Options

why do you believe in God or...

Comments

• Options
    you have also been saying that a desire to survive is the same as a fear of death. which makes no sense.
    yep.... it's what i've been saying. instinctively, we fear death.
    if a hurrican came by, id' stay home and fuck and eat steak.or go somewhere else to ensure that i could fuck and eat steak.
    ok.... see. now we're getting somewhere.
    if someone chopped my head off, it would be just like any other day only the bad parts of the day were a bit worse and a lot more final. so it goes. ladi-freaking-da.
    you're full of it dude.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    810wmb wrote:
    no, dude....

thread is "do you believe.."

i do....

i could spend weeks stating why, and give my opposing view to a ton of threads here, i'm tired though
    i didn't see the corrolations between "you're totally right soul" and "i believe in jesus and god." so, go figure. or not... whatever.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    oh my god..... don't even try dude. it's like you think you got me cornered here..... i don't even know if you're the cutest, or the most annoying.

true. a desire to live is not the same as a fear of dying. but that doesn't negate anything about your survival instincts.

what have survival instincts got to do with it? we were talking about whether or not everyone fears death. having an instinct to survive is not the same as being afraid to die.

don't even try eh? sounds like your mantra... becos you never even true to rebut my points. you simply say i'm wrong and i misunderstood you without saying how or why. i'd be shocked to find you had the intellectual power to even make a sensible response to my scenario. but i know you cannot do it. becos you ARE cornered. how is a desire to live/survival instinct/whatever you wanna call it incontrovertible proof that everyone is afraid to die?
  • Options
    810wmb810wmb Posts: 849
    i didn't see the corrolations between "you're totally right soul" and "i believe in jesus and god." so, go figure. or not... whatever.

it was "keep 'em straight mr. soul"

a kind word to my sparring partner...then, stated my beliefs

it's ok man, take a deep breath....
    i'm the meat, yer not...signed Capt Asshat
  • Options

ok.... see. now we're getting somewhere. you're full of it dude.

instinctively, we strive to survive. that is not the same as fearing death. show me how it is.

you think i'm full of it... we've come full circle. you've got nothing besides crying about how i'm lying. your points cannot stand on their own or withstand logical scrutiny.
  • Options
    810wmb wrote:
    it was "keep 'em straight mr. soul"

a kind word to my sparring partner...then, stated my beliefs

it's ok man, take a deep breath....
    :p
  • Options
    what have survival instincts got to do with it?
    it's been my argument all along.
    we were talking about whether or not everyone fears death.
    so i said that instinctively, we do.
    having an instinct to survive is not the same as being afraid to die.
    in a way, it is. see, if you were to ask me i would say i'm not afraid of dying. but neither do i wanna die right now. so in a way, yeah, i'm scared of dying. and that's a completely and totally normal thing.
    don't even try eh? sounds like your mantra... becos you never even true to rebut my points. you simply say i'm wrong and i misunderstood you without saying how or why.
    when i say that we have a survival instinct you say, "just because i wanna live doesn't mean i fear death." i didn't even say that. follow?
    i'd be shocked to find you had the intellectual power to even make a sensible response to my scenario.
    "intellectual power"???? i don't even know what scenario you're talking about anymore.
    but i know you cannot do it.
    respond to your scenario with intellectual power?
    becos you ARE cornered.
    no i'm not.
    how is a desire to live/survival instinct/whatever you wanna call it incontrovertible proof that everyone is afraid to die?
    i don't know... it just is. ask someone if they're not afraid of dying and if they say no then ask them to jump off a bridge. if they say no, then what else am i going to think? yeah, there are instincts inside me that naturally put this fear inside in order to stay alive. it just works that way.

there's like two sides in our brains.... one part would put that kind of instinctive fear inside in order to survive. it's the same thing that probably every other animal on the planet has.

listen to the victims of 9-11... listen to the 9-1-1 calls who are calling because someone is trying to kill them.... listen to the people who cry for help when they are drowning.... listen to the people who are being held hostage at gunpoint..... look at the people who have cancer.... my uncle who died recently last christmas from prostate cancer didn't wanna die... and he was pretty bummed out about dying. their fears and reactions are traits of their survival mode. it's completely natural.

but what separates us from animals is the other side of our brain that rationalizes death as something that we really shouldn't fear, since death is a natural thing. it's the part of your brain working right now.
  • Options
    instinctively, we strive to survive. that is not the same as fearing death. show me how it is.

you think i'm full of it... we've come full circle. you've got nothing besides crying about how i'm lying. your points cannot stand on their own or withstand logical scrutiny.
    i don't care if you're not afraid of dying. i don't think i am either. i got no problem with your arguments either..... except that you kinda sound like an absolutist.

i was only trying to make a point. cause common sense tells me that you'd be trying to stay alive. the way you made it sound it's as if dying is just a stroll in the park. so i called that bullshit.... dying is a little more epic than that.
  • Options
    see, if you were to ask me [if i were afraid to die] i would say i'm not afraid of dying. but neither do i wanna die right now. so in a way, yeah, i'm scared of dying.

that makes no sense. i don't want a cookie right NOW. does that mean i'll never want a cookie again or that i'm afraid to eat cookies?
    when i say that we have a survival instinct you say, "just because i wanna live doesn't mean i fear death." i didn't even say that.

semantics. it amounts to the same thing. i don't care what you call it... instinct for survival, desire to live. neither one is indicative of a fear of death, only a thirst for life.
    "intellectual power"???? i don't even know what scenario you're talking about anymore.

my scenario about a person on the job. does wanting a promotion or the further satisfaction in your job mean you are afraid of not having a job? ambition can exist separate from fear. but don't worry about it. now i have no question, you DO lack the intellectual power to show me how that scenario is different. you demonstrated that lack here:
    i don't know... it [survival instinct] just is [incontrovertible proof that everyone is afraid of dying].

yup, about what i suspected. that's got to be the most stunning display of rational argument i've ever read here. i'm humbled, truly, by your incedible powers of reasoning. who can argue with that kind of logic? your points are irrefutable. it was so simple the whole time! it just is!

wait... i can do this... everyone is NOT afraid of dying. how do i know? it just is!

believe me now?
    ask someone if they're not afraid of dying and if they say no then ask them to jump off a bridge. if they say no, then what else am i going to think?

maybe that they would like to keep living more than than they would like to die. i like pearl jam better than nirvana... does that mean i hate or fear nirvana? of course not, a preference for one option over another does not indicate a distaste for the other option.
  • Options
    i don't care if you're not afraid of dying. i don't think i am either. i got no problem with your arguments either..... except that you kinda sound like an absolutist.

i was only trying to make a point. cause common sense tells me that you'd be trying to stay alive. the way you made it sound it's as if dying is just a stroll in the park. so i called that bullshit.... dying is a little more epic than that.

nope. just more final. dying is just another event in life. similar to marriage, having kids, a crippling accident, or whatever else. it's just less reversible. it is just a stroll in the park to me. just another possible event in the course of my life. the only difference is it is inevitably the last one. i don't want to get married right now either. does that mean i'm afraid of marriage? i'd rather not have kids right now. does that mean i'm afraid of kids and never want to have them?

absolutist in what sense?
  • Options
    that makes no sense. i don't want a cookie right NOW. does that mean i'll never want a cookie again or that i'm afraid to eat cookies?
    is dying as meaningless as a cookie? cause if you're going to compare it to a cookie then yeah dying wouldn't be such a big deal.
    semantics. it amounts to the same thing. i don't care what you call it... instinct for survival, desire to live. neither one is indicative of a fear of death, only a thirst for life.
    since we're talking about semantics here, there are different ways to read into fear. like the fear in God, it's much different to your fear in bugs. our fear of death has it's own meaning.

i guess you're looking at fear in a different way as opposed to what i'm reading into it. i'm looking at it in a natural way. why's that hard to accept, or how does that make my argument a logical fallacy?
    my scenario about a person on the job. does wanting a promotion or the further satisfaction in your job mean you are afraid of not having a job? ambition can exist separate from fear. but don't worry about it.
    it's kinda like the cookie argument... job does not equate to death. but it's hard to explain that to someone who considers a playground equal to dying. not that i'd get the creeps when i die... but i revere death much more than you do.
    now i have no question, you DO lack the intellectual power to show me how that scenario is different. you demonstrated that lack here:
    you silly :p ..... maybe i should provide references everytime i say something. why we have natural functions in our brains that make us to react in ways towards dying the way we do are beyond me. that's like asking me what our purpose on earth is. thus, it just is. just like nature/god decided the grass to be the color green and the sky blue. it just is.
    yup, about what i suspected. that's got to be the most stunning display of rational argument i've ever read here. i'm humbled, truly, by your incedible powers of reasoning. who can argue with that kind of logic? your points are irrefutable. it was so simple the whole time! it just is!
    so then we don't have a survival instinct?
    wait... i can do this... everyone is NOT afraid of dying. how do i know? it just is!
    not unless we had some kind of instinct of where our objective was to die then i'd believe you.... otherwise it's not.
    believe me now?
    no sorry i'm not
    maybe that they would like to keep living more than than they would like to die. i like pearl jam better than nirvana... does that mean i hate or fear nirvana? of course not, a preference for one option over another does not indicate a distaste for the other option.
    well, some people are suicidal. i know that. but get a normal person... ok... here's this example. if you had to choose between..... i don't know...... getting a finger chopped off... or getting your head chopped off which one would you choose?

pearl jam and nirvana is a very mediocre way of looking at it.
  • Options
    nope. just more final. dying is just another event in life. similar to marriage, having kids, a crippling accident, or whatever else. it's just less reversible. it is just a stroll in the park to me. just another possible event in the course of my life. the only difference is it is inevitably the last one. i don't want to get married right now either. does that mean i'm afraid of marriage? i'd rather not have kids right now. does that mean i'm afraid of kids and never want to have them?
    see... i understand this. it's the way i look at dying. although, it's not a stroll in the park... i revere it... and i fear it... not in a creepy, spooky or eerie way. fear in a different sense. but while i'm alive i'd like to live as long as i can and i'd avoid every opportunity that brings me closer to dying.... because it's part of being human. you can't agree with that?
    absolutist in what sense?
    nevermind... i meant to use something else.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

not true.....maybe not too thrilled at the pain that goes along with dying...but actually being dead....your dead....done...finished...cease to exist...why fear nothing???
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    not true.....maybe not too thrilled at the pain that goes along with dying...but actually being dead....your dead....done...finished...cease to exist...why fear nothing???
    i'm speaking about while you're still alive.

and actually at the moment when we die our brains release chemicals that give a very pleasant feeling. so there's really no pain in dying.
  • Options
    see... i understand this. it's the way i look at dying. although, it's not a stroll in the park... i revere it... and i fear it... not in a creepy, spooky or eerie way. fear in a different sense. but while i'm alive i'd like to live as long as i can and i'd avoid every opportunity that brings me closer to dying.... because it's part of being human. you can't agree with that?

nevermind... i meant to use something else.

you only fear death cause you've bought into the fable...
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    you only fear death cause you've bought into the fable...
    what fable?

r u going to start this argument with me too?? do you also lack survival instincts?
  • Options
    i'm speaking about while you're still alive.

and actually at the moment when we die our brains release chemicals that give a very pleasant feeling. so there's really no pain in dying.
    hear what your saying.........I have no fear of death..none. Many of my friends feel the same way..you said it was instinctive..and I disagree
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    ok.... convince me then

convince me that dying isn't something to fear.

why do we take care of our health? why do we have government? why do we have a survival instinct? why do we get scared when we get attacked by a dog, a criminal, or a hurricane? why do we get an adrenaline rush when we're in a car accident or in some form of catastrophe?

explain that, cause i just don't get it.

and frankly, this sounds like a lot of bullshit to me.
    For me, it's more of a fear of pain than a fear of death. No, of course I don't want to be gnawed to death by a dog, that would hurt like hell.

I have been in several situations where I wished for death, because the pain was so intense I didn't want to tolerate it anymore.

