Pearl Jam To Play Bonnaroo!

Comments

• this festival is going to be insane. The closest thing that i've experienced is like edgefest, sars stock, live 8 and stuff like that, a 4-day festival will be amazing. Plus Pearl Jam and Sigur Ros at the same concert (hopefully the same day) is a dream. I will be able to chill to fullest with sigur ros, and then experience the best live band in the world, in the same weekend!
    I don't mind Metallica being there since i've already seen them live once and they were pretty good, not to mention they are one of my buddies favourite band, so it's alot easier to convince him to come this way.
    The lineup may not be the greatest ever, but there are some great performers here, and a lot of bands that I don't know which is amazing. I don't know about most of you, but i love to experience new music.
    Anyways, I'm coming down from Toronto and I think we might be doing a roadtrip so it should be a pretty crazy experience.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • stankratz wrote:
    OMG I can't fking wait. Ireland to Tennessee is quite a journey but if anythings worth it THIS IS!!!!
    :eek: Ya gonna go? :) that's excellent. It will be one hell of a fucking trip indeed... if I'd the money, I'd be there no problem :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    :eek: Ya gonna go? :) that's excellent. It will be one hell of a fucking trip indeed... if I'd the money, I'd be there no problem :)
    take it ye've a housemate to thank for that?

I dunno what to doooo...
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Jennytree wrote:
    take it ye've a housemate to thank for that?

I dunno what to doooo...
    Oh no! I won't be going! It would break me... much as i'd love to... I'd rather do a couple of smaller trips closer to home than one big FANTASTIC one like that :o

But yep, I did get a new housemate... Swedish guy... and he likes Pearl Jam :) so that's 3 out of 4 in our house... although I'm pretty sure Henry actually does!

Go Jenny GO!!!!!!! :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • HatfieldHatfield Posts: 122
    Milestone wrote:
    Me too. I'm not all that excited about watching PJ through binoculars surrounded by 100,000 stinking hippies.

It's sad to me that Pearl Jam's music relates to people in such an intense way and yet their views on the world are unchanged. Hasn't it made you a little more open? Stinking hippies? How about good people that love music and will give more of themselves to the experience of Pearl Jam live than most of us on this board.

To the people that are really thinking about it, They have 2 huge screens and 3 racks of speakers, including the ones on stage, that go back through the crowd. It is one of the best sounding shows I've ever attended. I don't know how they dial in that main stage so well but it is flat out perfect.

They limit the people that can be up front with a partition or fence between the front and the rest. Plenty of bathrooms and drinks. The heat can get to you but the vibe and people will not.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '00 - 8/6 8/7 8/15 8/17 9/5
    '03 - 4/9 4/15 4/19 7/11 7/12
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
    '05 - 9/11 9/12 9/13 9/15
    '06 - 5/27 5/28 7/7 7/13 7/18 7/22 7/23
  • :eek: Ya gonna go? :) that's excellent. It will be one hell of a fucking trip indeed... if I'd the money, I'd be there no problem :)

Well myself and 3 of the lads are gonna be in the states at the time, so it'd be rude not to go wouldn't it! We're gonna be in Ocean City MD so it'd mean flying from Washington DC to Nashville, looking into flights at the moment. Hey it's a big task but someones gotta represent the fire and the blood of the irish!:D
  • Booneroo! Only 3 hours from me! I cant wait! I love Booneroo! You can buy, smoke weed, THE BEST WEED! Cant wait!
    I'll be back
  • Booneroo! Only 3 hours from me! I cant wait! I love Booneroo! You can buy, smoke weed, THE BEST WEED! Cant wait!

how hard is it to find around there? Probably won't be the best weed i've smoked, but it'd be nice to know some will be around that weekend since i can't bring any with me.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • leafs4ever wrote:
    how hard is it to find around there? Probably won't be the best weed i've smoked, but it'd be nice to know some will be around that weekend since i can't bring any with me.

There will be plenty. Nice people there.
    I'll be back
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    There will be plenty. Nice people there.
    How tough is the security bringing it and pipes in?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    LukinFan wrote:

You will get searched and security (driving in and every time you go to the main stage and Centeroo) could take that kind of stuff if they find it. Also, when first driving into the festival, your car is searched by security but could be selected by Police for a more thorough search. If they find anything you would be in some trouble, so I suggest you get your goodies in the campground.
  • stankratz wrote:
    Well myself and 3 of the lads are gonna be in the states at the time, so it'd be rude not to go wouldn't it! We're gonna be in Ocean City MD so it'd mean flying from Washington DC to Nashville, looking into flights at the moment. Hey it's a big task but someones gotta represent the fire and the blood of the irish!:D
    :D and I reckon you're just the man to do it. Oh when I was planning on going and asked my housemate (she's from ohio) which airport would be the best to fly into for a roadtrip and she said DC... she said DC to Nashville is a nice drive... not trying to put ideas or anything into your head ;) BUT...
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • MANTISMANTIS Posts: 272
    does bonaroo usualy sell out?? I have no idea if i can go to this, and dont want to be stuck with a pair of unused tickets, or not be able to get tickets later on...decisions decisions...

Columbus 00 -- Toronto 00 -- Toronto 03 -- Hershey 03 -- Boston I 04 -- Boston II 04 -- Toledo 04 -- Kitchener 05 -- London 05 -- Hamilton 05 -- Ottawa 05 -- Toronto 05 -- Toronto I 06 -- Toronto II 06 -- Cleveland 06 -- Detroit 06 -- Gorge I 06 -- Gorge II 06 -- Chicago Lolla 07 -- Toronto 09 -- Buffalo 10 -- Hamilton 11 -- Toronto I 11 -- Toronto II 11 -- Buffalo 13 -- London 13 -- Toronto I 16 -- Toronto II 16 -- Ottawa 16 -- Chicago I  18 -- Chicago II 18 -- Hamilton 22 -- Toronto 22

Ed Ved - Toronto I 08--Toronto II 08

• LukinFan wrote:

You'd be better off not bringing anything illegal into the grounds, or you'll probably be arrested, since apparently Tennessee police is pretty strict down there, from what i've gathered.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • I'm really itching to see Pearl Jam again, and at the time of the show it'll have been 2 years, but I just can't bring myself to go a festival like show.
    The last one I went to was such crap and I dont want to have to remember a PJ show like that.

I'll stick to fanclub enabled shows where PJ is top bill with maybe an opening act.
  • Well, after much difficult agonizing on whether or not to bite the bullet and go, my buddies and I have decided it's a go! Fearing a miserable festival experience, I was reluctant to agree to it, but while cleaning the house Saturday afternoon i put touring band in the dvd player, cranked the surround sound and realized I would be a damn fool to skip it.

One of my main concerns is whether or not it is likely to have a good close view of the stage? I'm told the field is huge, but are we going to be looking at setting up shop at 7 in the morning to have a good spot for the show that night? If thats what it will take, thats what I will do.

I'm really excited because there are a lot of acts I'm excited to see aside for PJ. Levon Helm is going to be there for Christ sake, he's a legend in my mind!

So, who thinks Ed is going to show up on the acoustic stage to perform a few ITW ditties and a few more gems? I think it will happen
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    Well, after much difficult agonizing on whether or not to bite the bullet and go, my buddies and I have decided it's a go! Fearing a miserable festival experience, I was reluctant to agree to it, but while cleaning the house Saturday afternoon i put touring band in the dvd player, cranked the surround sound and realized I would be a damn fool to skip it.

One of my main concerns is whether or not it is likely to have a good close view of the stage? I'm told the field is huge, but are we going to be looking at setting up shop at 7 in the morning to have a good spot for the show that night? If thats what it will take, thats what I will do.

I'm really excited because there are a lot of acts I'm excited to see aside for PJ. Levon Helm is going to be there for Christ sake, he's a legend in my mind!

So, who thinks Ed is going to show up on the acoustic stage to perform a few ITW ditties and a few more gems? I think it will happen

He'll be all over that farm! Good decision, friend.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    ' wrote:
    V[ANTIS']does bonaroo usualy sell out?? I have no idea if i can go to this, and dont want to be stuck with a pair of unused tickets, or not be able to get tickets later on...decisions decisions...

It does sell out most of the time, but not usually until a few weeks before Bonnaroo. So I wouldn't say you have to buy them right way, but I wouldn't wait until June 1st either.
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    What people are overlooking on this concert is that the bands get to play as long as they want. I can see PJ ripping through 35-40 songs with over 3 hours of music. Need I say more?
  • MANTISMANTIS Posts: 272
    Red Lukin wrote:
    It does sell out most of the time, but not usually until a few weeks before Bonnaroo. So I wouldn't say you have to buy them right way, but I wouldn't wait until June 1st either.
    hey! are you heading down this year...i want to go, especially with PJ and Metallica on the schedule, but we just bought a new house and im pretty sure concert holidays are no longer on the budget!!

Columbus 00 -- Toronto 00 -- Toronto 03 -- Hershey 03 -- Boston I 04 -- Boston II 04 -- Toledo 04 -- Kitchener 05 -- London 05 -- Hamilton 05 -- Ottawa 05 -- Toronto 05 -- Toronto I 06 -- Toronto II 06 -- Cleveland 06 -- Detroit 06 -- Gorge I 06 -- Gorge II 06 -- Chicago Lolla 07 -- Toronto 09 -- Buffalo 10 -- Hamilton 11 -- Toronto I 11 -- Toronto II 11 -- Buffalo 13 -- London 13 -- Toronto I 16 -- Toronto II 16 -- Ottawa 16 -- Chicago I  18 -- Chicago II 18 -- Hamilton 22 -- Toronto 22

Ed Ved - Toronto I 08--Toronto II 08

NeilJam wrote:
    You will get searched and security (driving in and every time you go to the main stage and Centeroo) could take that kind of stuff if they find it. Also, when first driving into the festival, your car is searched by security but could be selected by Police for a more thorough search. If they find anything you would be in some trouble, so I suggest you get your goodies in the campground.
    Thanks! And this may be a stupid question, but do they sell pipes there for, aw...tobacco use ;)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    I'm getting conflicting reprts here. Some people are saying anything goes at bonnaroo and others are saying the police are strict and search you everytime you move. So wich is it?
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • RockMan wrote:
    I'm getting conflicting reprts here. Some people are saying anything goes at bonnaroo and others are saying the police are strict and search you everytime you move. So wich is it?

why, you're not planning on doing anything illegal, are ya?
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    RockMan wrote:

You're pretty much free to do whatever you want once you get into Bonnaroo, although I have heard about undercover cops. I'm sure if this is true they are only there to stop ppl with large amounts of drugs or selling "bad" drugs. I'd suggest going there with no drugs in case you get pulled over. If you're looking for something take a 5 minute walk : )

The farm is privately owned, and the owners don't want ppl getting busted for smoking a J. Saying that you can basically drink or smoke as you wish. As much as Cops would like to be inside Bonnaroo they can't because it's privately owned.
    Red Lukin wrote:
    You're pretty much free to do whatever you want once you get into Bonnaroo, although I have heard about undercover cops. I'm sure if this is true they are only there to stop ppl with large amounts of drugs or selling "bad" drugs. I'd suggest going there with no drugs in case you get pulled over. If you're looking for something take a 5 minute walk : )

The farm is privately owned, and the owners don't want ppl getting busted for smoking a J. Saying that you can basically drink or smoke as you wish. As much as Cops would like to be inside Bonnaroo they can't because it's privately owned.
    this sums everything up- thanks!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• If anyone's reluctant to go to Bonnaroo due to whatever issues they have with festivals, well, please know that the absolute irony of this is that, unlike all of the other 'normal' (arena) shows, there is no limit to the length of their set. I doubt they'd want to play for more than three and a half hours regardless of the circumstances. How often do they play shows which are that long in any other controlled venue? There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, you're looking at about an average of what, 2 hours and 25 minutes for a PJ show? Like others have mentioned, it's on a PRIVATELY OWNED FARM. You CANNOT beat that! It's not subject to any sort of local laws or curfews as far as that goes. As it is, bands are scheduled on the other, smaller stages, officially until about 3:30 or 4:00 a.m. If the band stops playing after three hours [start time for the headliner of the night is 9:00 p.m.] it would be because: They just don't feel like it; they're simply tired; there's a mad thunderstorm (bringing hail and heavy winds) approaching; they feel bad for holding the crowd there, resulting in other bands starting their shows around midnight having hindered audience numbers.

