Great female singers.........

Comments

• call me lame...

anita baker is one of my favs...

i really dig alanis also
    http://www.myspace.com/sigepnader

History is the polemics of the victor...

LETS GO CARDINALS!
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I am completely addicted to Tasha Coates' voice. :)
    I simply cannot play The Audreys - Between Last Night and Us enough! Nearly every day, sometimes several times a day. It's just a fantastic album. :)

Missy Higgins - The Sound Of White I know I've mentioned both these girls before, but they really are a joy to listen to and Missy's stunning debut gets airplay in my house at least 4 or 5 times a week, not to mention she's still enjoying high rotation on the radio.

Just wondering has anybody else heard her lastest single and what do you think of it? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    anita baker is one of my favs...

Refresh my hungover, sleep deprived brain please? :) Her name is tinkling little bells!! :o
    call me lame...i really dig alanis also

Nothing lame about alanis sig! Nice choice. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Emylou Harris sure does seem to be very popular here and in general. I've actually got a few records of hers in my house that I haven't checked out yet. My best friends dad actually played bass for her at some point, and they're his records. Don't know much about her, but it seems as if she's country but her acceptance is far beyond that.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
    Emylou Harris sure does seem to be very popular here and in general. I've actually got a few records of hers in my house that I haven't checked out yet. My best friends dad actually played bass for her at some point, and they're his records. Don't know much about her, but it seems as if she's country but her acceptance is far beyond that.

That's Mr Sandman right? :confused: I have heard her sing, she's got a lovely voice, just I haven't really been exposed to much of her music.

That's cool about your record collection history!! :cool: :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:
    That's Mr Sandman right? :confused: I have heard her sing, she's got a lovely voice, just I haven't really been exposed to much of her music.

That's cool about your record collection history!! :cool: :)

Yeah I'll be playing it tomorrow if I get a chance. I've been playing a lot of great country on vinal. and its really good country and old country too. My friends dad actually accepted an award for Emylou Harris once. He actaully passed away recently and his kids just learned this and a lot of stuff after he died and they went through his things. He was a great bass guitarist.
    Yeah I'll be playing it tomorrow if I get a chance. I've been playing a lot of great country on vinal. and its really good country and old country too. My friends dad actually accepted an award for Emylou Harris once. He actaully passed away recently and his kids just learned this and a lot of stuff after he died and they went through his things. He was a great bass guitarist.

Ah that's sad that they lost him, but great that they still have him with them, in such a fantastic way.

:D My uncle used to collect old grammaphones, and record players and the like before he died. We have a lot of fantastic old players and tunes, country, jazz, blues on vinyl and it's always great to sit down and play records. So much more engaging than cd somehow. I love having to wipe the record down with a lint cloth and make sure the needle is clear of dust and then adjust the sound with dials!! :D And then having to lift the stylus to skip a track. I reckon it's a great trip down memory lane. AND there's something about listening to country on vinyl, an ambiance, that you just don't get with cd. :) I really hope you have a great day listening.:)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Jeanie wrote:
    I am completely addicted to Tasha Coates' voice. :)
    I simply cannot play The Audreys - Between Last Night and Us enough! Nearly every day, sometimes several times a day. It's just a fantastic album. :)

Missy Higgins - The Sound Of White I know I've mentioned both these girls before, but they really are a joy to listen to and Missy's stunning debut gets airplay in my house at least 4 or 5 times a week, not to mention she's still enjoying high rotation on the radio.

Just wondering has anybody else heard her lastest single and what do you think of it? :)

Ah yes who could forget the Audreys, I listen to a fair bit of blues/folk type stuff and at the moment I have to add liz stringer, jen cloher and dallas frasca, lana martino-smith is amazing also.

Shame everyones list is so short I really have many more, anyway, does missy have a new single?
  • Jeanie wrote:
    Ah that's sad that they lost him, but great that they still have him with them, in such a fantastic way.

:D My uncle used to collect old grammaphones, and record players and the like before he died. We have a lot of fantastic old players and tunes, country, jazz, blues on vinyl and it's always great to sit down and play records. So much more engaging than cd somehow. I love having to wipe the record down with a lint cloth and make sure the needle is clear of dust and then adjust the sound with dials!! :D And then having to lift the stylus to skip a track. I reckon it's a great trip down memory lane. AND there's something about listening to country on vinyl, an ambiance, that you just don't get with cd. :) I really hope you have a great day listening.:)

you're right, absolutely. When I was real young we played everything on vinyl. Country is relatively recent discovery for me despite being from the country. and it is excellent on vinyl. the ambiance thing I bet old jazz would be great and I bet Portishead would be killer. Sometime when I was still pretty young tapes just appeared everywhere, never messed with the 8 track player. I would always play the records till cds came out, though.
    Blyss wrote:
    Ah yes who could forget the Audreys, I listen to a fair bit of blues/folk type stuff and at the moment I have to add liz stringer, jen cloher and dallas frasca, lana martino-smith is amazing also.

