Options

Columbus area Pearl Jam fan gone missing...

Comments

• Options
    "By the end of 2005, there were 109,531 active missing person records according to the US Department of Justice. Children under the age of 18 account for 58,081."

As I said before, it is sad but there are 100K missing people in your country and more than half of them are kids. There are networks and resources to help in all cases. This, being a pearl jam fan site, is being used to try and locate Brian because there seems to be a genuine belief that someone in the community may be able to help. That would not be the case with the young boy, I believe.

I don't mean to be rude 'PJkidd' but you used some words like 'deserves' and so on and started suggesting where the thread should be posted, which undermines the efforts of the people who you can see have been dedicating themselves to this thing for a long time and is frankly insensitive.

If you want to have a sticky or whatever for the kid, perhaps you should start a thread and ask admin to do that for you.

Good luck with the searches.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    "

I don't mean to be rude 'PJkidd' but you used some words like 'deserves' and so on and started suggesting where the thread should be posted, which undermines the efforts of the people who you can see have been dedicating themselves to this thing for a long time and is frankly insensitive.

If you want to have a sticky or whatever for the kid, perhaps you should start a thread and ask admin to do that for you.

Good luck with the searches.
    Thank you for realizing how much has gone into finding Brian, or at least trying to get the word out. I live in Oregon and see the news every morning in regard to the missing little boy. Whatever it takes to spread the word, lets do it, sticky or not.
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    I didn't mean any offence to Brian or to undermine those looking for him..... I just meant that that little boy recently went missing is only seven years old and if hes in danger it'd be good to have his be a sticky (yes even though that kid is not a 10club member) because the first weeks after someone goes missing is usually the most significant some would say and it'd be good to have everyone aware about him, and theres no way he left on his own or anything since hes only 7.
    But I wish good luck to both Kyron's case and Brian's case both are very important and sad
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Despite being on the Forum for a few years now I have always skipped this story, until today. Read a few of the linked articles, etc. Wow! Sad, interesting, unique, unlucky and tough story to understand.

My thoughts are with all those who were close to Brian and Randy.

Clint should definately be forced to take a polygraph, just to rule him out. I understand even if he had some blood-brothers pact not to devulge his whereabouts, it's childish of him not to say yes to every request. I imagien it is causing him grief too, having people question him.

Amazing story! I hope in my heart he pops up somewhere or there is some resolve, no matter the result.

Part of me hopes he is "into the wild", but then again, I would hope he was a better man than that. And by all accounts from the articles I have read today, he was a better man than to leave his family worried.

Anyways... hope is definately there on my part!
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    I would love to help someday in the search for this guy. This is going to be a busy, important year for me and my son--so this year is out for me. but I'll try back in another year. I'll keep him and his family in my prayers.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    I would love to help someday in the search for this guy. This is going to be a busy, important year for me and my son--so this year is out for me. but I'll try back in another year. I'll keep him and his family in my prayers.

Awesome. Hopefully we'll have found him by then, but if not (:() then we'll still appreciate the help. Another set of eyes is always a good thing.

I just saw this http://www.myspace.com/helpfindbrianshaffer

1567 days since he was last seen.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    matabelematabele Posts: 277
    I have come up with a simple idea that would go along way to stopping people being abducted, have been thinking about it for a good while now and have checked it out from all angles. I sent it off to a big USA company with some forms they asked me to sign and they replied after a couple of months that they were not interested in pursuing it with me at this time, no reasons were given. I think it has potential, any suggestions on how I should proceed?
  • Options
    JoJo Posts: 2,098
    matabele wrote:
    I have come up with a simple idea that would go along way to stopping people being abducted, have been thinking about it for a good while now and have checked it out from all angles. I sent it off to a big USA company with some forms they asked me to sign and they replied after a couple of months that they were not interested in pursuing it with me at this time, no reasons were given. I think it has potential, any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Keep trying with your device. Approach other countries who will be greatfull for your gadget... We need gagets.
    People missing from our lives need to be found, they need to be found because they are missing from our lives.
    Lets look because our friends may need help.
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    matabele wrote:

Whats your idea? sounds pretty cool don't give up on it
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    matabelematabele Posts: 277
    matabele wrote:

Whats your idea? sounds pretty cool don't give up on it
    Thanks Jo and PJ_kidd, have posted a thread over on A Moving Train, should have done that in the first place! Have had a couple of replies and am thinking of posting the idea and letting fate run its course.
  • Options
    Nothing big, but the case is still getting attention from authorities:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ml?sid=101
    It’s sometimes difficult to separate the reports that need immediate action from those that don’t, said Sgt. Jerry Cupp of the Columbus police’s missing-persons unit.

