Options

How is abortion morally ethical.....

Comments

• Options
    AliAli Posts: 2,621
    NCfan wrote:
    I often wonder how abortion is unethical. It seems like one of the most ethical medical practices to me.
    tHEN MAYBE YOUR PARENTS SHOULDVE ENDED YOUR LIFE IN THE FIRST DAYS OF YOUR CONCEPTION AND ABORTED YOU.

OOPS.SORRY.

THAT'S NOT MURDER JUST LIKE THE DEATH PENALTY,IS IT?
    A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

PETITION TO STOP THE BAN OF SMOKING IN BARS IN THE UNITED STATES....Anyone?
  • Options
    Ali wrote:
    tHEN MAYBE YOUR PARENTS SHOULDVE ENDED YOUR LIFE IN THE FIRST DAYS OF YOUR CONCEPTION AND ABORTED YOU.

OOPS.SORRY.

THAT'S NOT MURDER JUST LIKE THE DEATH PENALTY,IS IT?
    I think what that person meant is that it's better to end the life of an unwanted child versus raising it in an unloving environment.

***I just jumped in now, didn't really read anything before, just what it looks like to me***
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    dangerboy wrote:
    no one is trying to control your reproductive rights. no one is trying to FORCE you to become pregnant, nor are they trying to FORCE you to not become pregnant.

but, once you are pregnant, you are trying to FORCE your will on the other being by (in my view, selfishly) imposing YOUR views on another being. and you are also trying to FORCE your views on the other person necessary for you to become pregnant, namely the male, by saying that it is for you to decide and you only.

Hahaha, well, I AM male. If I were in a relationship, I would hope to be open to dialogue with my partner and that we would have an equal decision in the process. Personally, I am not FOR abortion. I doubt many people here are. The point is that it is not our place to tell a woman what to do (outside of our personal relationships). That said, I disagree with your comparison of a woman forcing her view on this being, as you call it. I don't believe a fetus to be a human being. The potential is there, sure. But a fetus is not an independently sustainable, fully formed human being living in our society. Until it does, it is part and property of the mother.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    DOSW wrote:
    It's impossible not to get frustrated and annoyed with the other side in an argument like this.

This is one of those topics where both sides really can't stand the other viewpoint.

I can stand them and their opinions, I just can't stand that when we get into these discussions, they can't answer any of the logical questions posed to them in a straightforward manner. I've posed many a logical/philosophical query only to be met with rhetorical answers, evasiveness and smugness.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    miller8966 wrote:
    yet the death penalty is not?

for me, to put it in the most simplistic terms . . . to end the process of possibility for something that *may* be . . . in opposition to ending the future of possibilities for someone that *is*...and therein lies the difference, and the morality.
    DSOW wrote:
    This is one of those topics where both sides really can't stand the other viewpoint.

i cannot speak for all on the other side of the fence, but for me, entirely untrue. i can stand, tolerate, respect the other viewpoint . . . and all i ask is the same. you live your life, i'll live mine . . . and allow all to make their own decisions, their own choices.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    This country was founded on the idea of freedom of choice. Why should you make choices for others?
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i hate abortions. i must've spent $1000 on those things over the past few years!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dangerboy wrote:
    no one is trying to control your reproductive rights. no one is trying to FORCE you to become pregnant, nor are they trying to FORCE you to not become pregnant.

but, once you are pregnant, you are trying to FORCE your will on the other being by (in my view, selfishly) imposing YOUR views on another being. and you are also trying to FORCE your views on the other person necessary for you to become pregnant, namely the male, by saying that it is for you to decide and you only.

see, here's the impasse. a woman gets pregnant and doesn't want to carry the pregnancy to term. out of respect for her partner, she tells him and makes her wishes known. he counters with the wish that the pregnancy be continued. she tells him that having been pregnant before and knowing in all honesty what having this child will do to her, says she can not become a mother again. for her own mental well being she knows what her choice should be. the partner disagrees with her. he wants the child. he is now trying to force his will on her. her choice is simple isn't it? she loses her partner or she loses her sanity. i know which choice i would make.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I've posed many a logical/philosophical query only to be met with rhetorical answers, evasiveness and smugness.

You can't play the logic card in a discussion like this. I think my views are much more logical than yours, and you think your views are more logical than mine.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    Nevermind wrote:
    This country was founded on the idea of freedom of choice. Why should you make choices for others?

Making choices for others... it's called a "law."

Laws against murder prevent the 'choice' to commit murder.
    Laws against stealing prevent the 'choice to steal.
    Et cetera, et cetera.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    DOSW wrote:
    Making choices for others... it's called a "law."

