Options

why do you believe in God or...

Comments

• Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Danimal wrote:
    We'll see who you are praying to on your death bed...

And if you say you aren't going to praying to anyone when you are dying that means you are not scared and if you say you aren't scared then you are a fucking liar.

(I don't go to church by the way)
    well yeah that's all well and good if you know you are going to die. lot's of people don't. here one minute, gone the next.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    Danimal wrote:

And if you say you aren't going to praying to anyone when you are dying that means you are not scared and if you say you aren't scared then you are a fucking liar.

Thanks for being bold enough to write so much honesty in how you feel.

This thread (without knowing it would get here) is much like the "nice guys finish last" thread. Here I was, just answering the question as politely as I could and some others get all mad and ignorant. I didn't bash them for their non belief or the guy above me with the penis issue.........which sorry, dude, but if you're going to call your penis Jesus it had better be superhuman and rise from the dead...............
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Danimal wrote:

I had a moment a few years ago when I got so sick with something I actually thought I was going to die. My thoughts were very calm about it all. I was ready as I'll ever be. I just kind of shrugged to myself and said, 'guess this is it."
    I'm not a liar.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    writersu wrote:
    Thanks for being bold enough to write so much honesty in how you feel.

This thread (without knowing it would get here) is much like the "nice guys finish last" thread. Here I was, just answering the question as politely as I could and some others get all mad and ignorant. I didn't bash them for their non belief or the guy above me with the penis issue.........which sorry, dude, but if you're going to call your penis Jesus it had better be superhuman and rise from the dead...............
    Thanks for giving it praise when you can.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Thanks for giving it praise when you can.

yes,I always praise dead penis'. Just for the memories........

and the remote control is a HUGE phallic symbol, why????????

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    writersu wrote:
    yes,I always praise dead penis'. Just for the memories........

and the remote control is a HUGE phallic symbol, why????????

Hey, stick to the topic of Jesus. This is a civil message board.

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Hey, stick to the topic of Jesus. This is a civil message board.

touche'

• Options
    writersu wrote:
    touche'
    That tickles Jesus.

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    That tickles Jesus.

you have a sick sense of humor..............that I find hilarious.......

o0h, shit hell is waiting for me.............at least ozzy will be there......

• Options
    I believe in God, try to follow what Jesus taught (not very well most of the time) but am disillusioned with organised religion; I don't think it was ever supposed to be 'organised' or 'religious'. I have strong beliefs but get frustrated with some of the narrow-mindedness of my fellow believers.

Faith can stand alongside science and history, but it all depends on how you choose to read your religious text. If you read the Bible as if it's a science or history textbook, you're going to shoot yourself in the foot and tie yourself in knots because most of the writers never intended it to be read that way.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Danimal wrote:

And if you say you aren't going to be praying to anyone when you are dying then that means you are not scared and if you say you aren't scared then you are a fucking liar.

i'm a liar then. nothing about death scares me, except for the thought of dying of alzheimer's. what would i be praying for on my death bed anyway? more life?
  • Options
    what would i be praying for on my death bed anyway? more life?
    if you're about to be swallowed by an anaconda, i bet you would.

oh yeah, we also have seatbelts as evidence.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    I had a moment a few years ago when I got so sick with something I actually thought I was going to die. My thoughts were very calm about it all. I was ready as I'll ever be. I just kind of shrugged to myself and said, 'guess this is it."
    I'm not a liar.
    just curious.... what were you sick of?

(you don't have to answer that.)
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    i'm a liar then. nothing about death scares me, except for the thought of dying of alzheimer's. what would i be praying for on my death bed anyway? more life?

Stand up on a rollercoaster then....
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    Stand up on a rollercoaster then....

just becos im not afraid doesn't mean i'm in a hurry to get there. i'm not afraid of being molested by a catholic priest either, but it doesn't mean i go to church all the time just to prove it. though i am excited to try skydiving. my desire not to die has nothing to do with being afraid of dying, it has to do with there being several things i'd like to try before i go. once i've done everything i'm interested in trying, then maybe i'll stand up on a roller coaster.
  • Options
    if you're about to be swallowed by an anaconda, i bet you would.

oh yeah, we also have seatbelts as evidence.

i bet if i was being swallowed by an anaconda i would be trying to think of ways to kill the anaconda or get out, not praying for more life. if i was a goner i'm reasonably sure i'd be thinking "well, at least i picked a pretty interesting way to go... it'll make a helluva story for the loved ones i left behind!"

seatbelts?
  • Options
    ThecureThecure Posts: 814
    hippiemom wrote:
    Wow. There is absolutely no way I could ever believe in a supposedly divine being calling for the deaths of his own innocent creations for any reason. I'm not saying I'd dislike him, or turn against him ... but that there's no possible way I could ever believe that such a being even exists in the first place. That's something only humans could come up with, there's nothing remotely "divine" about it. It's disgusting.

to start you can never say that God/divine being called for the death of innocent beings. all you can say is that people have said that God called for death of innocent creatures.

we have to really remember that most of everything we have heard about God is told by people and most people have their god which accepts what they do.
    People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
  • Options
    just becos im not afraid doesn't mean i'm in a hurry to get there. i'm not afraid of being molested by a catholic priest either, but it doesn't mean i go to church all the time just to prove it. though i am excited to try skydiving. my desire not to die has nothing to do with being afraid of dying, it has to do with there being several things i'd like to try before i go. once i've done everything i'm interested in trying, then maybe i'll stand up on a roller coaster.