The unit received 5,726 reports last year, or about 16 per day. About 80 percent of those were for missing juveniles, Cupp said. The unit doesn’t divide the reports by age.

He said that 95 percent of all reports are resolved within two days.

Most adults are, in fact, voluntarily missing, he said. They didn’t come home one night but turn up a few hours later, or the report is the result of someone looking for an estranged spouse. In the latter, police will verify that the person is alive but won’t pursue it further, Cupp said.

A state law signed in 2007 requires law-enforcement agencies to take certain actions in missing-persons cases. They must, for example, immediately enter information into a national database if a missing person is between 18 and 21 years old. They have different time limits when the cases meet other criteria.

In the missing-persons squad of the Columbus Police Department, there's a wall of "high-risk missing" people. Two of them:

Brian Shaffer, an Ohio State medical student who was last seen April 1, 2006, at the Ugly Tuna Saloona in the South Campus Gateway. He was 27 years old.

Anthony Luzio Jr., of Powell, who was last seen July 4, 2005, leaving a party in southern Delaware County. He was 25.

(For those wondering, Anthony Luzio's father, Tony is a long-time friend of Central Ohio Crime Stoppers and helped Randy in his search for Brian.)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Nothing big, but the case is still getting attention from authorities:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ml?sid=101
    It’s sometimes difficult to separate the reports that need immediate action from those that don’t, said Sgt. Jerry Cupp of the Columbus police’s missing-persons unit.

The unit received 5,726 reports last year, or about 16 per day. About 80 percent of those were for missing juveniles, Cupp said. The unit doesn’t divide the reports by age.

He said that 95 percent of all reports are resolved within two days.

Most adults are, in fact, voluntarily missing, he said. They didn’t come home one night but turn up a few hours later, or the report is the result of someone looking for an estranged spouse. In the latter, police will verify that the person is alive but won’t pursue it further, Cupp said.

A state law signed in 2007 requires law-enforcement agencies to take certain actions in missing-persons cases. They must, for example, immediately enter information into a national database if a missing person is between 18 and 21 years old. They have different time limits when the cases meet other criteria.

In the missing-persons squad of the Columbus Police Department, there's a wall of "high-risk missing" people. Two of them:

Brian Shaffer, an Ohio State medical student who was last seen April 1, 2006, at the Ugly Tuna Saloona in the South Campus Gateway. He was 27 years old.

Anthony Luzio Jr., of Powell, who was last seen July 4, 2005, leaving a party in southern Delaware County. He was 25.

(For those wondering, Anthony Luzio's father, Tony is a long-time friend of Central Ohio Crime Stoppers and helped Randy in his search for Brian.)
    Thanks for the update, Peter...Keep those dreams alive!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    I dunno guys it just doesn't seem right to give brian a sticky just because hes a pj fan, kyrons only 7, it just seems this case is more significant as this young boy did recently go missing, as we've seen a sticky isn't gonna guarentee him coming home but its good for everyone to be aware about him. I hope both cases can be solved soon
    well, this is the Porch and it is PJ related since he is a PJ fan. I don't see the harm of it still being a sticky
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    I find it sad that people are always questioning whether this should be a sticky. Of course it should be. I hope Brian is found safely soon.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    I find it sad that people are always questioning whether this should be a sticky. Of course it should be. I hope Brian is found safely soon.
    LIKE!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
  • Options
    Wow....new to the forum and just spent a lot of time reading this. Seriously sad :cry:

positive vibes and blessings to brian's family and to brian wherever he is now.
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    yahamita wrote:
    LIKE!

LIKE :thumbup:
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,676
    Oct 22 Classics Victory's in German Village. 20th Anniversary Party.Live band = Real California= playing Pj covers and original music. Fundraiser for the Central Ohio Crimestoppers/Brian Schaffer Fund.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140480&hilit=columbus
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    On this beautiful Sunday morning, consider this....what if you were missing for 1,660 days, would anyone still care? Would there still be searches, would posters still remain? Brian Shaffer is still missing and today marks 4 years, 6 months and 16 days. Please visit findbrianshaffer.com to learn more about this case. There is a $25,500 reward in Brian's case.