Laws against murder prevent the 'choice' to commit murder.
    Laws against stealing prevent the 'choice to steal.
    Et cetera, et cetera.
    But you've yet to explain in any factual or logical way how you arrived at the conclusion that a human embryo is the same thing as a fully developed human being. Until you can, your opinion is merely your opinion and is of no consequence to anyone with a different opinion.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    But you've yet to explain in any factual or logical way how you arrived at the conclusion that a human embryo is the same thing as a fully developed human being. Until you can, your opinion is merely your opinion and is of no consequence to anyone with a different opinion.

Page six:
    DOSW wrote:
    I personally could not care less what is or is not human life. In my opinion, that is a completely overblown argument when it comes to abortion.

A fetus WILL BE a human life, even if it isn't yet. It's like saying a jackpot lottery ticket is worthless because it hasn't been cashed in yet.

When you have an abortion, you are taking a human life. No amount of attempted rationalization (like 'but it's not a human life yet!') can change that fact.
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    I personally could not care less what is or is not human life. In my opinion, that is a completely overblown argument when it comes to abortion.

A fetus WILL BE a human life, even if it isn't yet. It's like saying a jackpot lottery ticket is worthless because it hasn't been cashed in yet.

When you have an abortion, you are taking a human life. No amount of attempted rationalization (like 'but it's not a human life yet!') can change that fact.
    Dare I ask about stem cells? Are you willing to destroy embryos to get the stem cells? Are the embryos in freezers also human life?
    "Things will just get better and better even though it
    doesn't feel that way right now. That's the hopeful
    idea . . . Hope didn't get much applause . . .
    Hope! Hope is the underdog!"

-- EV, Live at the Showbox
  • Options
    Hope&Anger wrote:
    Dare I ask about stem cells? Are you willing to destroy embryos to get the stem cells? Are the embryos in freezers also human life?

No. I am all for stem cell research, because those embryos will never become a breathing human being.
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:

That doesn't explain anything. It is YOUR OPINION that because a fetus will ONE DAY be a human life, that destroying it is the equivalent killing a fully developed human being. I disagree with you, because to me fetus is not NOW a fully developed human being, any more than an egg is a chicken. You've introduced no facts to support your claim that abortion is the same as murdering an independently functioning person.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    That doesn't explain anything. It is YOUR OPINION that because a fetus will ONE DAY be a human life, that destroying it is the equivalent killing a fully developed human being. I disagree with you, because to me fetus is not NOW a fully developed human being, any more than an egg is a chicken. You've introduced no facts to support your claim that abortion is the same as murdering an independently functioning person.

Look... it's obviously MY OPINION. If there were any concrete facts in a discussion like this, there would be no debate.

It's like saying that you need to state facts to support a claim that you don't like chocolate. It's clearly just someone's opinion.

(and if you ask me, a fertilized chicken egg is equivalent to a chicken...)
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    hippiemom wrote:

Is there any reason to believe that a developing fetus won't develop into a human being? Aside from miscarriage (a possible survival adaptation) is there a reason to believe that the cells that are joined at conception won't develop into a human? There is all sorts of evidence that shows the embryonic development of life... which is the hard part of the issue. No one can agree what life is and when life begins. A sperm and egg that join are living cells. Those living cells begin to mature and divide into other living cells. No where along the way has life (rather something being living) ceased or not been; there is always a component of living things in development. It may come down to some people, how much does this cellular organism resemble a human and that's an argument I can accept...I don't agree with it but I can accept that some people feel that since there isn't a heartbeat or liver cells etc... at a very early stage that it's not capable of being an indepently functioning person; I can see that thought process. But I can't see how people can say it may not become human...pregnancy was designed for the reproduction of the species.

If we don't abort a human fetus (artificially), the odds are that it will become a viable human...I imagine you won't disagree with that...the opinion comes in that it is equivolent to killing an out of womb human being.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    hippiemom wrote:

how is that an opinion? im no doctor but I thought a fetus becomes a human being? we arent born fully grown adults. isnt that a fact?

and in YOUR opinion a fetus is not a fully developed human being? really doctor?

so its ok to "murder" a fetus, taking away its chance to grow into a human.

how about an abortion that is in the late stages of pregnacy? some of those fetuses sure do look human to me.

im also tired of these chicken and tree examples. yes, its perfectly fine to murder a chicken before it becomes a adult chicken. why? becuase we eat them.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    I can stand them and their opinions, I just can't stand that when we get into these discussions, they can't answer any of the logical questions posed to them in a straightforward manner. I've posed many a logical/philosophical query only to be met with rhetorical answers, evasiveness and smugness.

reason we must continue to keep asking these seemingly straight forward questions...they are reading..and with all their might resisting contemplating them...but on a subconciouse level..they are indeed processing. Very hard to change inputs from the past...but new inputs do make a difference.

