Options

How is abortion morally ethical.....

Comments

• Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    I'm sayin despite my conservative stance on this issue, I am by no means, a right winger.

ah ok I gotcha. I didnt follow what you said in this thread.
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
    jlew24asu wrote:
    ah ok I gotcha. I didnt follow what you said in this thread.

probably better that you don't... i seem to be the minority here!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I apologize. I meant most. feel better now?

i feel fine, but thanks for asking. your view, or posts...have no bearing on how i feel. i was merely making a point. however, i actually disagree even with that statement, but i'll not quibble.

:)

hippiemom, i thank you for making me feel sane.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I wholeheartedly agree with you about acorns and trees. And I say, rake up all the acorns you want. Put 'em in a pie and eat 'em. I don't care.

I'm sayin that an acorn can't be put on the same level as a fetus. EVER.
    And I'm saying that I never put an acorn on the same level as a fetus. I'm talking about your logic here, not about trees vs. people.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    Interesting. But it's completely different when the body naturally expels an embryo by accident. That's nature, or God, or whatever power you believe in, choosing that embryo to be discarded. That's not for us to decide.

IN YOUR OPINION...it is not for us to decide. to me, it very much IS our right. in the animal kingdom, mothers of all species will kill their young if they know they don't have enough food to support them....male animals of many species are known to kill off newborns from other male mating so that they may mate with the female and pass on their genetic material....etc, etc.....killing off living things on purpose exists in nature in oh so many ways. so yea, i think it is a-ok and within the rights of a woman to knock a cluster of cells out. and hey, i am totally cool with you not being for it. i'd be sure to never have sex with ya. :p but don't try to tell me, or any woman...that it is not for *us* to decide. it simply is not for YOU to decide that. altho sure, i am far more in favor of prevention entirely...but if it happens...i think it well within the rights of a woman to make that call. thankfully, thus far that right has not been taken away.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    And I'm saying that I never put an acorn on the same level as a fetus. I'm talking about your logic here, not about trees vs. people.

Yo hip, we're done honey, DONE! ;)
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,127
    I love this debate...each side thinks the other is completely and utterly wrong...makes for some good stuff.

babykillers vs men who impose their will and beliefs on women and their bodies...on the next Jerry Springer.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I love this debate...each side thinks the other is completely and utterly wrong...makes for some good stuff.

babykillers vs men who impose their will and beliefs on women and their bodies...on the next Jerry Springer.

You're right. But if it were men who had babies, or if men could also have babies, I'd be talkin to them too.

and my EDIT:

AND IF THE QUEEN HAD BALLS, SHE'D BE KING.
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    Interesting. But it's completely different when the body naturally expels an embryo by accident. That's nature, or God, or whatever power you believe in, choosing that embryo to be discarded. That's not for us to decide.
    But we go against nature all the time! There's nothing unnatural about the virus that causes pneumonia. If you get pneumonia, are you going to say "That's god telling me it's time to go," or are you going to go see a doctor?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options

i don't think you're wrong to believe and practice what you believe. i ONLY think it's wrong when one trys to FORCE their set of beliefs on others who clearly do NOT follow that said belief. think and do as yo u please...nothing but respect. i only ask the same. :)

*edit contraction. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    AND IF THE QUEEN HAD BALLS, SHE'D BE KING.

I wasn't going to get involved, but then I saw this.

I should say, If the queen had balls she'd be a hermaphrodite. Not necissarily king. She would be outcast in some societies and others would praise her as an oracle.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I wasn't going to get involved, but then I saw this.

I should say, If the queen had balls she'd be a hermaphrodite. Not necissarily king. She would be outcast in some societies and others would praise her as an oracle.

Yeah, If is a deadly word sometimes.

Your post is funny though.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,127
    i don't think your wrong to believe and practice what you believe. i ONLY think it's wrong when one trys to FORCE their set of beliefs on others who clearly do NOT follow that said belief. think and do as yo u please...nothing but respect. i only ask the same. :)

Me too, stop forcing your will on those babies. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Me too, stop forcing your will on those babies. ;)

haha.
    well if we can agree on that, no worries. the babies are just fine. its the zygotes/embryos/fetuses i am discussing. ;) ya know, the little acorns. :D

anyway, my *will* has been forced on no one, and no thing...and i am happy about that. however, i fully support the right of any woman to make choices for herself..and sure..whatever cells are growing inside her. so yea, entirely up to her if she wants to have a baby and keep it, have a baby and give it up for adoption, or to have an abortion. i merely want the CHOICE to survive. and yes, for males....they have choice too. of course, male and female alike should use BC, whatever steps they can to prevent pregnancy, and most importantly, discuss such important issues as pro-life/pro-choice beforehand. although absolutely keep in mind, bottomline...at least, thankfully, at this time...the ultimate choice lies with the female....and she could change her mind in any direction if an unwanted pregnancy should occur....so be wise, and ready.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Locks are only there to keep the honest people out.

I mean, laws are only there to keep honest people in line. Without abortion there is numerous accounts of women killing their babies or abandoning them live in garbage cans. It goes back to seeing the makeshift doctor with a coat hanger to perform the abortion. Long before abortion was legal people were aborting their childs anyway. The sick thing is, sometimes they'd have to wait until after birth to kill it.

