Options

why do you believe in God or...

Comments

• Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    ok.... convince me then

convince me that dying isn't something to fear.
    How one feels about death is completely personal. There is no right or wrong way to feel about it. It's a topic for the great majority of people truly know nothing about.

The more scientific minded will dismiss peoples experiences who have flatlined and been brought back as it can not be tested or verified in anyway.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    I was in a car accident once. Just another day in the life.

Well, there was another time, but I don't remember it, or the next few years.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    convince me that dying is something to be afraid of. i would imagine people are afraid to die because they do believe in a god who is going to judge them on the life they've led. as an atheist i have no such primitive fear and therefore can accept death for what it is.
    it's very funny cause i would say that as a god fearing person i have no such primitive fear of dying since i know that at the end there is a God who's waiting for me.

but that's another thing.

i'm not talking about god... it has nothing to do with god. someone could not believe in god and be afraid of dying.... others could believe in god and still be afraid of dying. so that settles that... let's put god aside.

i could convince you that fear of death is more logical than not having any fear in death. i mean..... lemme give you this big huge two words again..... COME ON!

it's in the movies, in the newspapers, in the television, in stories, in politics... yes, death is a part of life.... and even when i first came on these boards i had a phrase i made up myself that said, "death is a part of life, life is a puzzle... you can't explain life until the last piece is put together." so i understand that. i understand that death is a part of life. i understand that at the end of the road, when someone is old of age, you can die a peaceful and longing death. i'm sure there's people out there that wanna die right now. for reasons that make more sense to them.... but only to them.

naturally, as humans, death is something that we avoid. the fact that we have a home, medicine, and civilization reflect our fear in dying.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I was in a car accident once. Just another day in the life.

Well, there was another time, but I don't remember it, or the next few years.
    well, actually so was i.... i felt the same way too. i'll admit. but still i try my best to drive safely... don't you?
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    The more scientific minded will dismiss peoples experiences who have flatlined and been brought back as it can not be tested or verified in anyway.
    i don't know what you mean by this
  • Options
    convince me that dying is something to be afraid of. i would imagine people are afraid to die because they do believe in a god who is going to judge them on the life they've led. as an atheist i have no such primitive fear and therefore can accept death for what it is.
    oh and by the way... my argument isn't that death is something to be afraid of..... i'm saying that fearing death is something very natural. i personally would like to live a long and healthy and prosperous life.... and i would probably get scared if a lion is about to chew me up.

see, i've never seen anybody who had a near death experience and say, "oh, that was the greatest and loveliest experience i've ever had." all the people who have had near death experiences always express themselves the same way and say, "it was the scariest moment i've ever experienced." except for a few who were terminally ill... like my grandparents with cancer. they always said, "i don't fear death." and i believed them.... also soldiers, american soldiers, or any kind of soldier.... or heck, even suicidie bombers aren't scared dying. so i can accept that.

i'm only saying that our fear in death is very natural and there's nothing wrong with it. that's all....
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    well, actually so was i.... i felt the same way too. i'll admit. but still i try my best to drive safely... don't you?

I don't drive, but when I do, I try to drive safely. It's mainly because I don't want to kill someone else though. I've driven pretty insanely in the past.

I get what you are saying here though. Everyone instinctively fears death, but intellectually, there is nothing really to fear.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    i think you're the one with the logical fallacy dude. reread your post... it's very contradictory.

tell me that your heart won't start pumping fast if someone puts a gun to your head. come on dude.. you're so full of it.
    I have to say that there is a sort of sadistic quality in the way you think this through. It's almost as if you're the member of executioners squad taking bets on who can verbally torture the victim the most before blowing his head off.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    since when does self-preservation mean you fear death? :confused:
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    and i would probably get scared if a lion is about to chew me up.
    So would I but that's nothing to do with fear of death, that's fear of an unpleasant, painful death, which isn't what we're discussing here. we're discussing fear of the unknown. I don't believe in God and I don't fear death. If I died peacefully in my sleep tonight, I wouldn't be afraid, so long as I was prepared and had tied up all my loose ends.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i think you're the one with the logical fallacy dude. reread your post... it's very contradictory.

tell me that your heart won't start pumping fast if someone puts a gun to your head. come on dude.. you're so full of it.

becos i fear pain. not death. pain. i imagine getting shot hurts.

even so, there is no contradiction. arguing one positive does not give you a negative result. you cannot say that becos i would like to keep living it means i must be afraid of dying.
  • Options
    ok.... convince me then

convince me that dying isn't something to fear.

why do we take care of our health? why do we have government? why do we have a survival instinct? why do we get scared when we get attacked by a dog, a criminal, or a hurricane? why do we get an adrenaline rush when we're in a car accident or in some form of catastrophe?

explain that, cause i just don't get it.

and frankly, this sounds like a lot of bullshit to me.

becos when i'm dead i can't have sex again or eat a nice steak dinner again. that's a bummer. i'd rather have sex than die. but that doesn't mean i'm afraid of dying. just that there are other things i'd rather be doing.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    it's very funny cause i would say that as a god fearing person i have no such primitive fear of dying since i know that at the end there is a God who's waiting for me.

but that's another thing.

i'm not talking about god... it has nothing to do with god. someone could not believe in god and be afraid of dying.... others could believe in god and still be afraid of dying. so that settles that... let's put god aside.

i could convince you that fear of death is more logical than not having any fear in death. i mean..... lemme give you this big huge two words again..... COME ON!

