Options

why do you believe in God or...

Comments

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Cute story fresh from my son's bedroom.
    My husband was in there telling him stories. He tells him the story of Noah's Ark. My son asks whether it's a true story. My husband replies that it's in the Bible, some people believe it's true, some people don't. My son says: "so I guess the only one who knows for sure would be God". My hubby: "I suppose you are right". My son: "But God is dead, so we'll never know..."
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    no, that's not right and i don't agree with you. my focus is to enjoy life, not stay alive just for the sake of living. there are a lot of things i'd rather die than do... i'd rather die than live with alzheimer's (i always said i'd kill myself if i get this and start to notice the symptoms), be trapped in a vegatative state, be tortured mercilessly, get locked up in prison to lick jelly out of thunderdick's asshole every day for the rest of my life, be stuck in an elevator with onelongsong, ahnimus, and angelica... etc. you dig?
    yeah, i dig...... buuuuuuttt... staying alive is still the primary focus, right? or enjoying life... whatever, same difference.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    Bu2 wrote:
    then why don't we all start thinking about what we're doing here on earth, right now, and stop thinking about what will come when we are no longer here?

NONE OF US KNOWS!! Don't you understand? None of us knows.

So live now, think now, and when your number is up, it's up. Hopefully you've planned for that moment. Until then, you've got some time to live, think, and plan. And enjoy the lovely stuff that happens in between.

Peace,
    Bu
    no it's not.
  • Options
    Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    no it's not.

No, what's not?
    Feels Good Inc.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    yeah, i dig...... buuuuuuttt... staying alive is still the primary focus, right? or enjoying life... whatever, same difference.

not the same difference at all. you gave 2 contentions, i flat out disagree with both.

staying alive is not the primary focus. like i said, if i got alzheimer's and could no longer enjoy my life, i would not want it. if staying alive were the primary focus, i would stay alive despite alzheimer's. but it isn't. enjoying the various things of life i like is the focus. if i cannot have them, then i don't care to be alive. thus, being alive is not the focus. it's a necessary condition for the other things, but it is not sufficient. i have to be alive to enjoy those things, but just being alive is not enough to sustain me. i'm alive in a vegetative state, but that's not enough for me so i'd rather be dead becos i cannot enjoy the "focus" you speak so much of: having fun and enjoying my life. i enjoy life becos it allows me to do fun things like fuck, not becos being alive is so sweet.
  • Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    The two times I came close to death (at least in my eyes), I have to admit, I was quite scared. Scared about the possible traumatic injuries, feared I would never see my loved ones again, etc. So many things ran through my mind in a short time period, probably seconds. That saying, 'your life flashing before your eyes' was quite accurate for me. I don't sit around fearing death at all, I don't think about it actually, although I think I probably take the appropriate subliminal precautions to prevent it. But when I was faced with it unexpected, I was pretty frightened. I think it is an instinctual fear, perhaps.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    Lots of interesting responses. What I would be curious to know is "how has your choice of belief helped your life or brought you happiness"?
    "When you're climbing to the top, you'd better know the way back down" MSB
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Lots of interesting responses. What I would be curious to know is "how has your choice of belief helped your life or brought you happiness"?

I don't let shit bother me the way others do.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    you do know i was kidding right?

did you add a big big smilie face to denote humour? cause if you didnt i'll take what you've said as serious.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    ok.... convince me then

convince me that dying isn't something to fear..
    why would anyone want to convince you. they are not you and you are not them. it's different for everyone. i've attended patients who are dying and there are some who are very much at peace and clearly not afraid to die.
    why do we take care of our health? why do we have government? why do we have a survival instinct? why do we get scared when we get attacked by a dog, a criminal, or a hurricane? why do we get an adrenaline rush when we're in a car accident or in some form of catastrophe?

explain that, cause i just don't get it.

and frankly, this sounds like a lot of bullshit to me.

we take care of our health, have a survival instinct and all those things you have mentioned because we want to live as long as possible. wanting to live as long as possible does not = the same as being scared to die. has absolutely nothing at all to do with fearing or not fearing death.
  • Options
    Bu2 wrote:
    No, what's not?
    no, it's not.... comprende?
  • Options
    did you add a big big smilie face to denote humour? cause if you didnt i'll take what you've said as serious.
    oh sorry.... :D
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I'd be interested to know why you quoted your own question.

Lol.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    I'd be interested to know why you quoted your own question.

Lol.

yeah cause only weirdos do that right gue? ;):D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    not the same difference at all. you gave 2 contentions, i flat out disagree with both.

staying alive is not the primary focus. like i said, if i got alzheimer's and could no longer enjoy my life, i would not want it. if staying alive were the primary focus, i would stay alive despite alzheimer's. but it isn't. enjoying the various things of life i like is the focus. if i cannot have them, then i don't care to be alive. thus, being alive is not the focus. it's a necessary condition for the other things, but it is not sufficient. i have to be alive to enjoy those things, but just being alive is not enough to sustain me. i'm alive in a vegetative state, but that's not enough for me so i'd rather be dead becos i cannot enjoy the "focus" you speak so much of: having fun and enjoying my life. i enjoy life becos it allows me to do fun things like fuck, not becos being alive is so sweet.
    if you get seriously ill, like getting alzheimers and you want to end your life, is one thing. i know that. i know there's people who die peaceful deaths, i know there's people who wanna die.... so let's make it easier for both of us. don't mention that again.... ever. cause then we'd be going in circles.

bottom line is, in order for you to enjoy getting laid you gotta be alive... so if you wanna live the most of your life by getting laid then you'll try you're best to stay alive. yes, of course, not unless you get alzheimers... then by that point i'm guessing you wouldn't be able to fuck. so too bad for you and your loved one's, your hoes included, you'd probably be going away soon after.

apart from that... still you'll go home, take a nice long nap (or maybe not), wake up and eat breakfast (maybe not), wash up (maybe not), get in your car, put your seatbelt on and drive safely and go about the rest of the day trying to be as safe as possible and as happy as possible and maybe even get laid as many times as possible. that's a universal fact. it's part of your instinct to survive. that's been my only contention all along.
  • Options
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    we take care of our health, have a survival instinct and all those things you have mentioned because we want to live as long as possible. wanting to live as long as possible does not = the same as being scared to die. has absolutely nothing at all to do with fearing or not fearing death.
    why would you want to live as long as possible if you're going to die anyway? :rolleyes:
  • Options

apart from that... still you'll go home, take a nice long nap (or maybe not), wake up and eat breakfast (maybe not), wash up (maybe not), get in your car, put your seatbelt on and drive safely and go about the rest of the day trying to be as safe as possible and as happy as possible and maybe even get laid as many times as possible. that's a universal fact. it's part of your instinct to survive. that's been my only contention all along.

really? surely you dont think everyone conducts their lives with such meticulous thought. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    really? surely you dont think everyone conducts their lives with such meticulous thought. :)
    or maybe not... hell, maybe people just allow things to come as they may.... but nobody surely wishes or hopes for a tragedy of some kind.

on another thought... why do people, for the most part, get sad when people die? i mean, it's a part of life isn't it? and it's really not that big of a deal, right? people die everyday... piece of cake.
  • Options
    yeah cause only weirdos do that right gue? ;):D:p

I don't quote myself. I cut to the chase and downright talk...
    to myself.

And deadnothingbetter, no, that hasn't been your contention all along. Your contention is that to fear death is "logical." It isn't part of logic, it isn't even fear. The way you describe "death" is in a sort of loathesome, painful sadism. Death is part of life and is as beautiful as you want to make it.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • Options
    or maybe not... hell, maybe people just allow things to come as they may.... but nobody surely wishes or hopes for a tragedy of some kind.

on another thought... why do people, for the most part, get sad when people die? i mean, it's a part of life isn't it? and it's really not that big of a deal, right? people die everyday... piece of cake.

oh i dont wish for tragedy but the only reason i wear a seaatbelt is cause it's the law. and even then there are times when i try to get away with it.

so you dont ever get sad(even a little bit) when people leave your life?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    oops double post. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    so you dont ever get sad(even a little bit) when people leave your life?
    no... for what? it's a part of life. right?
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    I don't quote myself. I cut to the chase and downright talk...
    to myself.

And deadnothingbetter, no, that hasn't been your contention all along. Your contention is that to fear death is "logical." It isn't part of logic, it isn't even fear. The way you describe "death" is in a sort of loathesome, painful sadism. Death is part of life and is as beautiful as you want to make it.
    actually gue.... yes that has been my contention all along. i've never argued that death should and is always and forever will be feared. if you'd like i can look back and, ironically, quote myself. i even mentioned about my signature that i used to have awhile back. it said, "death is a part of life, life is a puzzle, you can't explain life till the last piece is put together." my contention has been that being afraid of death comes as a natural form... it's what we'd likely know as a survival instinct.

sure, i'm not using any kind of scientific approach here, but i'm using logic and common sense. every person naturally fears death.... but it's like our brain has two sides. one side is what makes us fear things that would fatally harm us and the other side is what tells, "what's the big deal? you're gonna die anyway." i guess it's nature's way of balancing itself.
  • Options
    no... for what? it's a part of life. right?

i didnt mean if they die. i meant ever. if someone goes away or whatever. something like that.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i didnt mean if they die. i meant ever. if someone goes away or whatever. something like that.
    well, even if they leave it's still kinda a part of life.
  • Options
    well, even if they leave it's still kinda a part of life.

that wasnt my question. naturally people coming and going is a part of life and so is feeling a tad sad cause youre gonna miss them.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    actually gue.... yes that has been my contention all along. i've never argued that death should and is always and forever will be feared. if you'd like i can look back and, ironically, quote myself. i even mentioned about my signature that i used to have awhile back. it said, "death is a part of life, life is a puzzle, you can't explain life till the last piece is put together." my contention has been that being afraid of death comes as a natural form... it's what we'd likely know as a survival instinct.

sure, i'm not using any kind of scientific approach here, but i'm using logic and common sense. every person naturally fears death.... but it's like our brain has two sides. one side is what makes us fear things that would fatally harm us and the other side is what tells, "what's the big deal? you're gonna die anyway." i guess it's nature's way of balancing itself.
    You're not reading me.
    I think you're probably an escapist. Everything you wrote in the statement above does everything but address your own mortality. You don't know what you might be thinking or what might be happening when the grim reaper comes a calling, do you?
    I do.

• Options
    that wasnt my question. naturally people coming and going is a part of life and so is feeling a tad sad cause youre gonna miss them.
    why? that doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    why? that doesn't make sense.

It's hard to miss yourself after you've died.

LMAO

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    You're not reading me.
    I think you're probably an escapist. Everything you wrote in the statement above does everything but address your own mortality. You don't know what you might be thinking or what might be happening when the grim reaper comes a calling, do you?
    I do.
    are you saying that you know exactly what i'd be feeling when death comes a knockin'? you're making a good point, i'll admit. for some reason you always make wiser suggestions than most on these boards... so props to you.

but i think it's safer to say that what you say applies to everyone... meaning that no one knows exactly what we'd be feeling when death comes around. and i think it might vary... i have a personal belief that depending what kind of life you lead will affect the outcome of your feeling towards death. my grandparents died peaceful deaths. so i can buy it if people say that they don't fear death. i don't fear death. i don't think i do. but like you said, i don't know what would happen when it comes around.