Options

How is abortion morally ethical.....

Comments

• Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    jlew24asu wrote:
    your trying to say abortion is natural? now that is delusional

It is for our species. How can you dispute that?
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    callen wrote:
    so answer me this....do you think one persons religious convictions should trump anothers???

Cause thats what this is all about...some belive life starts at conception and others don't...and those that do...want to control how women that don't, treat their bodies.

Ooooooh EXCELLENT post!! Gotta remember that one. I nominate this best post of the thread.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
    callen wrote:
    so answer me this....do you think one persons religious convictions should trump anothers???

Cause thats what this is all about...some belive life starts at conception and others don't...and those that do...want to control how women that don't, treat their bodies.

That's a damn good question... But I think you can believe that life starts at conception without being religious at all-- You can believe that fetus is a life regardless of what a religion tells you. I mean, it's ugly, but it's obviously a human that is gonna one day be just like everybody else. I don't think you need God to tell you that, to me, it's obvious.

For those without a religion, or who don't believe in the afterlife-- isn't it more important that the kid experiences THIS life, especially if there is no second life? Yeah, some rotten shit goes down sometimes... but as we say, THAT'S LIFE. Life's pretty beautiful too.

I can't really emphasize it enough. It ain't about telling a woman how to treat her body. I think it's unfair to that other body that is so OBVIOUSLY a human being.

And to answer your question. Of course one person's religious beliefs should trump the others, IF IT'S RIGHT ;)
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    That's a damn good question... But I think you can believe that life starts at conception without being religious at all-- You can believe that fetus is a life regardless of what a religion tells you. I mean, it's ugly, but it's obviously a human that is gonna one day be just like everybody else. I don't think you need God to tell you that, to me, it's obvious.
    So what? I've got acorns all over my back yard. They contain all the genetic material required to produce an oak tree. If I leave them alone, one day they will be beautiful, majestic oaks. I'm not going to leave them alone though, I'm going to rake them up, and if some of them sprout I'm going to yank them out of the ground. Is that the same thing as chopping down trees?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    callen wrote:
    So ladies...lets not waste any of your eggs...because they can become human life...and fellas...no more wanking just for the fun of it..cause your wasting all those human lives...millions...ah ah ah...okay, for some, Billions of lives. (-:

Eggs themselves won't become a life. Sperm itself won't become a life. A fetus will.

Difficult concept, huh? :)
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    So what? I've got acorns all over my back yard. They contain all the genetic material required to produce an oak tree. If I leave them alone, one day they will be beautiful, majestic oaks. I'm not going to leave them alone though, I'm going to rake them up, and if some of them sprout I'm going to yank them out of the ground. Is that the same thing as chopping down trees?

Comparing trees and humans is like... COMPARING TREES AND HUMANS.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    seems like a low value for life IMO.

eh opps condom broke. get the vacuum honey.

But if they dont, the kid will probably be neglected or something, which isnt good for the parents or the kid.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

For those without a religion, or who don't believe in the afterlife-- isn't it more important that the kid experiences THIS life, especially if there is no second life? Yeah, some rotten shit goes down sometimes... but as we say, THAT'S LIFE. Life's pretty beautiful too.

I can't really emphasize it enough. It ain't about telling a woman how to treat her body. I think it's unfair to that other body that is so OBVIOUSLY a human being.

And to answer your question. Of course one person's religious beliefs should trump the others, IF IT'S RIGHT ;)

how exactly did you come up with life is at conception...I mean...few hours after the sperm entered the egg.......not that much happened...sooo if its not religious....tell me how do you then justify this particular time??? I'm thinking...you were influenced in your deductive reasoning.

OBVIOUSLY a human being...PLEASE!....
    LIke your last line...seriously...I always have to remember to change the word "right" with "correct" when I post here... (-:
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Comparing trees and humans is like... COMPARING TREES AND HUMANS.
    I wasn't comparing trees and humans.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    Eggs themselves won't become a life. Sperm itself won't become a life. A fetus will.

if you stop them before they become life.... (-:
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I wasn't comparing trees and humans.

I apologize then. I just have no idea what your last post meant. Aren't you and me done anyway? I thought we agreed that we're cool, and that we'll never change each other.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

That's a good point. If you think about it, though, sweeping a yard full of acorns probably is like the equivalent of chopping down a tree or two (considering 99.9% of the acorns won't grow into trees anyway). But it's just a tree, so in no way do I condone not clearing your yard of acorns. :D
  • Options
    Ooooooh EXCELLENT post!! Gotta remember that one. I nominate this best post of the thread.

blushing....thanks.
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    It is for our species. How can you dispute that?

what is for our species?
  • Options
    I apologize then. I just have no idea what your last post meant. Aren't you and me done anyway? I thought we agreed that we're cool, and that we'll never change each other.

Nah, she had a point. But even though the principle is the same, the fact that it's a tree and not a human makes it more acceptable.
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    how exactly did you come up with life is at conception...I mean...few hours after the sperm entered the egg.......not that much happened...sooo if its not religious....tell me how do you then justify this particular time??? I'm thinking...you were influenced in your deductive reasoning.

OBVIOUSLY a human being...PLEASE!....
    LIke your last line...seriously...I always have to remember to change the word "right" with "correct" when I post here... (-:

No, you're right, it's definitley not obvious at conception. I answered your question wrong. I think by the time most preople realize they're pregnant, that thing inside is starting to resemble something human. That's what I mean when I said obvious.

