Great female singers.........

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Ok time to revisit my list! :)

Had a scratch around in the collection and I've decided that I'll post my picks of female singers from around the world in this post and then go again on the Aussie chicks in another post. :)

So in no particular order:

Skin from Skunk Anansie: Charlie Big Potato, my god what an awesome song with amazingly seductive and rocking vocals. Even when she goes to her head voice, she's honey. So bad and so very sexy!

Donna Summer: The whole On the Radio album just amazing, even for Disco, which I confess to having a closet love for! Well I guess it's out now!;)
    But Donna has a voice that is sooo difficult to emulate and her diaphragm must be the most amazing muscle in her body. How she can hold notes the way she does and not need air I will never know. Note to the youngies here, that Donna Summer=Christina Aguilera in terms of vocal brilliance. Only the times have changed. And a quick nod to Christina here. She really is something to behold. :)

Roison Murphy from Moloko: Wow!! Love that girl's voice!! Things to Make and Do is a fantastic album. It's got everything. Well I'd love to hear Roison really ROCK but her voice is so silky and yet has balls too! She's got a great head range and an amazing lower chest register. And really, I can never get enough of The Time Is Now & Mother! :)

Patsy Cline: Now what can I say about Patsy? :) What an amazing voice! If I can ever get even close to half as good as Patsy I'll die happy. ;)
    A constant inspiration and mentor in terms of singing. Someone that I'd truly love to be able to emulate. There's a timbre to Patsy's voice that I've tried and tried to get but I just don't got it! :o Patsy Cline is amazing. And so beautiful to listen to.:)

Sarah McLachlan What a beautiful voice. So haunting. And so emotive.
    Love Sarah, especially Angel. She even manages that semi yodel thing that just amazes me. Brilliant! :)

Tracy Chapman Aah Tracey! We do love her bluesy, ballsy voice. She rocks. Love her to bits.

I've already mentioned Ann and Nancy Wilson. I doubt that I'll ever love another female voice as much as I love theirs. Crazy on You. Now that takes some singing!! Those girls really are consumate performers and singers. All round great musicians with fantastic voices.

I'll also add some others here, like the girl that does the vocal responses to Meatloaf in Paradise By the Dashboard Light. Now that's always been a drunken party or karaoke night bit of fun for me! :D That girl. She can sing! :)

And those amazing girls that sing the vocal from Big Gig In The Sky. Now those are some AMAZING vocals. Nothing I'll ever be able to even bother attempting with any accuracy but so elevating to listen to and appreciate. :)

Which brings me to another point. Back Up singers!! There have been some amazing back up vocals over the years and those girls have lived on in obscurity. So hats off to all the amazing female back up vocalists from over the years. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Jeanie wrote:
    Ok time to revisit my list! :)

Had a scratch around in the collection and I've decided that I'll post my picks of female singers from around the world in this post and then go again on the Aussie chicks in another post. :)

So in no particular order:

Skin from Skunk Anansie: Charlie Big Potato, my god what an awesome song with amazingly seductive and rocking vocals. Even when she goes to her head voice, she's honey. So bad and so very sexy!

Donna Summer: The whole On the Radio album just amazing, even for Disco, which I confess to having a closet love for! Well I guess it's out now!;)
    But Donna has a voice that is sooo difficult to emulate and her diaphragm must be the most amazing muscle in her body. How she can hold notes the way she does and not need air I will never know. Note to the youngies here, that Donna Summer=Christina Aguilera in terms of vocal brilliance. Only the times have changed. And a quick nod to Christina here. She really is something to behold. :)

Roison Murphy from Moloko: Wow!! Love that girl's voice!! Things to Make and Do is a fantastic album. It's got everything. Well I'd love to hear Roison really ROCK but her voice is so silky and yet has balls too! She's got a great head range and an amazing lower chest register. And really, I can never get enough of The Time Is Now & Mother! :)

Patsy Cline: Now what can I say about Patsy? :) What an amazing voice! If I can ever get even close to half as good as Patsy I'll die happy. ;)
    A constant inspiration and mentor in terms of singing. Someone that I'd truly love to be able to emulate. There's a timbre to Patsy's voice that I've tried and tried to get but I just don't got it! :o Patsy Cline is amazing. And so beautiful to listen to.:)

Sarah McLachlan What a beautiful voice. So haunting. And so emotive.
    Love Sarah, especially Angel. She even manages that semi yodel thing that just amazes me. Brilliant! :)

Tracy Chapman Aah Tracey! We do love her bluesy, ballsy voice. She rocks. Love her to bits.

