Columbus area Pearl Jam fan gone missing...

Comments

• yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    A lady from Randy's church sent me an email. She is collecting information to make some sort of booklet about Randy to hand out. On another note, the investigator who has been working all this time with Randy contacted me as well. We will be speaking tomorrow afternoon. I wanted to share with you what I sent to the church, here are my quick thoughts regarding Randy...

I finally had the pleasure to getting to know Randy through emails and phone conversations. I am a diehard Pearl Jam fan, just as Brian is. We are a kind, giving, soulful loving bunch who still to this day, has a section on the Pearl Jam message boards dedicated to Brian and finding him. We have all been searching and getting the word out since he went missing. It is kept at the top of the page so 1,000s of fans who log on ea day can see the link and remember Brian. I tracked Randy down after my soul started crying out to get up and do something more, that hasn't been done to motivate myself and others to keep pounding the pavement, hand out fliers, wear the t-shirts at concerts, hold fundraisers for Crimestoppers, whatever it takes. Randy and I used to keep ea other up at times, late at night discussing theories, going over evidence, just bouncing things back and forth off of ea other. I will miss his strength, courage, laughter, faith, his will power. I am here to continue the search for Brian along with the entire world full of Pearl Jam fans.We all send our love and thoughts to the family. God Bless you all.
    (provided link as well)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=179622
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
    Randy's Obituary..

Randall A. Shaffer
    SHAFFER Randall A. Shaffer, loving son, brother, husband, father, uncle and friend, passed away suddenly and tragically from a accident at his home Sunday, September 14th, 2008. Randy was a very special person in many people's lives. He graduated from Lancaster High School with the Class of 1971. Randy excelled with his love of music while obtaining his B.A. Degree from Capital University in Music Education. Randy was also a 30 year member of the IBEW-L.U.683. Randy worked for Mid City Electric in Columbus, Ohio. There was never a stranger in Randy's life. He made such beautiful music with his saxophone that friends requested he entertain at many area churches, bringing peace and tranquility at solemn moments and entertaining at many other gatherings. He was always willing when asked for his time to play. He will be a great addition to the Heaven's orchestra. Randy's family was one of the most important parts of his being. He loved to try and beat his sister, brother and father on the tennis court and always has great stories of his victories whether he won or not. He also was an avid bike rider and tried to keep a riding date with his brother when time allowed. Randy was always there to help a friend, neighbor or relative with any electrical task at hand no matter how large or small. If he didn't solve the problem at first he wouldn't stop until it was completed. After the passing of Randy's beloved wife Renee in 2006 and the disappearance of his son Brian, Randy was relentless in his search for Brian and never gave up hope. He made hundreds of friends and helped many other families in search for their loved ones while being involved with the Crimestoppers Organization for the return of missing persons. He will be sadly missed by all the people whose lives he touched. Randy is survived by his brother, Tim (Debora) Shaffer; sister, Robin (Jeff) Hoffman of Lancaster; sons, Brian and Derek Shaffer of Columbus; step-mother, Nancy Acton Shaffer of Lancaster; nephews, Chris (Jody) Shaffer of Columbus, Dan (Marnie) Shaffer of Bexley; nieces, Jamie, Betsy and Katie Hoffman of Lancaster; great-niece, Kaylee Jane Ackers of Lancaster; step-sister, Catherine Duquesnoy of Maryland; cousins, Pam Muralt of Mt. Vernon, Janet Muralt and Cindy Grile of Lancaster. Randy was preceded in death by his mother Norma Jean (Jeanie) Shaffer, father Jack L. Shaffer, love of his life for 28 years Renee Parobeck Shaffer, grandparents Irvin and Pauline Shaffer, grandparents Bill and Ida Franke, great-grandparents Cora and Jeffery Fruchey, aunt Dorthala Muralt Boystel, uncles Clifford F. Muralt and Robert Shaffer. Friends may call Thursday from 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. at HALTEMAN-FETT AND DYER FUNERAL HOME, 436 N. Broad St., Lancaster, OH 43130. Service will take place Friday at 11 a.m. at Emanuel Lutheran Church, 231 E. Mulberry St., Lancaster, OH 43130 with Pastor Carl Rayburn and Pastor Mark Raddatz officiating. Burial will follow at Maple Grove Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society, Crimestoppers or any charity of choosing in memory of Randy Shaffer. Sign the online guestbook at http://www.dispatch.com/obituaries

