Great female singers.........

Comments

• superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    Carrie Akre formerly of Goodness and Hammerbox (local seattle act, I think they made a little noise nationally, but not much)
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    I didn't read through the 13 pages on this thread, and she's probably been mentioned but my fave is Natalie Merchant.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    Bonnie Raitt, Missy Higgins, Coco Taylor, Sarah MacLachlin, Nana Mouskouri (yep, funny glasses, and daggy dresses but by golly the girl can sing), Carol King, Dusty Springfield just to name a few

and in a weathered saddlebags kinda way, even Melissa Etheridge gets a mention from me.
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    Tori Amos
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • luthorluthor Posts: 3
    Eva Amaral!

Come on, someone please check out any of the four Amaral CD's. they are all beautiful, Amaral, Una pequena parte del mundo, estrella del mar, and Pajaros en la cabeza

Una pequena... and Pajaros... are the best but they're all great. her voice is beautiful!!! (note the three exclamation marks for emphasis)
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    neko case, janis joplin, stevie nicks. love those three.......and...........not into her music, but..............whitney houston might have the best goddamned voice i've ever fucking heard as far as technicalities go.
  • beegirl420beegirl420 Posts: 26
    johnette napolitano
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Tristan Prettyman. Very chills. Like a female Jack Johnson kinda. Check out her album and her collaboration on G. Love's album Lemonada on the song Beautiful. Good stuff, great voice.
    Agree. Tristan is pretty amazing. She is like the female Jack Johnson... surfer, guitar playing former Roxy Model, tall, gorgeous, funny and extremely nice.
    The other women singers I like are
    Jenny Lewis (Rilo Kiley)
    Aimee Mann
    Fiona Apple
    Lisa Loeb
    Sheryl Crow
    Shirley Manson (Garbage)
    Joni
    Alanis
    Tori
    Ani
    Debbie Harry (early Blondie... before they went Disco)
    Chrissie Hynde
    Angie Mattson
    Chan Marshall (a.k.a. Cat Power)
    Beth Hart
    Jill Sobule (more than just the 'Kissed A Girl' girl)
    Liz Phair
    Imogen Heap
    Patty Donahue (Waitresses)
    Natalie Merchant
    Queen V
    Stevie Nicks (although I like the pre-Stevie Fleetwood Mac)
    Christine Perfect
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Fiona Apple, Cat Power, Karen O(Yeah Yeah Yeahs), Norah Jones, Regina Spektor, & Corin Tucker.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    PJ Harvey
    Martina Topley-Bird
    Julieta Venegas
    Kim Sherwood-Caso
    BJORK
  • I love P!nk she is great for me I identify with all her songs .It's so cool.
    But besides pink I think Annie Lennox,Janis Joplin, Norah Jones, Amy winehouse
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I love P!nk she is great for me I identify with all her songs .It's so cool.
    But besides pink I think Annie Lennox,Janis Joplin, Norah Jones, Amy whitehouse

not to be rude but this post made me laugh out loud

....Pink and Amy Whitehouse

SORRY ;)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I just saw Metric again, and Emily Haines is fuckin GREAT!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    BJORK..BJORK...and possibly...hmm let me see...oh yeah..BJORK
  • Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance)
    Tori Amos
    Pj Harvey
    Bjork
    Corin Tucker
    Siouxsie Sioux
    Amanda Palmer (The Dresden Dolls)
    Ani DiFranco
    Katherine Whalen
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Kathleen Hannah
    Kat Bjeland - no one can scream like her!
    Karen O
    Beth Ditto (The Gossip)
    Gillian Welch
    Patty Griffin
    Sia
    Azure Ray
    Shara Whorden (My Brightest Diamond)
    Fiona Apple
    Chan Marshall
    Johnette Napolitano
    Jolie Holland
    Andrea Zollo (Pretty Girls Make Graves)
    Alison Mossheart (The Kills)
  • my faves right now are:

Alison Sudol from A Fine Frenzy

and

Colbie Caillat
  • lisamlisam Posts: 75
    Janis Joplin, whiskey, cigarettes and howling good fun

who wants to name some more ???
    Nope.. JANIS is the ultimate, just listen to 'piece of my heart' and that proves it
    Shot me with your funk gun
  • MarblesMarbles Posts: 49
    I'd have to say Hayley Westenra, and there is some unsigned chick on YouTube that I really like, Ysabella Brave. http://youtube.com/user/ysabellabrave
  • Todd76 wrote:
    not to be rude but this post made me laugh out loud

....Pink and Amy Whitehouse

SORRY ;)
    Look,I'm a fan of P!NK and I feel proud of that,for me she is the best I bought all her cds I followed her career from the beggining what's the fuckin problem with that??? I only said what I felt...show respect to other members...
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    Bjork
    Beth Gibbons
    Nina Simone
    KT Tunstall
    your light's reflected now
  • Hayley Williams.(Paramore)

her voice is made for singing
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • knittedknitted Posts: 244
    Marbles wrote:
    I'd have to say Hayley Westenra[/url]

kia ora!

lucinda williams. maybe it's not her voice so much, but what she's singing...genius.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • MineMine Posts: 556
    lisam wrote:
    Nope.. JANIS is the ultimate, just listen to 'piece of my heart' and that proves it
    Summertime, Ball&Chain, Work me lord, Try, Cry Baby etc. That girl could sing for real.
    I knew who I was before other people started telling me who I was. J.Joplin
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    What I don't get is how there's a number of women with a great voice, but I have such a limited number of women in my collection. Compared to male singers they seem hugely outnumbered..
    your light's reflected now
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I want to add Gillian Welch one more time because I'm on a bit of a kick lately.

I'd also like to remind people that it's only talent that matters. I don't recall seeing Rihanna praised in this thread . . .
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Mia Zapata ...my alltime favorite. Only saw The Gits once , but that voice and that stage presence...HOLY FUCK is all I can say. Quoting The Gits movie ," it was like a fucking bomb going off " . I was really taken by the shy , reserved ,and very nice Mia when I talked with her after seeing the Gits in 91. I found it difficult to believe someone who was that shy was also that dynamic. I listen to The Gits like I listen to PJ , every single day.

Other faves:
    Kathleen Hanna
    Feist
    Natalie Merchant, esp. on 10000 Maniacs unplugged
    Both Corin Tucker and Carrie Brownstein from S-K
    Cat Power
    Exene Cervenka
    Penelope Houston (The Avengers)
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Chan Marshall

The way she sings this in Maybe Not is amazing:

"We can all be free
    Maybe not in words
    Maybe not with a look
    But with your mind"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Beth Ditto is an awesome singer, The Gossip were amazing at Reading last year:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vxgla2CESXk
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Beth Ditto is an awesome singer, The Gossip were amazing at Reading last year:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vxgla2CESXk
    I thoroughly disconcur. Shite singer (oooh wooohhh wooohooowoohhhh. Calm down there Aretha), shite band, shite attitude. She makes out like she's some martyr for women, lesbians and morbidly obese people, and just wants to be treated the same as everyone else and yet SHE is the one that never shuts up about it. How is heart disease and joint problems a good role model for the kids? Christ... few people upset me like Beth Ditto :D

Of course this is just my opinion.
    Chan Marshall would kick her ass in a fight too, I betcha ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vj_tR4p184
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Holy crap, this thread is still going.

Pink is cool. Pop, but cool.
    Music is not a competetion.