I will admit abortion is the killing of a living organism. It's like everytime you step on a bug you kill a living organism. Does anyone remember what it was like to be a fetus? No I guess not. So I don't give much credit to the Central Nervous System arguement.

I watched the "Kenny Dies" South Park episode last night and a good point was brought up. Eric was trying to get aborted fetuses to save Kenny's life, he convinced a pregnant woman to abort her child to try to save Kenny. Does that make sense, let one person die to give birth to another child? Like Eric said you can always make another one.

I think people put may too much value on a fetus. It's not conscious, it's not really anything but a series of organic cells arranged in human-like manner.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

hahahahahaha

How the fuck does that big dog just sit there and take that?
  • Options

How the fuck does that _________ just sit there and take that?

*bites tongue*

i have no idea. i have a pug, and a pointer. and while our pug, male, does not abuse our pointer, female, in any such way...she DOES take so much abuse from him it's ridiculous. maybe dogs/animals are way smarter than us than we give em credit...they understand being kind to the little guy...givin' em a break....and sure, a little head really isn't that bad. :D

seriously...we just SOOO needed a break here.
    :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    jlew24asu wrote:
    "probably be neglected or something" thats how you justify killing it?

many people come from difficult beginnings, and turn out just fine.

How can you call it 'killing'? That's like comparing cracking open an egg to make breakfast with chopping off the head of a live chicken. Not even close to the same thing. You're not killing a living, independent being, you are merely ending the possibility of a being existing. You can spin it any way you want it, but it's a huge leap of logic you are taking.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:

Who are you to decide what's for us to decide? lol I'm serious.
  • Options
    Yeah, right on. I'm gonna say something that'll make 3/4's of the people here agree with me.

FUCK BUSH!

and I mean that.

Here here! :D
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

Don't start throwing logic around in here now, you know that doesn't fly. ;)
  • Options
    IN YOUR OPINION...it is not for us to decide. to me, it very much IS our right. in the animal kingdom, mothers of all species will kill their young if they know they don't have enough food to support them....male animals of many species are known to kill off newborns from other male mating so that they may mate with the female and pass on their genetic material....etc, etc.....killing off living things on purpose exists in nature in oh so many ways. so yea, i think it is a-ok and within the rights of a woman to knock a cluster of cells out. and hey, i am totally cool with you not being for it. i'd be sure to never have sex with ya. :p but don't try to tell me, or any woman...that it is not for *us* to decide. it simply is not for YOU to decide that. altho sure, i am far more in favor of prevention entirely...but if it happens...i think it well within the rights of a woman to make that call. thankfully, thus far that right has not been taken away.

Right on M!!!! ;)

Edit: and with 5 posts in a row, I have reached my quota.
  • Options
    How can you call it 'killing'? That's like comparing cracking open an egg to make breakfast with chopping off the head of a live chicken. Not even close to the same thing. You're not killing a living, independent being, you are merely ending the possibility of a being existing. You can spin it any way you want it, but it's a huge leap of logic you are taking.

chickens and people are different. I dont find it a "logical" comparison
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:

How exactly are people and chickens THAT much different, other than you belong to the 'people' species? We are both animals. We are both creatures in this world. We both have life and purpose in this world. Do you think we are 'better' or more 'special' than chickens. Or, in fact, do you believe we are not even a member of the animal kingdom?

We are all animals in this world. We value our own kind and think we are 'above' them, because that is ingrained in us. But, thankfully, we possess the logic to realize that we in fact are not. We are equals. I can understand how someone, including myself, can value a human over say a chicken or a fox. But in reality, when you step back and really think about it, it doesn't make a difference. Why shouldn't we value all animal life the same, us included? Think about it.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    No one is comparing chickens or trees to people! It's the logic we're debating, not the objects. Egg is to chicken as embryo is to person. Acorn is to tree as embryo is to person. See?

No one is saying that there's a moral equivalent between chopping down a tree, or killing a chicken, and killing a person.

You are saying that destroying an embryo is the same as killing a person, because the embryo left to develop will become a person.

If I say to you that sweeping up acorns is the same thing as chopping down oak trees, or that cracking eggs is the same thing as slaughtering chickens, you'll probably say I'm nuts, but it's YOUR logic that I'm using to say that.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    No one is comparing chickens or trees to people!

Oops. :o Guess I screwed up. :D

That said, I completely agree with everything you said. Guess I got sidetracked in a man vs. animal debate. :)
  • Options
    Oops. :o Guess I screwed up. :D

That said, I completely agree with everything you said. Guess I got sidetracked in a man vs. animal debate. :)
    Haha! I agree with you too, but I didn't want to go off in too many different directions at once :)
  • Options
    How exactly are people and chickens THAT much different, .

seriously? do I have to explain this...
    Do you think we are 'better' or more 'special' than chickens. .

yes
    Or, in fact, do you believe we are not even a member of the animal kingdom?.

no i dont.
  • Options
    picks up needle, gingerly drops it on vinyl....then out of the speakers....

You spin me right round baby right round
    Like a record baby, right round round round

:)

you people are so fun!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...