Pearl Jam To Play Bonnaroo!

Comments

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    LukinFan wrote:
    Thanks! And this may be a stupid question, but do they sell pipes there for, aw...tobacco use ;)

You should contact local Bonnaroo enthusiast Wyatt Sexton for the answers to your questions.

;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    I am listening to Hard To Imagine from Boston 94 on YouTube.

PJ need to open with this at Bonnaroo. It would be amazing.
  • If anyone's reluctant to go to Bonnaroo due to whatever issues they have with festivals, well, please know that the absolute irony of this is that, unlike all of the other 'normal' (arena) shows, there is no limit to the length of their set. I doubt they'd want to play for more than three and a half hours regardless of the circumstances. How often do they play shows which are that long in any other controlled venue? There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, you're looking at about an average of what, 2 hours and 25 minutes for a PJ show? Like others have mentioned, it's on a PRIVATELY OWNED FARM. You CANNOT beat that! It's not subject to any sort of local laws or curfews as far as that goes. As it is, bands are scheduled on the other, smaller stages, officially until about 3:30 or 4:00 a.m. If the band stops playing after three hours [start time for the headliner of the night is 9:00 p.m.] it would be because: They just don't feel like it; they're simply tired; there's a mad thunderstorm (bringing hail and heavy winds) approaching; they feel bad for holding the crowd there, resulting in other bands starting their shows around midnight having hindered audience numbers.

As for getting up close for those still unsure, you really don't have to get there at 7 a.m. to get a good spot. Bands are playing on that stage throughout the day, up until about 8:00 p.m.ish. If you want to be really close, you might want to wade through the crowd during whoever's playing prior to Pearl Jam, or at least just as that band finishes. Ok, if you want to be up along the fence, it might be easier to go there mid-to-late afternoon. Even if a single additional band wasn't added to the lineup from this point on, I really doubt that everyone going there this year is going to be a die-hard pearl jam fan. Granted, there might be an additional ten or twenty thousand more than say last year.... What I'm saying here is, you have the fact that there's such a diverse mix of artists playing there to your advantage in that sense. You have much better chances of being in good spot (with a decent view, and more importantly, a great spot sound-wise) there than at some tight indoor place like the Bill Graham Auditorium in San Fran., where TC tickets were GA. The two big headliners last year were The Police and Tool. For both shows, getting well under a hundred feet from the stage (so, in front of probably 85% of the people there) minutes before show time was easy as fuck. Lots of people there were pumped for either - or both - bands. Yet, even fairly far up, people were nicely spaced apart, some just sprawled out on blankets. [Lots of people were also content with being way at the back of the crowd, with loads of space and easy access to the shithouses.] There was also never any relentless mad pressing of people. At the same time of course, you can't go there expecting to have your own little space, ten feet from Mike or Stone or Jeff or Ed, as you're kinda there to SHARE the experience with countless others. What's killer about that stage is how godly the sound system is.

Thanks for that, you really made me feel better...I wanted to believe that already just because I know not everyone has the same impeccable taste in music as I do!

Now, half of our group has decided camping is the way to go and the other half doesn't want to. So, tell me please, how much of a pain in the ass is it going to be to come and go everyday? Is the traffic going to be brutal in the mornings and at the end of the festivities every night? I'm guessing 80,000 people won't all be camping
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • ninfanninfan Posts: 93
    Quick Question...Not sure I can make it do to work. Do I need to worry about these tickets selling out?
    "No intelligent idea can gain general acceptance unless some stupidity is mixed in with it." Pessoa
  • ninfan wrote:
    Quick Question...Not sure I can make it do to work. Do I need to worry about these tickets selling out?

You need to worry about the cheapest ticket level selling out. Otherwise, you're golden for a while if you don't care about forking some more money over.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • So, tell me please, how much of a pain in the ass is it going to be to come and go everyday? Is the traffic going to be brutal in the mornings and at the end of the festivities every night? I'm guessing 80,000 people won't all be camping

You're welcome. I don't want to just kinda rant away endlessly... it just kinda happens! I mean, it's only what will likely be the greatest weekend of the year, so it's hard not to get excited about it!