As far as life at conception, hey, a human life can't be without a sperm AND an egg. So to me, that's where life begins. There can be sperm, and there can be eggs, but there can't be life until they are joined... so to me, that is the beginning of it all.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    DOSW wrote:

actually, it MAY become a human life. as in, if all situations within the mother's womb remain ideal, that no problems exist/develop within the cell cluster to terminate the development, naturally i might add...forget 'on purpose.'. yep, the female human body sponanteously aborts! more often than you can even know. it is theorized that almost all women at one point or another during their actively fertile productivity, who are sexually active of course...probably have at least one miscarriage - a spontaneous abortion...usually w/o even knowing. so yea, many, many times....egg and sperm unite, become a zygote....an embryo...sometimes even an all-out fetus, and the body rejects it. so yea, not all fetuses become human. more probably don't make it than do.

so no, it's not a difficult concept at all.

hippiemom, good job. :) i get it, and i like it. anyone thinking you're comparing trees to humans..:rolleyes: although i will say, sheesh...we humans sure do think we are all *that*.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    But if they dont, the kid will probably be neglected or something, which isnt good for the parents or the kid.

"probably be neglected or something" thats how you justify killing it?

many people come from difficult beginnings, and turn out just fine.
  • Options
    And one more thing before I go:

Just because someone is pro-life DOES NOT make them a right-wing religious fanatic like so many people seem to think. Religion has nothing to do with my stance on abortion.
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    Nah, she had a point. But even though the principle is the same, the fact that it's a tree and not a human makes it more acceptable.

I really think I got her point. But we're talking about flesh, a soul, a thinking being that runs this world vs. A TREE.

But then again. The username is hippie mom.

And I'm a fuckin meathead-- what do I know??? ;)
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    And one more thing before I go:

Just because someone is pro-life DOES NOT make them a right-wing religious fanatic like so many people seem to think. Religion has nothing to do with my stance on abortion.

very good point. sadly no pro choice people will see it that way
  • Options
    actually, it MAY become a human life. as in, if all situations within the mother's womb remain ideal, that no problems exist/develop within the cell cluster to terminate the development, naturally i might add...forget 'on purpose.'. yep, the female human body sponanteously aborts! more often than you can even know. it is theorized that almost all women at one point or another during their actively fertile productivity, who are sexually active of course...probably have at least one miscarriage - a spontaneous abortion...usually w/o even knowing. so yea, many, many times....egg and sperm unite, become a zygote....an embryo...sometimes even an all-out fetus, and the body rejects it. so yea, not all fetuses become human. more probably don't make it than do.

Interesting. But it's completely different when the body naturally expels an embryo by accident. That's nature, or God, or whatever power you believe in, choosing that embryo to be discarded. That's not for us to decide.
  • Options
    Yeah, but I'm bored, lol.

You said that destroying something at a very early stage of development (embryo or fetus) is the same as destroying a mature thing (person), because if left alone it will become a mature thing itself. If that is true, then sweeping up acorns and yanking seedlings out of the ground is the same as chopping down oak trees.

I did not say that killing a person is the equivalent of chopping down a tree. THAT would be comparing trees and humans.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:

Yeah, right on. I'm gonna say something that'll make 3/4's of the people here agree with me.

FUCK BUSH!

and I mean that.
  • Options
    Yeah, right on. I'm gonna say something that'll make 3/4's of the people here agree with me.

FUCK BUSH!

and I mean that.

its actually more like 99%. thanks for sharing a unrelated to anything comment.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Yeah, but I'm bored, lol.

You said that destroying something at a very early stage of development (embryo or fetus) is the same as destroying a mature thing (person), because if left alone it will become a mature thing itself. If that is true, then sweeping up acorns and yanking seedlings out of the ground is the same as chopping down oak trees.

I did not say that killing a person is the equivalent of chopping down a tree. THAT would be comparing trees and humans.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about acorns and trees. And I say, rake up all the acorns you want. Put 'em in a pie and eat 'em. I don't care.

I'm sayin that an acorn can't be put on the same level as a fetus. EVER.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    jlew24asu wrote:

actually, that is just about as narrow a point of view as those you seem to be insulting. unbelievably, as a pro-choice individual, i CAN actually believe there are some who are pro-life..and not religious right-wing fanatics. yep....some of us can be open-minded enough to see that. even respect it. as long as you don't try to legislate YOUR personal beliefs on MY or any other woman's body....i totally respect ANYone's opinion on the topic. :)

man, i don't know why i let myself get sucked in, time and again...i soo should've stuck with:

you spin me round like a record, baby, right round round round

:D

I wholeheartedly agree with you about acorns and trees. And I say, rake up all the acorns you want. Put 'em in a pie and eat 'em. I don't care.

I'm sayin that an acorn can't be put on the same level as a fetus. EVER.

she wasn't. it was merely illustrative.
    an acorn does not equate a tree.
    a zygote does not equate a human.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    its actually more like 99%. thanks for sharing a unrelated to anything comment.

I'm sayin despite my conservative stance on this issue, I am by no means, a right winger.
  • Options
    actually, that is just about as narrow a point of view as those you seem to be insulting. unbelievably, as a pro-choice individual, i CAN actually believe there are some who are pro-life..and not religious right-wing fanatics. yep....some of us can be open-minded enough to see that. even respect it. as long as you don't try to legislate YOUR personal beliefs on MY or any other woman's body....i totally respect ANYone's opinion on the topic. :)

man, i don't know why i let myself get sucked in, time and again...i soo should've stuck with:

you spin me round like a record, baby, right round round round

:D

I apologize. I meant most. feel better now?
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    That's a good point. If you think about it, though, sweeping a yard full of acorns probably is like the equivalent of chopping down a tree or two (considering 99.9% of the acorns won't grow into trees anyway). But it's just a tree, so in no way do I condone not clearing your yard of acorns. :D
    Most fertilized eggs never become babies either ;)