I've already mentioned Ann and Nancy Wilson. I doubt that I'll ever love another female voice as much as I love theirs. Crazy on You. Now that takes some singing!! Those girls really are consumate performers and singers. All round great musicians with fantastic voices.

I'll also add some others here, like the girl that does the vocal responses to Meatloaf in Paradise By the Dashboard Light. Now that's always been a drunken party or karaoke night bit of fun for me! :D That girl. She can sing! :)

And those amazing girls that sing the vocal from Big Gig In The Sky. Now those are some AMAZING vocals. Nothing I'll ever be able to even bother attempting with any accuracy but so elevating to listen to and appreciate. :)

Which brings me to another point. Back Up singers!! There have been some amazing back up vocals over the years and those girls have lived on in obscurity. So hats off to all the amazing female back up vocalists from over the years. :)

The Meatloaf girl ??? Ellen Foley, mentioned in my original post. Though she never toured with teh band, that was someone else, can't remember her name, but saw it on Behind teh Music.

Sarah McLachlan, I didn't mention it before, but Angel was the other song we played at our wedding, as well as Wishlist.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Ok moving on to the Aussie girls:

Katie Noonan What a voice! I do so admire Katie. And could listen to her voice for hours. Her work with george is some very beautiful music and some of the best vocals I have ever heard. I know as a "killer soprano" she's not someone that I could normally enjoy but damn that girl can hit a note!! Her opera cd with her mum Maggie is also a fav of mine. And live she's just fantastic!
    One of the greatest things I ever heard was Katie and Deborah Conway perform Deborah's Man Overboard at The Forum in 2002. It was sooo amazing and such a surprise that I thought I would spontaneously human combust! :D
    Which brings me to:

Deborah Conway Quite a part from the fact that I'm really not a fan of Deborah's music, aside from Man Overboard from her Do Re Mi days, I truly think her voice is one of the finest in this country. :)

Wendy Matthews Now I know that Wendy is a Canadian, BUT her music career has been really big here and as she's now an Aussie, we're happy to claim her as our own. :D And what a fantastic asset she is to our music industry. From her back up days with John Farnham to her amazing solo albums. Listening to Wendy is like being enveloped in a bath of warm cream. And The Day You Went Away is such an emotional and beautiful song which can still bring me to tears. The video clip is sooo sad and happy at the same time. Aah and Beloved. Such romantic and haunting songs. Such a beautiful voice. We love Wendy!! :)

Suzi De Marchi Now that girl rocks!! Miss her on the music scene like crazy!! That girl's got such a gutsy voice!! Bluesy and ballsy! Pure Rock Chic!! :D
    Love to see a Baby Animals re union!! :)

And now in no particular order, I'm loving Mia Dyson at the moment. Thank you sooo much cate. She's just fantastic and has a Janis type sound. Just loving her!

Taasha Coates from The Audreys. Thanks again cate. OMG!! That cd is so addictive. Such a beautiful voice. I'm really looking forward to listening to this girl for a long time. :)

The Waifs and Tiddas. :) Do so love listening to these girlies. Beautiful music. Beautiful voices. :)

Vika and Linda Bull!! Cannot forget these girls!! Amazing voices. And a joy to listen to. Love their work, whether it's together or with others, like Joe Camilleri. Reckon, they really are two of Australia's finest female voices. AND it's still one of my memorable life experiences to be able to say that I got to sing and rehearse with Vika in gospel choir! She has a truly amazing voice. And it's even more amazing up close and personal! :D

I'm sure there's more but I been banging on at this for awhile now, so I'm gonna shut up. BUT go the Aussies!!! :D