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
  • Yahamita, what a beautiful letter you sent to the church, thanks for including all the hard-working PJ fans...And what a gorgeous obituary, really showed what a great man he was, I was just listening to Neil Young's "Heart Of Gold" while I read the obituary and it seemed to fit, it seemed that Randy had a heart of gold...You'll be terribly missed Randy! RIP Randy...God Bless....
    "Does anyone remember laughter?"

"Where's Mike McCready? My god he's been ate!"

"If you're an Elvis fan, there's no explanation necessary; if you're not, there's no explanation possible."

"Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them." - RIP Paul Newman
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    RIP Randy...peaceful journey :(
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
    Yahamita, what a beautiful letter you sent to the church, thanks for including all the hard-working PJ fans...And what a gorgeous obituary, really showed what a great man he was, I was just listening to Neil Young's "Heart Of Gold" while I read the obituary and it seemed to fit, it seemed that Randy had a heart of gold...You'll be terribly missed Randy! RIP Randy...God Bless....
    I was just speaking to the investigator in this case, and told him there are fans as far as EGYPT that is interested in this case and Brians welfare. I do have some new information, but not sure what I can post as far as the investigation.

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
  • yahamita wrote:
    I was just speaking to the investigator in this case, and told him there are fans as far as EGYPT that is interested in this case and Brians welfare. I do have some new information, but not sure what I can post as far as the investigation.

Yeah, people have posted in this thread listing Egypt and Australia as their locations.

And obviously, don't post what shouldn't be posted.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    Yeah, people have posted in this thread listing Egypt and Australia as their locations.

And obviously, don't post what shouldn't be posted.
    I just got permission to post a bit of info, however, will wait just a bit til things fall into place. We are planning something BIG in Ohio. I will need as many fans as possible to come out and participate. We need to get this case back out in the open, and for those folks hiding info, we are coming to take you on!!!! Keep you eyes glued to this thread. Anyone out there want to help with the media, please PM me. Patience and confidentiality is a must right now!
    Peace!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
  • yahamita wrote:
    I just got permission to post a bit of info, however, will wait just a bit til things fall into place. We are planning something BIG in Ohio. I will need as many fans as possible to come out and participate. We need to get this case back out in the open, and for those folks hiding info, we are coming to take you on!!!! Keep you eyes glued to this thread. Anyone out there want to help with the media, please PM me. Patience and confidentiality is a must right now!
    Peace!

Good work, L. Bless you for what you do. Truly a good person. I will keep checking here but as I told you before I know I am in Canada but anything I can do to help... let me know.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Wow, this has been going on for 2 1/2 years.

At what point do we put it to bed? Not to be insensitive, in fact i have bitten my tongue for the last year or so...but really, when is enough enough? How many other Pearl Jam fans have suffered, lost, died, and and tragic events happen to them with no thread or anything dedicated to them? I think we as an online PJ community have maxed out all we can do and anything happening now is just for the self-centered purpose of feeling like you need to do something for someone whom you have never met, nor ever would have known. Maybe the world would be a better place if some of you folks redirected your energy towards something a little more local to your home, or a little more dearer to your heart.

Tragic and all, what has happened to this family from the loss - but this is FAR from the worst thing that has happened in the last 2 1/2 years. I just feel it is time for this community to move on.

(I'll probably get crucified for this opinion)
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    aNiMaL wrote:

At what point do we put it to bed? Not to be insensitive, in fact i have bitten my tongue for the last year or so...but really, when is enough enough? How many other Pearl Jam fans have suffered, lost, died, and and tragic events happen to them with no thread or anything dedicated to them? I think we as an online PJ community have maxed out all we can do and anything happening now is just for the self-centered purpose of feeling like you need to do something for someone whom you have never met, nor ever would have known. Maybe the world would be a better place if some of you folks redirected your energy towards something a little more local to your home, or a little more dearer to your heart.

Tragic and all, what has happened to this family from the loss - but this is FAR from the worst thing that has happened in the last 2 1/2 years. I just feel it is time for this community to move on.

Yes, thanks for your opinion................now I hope YOU MOVE ON.
    I have a lot more to say but I feel I should BITE MY TONGUE and so I will.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    PJPixie wrote:
    Yes, thanks for your opinion................now I hope YOU MOVE ON.
    I have a lot more to say but I feel I should BITE MY TONGUE and so I will.
    So, in 5 more years if nothing has changed in the status of this case, do we still have it stickied here? Do we add every other PJ fan who has suffered loss and tragic ends or mysteries also to the stickied list?

I am just asking the tough question. Sorry if I offend anyone by asking this...
    aNiMaL wrote:

Hell NO!!! This case is about to break wide open! and suppose...just suppose Brian is still alive, and the investigator has information of his whereabouts?!?!?! this is just the beginning my friend! Keep an eye open to see whats about to go down with Clint and Merideth(last 2 people to be with him)...

and to add, I'm not doing this for some sick-o feeling of gratitude, when I met Randy, I gained a good friend. I made a promise to him I would not give up the search for answers

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    aNiMaL wrote:
    So, in 5 more years if nothing has changed in the status of this case, do we still have it stickied here? Do we add every other PJ fan who has suffered loss and tragic ends or mysteries also to the stickied list?

I am just asking the tough question. Sorry if I offend anyone by asking this...

I guess I just don't understand why it seems to bother you so much that this is STICKIED or that it is a concern for people??? If it is that bothersome to you, don't enter the thread. Simple as that. My small self, I will still continue to think about this family.

IF NEED BE...............who/how many folks could show up in Columbus and take part in a peaceful rally in front of the CPD??? I told the investigator we as fans come together to support causes, and he is asking how many could show up and give him a hand. The media will also be involved. More details to come, but again, this case is about to break wide open.

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
  • shareshare Posts: 551
    aNiMaL wrote:

Yep, you really should have nail holes in your palms and feet.

Self-centred purpose?? are you on crack? I see self-less. The mere
    fact that this family were total strangers to these people shows how
    big their hearts are.
    If it were you, would you want it "put to bed"?

Seriously, next time count to 10 and re-consider hitting the submit reply
    button.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
    share wrote:
    Yep, you really should have nail holes in your palms and feet.

Self-centred purpose?? are you on crack? I see self-less. The mere
    fact that this family were total strangers to these people shows how
    big their hearts are.
    If it were you, would you want it "put to bed"?

Seriously, next time count to 10 and re-consider hitting the submit reply
    button.
    It completely was not my intention to ruffle anyone's feathers here.

And yes, I am trying to choose my words carefully. Self-centered was probably a bad choice. But, I cannot grasp what people are getting out of this for someone we had zero connection with except for the fact we all like the same band, except for self satisfaction. I just don't see how that makes Brian's case any more special than any of the other thousands of unresolved mysterious cases that have happened since this one.

If it were me, 2 1/2 years later, I would expect this to still be important to my friends and family, and those who may live in my local community. Not complete strangers on a message board that I never visited.
    yahamita wrote:
    Hell NO!!! This case is about to break wide open! and suppose...just suppose Brian is still alive, and the investigator has information of his whereabouts?!?!?! this is just the beginning my friend! Keep an eye open to see whats about to go down with Clint and Merideth(last 2 people to be with him)...

and to add, I'm not doing this for some sick-o feeling of gratitude, when I met Randy, I gained a good friend. I made a promise to him I would not give up the search for answers
    I have nothing but MAD respect for you in everything you share here on the board and the person you appear to be.

I just can't help but to wonder what drew to this in the first place? How was this your place to take this lead? You were a complete stranger to Brian and his family. You were just some random fanatic of PJ's who came out of no where to help a family you had no connection with, just because he liked the same band? Why not help out at your local shelter where homeless people live. Why not work with the local runaways in your town and help them get back into the home/family life? Why pick this case from a different part of the country than you live to expend all of your energy?

For all I know you already do the things I suggested and still have time and energy for this...and if that is the case, my hats off to you.

Again, nothing but lots of respect for you...I just want to understand where the stamina comes from in helping for several years, those who you never knew before this happened.

I could see if this was a long time poster here on this board even - but to my knowledge Brian was never even a member here. Or, if this was something you did regularly before this, take on strangers cases to make the world a better place.
    aNiMaL wrote:

And yes, I am trying to choose my words carefully. Self-centered was probably a bad choice. But, I cannot grasp what people are getting out of this for someone we had zero connection with except for the fact we all like the same band, except for self satisfaction. I just don't see how that makes Brian's case any more special than any of the other thousands of unresolved mysterious cases that have happened since this one.

If it were me, 2 1/2 years later, I would expect this to still be important to my friends and family, and those who may live in my local community. Not complete strangers on a message board that I never visited.
    For those of us stuck at home and can't afford to tour, this has definitely occupied my time. Why waste it sitting in front of the stupid box, when you can do good to help someone out, and again, I probably would have called it quits a long time ago, but getting to know Randy, hearing him cry, seeing his saddness, just breaks my heart. It has also made me want to see about becoming a PI myself. I am the type that has to put closure on things, and I just can't until this mystery is solved! I understand what you're saying though, Animal...

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    If this was true, then you would have continued to hold your tongue. You said in you original message that you'd probably be crucified - that means you KNEW you'd be ruffling feathers. Just move on and don't read this thread, and allow others that are interested (at 50+ pages of comments, there must be many) continue to follow what is happening.

Yahamita, keep up the good work and keep pluggin', yo.
    aNiMaL wrote:

Do YOU always have to GET SOMETHING out of something to make it feel worthwhile?

Ledbetter9 wrote:
    If this was true, then you would have continued to hold your tongue. You said in you original message that you'd probably be crucified - that means you KNEW you'd be ruffling feathers. Just move on and don't read this thread, and allow others that are interested (at 50+ pages of comments, there must be many) continue to follow what is happening.

Wow, you have been a member here for 3 years and I was your 15th post?

Yeah, I knew I would ruffle feathers, but that doesn't mean I was happy about that side effect of me asking the tough question. So yeah, if I could have asked that without ruffling feathers, I would have chosen that option.
  • Yahamita, thank you, you are a beautiful person!
    PJPixie wrote:
    Do YOU always have to GET SOMETHING out of something to make it feel worthwhile?
    No, certainly not.

But, I do get pleasure and joy from helping others - even complete strangers. I am courteous & kind to elders and children alike. I donate to charities and help out with local causes that are important to me.

I just don't see how this can still be rewarding, 2 1/2 years later when the initial connection, IMO, was very thin.

Yeah, if i am going to invest this much time and energy into something, it had better be near and dear to my heart. This case wouldn't and doesn't fit that bill for me.

And yeah, Yahamita is one of the better people on this board, no doubt. I certainly don't have what she has.
  • ok, but it DOES 'fit the bill' for others. i could only hope that if something this bad happened to me or my family, people like yahamita get involved.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I have nothing but MAD respect for you in everything you share here on the board and the person you appear to be.

I just can't help but to wonder what drew to this in the first place? How was this your place to take this lead? You were a complete stranger to Brian and his family. You were just some random fanatic of PJ's who came out of no where to help a family you had no connection with, just because he liked the same band? Why not help out at your local shelter where homeless people live. Why not work with the local runaways in your town and help them get back into the home/family life? Why pick this case from a different part of the country than you live to expend all of your energy?

For all I know you already do the things I suggested and still have time and energy for this...and if that is the case, my hats off to you.

Again, nothing but lots of respect for you...I just want to understand where the stamina comes from in helping for several years, those who you never knew before this happened.

