) "better off" because of slavery. So in my opinion, something should be done. What, I don't know.

Free college/trade school (i.e. post-high school) education for all native born blacks for the next 50 years? That might help not only the individuals, but the overall nation - and would be a lot easier to do.

Community investment, perhaps? Fix up neighborhoods and schools (seriously, guys, we should be doing this one anyway) in black neighborhoods - and don't anyone pull that "well, how do we know a neighborhood is black?" bullshit. White people know where they are. White people intentionally created them. Maybe even low or no interest loans or grants for blacks who want to buy property.

These are just two that popped off the top of my head - and might work better than cutting checks.

As for the person who mentioned reparations for the Jews because they were enslaved by the Egyptians and (much later) Germans - wasn't that what Isreal was for? And the Native Americans? Well, I'm not opposed to reparations for them, either.
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    Many extremely wealthy businesses exist today because of slavery. Sure, they're doing business without slaves now (provided you don't look into any third-world sweatshops, that is) - but would they have had the opportunity to be doing business now had they not used slaves in the past? I can't postulate on that - I'm not into "what-ifs."

Great post.

Another way to look at it is this: I know you don't like "what-ifs", but what if the federal government had actually taken care of reconstruction efforts right after the Civil War and fulfilled our obligations to newly free slaves like we said we would? If the effort had been made to integrate freed slaves into society with full rights and opportunities, what would this country look like now?
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    I'm kind of with cornnifer on this one. It is the right thing to do - but I have absolutely no idea how it could be carried out. Simply mailing out checks probably wouldn't do a whole lot of good - though, like in that Chappelle Show skit, the economy would probably pick up for a short time from sales tax alone.

Many extremely wealthy businesses exist today because of slavery. Sure, they're doing business without slaves now (provided you don't look into any third-world sweatshops, that is) - but would they have had the opportunity to be doing business now had they not used slaves in the past? I can't postulate on that - I'm not into "what-ifs." I'm into what-ises (er something). What is the case is the fact that the U.S. is one of the most powerful nations in the world, and slavery is one of the reasons why - probably the single biggest reason, actually. Having tax-free profits and no paid employees tends to generate quite a bit of wealth and power for a select few - who, then in turn helped sculpt the government into what it is today. Take this how you will, but with the obvious exception of blacks, we are all (yes, every one of us) "better off" because of slavery. So in my opinion, something should be done. What, I don't know.

Free college/trade school (i.e. post-high school) education for all native born blacks for the next 50 years? That might help not only the individuals, but the overall nation - and would be a lot easier to do.

Community investment, perhaps? Fix up neighborhoods and schools (seriously, guys, we should be doing this one anyway) in black neighborhoods - and don't anyone pull that "well, how do we know a neighborhood is black?" bullshit. White people know where they are. White people intentionally created them. Maybe even low or no interest loans or grants for blacks who want to buy property.

These are just two that popped off the top of my head - and might work better than cutting checks.

As for the person who mentioned reparations for the Jews because they were enslaved by the Egyptians and (much later) Germans - wasn't that what Isreal was for? And the Native Americans? Well, I'm not opposed to reparations for them, either.

So uh...what ever happend to the everyone is equal thing? Where my free college tech school? Wheres my interest free loans? Oh, I dont get them because I'm white.
  • Options
    truroute wrote:
    So uh...what ever happend to the everyone is equal thing? Where my free college tech school? Wheres my interest free loans? Oh, I dont get them because I'm white.
    No, you don't - and yes, it's because you're white. I'm not sure what happened to the equality thing myself, but it certainly doesn't exist here in the U.S.

I'm a white man (well, not technically - but let's not get into geneology and just say I'm not in any way part black). I'm currently in my 9th or 10th year of paying back college loans - and I currently can't afford a house myself. Yet I still have no problem suggesting these things - because I see everyday how much better I have it. And it's because I'm white.
  • Options
    truroute wrote:

Here's a hypothetical: If you had a choice, would you be willing to somehow live as a black person in order to get access to interest free loans and paid college tuition, or would you rather stay white?

If the answer is "stay white", than you should quit complaining.
  • Options
    denverfandenverfan Posts: 218

Totally..the lost episodes we're lost for a reason..
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • Options
    Here's a hypothetical: If you had a choice, would you be willing to somehow live as a black person in order to get access to interest free loans and paid college tuition, or would you rather stay white?

Not necessarily. Haven't you heard? Everyone wants to be a black man -- until the cops show up.
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    Not necessarily. Haven't you heard? Everyone wants to be a black man -- until the cops show up.