Actually, pretty well everybody there WILL be camping. The majority of the people there will just have their non-RV vehicles and tents, what not, sprawled over about 500 of the 700 acres there. The numbers might scare people. My roommate was there in '03 with a couple of the bands, just helping out backstage, and she said she was glad that she didn't have to deal with the endless sea of people. I guess it's a matter of where your comfort zone lies. She grew up in Vancouver, whereas I grew up in a town of 5,000 people, yet, I didn't mind the numbers at all last year. OK so, as far as entering and leaving the main grounds (Centeroo), it's never a big deal really. The longest wait I experienced last year was during the first night (Thurs.) when a lot of people were showing up, and leaving their campsites to check shit out for the first time, and there was probably a 20 minute lineup. Eventually everyone's just kinda scattered everywhere, and for the rest of the weekend it was what seemed like a five minute (or less) wait each time passing through the "gates". You're with your friends anyhow, so really it's still better than waiting for the D-Train alongside a bunch of people who'd rather put a gun to their heads than go off to work/what not. The "searches" there (this is under that big yellow arch which you'll see in the photos) are very lackluster. The first day I was reluctant to bring my bag of 'herbal remedies', fearing "security" would take it away (or worse). Turns out some people even had rather elaborate bongs everywhere inside (ok, maybe i'm exaggerating somewhat here, but there was certainly more than just rolling papers in action). They might pat a pocket or two, inspect your bag briefly. Their biggest concern - and understandably so - is, as Hatfield mentioned, glass. Don't bring any glass with you in your vehicle. Anyhoo. So, when leaving the main grounds, you don't even brake pace. The only issue with getting around that you might have is if you're camped on the outskirts of the 'campground', making for a 40-or-so minute walk. That's worst case scenario. Unlike at the Gorge, once you're at Bonnaroo, you get a bracelet and you're free to roam. You don't need a day pass/ticket for each time you leave the campsite and enter the grounds. There are lineups for the "showers" (troughs really). Alternately, there are spots where you can pay... what was it, $5 for a hot, private shower. The shithouse lineups can be long at times. Actually, I never really waited more than five minutes to use one, and usually it's about a minute. The only other time that the high number of people is a problem is (besides getting in on the first day I suppose) say when the headliner of each night finishes, and you're trying to go to the washroom/meet up peeps/get to another stage. That can be chaotic for a half hour. OTHERWISE though, it's really not a big deal. Again, everyone's generally quite evenly dispersed throughout the place.

As for tickets selling out, I wouldn't panic for some time. And if they DO sell out, there's always a crapload on ebay.

Otherwise, just be sure to bring arseloads of water.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    You're welcome. I don't want to just kinda rant away endlessly... it just kinda happens! I mean, it's only what will likely be the greatest weekend of the year, so it's hard not to get excited about it!

Actually, pretty well everybody there WILL be camping. The majority of the people there will just have their non-RV vehicles and tents, what not, sprawled over about 500 of the 700 acres there. The numbers might scare people. My roommate was there in '03 with a couple of the bands, just helping out backstage, and she said she was glad that she didn't have to deal with the endless sea of people. I guess it's a matter of where your comfort zone lies. She grew up in Vancouver, whereas I grew up in a town of 5,000 people, yet, I didn't mind the numbers at all last year. OK so, as far as entering and leaving the main grounds (Centeroo), it's never a big deal really. The longest wait I experienced last year was during the first night (Thurs.) when a lot of people were showing up, and leaving their campsites to check shit out for the first time, and there was probably a 20 minute lineup. Eventually everyone's just kinda scattered everywhere, and for the rest of the weekend it was what seemed like a five minute (or less) wait each time passing through the "gates". You're with your friends anyhow, so really it's still better than waiting for the D-Train alongside a bunch of people who'd rather put a gun to their heads than go off to work/what not. The "searches" there (this is under that big yellow arch which you'll see in the photos) are very lackluster. The first day I was reluctant to bring my bag of 'herbal remedies', fearing "security" would take it away (or worse). Turns out some people even had rather elaborate bongs everywhere inside (ok, maybe i'm exaggerating somewhat here, but there was certainly more than just rolling papers in action). They might pat a pocket or two, inspect your bag briefly. Their biggest concern - and understandably so - is, as Hatfield mentioned, glass. Don't bring any glass with you in your vehicle. Anyhoo. So, when leaving the main grounds, you don't even brake pace. The only issue with getting around that you might have is if you're camped on the outskirts of the 'campground', making for a 40-or-so minute walk. That's worst case scenario. Unlike at the Gorge, once you're at Bonnaroo, you get a bracelet and you're free to roam. You don't need a day pass/ticket for each time you leave the campsite and enter the grounds. There are lineups for the "showers" (troughs really). Alternately, there are spots where you can pay... what was it, $5 for a hot, private shower. The shithouse lineups can be long at times. Actually, I never really waited more than five minutes to use one, and usually it's about a minute. The only other time that the high number of people is a problem is (besides getting in on the first day I suppose) say when the headliner of each night finishes, and you're trying to go to the washroom/meet up peeps/get to another stage. That can be chaotic for a half hour. OTHERWISE though, it's really not a big deal. Again, everyone's generally quite evenly dispersed throughout the place.

As for tickets selling out, I wouldn't panic for some time. And if they DO sell out, there's always a crapload on ebay.

Otherwise, just be sure to bring arseloads of water.
    great info man!
    thanks!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    rhinomagic wrote:
    You should contact local Bonnaroo enthusiast Wyatt Sexton for the answers to your questions.

;)

haha! I love it! And I'm a Huge Nole fan!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Red Lukin wrote:

That's great! Always has been one of my favourites, come to think of it. It turns out he's playing the "What Stage" - same as PJ - which is pretty wild. Normally the comedians just play in the comedy tent.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • i'm so excited about going to bonnaroo but my friends just backed out on me. 1 is still considering it, but i highly doubt that she will be coming. I've asked this on the infooroo forum, but do any of you have experience at roo along? I'm kind of a shy guy at 1st and this worries me, but i love to have fun and once the ice is broken i'm kind of crazy lol. Do you think i'd have any problems there by myself?
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    leafs4ever wrote:
    i'm so excited about going to bonnaroo but my friends just backed out on me. 1 is still considering it, but i highly doubt that she will be coming. I've asked this on the infooroo forum, but do any of you have experience at roo along? I'm kind of a shy guy at 1st and this worries me, but i love to have fun and once the ice is broken i'm kind of crazy lol. Do you think i'd have any problems there by myself?
    A bunch of us from the Red Mosquito and myspace are meeting up at the Super Walmart across the street from the Roo at noon on that Thursday- meet us so you can camp out with us- this way you wont feel alone.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • only a few more hours till i have my ticket.

this should be an insane concert.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Really want to go but I've got to wait until I know when the other shows are to know if I can do it all...
    Tickets go on sale in just over an hour.

Get those credit cards ready!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • rhinomagic wrote:
    Tickets go on sale in just over an hour.

Get those credit cards ready!

what are these credit cards that you speak of?

we are a cash only house
    81shark wrote:
    what are these credit cards that you speak of?

we are a cash only house

OK. Get those debit cards ready, too!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • and the fun begins
  • my tickets are ordered
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I'll wait for the dates.. can only realistically be in the US for 4 weeks.. have to wait to see how to plan it.
    I want to go though :(
  • got my BONNAROOOOOOOOOOOO Tix!!!!
    ya...see u PJammers in Manchester
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    got my ticket, now i just gotta look for somebody to go with...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Got a pair of VIP tix..$1250 later...ouch.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    how fast did the 'cheap' ones go?

had to get the $244...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • a5pj wrote:
    got my ticket, now i just gotta look for somebody to go with...

looks like you`re in the same boat as i am... should be good anyway
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • brainofPJ wrote:

had to get the $244...
    date event quantity ticket type delivery type subtotal
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:00 PM BONNAROO 2008 2 General Admission UPS 2nd Day Air (Domestic) $419.00 USD

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:00 PM BONNAROO 2008 1 Parking Pass UPS 2nd Day Air (Domestic) $100.00 USD

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:00 PM BONNAROO 2008 1 Parking Pass UPS 2nd Day Air (Domestic) $9.95 USD
  • Got an RV ordered, got my tix too. Who wants to caravan/carpool? Leaving from Atlanta.
  • DELETEDDELETED Posts: 421
  • I'm waiting until at least April to buy tickets if nothing else is announced by then, or if there will be something else and I for whatever reason won't be attending.

Anyone who can answer, what price would the tickets be in April? They wouldn't be sold out by then, right?

the price would stay at the current level right now, 244, plus the 22.95 service charge and shipping. Most years the show has sold out, but usually not until May. But your best bet would be to buy as soon as possible if they add any more huge acts between now and then.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • brainofPJ wrote:

had to get the $244...

I have no idea. I was on at noon sharp and had my tix ordered by 12:02 and I had to get the $229. Must have been a really limited number.
    6/14/08 - Bonnaroo
    6/19/08 - Camden 1
    6/24/08 - MSG 1
    8/07/08 - Newark, EV Solo
    6/11/09 - Upper Darby, EV Solo
    10/28/09 - Spectrum 2
    10/30/09 - Spectrum 3
    10/31/09 - Spectrum 4
This discussion has been closed.