Options

How is abortion morally ethical.....

Comments

• Options
    miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,452
    hippiemom wrote:
    Because it's her body.

No when a baby is formed its "ours"..if its just yours than i shouldnt have to pay child support.
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    hippiemom wrote:
    It's kind of disturbing that even though you agree that it's not a choice anyone should make for another person, you'd have no problem with the government doing exactly that.

maybe he's a liberal after all. ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,452
    hippiemom wrote:
    It's kind of disturbing that even though you agree that it's not a choice anyone should make for another person, you'd have no problem with the government doing exactly that.

i have no problem with the government regulating murder...people act like abortions are a good thing. ITs the most vile thing a woman could ever do...she should be ashamed for the rest of her life. Its nothing to be proud of, just like rape is nothing to be proud of
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    miller8966 wrote:
    i have no problem with the government regulating murder...people act like abortions are a good thing. ITs the most vile thing a woman could ever do...she should be ashamed for the rest of her life. Its nothing to be proud of, just like rape is nothing to be proud of

Ironic, since I always felt one of the most vile things a man can do is try to control the reproductive rights of a woman. Funny.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    So I ask, why do you value humans more than other animals?

because an animal cant produce beautiful music, a peice of art, perform a heart transplant, create a lazor to correct bad vision, cook a meal, play a sport, write a poem, write a novel, i cant believe I am debating this.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    miller8966 wrote:
    Until you can explain to me exactly how you reached the conclusion that it's murder, there's no point in talking about it. As I said earlier, your personal feelings and opinions are fine to use when making decisions in your own life, but they're worthless to anyone else. If you can't make a logical and convincing argument for your beliefs, there's no reason for anyone to pay them any mind.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    because an animal cant produce beautiful music, a peice of art, perform a heart transplant, create a lazor to correct bad vision, cook a meal, play a sport, write a poem, write a novel, i cant believe I am debating this.

But other animals do so much that we can't, and so much that we don't even know about. Do you honestly think you know all of the interactions that take place between each animal species? You are so self absorbed to think those things you listed make us 'better' than other animal species. Those things you listed are so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Every animal species has very unique characteristics that set them apart from all others. A bat would have no need for laser corrective eye surgery, a honeybee does not care about poetry. Yet, we cannot make honey nor have the communication style of honeybees or the built in radar of a bat. The things you listed are but a minute variance in our species from another. Certainly nothing to claim us as superior. In your frame of context, sure I can understand it. But, you are limiting your perspective. Look at it not as a human in a humans world, but as an animal in an Earth community.
  • Options
    But other animals do so much that we can't, and so much that we don't even know about. Do you honestly think you know all of the interactions that take place between each animal species? You are so self absorbed to think those things you listed make us 'better' than other animal species. Those things you listed are so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Every animal species has very unique characteristics that set them apart from all others. A bat would have no need for laser corrective eye surgery, a honeybee does not care about poetry. Yet, we cannot make honey nor have the communication style of honeybees or the built in radar of a bat. The things you listed are but a minute variance in our species from another. Certainly nothing to claim us as superior. In your frame of context, sure I can understand it. But, you are limiting your perspective. Look at it not as a human in a humans world, but as an animal in an Earth community.

I never thought I would be on a message board trying to explain to someone why humans are superior to animals.

note to self: dont read poetry to honeybees. they dont care.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I never thought I would be on a message board trying to explain to someone why humans are superior to animals.

What is it that makes poetry of greater value than honey?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:

It's kind of funny that you are frustrated with me. I think you are completely missing my point. It is very elementary.

If I ask a 5th grader what makes humans better than sharks or deer or antelope, I would expect them to answer the way you did. I would expect them to say, 'well, because we have football and calligraphy and grapefruit juice and wheel of fortune'. I SEE that. I grew up with that mentality. You don't need to explain that to me, I see that. It is ingrained in us well enough.

BUT, one great thing that I think does set us apart is our logic and reasoning (doesn't necessarily make us better). And that logic tells me (and most philosophers) that we are NOT unique, we are NOT special. What we think makes us great is rather insignificant in not only the universe and time/space, but even in our own ecosystems. You can see my point based on the examples I gave before. However, it is less about specifics and more about a general understanding about your place in this world. It is all at once overwhelming and multi faceted and at the same time so simple to see.