I'm reminded of the Chris Rock line about how not even a white one-legged busboy would trade places with him: "Nah, I think I'm gonna ride this 'white' thing out and see how it goes..."
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 821
    This is a toxic and useless discussion that only pisses people off and helps prolong the state of racism in this Country and World. The only way we move ahead as a Nation and as a Human Race is to try to learn from our ancestors mistakes and quit dragging out matters such as these, which will only serve to keep racism alive through the generations. As Mr. Robbins' "Shawshank" buddy Morgan Freeman said, "the only way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10482634/

I'm sure he doesn't mean to forget "Black History"...but is it necessary to devote a whole month to rehash the subject over and over? I don't think so. Future generations should simply study it in history class for no more or no less than the amount of time it takes to study the massacre of the Indians, the Holocaust, or any other major topic throughout history. Study it...remember it...learn from it...don't take it personally...and move on.

Bad shit has happened all throughout history.

Bad shit is going to continue to happen unfortunately.

Some shit we can fix.

Some shit we can't.

Reparations to actual slaves or their children (not grandchildren) should have happened, but they should have happened immediately...not 140 years after the end of the Civil War.

By the way...what about the "40 acres and a mule thing?" Wasn't that enough? :)

Seriously though...It's not going to happen so what's the point of arguing about it?
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Spartancus wrote:
    I'm sure he doesn't mean to forget "Black History"...but is it necessary to devote a whole month to rehash the subject over and over? I don't think so.

At least it's the shortest month of the year ;)

(Harmless fun to any offended)
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Financial reparations for something that happened this far back in the past is perhaps the worst and stupiest idea I can imagine right now ... Think of all the examples of one group of people harming another, across history. Where would it end? Is anyone on the planet NOT entitled to some form of compensation, under this logic? Moreover, what would a money grab actually do, either in terms of healing or in terms of punishment of the guilty party? The latter doesn't exist anymore, and arguing that descendents of people who were wronged should get compensation makes no sense to me. For instance, the Canadian government is paying out a lot of $ to people who contracted an illness through tainted blood a few years back. Should the children and/or grandchildren of these people also get $? Where would it end?

I am afraid to even read this entire thread, for fear that peoples' responses will make my skin crawl. How is this idea even defensible, by any reasonable person? There are better things that can be done to combat inequality, assuming that this is even the motive here.
  • Options

Please explain to me what me living as a black person has to do w/ reparations?
  • Options
    Spartancus wrote:
    As Mr. Robbins' "Shawshank" buddy Morgan Freeman said, "the only way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it."

I really like this quote.
    Not because I think people should pretend racism doesn't exist, but because the point (I think) is that staying mired in the past won't make the problem go away.
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    No, you don't - and yes, it's because you're white. I'm not sure what happened to the equality thing myself, but it certainly doesn't exist here in the U.S.

I'm a white man (well, not technically - but let's not get into geneology and just say I'm not in any way part black). I'm currently in my 9th or 10th year of paying back college loans - and I currently can't afford a house myself. Yet I still have no problem suggesting these things - because I see everyday how much better I have it. And it's because I'm white.

You have it better because you chose to better yourself. Everyone has the opportunity to go to college (if grades permit), even if you can't afford it straight up, they could go your route and obtain loans.
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:

A similar topic came up yesterday, and let's just say that I don't view all the good things in my life as the sole products of skin color. That view is dehumanizing and offensive to me, pure and simple.
  • Options

And...

It really seems that you're really quick to just appease the ppl wanting reparations w/out looking into it.

Its all to easy to just pay'em so they quit whining about the past. (until the next civil rights "leader" steps up)
  • Options
    truroute wrote:
    You have it better because you chose to better yourself. Everyone has the opportunity to go to college (if grades permit), even if you can't afford it straight up, they could go your route and obtain loans.

I don't know about everyone, but this is a lot closer to "the truth" than some unidimensional argument that all white people are lucky and all black people are screwed.
  • Options
    Spartancus wrote:
    This is a toxic and useless discussion that only pisses people off and helps prolong the state of racism in this Country and World. The only way we move ahead as a Nation and as a Human Race is to try to learn from our ancestors mistakes and quit dragging out matters such as these, which will only serve to keep racism alive through the generations. As Mr. Robbins' "Shawshank" buddy Morgan Freeman said, "the only way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10482634/

I'm sure he doesn't mean to forget "Black History"...but is it necessary to devote a whole month to rehash the subject over and over? I don't think so. Future generations should simply study it in history class for no more or no less than the amount of time it takes to study the massacre of the Indians, the Holocaust, or any other major topic throughout history. Study it...remember it...learn from it...don't take it personally...and move on.

Bad shit has happened all throughout history.

Bad shit is going to continue to happen unfortunately.

Some shit we can fix.

Some shit we can't.

Reparations to actual slaves or their children (not grandchildren) should have happened, but they should have happened immediately...not 140 years after the end of the Civil War.

By the way...what about the "40 acres and a mule thing?" Wasn't that enough? :)

Seriously though...It's not going to happen so what's the point of arguing about it?

Great thought out post.