It was just a joke. I was trying to be funny but failed. :)
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    It was just a joke. I was trying to be funny but failed. :)

i see. i'd like to move on to debating your points then, since you claim to know that anyone who isn't afraid to die is a liar and that we will all be begging jesus for forgiveness on our death bed.
  • Options
    i see. i'd like to move on to debating your points then, since you claim to know that anyone who isn't afraid to die is a liar and that we will all be begging jesus for forgiveness on our death bed.

I didn't say anything about Jesus.

You will change your tune.

• Options
    just curious.... what were you sick of?

(you don't have to answer that.)

I don't know. I did learn the meaning of being violently ill. I'd never been that sick before, even as a kid. Some kind of nasty flu bug, I guess.

As for your argument of the fear of death, I'm not saying I don't have a life wish, or wouldn't fight for my life if I felt threatened in a way that I could fight for it. The actual moment that the thought came that day, though, there was nothing fearful about it. I was under the impression it was out of my hands, so I welcomed it.

• Options
    i bet if i was being swallowed by an anaconda i would be trying to think of ways to kill the anaconda or get out, not praying for more life. if i was a goner i'm reasonably sure i'd be thinking "well, at least i picked a pretty interesting way to go... it'll make a helluva story for the loved ones i left behind!"

seatbelts?
    trying to think of ways to kill the anaconda = praying for more life

i understand what you're saying.... if my life is at end and there's absolutely no choice but to surrender, then yes, i'll be saying things like, "well, at least i picked a pretty interesting way to go...." but while i'm alive and well, i'll keep doing things that will still keep the ball rolling. it's a universal fear. not fear, as in scaring the jeepers out of you... but fear in a sense, that life, for the most part is valuable to everyone and for the most part, we'd like to live as long as we can.

have someone put a gun to your head.... i bet you'd avoid every possibility of running into trouble with some violent hoodlums. or the seatbelts, for example, serve as ways to protect us in case we get in a car accident. because we don't wanna get hurt, or worse, die. right? i dunno... but to me the fear of death is a universal thing.
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    I was under the impression it was out of my hands, so I welcomed it.
    yeah, totally.... that's my basic concept of my fear in death. if it's out of reach, sure i'd be pretty bummed out but i'll learn to accept it.

i think the worst impression you could leave on loved one's is dying with a sense of insecurity, or being unhappy about dying cause you didn't wanna die. think of a victim brutally raped and murdered... no one would like to go out like that. sucks for the relatives too... imagining the pain and agony that the victim had gone through.
  • Options
    Danimal wrote:
    I didn't say anything about Jesus.

You will change your tune.

then i beg you, oh enlightened one who knows me so much better than i know myself, to whom will i be praying? for what will i be praying? and how, oh how, do you know so much about me?

or do you lack the wherewithal to try backing up your assertions with anything more than cryptic phrases that dodge all the issues?
  • Options
    trying to think of ways to kill the anaconda = praying for more life

i understand what you're saying.... if my life is at end and there's absolutely no choice but to surrender, then yes, i'll be saying things like, "well, at least i picked a pretty interesting way to go...." but while i'm alive and well, i'll keep doing things that will still keep the ball rolling. it's a universal fear. not fear, as in scaring the jeepers out of you... but fear in a sense, that life, for the most part is valuable to everyone and for the most part, we'd like to live as long as we can.

have someone put a gun to your head.... i bet you'd avoid every possibility of running into trouble with some violent hoodlums. or the seatbelts, for example, serve as ways to protect us in case we get in a car accident. because we don't wanna get hurt, or worse, die. right? i dunno... but to me the fear of death is a universal thing.

how is that fear? are you saying that for you, the only reason you want to live is becos you're afraid of dying? that's bullshit semantics. wanting to hold onto something of value does not imply fear of losing it. that is a logical fallacy.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Nothing is more nothing than being dead.

How could one fear that?

In the words of Rob Zombie "I am the nexus one, I want more life fucker I ain't done."

That's about how I see it, you don't have to fear death to want more life.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    how is that fear? are you saying that for you, the only reason you want to live is becos you're afraid of dying? that's bullshit semantics. wanting to hold onto something of value does not imply fear of losing it. that is a logical fallacy.
    i think you're the one with the logical fallacy dude. reread your post... it's very contradictory.

tell me that your heart won't start pumping fast if someone puts a gun to your head. come on dude.. you're so full of it.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Nothing is more nothing than being dead.

How could one fear that?

In the words of Rob Zombie "I am the nexus one, I want more life fucker I ain't done."

That's about how I see it, you don't have to fear death to want more life.
    I don't fear death and I don't need more life. I'll happily take what I'm given. I do fear diminshed capacity and poor quality of life should I grow too old.

If death = nothing then there's nothing to fear.

If death = judgement, forgiveness and heaven then there's not too much to fear I hope.

Either way I do not fear death.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    I don't fear death and I don't need more life. I'll happily take what I'm given. I do fear diminshed capacity and poor quality of life should I grow too old.

If death = nothing then there's nothing to fear.

If death = judgement, forgiveness and heaven then there's not too much to fear I hope.

Either way I do not fear death.
    ok.... convince me then

convince me that dying isn't something to fear.

why do we take care of our health? why do we have government? why do we have a survival instinct? why do we get scared when we get attacked by a dog, a criminal, or a hurricane? why do we get an adrenaline rush when we're in a car accident or in some form of catastrophe?

explain that, cause i just don't get it.

and frankly, this sounds like a lot of bullshit to me.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    convince me that dying is something to be afraid of. i would imagine people are afraid to die because they do believe in a god who is going to judge them on the life they've led. as an atheist i have no such primitive fear and therefore can accept death for what it is.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say