Options

Let's Post Some Quotes

Comments

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    I guess the word 'taught' can be taken as waiting for a lesson or led into a line of thinking that is biased or manufactured.

But if you changed the word to 'encouraged', which is how I took the quote, it makes a stronger point.

People are encouraged to follow, fit in, adapt to things that they view as wrong against their better judgement. If independent thinking was encouraged by everyone and valued by the masses I think we'd see a much stronger society. Not too mention how public schools basiclly discourage independent thought and individualism in place of teaching conformity and following cues and orders instead.

It's still a passive stance. People shouldn't need to be encouraged, taught, prodded, forced, etc. They should just DO.

Face it, we're not some microorganism in the ocean being pushed about by the currents and tides and waves. Some people think that they are, and then they become that.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    It's still a passive stance. People shouldn't need to be encouraged, taught, prodded, forced, etc. They should just DO.

Face it, we're not some microorganism in the ocean being pushed about by the currents and tides and waves. Some people think that they are, and then they become that.

So you don't think there should be any good or useful encouragement? I think our actions alongside our environment helps shape who we are.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    People are encouraged to follow, fit in, adapt to things that they view as wrong against their better judgement.

"I remember the first time I saw someone
    lying on the cold street
    I thought: I can't just walk past here
    this can't just be true
    but I learned by example
    to just keep moving my feet
    it's amazing the things that we all learn to do"
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    lying on the cold street
    this can't just be true
    but I learned by example

Doesn't that part make you wanna cry. :o

Hey Collin! :)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    So you don't think there should be any good or useful encouragement? I think our actions alongside our environment helps shape who we are.

Nah - I didn't say there shouldn't be encouragement or that encouragement is a bad thing. I said people shouldn't NEED it in order to think for themselves.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    Collin wrote:
    lying on the cold street
    this can't just be true
    but I learned by example
    I love someone who moves feet....;), thanks for delivery....
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    8.HEAVEN, earth, HUmankind,
    United in the Path of harmony and joy,
    Following the ART OF PEACE
    Across the vast seas,
    And on the HIGHEST peaks...

*to that friend...: I hope you are well....
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    Strive each day to make your life purer, richer, and more luminous. You will subtly and imperceptibly lead all of creation heavenward.

Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being.

Apache Blessing

In recognition and celebration of 4 Winds and 5th Element....God with_in....peace.
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    9.IF YOU HAVE a life, you have access to the secrets of the ages, for the truth of the universe resides in each and every HUman BEing...
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    “This life is yours. Take the power to choose what you want to do and do it well. Take the power to love what you want in life and love it honestly. Take the power to walk in the forest and be a part of nature. Take the power to control your own life. No one else can do it for you. Take the power to make your life happy.” ~ Susan Polis Schutz

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    If it is committed in the name of God or country, there is no crime so heinous that the public will not forgive it.

Tom Robbins
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    "When did the future switch from being a promise to being a threat?"

Chuck Palahniuk
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

so very, very, true...milk fed masses...

thanks to all for your Beings...
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    10. THE ART OF PEACE is medicine for a sick world. We want to cure the world of the sickness of violence, malcontent, and discord~this is the Way of Harmony. There is evil and disorder in the world because people have forgotten that all things emanate from ONE source. Return to that source and leave behind all self~centered thoughts, petty desires and anger. Those who are possessed by nothing possess everything.....

* wow!!!!
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    (No fools for today)

11.PRACTICE OF THE ART OF PEACE is an act of faith, a belief of ultimate power of nonviolence. It is faith in the power of purification and the faith of the power of life itself. It is not atype of riged discipline or empty ascetiscism. It is a path that follows natural principles, principles that must be applied to daily living. THE ART OF PEACE should be practiced from the time you rise to greet the morning to the time you retire at night...
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    Moral excellence comes about as a result of habit. We become just by doing just acts, temperate by doing temperate acts, brave by doing brave acts. ~ Aristotle

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Xactly what I needed, book, how ya doing? Thank you so much for allways welcoming me in your heart....humble respect from my hearth to yours....peace...
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    melodious wrote:
    Xactly what I needed, book, how ya doing? Thank you so much for allways welcoming me in your heart....humble respect from my hearth to yours....peace...

Hey mel...I'm just sitting back listening to the Strokes tonight. How have you been, you twinkling little star(that always seem to pop into my mind about you...just out there shining, peaceful and lots of twinkle) :):p

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Been working alot and gratefully so...

Many changes have come to pass...all great and full of wonderment...

Mainly learning and self exploring. I never realized that this journey would bring me to so many blessings, opportunities and even a hell of alot of tears that needed shedding...

Thanks for asking...

I am so happy for this thread because I breathe in so much inspiration. BEST investment anyone can endeavor is that of one's own Heart....

love to you....

Thank you to that part of God (your terms) that provides technological advancement and for this generous means to meet and interact with so many wonderful people...

You are always a great comfort in my experience...give my best to the bong...I think I may not need mine anymore...time tells though..I am going into day 3....
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    Every two years the American politics industry fills the airwaves with the most virulent, scurrilous, wall-to-wall character assassination of nearly every political practitioner in the country - and then declares itself puzzled that America has lost trust in its politicians. ~Charles Krauthammer
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    Very good point, the Chop It Down......

in my mind i am thinking BRAVO!!!!!!
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    To enjoy this moment, enjoy the challenge of this
    moment. It is an adventure. It is an opportunity
    to discover the good regardless of what
    appearances might be.

- John Morton
    Spiritual Director
    Institute for Individual and World Peace®

(From: "Live Seminar With John Morton",
    June 22, 2004 at the MSIA website
    http://www.msia.org/live/archives.php)
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Everybody relax, I'm here. - Jack Burton
  • Options
    Everybody relax, I'm here. - Jack Burton
    Is this yet another manifestation of God? ;)

"It's the early bird that catches the worm" unknown
    ***or was it the guy who said this:

" Early to bed and early to rise, makes a person, healthy, wealthy, and wise."

Or

"An apple a day, keeps the doctor away..."
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    12.PRACTICE THE ART OF PEACE enables you to rise above praise or blame, and it frees you from attachment to this or that...

power to the peaceful
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    The excess of liberty, whether in States or individuals, seems only to pass into excess of slavery. And so tyranny naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme form of liberty.

Plato
    The Republlic
  • Options
    "Within freedom lies responsibility" a friend of mine, named J'anne....;)
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    13. (a favorite number)
    INNER PRINCIPLES give coherence to things; THE ART OF PEACE is a method of uncovering those principles...
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    Freedom is not merely the opportunity to do as one pleases; neither is it merely the opportunity to choose between set alternatives. Freedom is, first of all, the chance to formulate the available choices, to argue over them -- and then, the opportunity to choose.

~c.wright mills
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7