And remember......we are soooo special. (-:
    Watched a great program on grey whales on PBS yesterday......like to see a human navigate the oceans.... communicate...cool stuff.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    reason we must continue to keep asking these seemingly straight forward questions...they are reading..and with all their might resisting contemplating them...but on a subconciouse level..they are indeed processing. Very hard to change inputs from the past...but new inputs do make a difference.

Gee, now that I think about it, you guys are 100% correct in everything you say! :D
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    DOSW wrote:
    Gee, now that I think about it, you guys are 100% correct in everything you say! :D

thats funny....(-; not being sarcastic.

...remember....we once thought the earth was flat...we do evolve....ha ha .
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    how is that an opinion? im no doctor but I thought a fetus becomes a human being? we arent born fully grown adults. isnt that a fact?
    Of course it becomes a human being, but destroying it before it is fully developed, before it has a nervous system or consciousness, is not the same as killing a mature being.
    jlew24asu wrote:
    and in YOUR opinion a fetus is not a fully developed human being? really doctor?
    Not, it's not my opinion. It is a FACT that a fetus is not fully developed.
    jlew24asu wrote:
    so its ok to "murder" a fetus, taking away its chance to grow into a human.
    In my opinion, we are under no obligation to allow every fertilized egg to grow to maturity. In my opinion, the word "murder" cannot be used to describe the destruction of a pre-conscious being. And of course, because it is merely my opinion, I don't attempt to compel others to behave in accordance with it. I highly recommend that those who are opposed to abortion refrain from having abortions.
    jlew24asu wrote:
    how about an abortion that is in the late stages of pregnacy? some of those fetuses sure do look human to me.
    Before 20 weeks or so, a fetus doesn't have the ability to feel pain or to comprehend what is happening to it, or even that it exists. Once it has that capacity, my opinion is that abortion is only acceptable to save the life of the mother, or to prevent permanent damage to her health.
    jlew24asu wrote:
    im also tired of these chicken and tree examples. yes, its perfectly fine to murder a chicken before it becomes a adult chicken. why? becuase we eat them.
    Clearly, you aren't comprehending the purpose of the analogies.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Clearly, you aren't comprehending the purpose of the analogies.

must you always be so condesending. yes I comprehend the purpose of the analogies. I dont think they are useful to this discussion.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    must you always be so condesending. yes I comprehend the purpose of the analogies. I dont think they are useful to this discussion.
    Your responses to them indicate that you aren't comprehending them.
    jlew24asu wrote:
    Once again ... I am not questioning whether or not it's ok to eat eggs. I think that it is. I am asking whether cracking eggs is the same thing as chopping the heads off chickens, whether sweeping up acorns is the same thing as chopping down trees .... not whether they are the same thing as having an abortion.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,154
    hippiemom wrote:
    Your responses to them indicate that you aren't comprehending them.

Once again ... I am not questioning whether or not it's ok to eat eggs. I think that it is. I am asking whether cracking eggs is the same thing as chopping the heads off chickens, whether sweeping up acorns is the same thing as chopping down trees .... not whether they are the same thing as having an abortion.

Are you still in here spewing your murderous ways? ;)

Can't let it go, huh?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Are you still in here spewing your murderous ways? ;)

Can't let it go, huh?
    I can't help it ... I don't have much to do yet today and I'm trying to keep my mind off the fact that it's FREEZING in this office. Brrrrrrr.....
  • Options
    I guess these discussions really are pointless. not everyone will agree when human life begins.

I wont be marching either way.

you want to keep it legal to abort a baby, ok. personally, I cant ever see it being justified, and I'm also not a woman. its not my body we are talking about.

you want to make it illegal? ok fine. alot more babies will get a chance to live when otherwise they wouldn't
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I guess these discussions really are pointless. not everyone will agree when human life begins.

I wont be marching either way.

you want to keep it legal to abort a baby, ok. personally, I cant ever see it being justified, and I'm also not a woman. its not my body we are talking about.

you want to make it illegal? ok fine. alot more babies will get a chance to live when otherwise they wouldn't

and a lot more will end up in the trash, murdered, starved, sexually abused, bounced around a fucked up foster care system, dumb, on welfare, divorced, having more out of wedlock/unwanted kids, etc...
  • Options
    and a lot more will end up in the trash, murdered, starved, sexually abused, bounced around a fucked up foster care system, dumb, on welfare, divorced, having more out of wedlock/unwanted kids, etc...

so killing them is justified. what was I thinking
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    so killing them is justified. what was I thinking

actually, im more a proponent of sterilization for dumb people. but im not getting what i want any time soon. in any case, you statement again assumes abortion is "killing" something, a point we will never see eye to eye on.

i do have a question though. what about rape? do you think there should be an exception for abortion in cases of rape or incest?