You don't need to explain or argue how humans are superior to animals. I see that behavior every day in our culture. It is the reason we are destroying our habitat or ecosystem and it is the reason we will ultimately fail in our quest for self-sustainability, independent from nature.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    What is it that makes poetry of greater value than honey?

how bout poetry to a cockroach?

i love cockroaches. its a beautiful animal that deserves my respect and admiration.
  • Options
    It's kind of funny that you are frustrated with me. I think you are completely missing my point. .

no i got your point. and im not frustrated. its laughable to me.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    how bout poetry to a cockroach?

i love cockroaches. its a beautiful animal that deserves my respect and admiration.
    Again ... what is it that makes poetry more valuable than honey?
  • Options
    You don't need to explain or argue how humans are superior to animals. I see that behavior every day in our culture. It is the reason we are destroying our habitat or ecosystem and it is the reason we will ultimately fail in our quest for self-sustainability, independent from nature.

have you ever eaten an animal?
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    no i got your point. and im not frustrated. its laughable to me.

That's too bad. As I said, it's that smugness and lack of empathy/understanding and belief that we can live seperate from nature that is our ultimate shortcoming and will be the downfall of our species.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    have you ever eaten an animal?

Yes I have.

Circle of life.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Again ... what is it that makes poetry more valuable than honey?

again, I believe humans are superior to animals. spare me you silly questions. i like honey, it tastes good.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    again, I believe humans are superior to animals. spare me you silly questions. i like honey, it tastes good.

Until you stop answering questions on a 5th grade level and enter into adult philosophical/logical debate, we will continue to ask the same questions.
  • Options
    Until you stop answering questions on a 5th grade level and enter into adult philosophical/logical debate, we will continue to ask the same questions.

i already answered why i believe humans are superior to animals. i only wish and hope i can one day answer these bonehead questions on the superior level you are on
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    Again, the fact that you believe it is irrelevant to anyone else if you can't tell us WHY.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Again, the fact that you believe it is irrelevant to anyone else if you can't tell us WHY.

try to read. i already told you why
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    try to read. i already told you why

You have stated what characteristics of us you think make us superior to animals. But, that is your opinion, which as stated is irrelevant if you can't state why those characteristics make us superior. There is a distinction that you have ignored.

I can say I am superior to you because I can play guitar or because I can burp the alphabet. But that is irrelevant unless I can come to a logical reason why that makes me superior to you. That is essentially what you are saying.
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:
    Why is everything the "womans" choice? What if she wants to keep it and i want it aborted? WHy is her opinion more valuable than mine. Why isnt abortion consentual, a woman can just walk in and have an abortion without notifying the father, how is that right?

She is carrying the baby and it's her body.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • Options
    miller8966 wrote:

As I already said, If abortion is outlawed, expect to see a big spike in crime, people on welfare, child abuse cases, etc in the decades to come as those millions of unwanted, abused and negleted children grow up.
    I personally will always find a dead fetus far less tragic than an abused, unwanted, unloved, neglected child.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    miller8966 wrote:
    Why is everything the "womans" choice? What if she wants to keep it and i want it aborted? WHy is her opinion more valuable than mine. Why isnt abortion consentual, a woman can just walk in and have an abortion without notifying the father, how is that right?

Well, it's her body, but I hope that when a woman decides to have an abortion and she has a partner, she will talk about it with him and not just have an abortion without notifying or informing the father...
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Collin wrote:
    Well, it's her body, but I hope that when a woman decides to have an abortion and she has a partner, she will talk about it with him and not just have an abortion without notifying or informing the father...

I agree, some men wish they could have children and be able to make that decision. To have the freedom to give birth without relying on someone else. I personally would never want to do it, but it would be nice to have the option. The issue tends to be entirely centred around women's choice. The whole pregnancy situation kind of puts the woman in the spotlight. Many times with the father doing a lot behind the scenes. Preparing for the baby and caring for the mother as well.

I also like to add that I watched a debate video on abortion. Many of the pro-life people were calling pro-choice, pro-death, which I think is uncalled for.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    miller8966 wrote:

i think the most vile thing i could do would be to walk down my hall right now, go into my children's room and slit their throats while they lay asleep in their beds.

see the difference?

i do.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    Ironic, since I always felt one of the most vile things a man can do is try to control the reproductive rights of a woman. Funny.

no one is trying to control your reproductive rights. no one is trying to FORCE you to become pregnant, nor are they trying to FORCE you to not become pregnant.

but, once you are pregnant, you are trying to FORCE your will on the other being by (in my view, selfishly) imposing YOUR views on another being. and you are also trying to FORCE your views on the other person necessary for you to become pregnant, namely the male, by saying that it is for you to decide and you only.

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    i *heart* abortion
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    It's impossible not to get frustrated and annoyed with the other side in an argument like this.

This is one of those topics where both sides really can't stand the other viewpoint.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win