I could see if this was a long time poster here on this board even - but to my knowledge Brian was never even a member here. Or, if this was something you did regularly before this, take on strangers cases to make the world a better place.
    I do all kinds of stuff locally as far as helping with the animal shelters, there are NO homeless shelters here in Bend. I also do alot of social work through my church.
    What brought me to do this......
    well, I had a streak of bad things happening in my life, and one morning I woke up, prayed for guidance(I know some of you don't believe in this sort of thing, but it works for me) and I had a bonk on the head so to speak. A complete overhaul of myself. I've alway been a kind, caring, giving individual, but something was tugging at my heart on this one. I knew I could do more, that is when I made up the packets and sent out to various organizations such as AMW. This case facinated me from day one. How can you just disappear out of a bar when camera's are all over the place? The "friends" who refuse to speak to police, The Smiley Face Killers of the Midwest, it just took over my boring ass life!
    What also kept me going was the very late night calls from Randy. Just a very sad situation. He loved his son so much, and just wanted answers. I guess it's just my kind nature with helping others.

On another note, please read the 2 posts I added on the previous page regarding the investigator. We need to get back to business.

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    yahamita wrote:
    I do all kinds of stuff locally as far as helping with the animal shelters, there are NO homeless shelters here in Bend. I also do alot of social work through my church.
    What brought me to do this......
    well, I had a streak of bad things happening in my life, and one morning I woke up, prayed for guidance(I know some of you don't believe in this sort of thing, but it works for me) and I had a bonk on the head so to speak. A complete overhaul of myself. I've alway been a kind, caring, giving individual, but something was tugging at my heart on this one. I knew I could do more, that is when I made up the packets and sent out to various organizations such as AMW. This case facinated me from day one. How can you just disappear out of a bar when camera's are all over the place? The "friends" who refuse to speak to police, The Smiley Face Killers of the Midwest, it just took over my boring ass life!
    What also kept me going was the very late night calls from Randy. Just a very sad situation. He loved his son so much, and just wanted answers. I guess it's just my kind nature with helping others.

On another note, please read the 2 posts I added on the previous page regarding the investigator. We need to get back to business.
    You are like the Mother Teresa of Pit members. There is nothing I can say to you to contradict your passion, nor would I want to. I definitely understand where this has taken you and completely respect you for your tenacity on the subject.

Your human light, yahamita, puts us all in a better light.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,479
    aNiMaL wrote:

OMG, it seems like you are judging the validity of someone's decision to continue on a humanitarian quest. I agree that many tragic things have happened in the past 2 1/2 years, but if this community chooses to keep the fire burning, who are you to suggest they do elsewise? Everyone on this board has the right to start a thread about some other tragedy if they so desire....it just so happens that Yahamita has decided to be very devoted to this cause.

If you are opting to put the topic to bed, it is as easy as not reading any of the future posts related to the topic.

Might I suggest that you go on a quest to find your sense of compassion, since it has clearly gone missing too!
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    You know, aNiMaL... never mind.

Wish you had bit your tongue... that's all I have to say while biting my tongue likewise.

Lisa, I hope you got in touch with you know who...I sent a message but haven't heard back. I hope it worked out.

Just ignore aNiMaL. ;)

I look forward to the updates!

Much love to you, Lisa, and others who are participating in the upcoming picketing in front of CPD.

I'll be there in spirit!
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Ledbetter9 wrote:

He is not alone in feeling this. Everyday someone dies, some may have been PJ fans, some might be in a war they hate. If he had been a middle class black man, this thread never would have happen. I feel for his family, if you believe in god, then his father found him.

RIP many Pearl Jam Fans!!!
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    yahamita wrote:

I'm glad there is finally going to be pressure on those two friends... I always wondered why it wasn't done a long time ago.

Thank god the time has come now.

I had inside information that I wasn't allowed to share with the public...but glad they will bring that out in the open for more questions to be asked.

And answers to be found, hopefully.

Lizardking - please. stop feeding the fire.

We don't need this right now.

There is new information now and that is the new focus now.

soo, animal and lizardking - shoo away.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII