Options

this one's for hippiemom

Comments

• Options
    I'll be dedicating my little gig tonight to her. She'd have liked that, I think. :)

that is really cool of you.

can you guys cover long road?
    Oh help me, help me from myself!!!

Theres not going to be an accoustic version of Blood or anything like that, so feel free to sit down.
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    NOTHINGFAN wrote:
    that is really cool of you.

can you guys cover long road?

That would be a great idea.... and if fins isn't too shy, have it videotaped?

I think it would mean a lot in this thread, for both Laura's family and friends. :)

How are you today, TheLostSoul?

Hello Bouse... how are you doing?

xoxo
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    IamMine wrote:

I think it would mean a lot in this thread, for both Laura's family and friends. :)

that would be totally awesome.

Theres not going to be an accoustic version of Blood or anything like that, so feel free to sit down.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I heard the news Tuesday morning. I didn't expect it at all. I didn't know she had been that ill. The last time I remember chatting with hippiemom was on gabbly many months ago, probably back in the spring. I wish I had been on here more often lately. No, I wish this had never happened. I wish she was posting something on this board today. But I all can do is remember the chats we've had, and also the posts of hers that I've admired. I considered her a mentor. She was very calm and rational but never afraid to make her point. She had a lot of great and interesting things to say. A great sense of humor. It's sad. May her light shine on. My sympathies to her family.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I'll be dedicating my little gig tonight to her. She'd have liked that, I think. :)

that's so lovely... :)

she was a statue amongst gnomes... its ok.. it makes sense in my mind :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    IamMine wrote:

(((IamMine)))

im ok i guess. but i honestly have little control of when or where i lose control of my emotions. dats what the hoodie is for i guess.

last night was not good. not a good time to be home alone. i looked for josh or jeff online and they were no where to be found... feckers... lol.

but after a long day of travel, i am home. big hug from mom helps. and mom's cooking helps. Laura always said I was too thin, so I'm gonna oink it. that should make her smile right?
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    (((IamMine)))

im ok i guess. but i honestly have little control of when or where i lose control of my emotions. dats what the hoodie is for i guess.

last night was not good. not a good time to be home alone. i looked for josh or jeff online and they were no where to be found... feckers... lol.

but after a long day of travel, i am home. big hug from mom helps. and mom's cooking helps. Laura always said I was too thin, so I'm gonna oink it. that should make her smile right?

See, I'm here now, but you're in bed due to being up at 4am this morning. ;)

Where's Jeff, does he come here?

• Options
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    I heard the news Tuesday morning. I didn't expect it at all. I didn't know she had been that ill. The last time I remember chatting with hippiemom was on gabbly many months ago, probably back in the spring. I wish I had been on here more often lately. No, I wish this had never happened. I wish she was posting something on this board today. But I all can do is remember the chats we've had, and also the posts of hers that I've admired. I considered her a mentor. She was very calm and rational but never afraid to make her point. She had a lot of great and interesting things to say. A great sense of humor. It's sad. May her light shine on. My sympathies to her family.

very well said. that was very nice of you to post this. :)

• Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,374
    I still don't know what to say.

It's been several days now and every day I have come into this thread to say/type something.

But I just haven't been able to.

I haven't been around much over the last three or four months. But almost every day I would check to see how Laura was doing and if there was any progress in her recovery. I often felt a bit of nervous when opening this thread and seeing her posting and updating us on her battle and condition; always made me hopefull

I got the sickest feeling in my stomach, just before I came in this thread, the other day. I was crushed.

I never met Laura in person. Only through some PMs and in Gabby, did we chat other than our posts.

But some how I loved the woman. She was something special.

I can only offer my deepest, heartfelt condolences to her family, her friends.....everyone who loved her.

I don't know what else to say.
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Sad,sad news. All love to Hippiemom's family.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Kat has given me permission to post a tribute to Laura from the man who began this thread and who no longer posts here. He knew Laura best of most of us here, and he wanted me to post his message for him. I feel a little shy about it, because that very post mentions me towards the end, and my music too. But thank you, Kat, and thank you, Brent. Most of all, thank you, Laura.

From Brent:

My heart and deepest sympathies go out to the friends and family of Laura. Laura was a dear friend of mine,
    and this has been a very tough, sad past few days for me, too. I'm among those who can't quite believe that
    she's gone. Only very slowly the effort makes its way out of the grief. Maybe this pain is nature's way
    of reminding us of just how sweet this life can sometimes be. She was one sweet soul.

I first became online friends with Laura back around election time 2004 on the Haven message board. We
    shared a lot of the same political ideals and our friendship carried over to the Message Pit early that
    next year. She never thought or treated me as some sort of crazy oddball even though I chose to live out
    of a tent half the time. "You have to do what you have to do," she said.