Shame everyones list is so short I really have many more, anyway, does missy have a new single?

Just keep em coming Blyss!! :)
    I like to check in on everything everybody has had to say before I head off to the record store!! :)

Yeah, Missy does have a new single. I'm thinking it's ok, but it's sounding a bit over produced to me at this stage, but I've only heard it a few times.
    I don't know it just seems to lack some of the raw and true sound that the first album had. BUT I'm sure it'll grow on me!! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    you're right, absolutely. When I was real young we played everything on vinyl. Country is relatively recent discovery for me despite being from the country. and it is excellent on vinyl. the ambiance thing I bet old jazz would be great and I bet Portishead would be killer. Sometime when I was still pretty young tapes just appeared everywhere, never messed with the 8 track player. I would always play the records till cds came out, though.

Me too!! :D I can still remember getting my first album when I was about 3 or 4 from same uncle. I think it was America. The one with Horse with No Name. :) I've still got it. He also gave me Heart's Dreamboat Annie and Wing's Ram. But I used to sit out in his bungalow with him while he played Patsy Cline and Charlie Pride and Johnny Cash and a whole bunch of Al Jolson on the phonograph, japanese opera, Hair, Jesus Christ Superstar, you name it, he played it!! And I dabble in country even now. Not a rabid fan, but I listen and pick up what I like! :D

But YES Blues and the old jazz sounds awesome from the old grafite I think they were on. I can see them all now, sitting in the box at Nan's. Even the smell of them, takes you somewhere else! And winding up the player!!! :D

Yeah, you're so right Portishead would be awesome!

And I remember the 8 tracks being around when I was tiny, a few old left over ones at stray relatives houses, but I was a cassette girl too!! :D

I've updated a lot of my records to CD but I've kept the records.
    Ah what a trip rd!!! Thanks for that!! Brings back a lot of really cool memories!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Jeanie wrote:
    Me too!! :D I can still remember getting my first album when I was about 3 or 4 from same uncle. I think it was America. The one with Horse with No Name. :) I've still got it. He also gave me Heart's Dreamboat Annie and Wing's Ram. But I used to sit out in his bungalow with him while he played Patsy Cline and Charlie Pride and Johnny Cash and a whole bunch of Al Jolson on the phonograph, japanese opera, Hair, Jesus Christ Superstar, you name it, he played it!! And I dabble in country even now. Not a rabid fan, but I listen and pick up what I like! :D

But YES Blues and the old jazz sounds awesome from the old grafite I think they were on. I can see them all now, sitting in the box at Nan's. Even the smell of them, takes you somewhere else! And winding up the player!!! :D

Yeah, you're so right Portishead would be awesome!

And I remember the 8 tracks being around when I was tiny, a few old left over ones at stray relatives houses, but I was a cassette girl too!! :D

I've updated a lot of my records to CD but I've kept the records.
    Ah what a trip rd!!! Thanks for that!! Brings back a lot of really cool memories!! :D

Stop it now, you are making me nostalgic. I bought everything on vinyl when I was a teenager, thansferreed to tape and kept the records perfect. I had a great colleection. I even had the red vinyl versions of Rocky Horro and Under a blood Red Sky. Psycho girlfriend trashed them all, I found that out on my birthday one time. All in the bin years ago.
    There is a great shop near me called "Rare Groove" if any opne here in Oz is after anything, I can look for you.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Stop it now, you are making me nostalgic. I bought everything on vinyl when I was a teenager, thansferreed to tape and kept the records perfect. I had a great colleection. I even had the red vinyl versions of Rocky Horro and Under a blood Red Sky. Psycho girlfriend trashed them all, I found that out on my birthday one time. All in the bin years ago.
    There is a great shop near me called "Rare Groove" if any opne here in Oz is after anything, I can look for you.

Aaah lucy!!! :( That is hideous!!!! Such a waste!!! A travesty!!!!

Aaarghhh!! Even makes me sad to think of all those beautiful records gone forever!!!

I've got a red vinyl version of Rocky Horror from the Australian Stage Production. :)

But the U2?? Ah this is just tooo, tooo sad. :(
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    Havent read thru the entire thread so I dont know
    if Dolores O'Riordan has been borught up.
    She has an amazing voice.

I also like Joss Stone.

Alanis is great too :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
    Stereotype wrote:
    my favourite : singer from the group Jinx (Croatian band) what a voice!!!

OMG, Yaya's voice is amazing. I agree :)

I like her voice alot. Her and Dolores are prolly ma favorite female singers.

They're coming back together, Jinx :)
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    KT Tunstall is really nice to listen to.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Aimee Mann
    Juliana Hatfield
    Nina Persson (the Cardigans) - especially on Long Gone Before Daylight
    Stevie Nicks
    early Sheryl Crow
    Jewel (first album only)
    early Liz Phair
    Louise Post and Nina Gordon of Veruca Salt
    Kim Deal
    Corin and Carrie of S-K
    Selene Vigil
    Fiona Apple
    Hope Sandoval
    Joan Osbourne (except One of Us - lame song)
    Tori Amos
    Ann Wilson (70s Heart rocks)

i'm definately forgetting some others... but that's a pretty good representation of voices of the female kind that I dig
  • good lord why has no one mentioned Margo Timmins from Cowboy Junkies in this thread yet?
  • GillGill Posts: 56
    Nina Persson from the Cardigans/A Camp is amazing
  • larslars Posts: 524
    the singer in L7
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    Jennifer Charles - Her vocals on the Lovage album are amazing

Gigi - She is married to Bill Laswell and does a really great vocal performance on Running from the light on Enter the Chicken by Buckethead
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Hope Sandoval, number 1 for me.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Women singers suck for the most part (there are a few exceptions though)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Enya
    Not sure if she's been mentioned, but her voice is amazing, too.
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    "Women singers suck for the most part (there are a few exceptions though)"

Thats not true amigo as displayed by this thread.
  • dq4lifedq4life Posts: 154
    jeffbr wrote:
    Ann Wilson
    can't believe it took so long for someone to put her down. probably the tightest female voice in classic rock.
    oh and idk if anyone's mentioned this, but brandi carlile has a really cool voice and she's a really awesome songwriter.
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    jeffbr wrote:
    Heart has as much as admitted that they let the labels lead them around in the '80s. They were such a powerhouse ROCK band until they were made over. Look at the writing credits on most of the '80s crap they put out and you'll see that they didn't even write most of it. They've put that aside, and have been doing their own thing on their own terms for a few years now. A definite return to their roots. And their live shows are great. In addition to covering Zep's Rock & Roll, they do Misty Mountain Hop, Black Dog, and Battle of Evermore. Also, last tour they were covering some Petty and Who which is cool. I was at a show a couple of years ago in Seattle at the Sky Church in the EMP and Mike McCready joined them for a blistering rendition of Rock n Roll and Barracuda. Kick ass.

Their cover of Evermore is INCREDIBLE (Bridge Benefit/Singles soundtrack)....Loved Vegas show when they played with PJ

Havn't scrolled through ea page but its criminal if Chrissy Hynde and Patti Smith have not been mentioned. Never seen Chrissie/Pretenders live but I have seen Patti and she STILL KICKS AMAZING A$$...go see her if you have the opportunity

Also on my list
    Ani Difranco !!!!
    PJ Harvey !!!!!!
    Cat Power !!!!!!
    Bjork !!!!! (even when she plays RIDICULOUSLY short sets..)
    Beth Orton
    Beth Gibbons (Portishead) Is she still recording? Such amazing music
    Lisa Hannigan (bummed she and Damien parted ways..)
    Not sure name of singer, but sings on some Massive Attack tracks
    Tori
    Liz Phair (Exile in Guyville will always be a CLASSIC)
    Sleater Kinney (Just like w/ Chris Cornell.. yeah, i've heard the boots, but anyone can have an off night and the times I've seen them they were INCREDIBLE)
    Hope Sandoval (have only heard Mazzy stuff...will def check out solo too)
    Hole - Live through This (still holds up...AMAZING RECORD..)

and HAVE to mention Bette Midler and Barbara Streisand (to make my mom proud..happy MOM's Day everyone..)
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    good lord why has no one mentioned Margo Timmins from Cowboy Junkies in this thread yet?

Oh man, that's MY fault!
    I thought I had it in there, and it would have been around the top spot!
    What a comforting and sexy voice on a quiet Sunday morning while drinking coffee.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Heather Nova, heartmelting
    Alison Krause, look in the dictionary under elegant and entrancing
    Ellen Foley, caused a lot of adolescent jeans to catch fire in teh day
    Amy Lee, love her or hate hger, she can sing
    JAnis Joplin, whiskey, cigarettes and howling good fun

who wants to name some more ???
    amen heather nova, the voice of an angel, all time fav female singer/songwriter/vocalist

really like nina persson of the cardigans as well, very cute popsy voice
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones