Options

this one's for hippiemom

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I felt that she and I were on the same wavelength in so many ways. That is so sad. I'm very sorry.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss.

Hippiemom's sweetness, humor, wit, intellect and insight (just to name a few things) will be very deeply missed around here...
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    firstly, thank you for taking the time during your grief to come here and let us all know of your tragic news. my deepest sympathies to you and all your family.

i know i am not alone, as this thread can attest, in saying your mother was a TRULY BELOVED member of this community.

hearts & thoughts
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I don't know what to say. :( Your mom was truly a wonderful person and I'm so glad I got to know her just a little. Thanks so much for letting us know and my heart goes out to you and your family. It's rare when someone touches so many people...she was indeed special. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,630
    deepest sympathy to you and your family.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    <3<3<3
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    It sometimes difficult to be able to tell much about a person's character through this type of media, but you could definitely tell that Laura was a very special and caring person. I had the utmost respect for her and my prayers go out to her family.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Bouse... I can't imagine how hard this is on you, since it's hard on me and I never even met Laura.

You were so incredibly lucky to have her in your life.
    She was an example for us all.

And yes, thank you so much for letting us know at such a difficult time.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Bouse, please know that there are many here who never knew your mother in person, but who were touched by her just the same.

Laura was one of the most compassionate, caring, intelligent, insightful, funny, honest and beautiful people I've had the pleasure of corresponding with, although too infrequently. Her wisdom will be missed.

I'm tremendously sad today, but happy to have been touched by her.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    big hugs Bouse. big gentle hugs. and a big gentle hug for The Bob as well. ive been thinking about all of you all weekend long. i lit a single candle for Laura on saturday night and spun all of her favorite tunes.

<3<3<3
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Bouse:

Clicked with Laura from the first post I had the pleasure of reading...just seemed to be a down to earth person that was able to see through it all. Will miss her.
    ....my thoughts are with you and your family.

Charles
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Wow.

I don't know what to say. You guys are the best :) I'm truly blown away.

Thank you so much ... all your thoughts and prayers must have made a difference, because here I am.

I'm a bit wobbly at the moment, but I just wanted to stop by for a minute to tell you all how very much I love you, and how much this means to me.

All the love in the world,
    Laura

Something to hold on to.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:

The pineapple bombs t-shirt was one of her favorite shirts, if not the favorite shirt of hers.

and whomever posted the link to the youtube video of tribute to heroes, I watched it, and lost it. :( :( :(

I'm sorry to hear this, Jamie, Jessica and Michelle. I've known Laura personally, and even Michelle. Michelle, if you're reading this, I'm Josh, the one that hung out with you and your mom in Toledo back in 2004. Then the last time I saw you, we were just about to go into the Pittsburgh show. You waited in line with me.

My condolences.

Laura will always be loved, and will be missed. She truly was a great person and a heart the size of this earth.
    Oh help me, help me from myself!!!

Theres not going to be an accoustic version of Blood or anything like that, so feel free to sit down.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Bouse wrote:
    She asked a long time ago that no flowers be sent and suggested that instead people give donations to charitable causes she supported, such as the Memphis Three:
    http://www.wm3.org/live/howtohelp/index.php

Anyone who knows of other causes of which she was supportive, please let me know.

Here are some others she supported:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=4558496&postcount=14
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    We're dedicating Trading Stories with the Leaves #3 to her. If you want to include words, we've created some space within the pages:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=266294
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    We're dedicating Trading Stories with the Leaves #3 to her. If you want to include words, we've created some space within the pages:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=266294
    What a wonderful thing.
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    To Laura's Family...

I am so deeply heartbroken to learn of Laura's passing. I am among those who didn't have the opportunity to meet her in person... but she certainly 'touched' my life. She was there with beautiful, sound, kind words for me when my Father was preparing to leave this world and after he had gone... reminding me to allow myself the space and time to grieve... and assuring me that the light he shone on all of us would remain in our hearts forever. And of course ... It does.

This thread in itself is a testament of the impact she had on so many people in this community. Sharing positive energy and hope to us all ... even while digging to find it for herself.

Laura's light will remain ... in our hearts forever. There is no dark so deep that could ever cover up such a glorious light! A beautiful light that shone so brightly ... keeping so many of us warm ... letting us know that 'someone' was always 'there'. I know that light will continue to burn strong through all of our precious memories of her.
    Exercising her will to lose control...
    she lets go
  • Options
    (This might appear quite sentimental.. so anyone with a problem with that, just deal with it OK)

Hippiemom, I didn't speak to you a great deal, but I've heard a great deal spoken about you. You really left your mark on people. The Pit. Friends. Family. From my perspective, this goes to show how miracles can be happening right under our noses, lives are being changed, but our cynical selves rarely notice until it's too late.

You will be missed.

Mark
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    To me, the name hippiemon always conjured images of a loving, caring soul, full of compassion and empathy. In all of the time I’ve spent here, I don’t know if I ever read a single post from her that didn’t support the invocations of that name. I didn’t know her well, but always admired her wisdom, insight, and resiliency.
    My condolences to her family. Rest in peace Laura.
  • Options
    I miss you already... I miss you always
    Three crooked hearts and swirls all around... I miss you all day

<3<3<3

:(
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    pearl jam brought us together for a brief moment ... and in those songs like long road and light years - it will keep us together ...
  • Options
    An inspiration to us all.... her passion, knowledge and witty banter will be greatly missed
  • Options
    If this board is any representation of her "real" life, I can't imagine how many people she has touched, and were better because of her.

I never had that many direct exchanges or conversations with her, but I've taken with me a lot of the things that she has said.

The world is just a little darker without her in it.

My deepest sympathies to all of her family and friends...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    This is not really important, but...Ms. Haiku was asking for pictures of Laura to be perhaps included in the fanzine dedicated to her. Everyone is now remembering hippiemom for her wisdom and sweetness. She surely was those things. But let's not forget her feistiness, her rage against injustice and stupidity and ignorance. Those were even more beautiful traits of her. In this spirit, I suggested as one of the pictures... the first one I saw of hers years ago. She had her middle finger up and a beautiful, defiant look on her face.
    She may have lost her battle to cancer, but in my mind right now she is saying "fuck you, bastard. You may have taken me away from my family and friends, but I am still so much better than you"

She posted the pic herself... was it 2005? I think she liked it. It was so "her" :). If anyone knows what I am talking about and perhaps knows of a way to retrieve who took it and ask permission for publication... I think it would do her justice. Of course, I would not bother the family about it at this time. But maybe someone here took it?
  • Options
    dakatidakati Posts: 17
    Rest in peace Laura.

You will be missed.

:(:(:(
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    This is not really important, but...Ms. Haiku was asking for pictures of Laura to be perhaps included in the fanzine dedicated to her. Everyone is now remembering hippiemom for her wisdom and sweetness. She surely was those things. But let's not forget her feistiness, her rage against injustice and stupidity and ignorance. Those were even more beautiful traits of her. In this spirit, I suggested as one of the pictures... the first one I saw of hers years ago. She had her middle finger up and a beautiful, defiant look on her face.
    She may have lost her battle to cancer, but in my mind right now she is saying "fuck you, bastard. You may have taken me away from my family and friends, but I am still so much better than you"

She posted the pic herself... was it 2005? I think she liked it. It was so "her" :). If anyone knows what I am talking about and perhaps knows of a way to retrieve who took it and ask permission for publication... I think it would do her justice. Of course, I would not bother the family about it at this time. But maybe someone here took it?

I know exactly what pic you are talking about. I think she took it with her cell phone. I'm pretty sure the photo was pre 2005, but she may not have posted it until then. Probably one of my favorite pics of here. I think Charlie may have it.

Theres not going to be an accoustic version of Blood or anything like that, so feel free to sit down.
  • Options
    NOTHINGFAN wrote:
    I know exactly what pic you are talking about. I think she took it with her cell phone. I'm pretty sure the photo was pre 2005, but she may not have posted it until then. Probably one of my favorite pics of here. I think Charlie may have it.

I found it. I really hope it can be used.
  • Options

• Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    meme wrote:
    This is not really important, but...Ms. Haiku was asking for pictures of Laura to be perhaps included in the fanzine dedicated to her. Everyone is now remembering hippiemom for her wisdom and sweetness. She surely was those things. [size=+2] But let's not forget her feistiness, her rage against injustice and stupidity and ignorance. Those were even more beautiful traits of her.[/size] In this spirit, I suggested as one of the pictures... the first one I saw of hers years ago. She had her middle finger up and a beautiful, defiant look on her face.

Yes yes yes!!

Yes, I remember that picture!!! It is somewhere in this thread, I think!!!??

Here's the picture of her along with friends at the pre-party in Detroit:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/merich/Pearl%20Jam%202006/Detroit%205-22-2006/CCFA-Detroit-5-22-06a.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/merich/Pearl%20Jam%202006/Detroit%205-22-2006/CCFA-Detroit-5-22-06b.jpg
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    A true inspiration to all of us in life and now in death.