Our friendship grew over time and we shared stories of our growing up, our families, and the
    events that had made an impact on our lives. Without any sort of judgements. She could be very funny, too.
    It is the rare woman that can crack a sarcastic one liner and make me laugh, and she could do that. She could also tell a heck of a story. The one about her grandma locking the car door on the bears still cracks me up thinking about it.
    Another one of the things that stands out to me today from that time is that she had a fascination
    and desire to one day go to Machu Picchu. It was a place she had learned about back in her school days,
    and it had really gotten ahold of her imagination.

Going into the latter part of 2005 she seemed in high spirits. She had met some good people and had some good
    times in Toronto, Ontario for the PJ shows. Pearl Jam in concert was living energy for her. So she came
    out of that tour really raring to go. This may be hard for some of you to believe, but she actually
    considered quitting smoking in October. It was a sort of, if you do it, I'll do it proposition. Unfortunately,
    later in the month she started getting some pains in her abdomen and you all know where that eventually
    led to.

After the cancer diagnosis, she continued to take on life and its issues with her usual no nonsense approach.
    I remember someone posted some pictures of some mythic looking she-warriors in deference to Laura's strength
    after the surgery in February '06. Laura told me, "I don't see myself that way." In all honesty I never really
    came to see her in that light, either, but she did fight. Her strength was in her dignity. She took things
    head on and on her terms as best she could. She didn't like her chances against this cancer and she took the
    hard line that her time was short. I think it's safe to say I'm not the only one who wasn't able to fully take
    that same approach. I researched everything I could find for her and even had a mantra I would sometimes invoke in some of our conversations: "spontaneous remission...spontaneous remission...." Stranger things have
    happened. She knew that. There was always hope.
    I don't know exactly when it was this year, sometime after Germany maybe, when she said to me in an almost
    too matter-of-fact way, "I know my goose is cooked..." Of course I would hear nothing of it, idiot that I was.
    I guess now in retrospect, in all of the memories and words together in this awful battle she was going through,
    I now know that at some point she had welcomed the inevitabilty of death. What she hated and what hurt her the most
    was the pain she knew it was going cause the ones she loved.

It all came so suddenly, to me. I thought she was going to be okay for some years to come. I feel guilty
    for not listening more closely, or maybe even cowardly for not being able to face it as she was facing it herself. I
    cried the day she told me they were hooking her up to oxygen, and had to hold phone away so she couldn't
    hear me. I could not bring myself to believe she wasn't going to get through it somehow. I got it together
    enough to warn her that she can't be smoking around bottled oxygen. She assured me it was all under
    control. She was so sweet and so very calm about it all, as always.

I feel so very fortunate to have known her and had the time we had. I will cherish the friendship forever. I think
    if she were here now she would be saying, "We have to get through this." And she would be right.

I came across this song a couple of days ago called, "Faith in Blame" by none other than the Message Pit's
    own FinsburyParkCarrots. I don't know exactly what he had in mind when he wrote it but there was something
    about it, through this grieving process that it seems we all have to go through from time to time that rings
    so true. I've asked him to include the link to it here. I've found some solace in it. Maybe some of you
    will, too.

I miss you Laura
    Much love, in tears

Brent Begeman

___

Fins, back, here. Well, those who know, know where to find my song. It's on
    http://www.myspace.com/finsburytunes. Did you know, I did a couple of live global webcasts last year, and Laura was the one who got out of bed in the early hours and watched them live! :)

I love that woman. Always will. I love Bouse too! :)
  • Options
    (((IamMine)))

{{{{{TheLostSoul}}}}

I love hugs!!! When you hugged me twice, I could not help but thinking of this hug video I had seen some time ago - we need more hugs in this world!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

:D

Want to hear something funny?

I went to our local gas station in this little white republican town...

I saw this guy I knew and he was checking out an aisle. He works there but his clothes indicated he was off duty.

So I walked up behind him and whacked his head.

He turns around and gave the WTF look…. *gasps*

It wasn't him!!!

Oh I felt sooo small!!! I kept apologizing and said I thought it was somebody I knew… he put his hands up and said yeah yeah…and looked at me as if I was some wacko.

The cashier tried to contain himself and as soon as this customer walked out the door, he burst out laughing!

:D
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    IamMine wrote:

Hello Bouse... how are you doing?

xoxo

I'll do a home demo at the webcam version, and YouTube it for her, at the weekend, for Laura. She was my biggest fan, you know.
  • Options
    Thank you, Fins and to Kat for allowing Brent to share his tribute to Laura!