That's from Facebook, and I guess it's past 1660 days now.

And here's the Facebook page for Find Brian Shaffer. I don't think it's been posted before:
    http://www.facebook.com/findbrianshaffer
  • Options
    propro Posts: 134
    I never wish anyone to be harmed or missing, but it takes a lot of keyboard warriors and behind a pc monitor tough guys to make nasty comments on a website forum. I do hope this kid will be found and safe :)
  • Options
    NEW CHANNEL: PEARL JAM RADIO
    Celebrate the 20th anniversary of Pearl Jam’s first public performance on Pearl Jam Radio, a new 24/7 channel featuring archival concerts, rarities, unreleased material, interviews and more.

Pearl Jam Radio features archival concerts from Pearl Jam’s celebrated career, plus unreleased material from the group’s personal music library and side projects, including solo and pre-Pearl Jam music. Additionally, listeners will be invited to participate in the weekly interactive show The All Encompassing Trip, a fan roundtable hosted by Tim Bierman, manager of Pearl Jam’s official fan club, Ten Club, and longtime Pearl Jam enthusiast and radio veteran Rob Bleetstein.

Hmmmm....
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Well, considering that no one who posts here actually knew him in real life, and the man never even had an account on this message board, I think every once in a few years it is okay to discuss the merits of keeping this up as a sticky. People shouldn't take it so personal as there was no offense intended or insinuated. Life is hard, and the necessary discussions life requires can, at times, be even harder.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Well, considering that no one who posts here actually knew him in real life, and the man never even had an account on this message board, I think every once in a few years it is okay to discuss the merits of keeping this up as a sticky. People shouldn't take it so personal as there was no offense intended or insinuated. Life is hard, and the necessary discussions life requires can, at times, be even harder.

I think it works both ways. People can certainly question the merits of the sticky, but if they, or one of their loved ones, went missing, would they want other people questioning the merits of their stuck thread?

See what I mean?

But do we know he didn't have an account here? (I don't know if he did or didn't.)
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    aNiMaL wrote:
    hell for we know he could be posting on here all these years and no one wouldknow. i'm sure if a family member of yours went missing wouldn't you reach out to the pj community to help find them, i know i would.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    metsfan wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:
    hell for we know he could be posting on here all these years and no one wouldknow. i'm sure if a family member of yours went missing wouldn't you reach out to the pj community to help find them, i know i would.

people argue over what should or shouldn't be a sticky? wow - if life was just that simple.....
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Been a good while since I checked in for an update - my heart kinda sank seeing there wasn't any updates with so many new posts since I last visited... but Lost In Ohio, I think it's a TERRIFIC idea you're trying to imply (if I read your mind right) about the PJ radio... excellent idea!

If anything, I admire how people are not giving up on hope finding this man. Look at how EV is still fighting & not giving up hope for WM3 after all these years. I hope it doesn't take that long to finally close this case.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

people argue over what should or shouldn't be a sticky? wow - if life was just that simple.....
    i'm hardly arguing. just defending this thread being deemed non sticky worthy. i guess some people don't want brian to return home safe and sound, shame really.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    IamMine wrote:
    Been a good while since I checked in for an update - my heart kinda sank seeing there wasn't any updates with so many new posts since I last visited... but Lost In Ohio, I think it's a TERRIFIC idea you're trying to imply (if I read your mind right) about the PJ radio... excellent idea!

If anything, I admire how people are not giving up on hope finding this man. Look at how EV is still fighting & not giving up hope for WM3 after all these years. I hope it doesn't take that long to finally close this case.

Exactly and exactly!
  • Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    metsfan wrote:

i'm hardly arguing. just defending this thread being deemed non sticky worthy. i guess some people don't want brian to return home safe and sound, shame really.

metsy - i wasn't actually referring to your post, i'm on the same page as you with this, 100%.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    Has Brian's family ever gotten a psychic person involved--the kind that police used to hire to walk through the crime scene, explore the victim's last where-abouts, etc.? I don't know if police rely on such things anymore. The West Memphis 3 case has opened my eyes to just how thorough investigations have been in the last 20 yrs or so. ;)