As for getting up close for those still unsure, you really don't have to get there at 7 a.m. to get a good spot. Bands are playing on that stage throughout the day, up until about 8:00 p.m.ish. If you want to be really close, you might want to wade through the crowd during whoever's playing prior to Pearl Jam, or at least just as that band finishes. Ok, if you want to be up along the fence, it might be easier to go there mid-to-late afternoon. [EDIT: I think it's also important to point out the fact that, other than during the "9:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m." - which really is just a guideline - that there are so many other bands are comedians performing at the same time, prior to 9:00. In other words, a lot of people don't even show up to that main stage until after 8:00 p.m.] Even if a single additional band isn't added to the lineup from this point on, I really doubt that everyone going there this year is going to be a die-hard pearl jam fan. Granted, there might be an additional ten or twenty thousand more than say last year.... What I'm saying here is, you have the fact that there's such a diverse mix of artists playing there to your advantage in that sense. You have much better chances of being in a good spot (with a decent view, and more importantly, a great spot sound-wise) there than at some tight indoor place like the Bill Graham Auditorium in San Fran., where TC tickets were GA. The two big headliners last year were The Police and Tool. For both shows, getting well under a hundred feet from the stage (so, in front of probably 85% of the people there) minutes before show time was easy as fuck. Lots of people there were pumped for either - or both - bands. Yet, even fairly far up, people were nicely spaced apart, some just sprawled out on blankets. [Lots of people were also content with being way at the back of the crowd, with loads of space and easy access to the shithouses.] There was also never any relentless mad pressing of people. At the same time of course, you can't go there expecting to have your own little space, ten feet from Mike or Stone or Jeff or Ed, as you're kinda there to SHARE the experience with countless others. What's killer about that stage is how godly the sound system is.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
    If anyone's reluctant to go to Bonnaroo due to whatever issues they have with festivals, well, please know that the absolute irony of this is that, unlike all of the other 'normal' (arena) shows, there is no limit to the length of their set. I doubt they'd want to play for more than three and a half hours regardless of the circumstances. How often do they play shows which are that long in any other controlled venue? There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, you're looking at about an average of what, 2 hours and 25 minutes for a PJ show? Like others have mentioned, it's on a PRIVATELY OWNED FARM. You CANNOT beat that! It's not subject to any sort of local laws or curfews as far as that goes. As it is, bands are scheduled on the other, smaller stages, officially until about 3:30 or 4:00 a.m. If the band stops playing after three hours [start time for the headliner of the night is 9:00 p.m.] it would be because: They just don't feel like it; they're simply tired; there's a mad thunderstorm (bringing hail and heavy winds) approaching; they feel bad for holding the crowd there, resulting in other bands starting their shows around midnight having hindered audience numbers.

As for getting up close for those still unsure, you really don't have to get there at 7 a.m. to get a good spot. Bands are playing on that stage throughout the day, up until about 8:00 p.m.ish. If you want to be really close, you might want to wade through the crowd during whoever's playing prior to Pearl Jam, or at least just as that band finishes. Ok, if you want to be up along the fence, it might be easier to go there mid-to-late afternoon. Even if a single additional band wasn't added to the lineup from this point on, I really doubt that everyone going there this year is going to be a die-hard pearl jam fan. Granted, there might be an additional ten or twenty thousand more than say last year.... What I'm saying here is, you have the fact that there's such a diverse mix of artists playing there to your advantage in that sense. You have much better chances of being in good spot (with a decent view, and more importantly, a great spot sound-wise) there than at some tight indoor place like the Bill Graham Auditorium in San Fran., where TC tickets were GA. The two big headliners last year were The Police and Tool. For both shows, getting well under a hundred feet from the stage (so, in front of probably 85% of the people there) minutes before show time was easy as fuck. Lots of people there were pumped for either - or both - bands. Yet, even fairly far up, people were nicely spaced apart, some just sprawled out on blankets. [Lots of people were also content with being way at the back of the crowd, with loads of space and easy access to the shithouses.] There was also never any relentless mad pressing of people. At the same time of course, you can't go there expecting to have your own little space, ten feet from Mike or Stone or Jeff or Ed, as you're kinda there to SHARE the experience with countless others. What's killer about that stage is how godly the sound system is.
    I can't wait!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8510989&type=product&id=1186005750966

Will I be able to bring a camera like that into Roo? I don't think it has a removable lens so it should be good to go in...right?
  • http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8510989&type=product&id=1186005750966

Will I be able to bring a camera like that into Roo? I don't think it has a removable lens so it should be good to go in...right?

I think that camera will be fine.
    Atlanta 92
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 12
    Charlotte 13
    St Louis 14
    Greenville 16
    St Louis 22
    Seattle 24
    If anyone's reluctant to go to Bonnaroo due to whatever issues they have with festivals, well, please know that the absolute irony of this is that, unlike all of the other 'normal' (arena) shows, there is no limit to the length of their set. I doubt they'd want to play for more than three and a half hours regardless of the circumstances. How often do they play shows which are that long in any other controlled venue? There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, you're looking at about an average of what, 2 hours and 25 minutes for a PJ show? Like others have mentioned, it's on a PRIVATELY OWNED FARM. You CANNOT beat that! It's not subject to any sort of local laws or curfews as far as that goes. As it is, bands are scheduled on the other, smaller stages, officially until about 3:30 or 4:00 a.m. If the band stops playing after three hours [start time for the headliner of the night is 9:00 p.m.] it would be because: They just don't feel like it; they're simply tired; there's a mad thunderstorm (bringing hail and heavy winds) approaching; they feel bad for holding the crowd there, resulting in other bands starting their shows around midnight having hindered audience numbers.

As for getting up close for those still unsure, you really don't have to get there at 7 a.m. to get a good spot. Bands are playing on that stage throughout the day, up until about 8:00 p.m.ish. If you want to be really close, you might want to wade through the crowd during whoever's playing prior to Pearl Jam, or at least just as that band finishes. Ok, if you want to be up along the fence, it might be easier to go there mid-to-late afternoon. Even if a single additional band wasn't added to the lineup from this point on, I really doubt that everyone going there this year is going to be a die-hard pearl jam fan. Granted, there might be an additional ten or twenty thousand more than say last year.... What I'm saying here is, you have the fact that there's such a diverse mix of artists playing there to your advantage in that sense. You have much better chances of being in good spot (with a decent view, and more importantly, a great spot sound-wise) there than at some tight indoor place like the Bill Graham Auditorium in San Fran., where TC tickets were GA. The two big headliners last year were The Police and Tool. For both shows, getting well under a hundred feet from the stage (so, in front of probably 85% of the people there) minutes before show time was easy as fuck. Lots of people there were pumped for either - or both - bands. Yet, even fairly far up, people were nicely spaced apart, some just sprawled out on blankets. [Lots of people were also content with being way at the back of the crowd, with loads of space and easy access to the shithouses.] There was also never any relentless mad pressing of people. At the same time of course, you can't go there expecting to have your own little space, ten feet from Mike or Stone or Jeff or Ed, as you're kinda there to SHARE the experience with countless others. What's killer about that stage is how godly the sound system is.

Great write up. Out of the three years I have attended, I have never had my car searched. DON'T BRING GLASS BEER BOTTLES, or HIDE THEM AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR COOLER. Also, clean up your mess. It is a neat little 80,000 person community for 4 days. Even with all the heat, the lines for bathrooms and all the dreaded drugs, I've never seen one fight. It's good people.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
This discussion has been closed.