it's in the movies, in the newspapers, in the television, in stories, in politics... yes, death is a part of life.... and even when i first came on these boards i had a phrase i made up myself that said, "death is a part of life, life is a puzzle... you can't explain life until the last piece is put together." so i understand that. i understand that death is a part of life. i understand that at the end of the road, when someone is old of age, you can die a peaceful and longing death. i'm sure there's people out there that wanna die right now. for reasons that make more sense to them.... but only to them.

naturally, as humans, death is something that we avoid. the fact that we have a home, medicine, and civilization reflect our fear in dying.

well you know i guess were gonna have to agree to disagree. because i know myself. im not saying i would welcome death with open arms but i know its a part of life and thus nothing to be feared. i have no reason to fear death.

as for the belief on god negating a primitive fear of death. i was actually talking about the primitive fear of being judged by said god and being found wanting and therefore not enjoying the afterlife or even gaining access to it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I get what you are saying here though. Everyone instinctively fears death, but intellectually, there is nothing really to fear.
    ahhh, thanks ahnimus.... i'll just leave it from here cause this is really the point i'm trying to make.

but you said it best....
  • Options
    becos i fear pain. not death. pain. i imagine getting shot hurts.
    hahahahaha
  • Options

i'm only saying that our fear in death is very natural and there's nothing wrong with it. that's all....

no. what you were doing was basically saying people who dont fear death were bullshitting. you have no frame of reference to make such a judgement except generalisation.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    I have to say that there is a sort of sadistic quality in the way you think this through. It's almost as if you're the member of executioners squad taking bets on who can verbally torture the victim the most before blowing his head off.
    wow.... how'd you guess?
  • Options
    no. what you were doing was basically saying people who dont fear death were bullshitting. you have no frame of reference to make such a judgement except generalisation.
    no.... people on here were saying, "really, dying is a piece of cake." i was callling that bullshit.

but like i said, sure dying isn't something i fear, as in get the creeps or something... but essentially my primary instincts are to stay alive.
  • Options
    becos when i'm dead i can't have sex again or eat a nice steak dinner again. that's a bummer. i'd rather have sex than die. but that doesn't mean i'm afraid of dying. just that there are other things i'd rather be doing.
    i see what you're saying... but essentially and agree with me dude, cause i know you do... you're focus is to stay alive... and dying is the last thing you'd want to happen to you. is that right?
  • Options
    no.... people on here were saying, "really, dying is a piece of cake." i was callling that bullshit.

but like i said, sure dying isn't something i fear, as in get the creeps or something... but essentially my primary instincts are to stay alive.

but you were asking people to convince you death is nothing to fear. thats the issue im having with you. tis as if their opinion is wrong in your eyes.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i see what you're saying... but essentially and agree with me dude, cause i know you do... you're focus is to stay alive... and dying is the last thing you'd want to happen to you. is that right?

but dying is the last thing that will happen to you. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    but you were asking people to convince you death is nothing to fear. thats the issue im having with you. tis as if their opinion is wrong in your eyes.
    are you this really hot girl that never likes to lose an argument? ;) j/k

i don't have a problem with people's opinions about fear.... afterall, i can't feel what others feel, particularly about death and fear. if you'd ask me if i were scared of dying my first response would be no. but if you'd give me two pills that i had to choose from... one led to death and the other to life.... i'd probably choose the one that leads to life.

my point is, no in a way i don't fear death or what happens afterwards... but essentially my primary focus is to stay alive. so that's why i take care of my health, i watch both ways before crossing the street, lock my doors before i sleep and many other things i do to keep myself safe.
  • Options
    but dying is the last thing that will happen to you. :D
    no it's not.
  • Options
    no it's not.

for some it is.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    no it's not.

then why don't we all start thinking about what we're doing here on earth, right now, and stop thinking about what will come when we are no longer here?

NONE OF US KNOWS!! Don't you understand? None of us knows.

So live now, think now, and when your number is up, it's up. Hopefully you've planned for that moment. Until then, you've got some time to live, think, and plan. And enjoy the lovely stuff that happens in between.

Peace,
    Bu
    Feels Good Inc.
  • Options
    are you this really hot girl that never likes to lose an argument? ;) j/k

i don't have a problem with people's opinions about fear.... afterall, i can't feel what others feel, particularly about death and fear. if you'd ask me if i were scared of dying my first response would be no. but if you'd give me two pills that i had to choose from... one led to death and the other to life.... i'd probably choose the one that leads to life.

my point is, no in a way i don't fear death or what happens afterwards... but essentially my primary focus is to stay alive. so that's why i take care of my health, i watch both ways before crossing the street, lock my doors before i sleep and many other things i do to keep myself safe.

yes my primary focus is to stay alive also, as im sure everyone else's is too. but that has nothing to do with fearing or not fearing death.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

no, that's not right and i don't agree with you. my focus is to enjoy life, not stay alive just for the sake of living. there are a lot of things i'd rather die than do... i'd rather die than live with alzheimer's (i always said i'd kill myself if i get this and start to notice the symptoms), be trapped in a vegatative state, be tortured mercilessly, get locked up in prison to lick jelly out of thunderdick's asshole every day for the rest of my life, be stuck in an elevator with onelongsong, ahnimus, and angelica... etc. you dig?
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,954
    Why not?
  • Options
    for some it is.
    you do know i was kidding right?
  • Options
    yes my primary focus is to stay alive also, as im sure everyone else's is too. but that has nothing to do with fearing or not fearing death.
    in a way it is.... but fearing in a different sense of the word.