You were one of those great friends to Laura and not only those who were lucky to have her as friends, but she was lucky to have you all too. :)

Fins, I look forward to your video and see what Laura thought was so great about you! ;)
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I'll do a home demo at the webcam version, and YouTube it for her, at the weekend, for Laura. She was my biggest fan, you know.
    Thanks Fins. That was great. Brent thanks you too. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    all of you are wonderful. Thanks so much for your support. I'm in tears now, honest to god. From Fins' song to the hugs video, all the the kind words. You people are great. Thank you.

We love you Laura.

• Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    The passage of time helps to smooth and deal.. then forever we live better having been blessed by you..
  • Options
    FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
    I haven't been around here much but I just read this. What awful, awful news. Hippiemom was a genuinely nice person and very caring in her writings, never mean or nasty. She always put a human touch in her thoughts to issues and debates which was something many of us didn't. My condolences to her family.
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • Options
    (((IamMine))) :)

sometimes a hug is all that is needed on a particular day. i communicated with Laura just about every single day. sometimes it was a 3 hour long conversation. sometimes it was just a single text message with "big hugs". i think that is the hard part, waiting for the phone to ring, or at least looking to see if the little red light is blinking meaning i have a text.
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Just found this thread...all my best to her family and friends. She will be missed. RIP.
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    What words cannot say, so says the music...

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=266772
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,874
    sorry for all of you who knew her...
  • Options
    H mama. I miss you bunches! My 5 year old nephew Matthew says I talk and walk like a drunk. I can hear you laffing...
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    I've haven't been here often last weeks, because my moms was in the hospital because she has cancer...... This disease really sucks....

My thoughts and prayers are with h-moms family.
  • Options
    Going into the latter part of 2005 she seemed in high spirits. She had met some good people and had some good
    times in Toronto, Ontario for the PJ shows. Pearl Jam in concert was living energy for her. So she came
    out of that tour really raring to go.

:) She was is high spirits...man, I wish you all could have seen her after the Toronto show! She was just beaming smiles. :) I love that smile.

Thanks Fins, Brent and Kat.

She touched so many of us with her loving soul! I'm so glad we can rally together here in her honour. It's very touching and healing to read about everyone's fond memories of her.

I'd like to share my tribute to Laura:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=266402

With love to Laura, her friends and family. So sorely missed and dearly remembered. Her spirit will live forever in our hearts and minds! :)
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    Oh My.....I wish everyone who knew Laura a lot of strength with their grief! Life is not fair :(

This next quote os not for now, but for when time has passed:

'The pain passes, but the beauty remains' (Pierre Auguste Renoir)

Love,
    Francisca
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    I've haven't been here often last weeks, because my moms was in the hospital because she has cancer...... This disease really sucks....

My thoughts and prayers are with h-moms family.

I hope you mom will be fine Disconnected!!!! *Hugs*

I know so many that have either died or are fighting this disease....no words for it, just hurts....

Keep strong!

Love, Francisca.
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,185
    Kat has given me permission to post a tribute to Laura from the man who began this thread and who no longer posts here. He knew Laura best of most of us here, and he wanted me to post his message for him. I feel a little shy about it, because that very post mentions me towards the end, and my music too. But thank you, Kat, and thank you, Brent. Most of all, thank you, Laura.

From Brent:

My heart and deepest sympathies go out to the friends and family of Laura. Laura was a dear friend of mine,
    and this has been a very tough, sad past few days for me, too. I'm among those who can't quite believe that
    she's gone. Only very slowly the effort makes its way out of the grief. Maybe this pain is nature's way
    of reminding us of just how sweet this life can sometimes be. She was one sweet soul.

I first became online friends with Laura back around election time 2004 on the Haven message board. We
    shared a lot of the same political ideals and our friendship carried over to the Message Pit early that
    next year. She never thought or treated me as some sort of crazy oddball even though I chose to live out
    of a tent half the time. "You have to do what you have to do," she said.

Our friendship grew over time and we shared stories of our growing up, our families, and the
    events that had made an impact on our lives. Without any sort of judgements. She could be very funny, too.
    It is the rare woman that can crack a sarcastic one liner and make me laugh, and she could do that. She could also tell a heck of a story. The one about her grandma locking the car door on the bears still cracks me up thinking about it.
    Another one of the things that stands out to me today from that time is that she had a fascination
    and desire to one day go to Machu Picchu. It was a place she had learned about back in her school days,
    and it had really gotten ahold of her imagination.

out of that tour really raring to go. This may be hard for some of you to believe, but she actually
    considered quitting smoking in October. It was a sort of, if you do it, I'll do it proposition. Unfortunately,
    later in the month she started getting some pains in her abdomen and you all know where that eventually
    led to.