It's almost certain that I'm going to die relatively soon, and I'm not afraid, although I'm very much afraid of what I'm going to have to go through before I get there.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    For me, it's more of a fear of pain than a fear of death. No, of course I don't want to be gnawed to death by a dog, that would hurt like hell.

I have been in several situations where I wished for death, because the pain was so intense I didn't want to tolerate it anymore.

It's almost certain that I'm going to die relatively soon, and I'm not afraid, although I'm very much afraid of what I'm going to have to go through before I get there.
    see... i can understand this. this is very different.

i guess there's a thin line between an emotional fear and an instinctive fear. i don't have an emotional fear.... yea, i'll get sad if i'm about to die but only cause i wouldn't like to see my relatives suffer. i wouldn't get creeped out at dying. but my instinctive fear of dying is what keeps me safe and away from harm.
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    hear what your saying.........I have no fear of death..none. Many of my friends feel the same way..you said it was instinctive..and I disagree
    like i mentioned to hippiemom... in terms of the emotional fear i have none. just like you. but our instinctive fear is what makes us look both ways before crossing the street, having good eating habits and taking a trip to the doctor once a year.
  • Options
    what fable?

r u going to start this argument with me too?? do you also lack survival instincts?
    what do you fear exactly???

I very much believe in survival instict....that's different than fearing death....fear is instilled...learned.....

fable...the whole judgement, heaven hell fable...or guess maybe mythology is better term...you choose.
  • Options
    like i mentioned to hippiemom... in terms of the emotional fear i have none. just like you. but our instinctive fear is what makes us look both ways before crossing the street, having good eating habits and taking a trip to the doctor once a year.
    exactly....I agree 100% and since I haven't experienced being dead...I have no reason to fear it.......I've learned going to the dr can be painful...I've seen a person that was run over by a bus and lay dead on the street...so I know to fear.....now death.....I've not experienced it..and what "some" folks tell me about death is absulutely rubbish...as they don't know...so I don't fear it...now I want to go on living as long as possible...cause I'll get to the other state eventually...but no fear.
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    what do you fear exactly???
    i dont know... dying???
    I very much believe in survival instict....that's different than fearing death....fear is instilled...learned.....
    well, again... like i said. not fear as in getting the creeps but fear as in a form of natural instincts in order to survive. it's inside us all... no matter how anyone puts it. like the victims of 9/11 you think they were happy to be there? or like the many 9-1-1 calls that have been made many of which people cried to on the phone saying, "i don't wanna die."

or even where i used to work... poor people were so suicidal but in some weird way they didn't wanna die. their logic was "i don't wanna die but the best way is get rid of my life." or others were, "i wanna die but i don't wanna kill myself." either way... death is something that we naturally avoid.
    fable...the whole judgement, heaven hell fable...or guess maybe mythology is better term...you choose.
    my personal beliefs are out of the question.... even though this is a thread about believing in God or not, it's got nothing to do with it.

cause personally my faith is would actually rid me of my fear in death... in fact, the only reason why i don't fear death is because of my faith.
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    exactly....I agree 100% and since I haven't experienced being dead...I have no reason to fear it.......I've learned going to the dr can be painful...I've seen a person that was run over by a bus and lay dead on the street...so I know to fear.....now death.....I've not experienced it..and what "some" folks tell me about death is absulutely rubbish...as they don't know...so I don't fear it...now I want to go on living as long as possible...cause I'll get to the other state eventually...but no fear.
    yeah, totally... i don't fear it either. and i know, i know, i'm kinda not making any sense by saying, "i fear death but i don't fear it". but i have a point. i'm saying that instinctively we have a survival mode that i'd attribute it to a natural fear... but emotionally death is something that just comes about every single day and someday it will be my turn. in that sense, i don't fear it.

i'm glad i'm finally agreeing with someone here. it feels good in some weird way.
  • Options
    baraka wrote:
    The two times I came close to death (at least in my eyes), I have to admit, I was quite scared. Scared about the possible traumatic injuries, feared I would never see my loved ones again, etc. So many things ran through my mind in a short time period, probably seconds. That saying, 'your life flashing before your eyes' was quite accurate for me. I don't sit around fearing death at all, I don't think about it actually, although I think I probably take the appropriate subliminal precautions to prevent it. But when I was faced with it unexpected, I was pretty frightened. I think it is an instinctual fear, perhaps.
    Nice post, baraka, very honest.

I guess I should clear up what I mean by "fear of death." When I was violently attacked, I was very much afraid at first, but I was more afraid of what he might do to me and how much it would hurt than I was of dying. As it went on I got more and more scared, including being afraid of never seeing my friends and family again. Eventually I reached a point where I was thinking "Oh please just let me die now, I can't take this anymore." When I went unconscious, I thought I was dying and I was glad. So there was a fear of dying there for a little while, but that was overcome by a fear of living when life got bad enough.

When I got cancer I wasn't really afraid of dying, and some of my treatments have made me wish I'd die real soon. My main motivator to stay alive at this point is my kids ... my wish to see them, and knowing how upset they will be when I'm gone. If I didn't have kids, I probably would have done myself in by now. I can't really do anything other than lie in bed and feel like shit, there's not much of a point to this life.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    i dont know... dying???

well, again... like i said. not fear as in getting the creeps but fear as in a form of natural instincts in order to survive. it's inside us all... no matter how anyone puts it. like the victims of 9/11 you think they were happy to be there? or like the many 9-1-1 calls that have been made many of which people cried to on the phone saying, "i don't wanna die."

or even where i used to work... poor people were so suicidal but in some weird way they didn't wanna die. their logic was "i don't wanna die but the best way is get rid of my life." or others were, "i wanna die but i don't wanna kill myself." either way... death is something that we naturally avoid.

my personal beliefs are out of the question.... even though this is a thread about believing in God or not, it's got nothing to do with it.

cause personally my faith is would actually rid me of my fear in death... in fact, the only reason why i don't fear death is because of my faith.

what exactly is it that makes you afraid of death......as Hippiemom pointed out....the pain...that leads up to it..yes..but actually dying...don't get it...its not instinctive...and yes I feel that one's believing in christianity contributes to one's fear in death...that's what christianity holds over your head to keep you in line.
    I do applaud you coming on this board and discussing your thoughts and feelings...your expanding your input..stepping out of your comfort zone....not many can do that.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Nice post, baraka, very honest.

I guess I should clear up what I mean by "fear of death." When I was violently attacked, I was very much afraid at first, but I was more afraid of what he might do to me and how much it would hurt than I was of dying. As it went on I got more and more scared, including being afraid of never seeing my friends and family again. Eventually I reached a point where I was thinking "Oh please just let me die now, I can't take this anymore." When I went unconscious, I thought I was dying and I was glad. So there was a fear of dying there for a little while, but that was overcome by a fear of living when life got bad enough.

When I got cancer I wasn't really afraid of dying, and some of my treatments have made me wish I'd die real soon. My main motivator to stay alive at this point is my kids ... my wish to see them, and knowing how upset they will be when I'm gone. If I didn't have kids, I probably would have done myself in by now. I can't really do anything other than lie in bed and feel like shit, there's not much of a point to this life.

I'm sending lots of love your way......do you feel it???
  • Options
    ThecureThecure Posts: 814
    i for one fear death not in the sense of i am going to hell or heaven but that it means that i can't do what i did or want to do. not fearing death either means you have done everything that you wanted to do and won't miss it (inwhich case congrats) or you can;'t think of anything that you want to do (inwhich case i am sorry)

i understand that fearing death may seem irrrational but so what, people are irrational. sure death is "nothing" but it does end something.
    People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    what exactly is it that makes you afraid of death......as Hippiemom pointed out....the pain...that leads up to it..yes..but actually dying...don't get it...its not instinctive...
    not fear is in getting the creeps but fear as an instinct to survive. bullets are being fired, you're going to duck down. that's an instinct.
    and yes I feel that one's believing in christianity contributes to one's fear in death...that's what christianity holds over your head to keep you in line.
    well, that's just an opinion really. but you could have a christian who is about to die cry, "i don't wanna die" and you could also have an atheist who is about to die cry, "i don't wanna die". it's really irrelevant.
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    I'm sending lots of love your way......do you feel it???
    I do :)