After the cancer diagnosis, she continued to take on life and its issues with her usual no nonsense approach.
    I remember someone posted some pictures of some mythic looking she-warriors in deference to Laura's strength
    after the surgery in February '06. Laura told me, "I don't see myself that way." In all honesty I never really
    came to see her in that light, either, but she did fight. Her strength was in her dignity. She took things
    head on and on her terms as best she could. She didn't like her chances against this cancer and she took the
    hard line that her time was short. I think it's safe to say I'm not the only one who wasn't able to fully take
    that same approach. I researched everything I could find for her and even had a mantra I would sometimes invoke in some of our conversations: "spontaneous remission...spontaneous remission...." Stranger things have
    happened. She knew that. There was always hope.
    I don't know exactly when it was this year, sometime after Germany maybe, when she said to me in an almost
    too matter-of-fact way, "I know my goose is cooked..." Of course I would hear nothing of it, idiot that I was.
    I guess now in retrospect, in all of the memories and words together in this awful battle she was going through,
    I now know that at some point she had welcomed the inevitabilty of death. What she hated and what hurt her the most
    was the pain she knew it was going cause the ones she loved.

It all came so suddenly, to me. I thought she was going to be okay for some years to come. I feel guilty
    for not listening more closely, or maybe even cowardly for not being able to face it as she was facing it herself. I
    cried the day she told me they were hooking her up to oxygen, and had to hold phone away so she couldn't
    hear me. I could not bring myself to believe she wasn't going to get through it somehow. I got it together
    enough to warn her that she can't be smoking around bottled oxygen. She assured me it was all under
    control. She was so sweet and so very calm about it all, as always.

I feel so very fortunate to have known her and had the time we had. I will cherish the friendship forever. I think
    if she were here now she would be saying, "We have to get through this." And she would be right.

I came across this song a couple of days ago called, "Faith in Blame" by none other than the Message Pit's
    own FinsburyParkCarrots. I don't know exactly what he had in mind when he wrote it but there was something
    about it, through this grieving process that it seems we all have to go through from time to time that rings
    so true. I've asked him to include the link to it here. I've found some solace in it. Maybe some of you
    will, too.

I miss you Laura
    Much love, in tears

Brent Begeman

___

Fins, back, here. Well, those who know, know where to find my song. It's on
    http://www.myspace.com/finsburytunes. Did you know, I did a couple of live global webcasts last year, and Laura was the one who got out of bed in the early hours and watched them live! :)

I love that woman. Always will. I love Bouse too! :)

thanks for sharing this with us :(
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    ((((((((((to all who love Laura))))))))

Just started on the Pit recently and this was one of the first threads I read. I was thrilled to read her posts that she was back home. I'm sad to hear that she passed. I didn't know her, never talked to her but my heart is filled with joy to know she touched the lives of so many.

My dad died a year ago and it really just sucks to lose someone. Wishing that everyone holds something beautiful about Laura close and dear to their hearts...

I played this for my daughter before bed tonight, just after I read of Laura's passing...thought it would be appropriate...when I think of my dad, I try to let go of the sadness of losing him and hold onto the joy and beauty and that I saw because of him and especially of all the times he made me laugh, this song helps me to remember that.

Peace to you hippiemom

One Step Closer To You
    Spearhead

I've been down for far too long
    Till my faith was nearly gone
    I never knew somebody just like you
    Could be a friend i could call my own

Till i let go of a broken heart
    I let go to an open heart
    I let go of my broken dreams
    I let go to the mystery
    And i believe in the miracles
    I believe in the spiritual
    I believe in the one above
    I believe in the one i love

& take one step closer to you
    I just take one step closer to you
    Even when i've fallen down
    My heart says follow through
    I take one step closer to you

I never meant to hurt you, no
    And you never meant to hurt me to
    But it seems like you always do
    And even though i'm scared sometimes
    If ever see you fallen down
    I will be the one that's there for you

So i let go of a broken heart
    I let go to an open heart

I let go of my broken dreams
    I let go to the mystery
    And i believe in the miracles
    I believe in the spiritual
    I believe in the one above
    I believe in the one i love
    & take one step closer to you

I take one step closer to you

I keep on walking to you, i'm walking
    And i'm never going to stop

I'll take one step closer
    I'll take two steps closer

Just take one step closer to you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a55OBtmlwW4
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    I hope you mom will be fine Disconnected!!!! *Hugs*

I know so many that have either died or are fighting this disease....no words for it, just hurts....

Keep strong!

Love, Francisca.

Thanks, chances on recovery look good at this moment.

I know four people with cancer, two people who survived it, then there's a co-worker fighting cancer and one who past away in a few weeks after they discovered cancer...