Oops!! Wait!! I forgot!! Chrissy Amphlett!!! :D Woohoo!! You go girl!! You little feral you!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Nelly Furtado
    Björk
    Gwen Stefani (No Doubt era..)
    Sharin Foo (Raveonettes)
    Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs... not really the best voice, but it definitely fits the style of music, and her voice just kicks ass in general)
    If I could, think I would give in.
    I forgot Clare Bowditch, Amiel, Sarah Blasko, Brooke Fraser, Holly Throsby.
    Actually if you get the chance buy She Will Have Her Way The Songs of Tim & Neil Finn. It's got to be one of the best examples of Aussie Sheilas singing I've heard in a while. And it doesn't hurt that it's all Neil & Tum! ;)

MISSY HIGGINS!!! OMG!! I forgot Missy!!! :o

As Molly would say, "Do yourself a favor" if you never buy another album by an Australian Female Singer, buy The Sound Of White. Missy is just amazing and as a debut album this is surely one of the best in the history of Australian Music. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    The Meatloaf girl ??? Ellen Foley, mentioned in my original post. Though she never toured with teh band, that was someone else, can't remember her name, but saw it on Behind teh Music.

Sarah McLachlan, I didn't mention it before, but Angel was the other song we played at our wedding, as well as Wishlist.

Ah!! Thanks luce!! I couldn't remember her bloody name! And I couldn't be bothered hunting out the album. Ellen Foley. Yeah that's it! What a voice!
    I'm thinking there was some one else though. I'm wondering if the chic that toured is the one that did the back up on that other Meatloaf song with the female part. Coz that's a pretty rocking girl voice too! :)

:) Angel is soooo pretty! It would have been loverlee at the wedding. :)
    I actually had to learn it in 2005 because we were going to sing it in our set in the foyer before our physical theatre/puppetry project but my trusty side kick landed on her head while rehearsing so we had to scrap the whole thing.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,059
    off the top of my head... Sarah Bettens...(I don't know her name!), etc etc.

I did not think someone would mention Sarah Bettens, but she's got an awsome voice. She was great with K's Choice. I don't really like her solo album, but not cuz of her voice. Good call.

I am kinda suprised that after 6+ pages nobody mentioned Amy Ray or Emily Saliers (the Indigo Girls). They have tremendous voices that work very well together.

I would also like to add Three5Human singer Trina Meade.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Aretha Franklin
    Big Mama Thornton
    Dinah Williams
    Sarah Vaughan
    Deborah Harry
    Margo Timmons
    Grace Slick
    Amy Lee

Great list.

I should have added Tracy Chapman and Ella Fitzgerald to my list.

Etta James still my favorite. Something about the blues...
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Jeanie wrote:
    Ah!! Thanks luce!! I couldn't remember her bloody name! And I couldn't be bothered hunting out the album. Ellen Foley. Yeah that's it! What a voice!
    I'm thinking there was some one else though. I'm wondering if the chic that toured is the one that did the back up on that other Meatloaf song with the female part. Coz that's a pretty rocking girl voice too! :)

:) Angel is soooo pretty! It would have been loverlee at the wedding. :)
    I actually had to learn it in 2005 because we were going to sing it in our set in the foyer before our physical theatre/puppetry project but my trusty side kick landed on her head while rehearsing so we had to scrap the whole thing.

Are you thinking of "I'd Do Anything for Love" ?? MIght be the same girl, I'm not sure. Which brings us to Bonnie Tyler. As well I just remembered Julie Covington, sang on the original Evita soundtrack and had a MASSIVE hit with "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina". I was trying to remember her name, and it just came to me, showing my age.

Sarah McLachlan is one of my favourites. HAve you seen her DVD, blue eyeliner, and bare feet, what a doll !!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
    Are you thinking of "I'd Do Anything for Love" ?? MIght be the same girl, I'm not sure. Which brings us to Bonnie Tyler. As well I just remembered Julie Covington, sang on the original Evita soundtrack and had a MASSIVE hit with "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina". I was trying to remember her name, and it just came to me, showing my age.

Sarah McLachlan is one of my favourites. HAve you seen her DVD, blue eyeliner, and bare feet, what a doll !!!!!

Yes!! That's it luce!!! :D Thank you!! Was driving me nuts all afternoon!!
    I did a quick google but apparently the female vocalist from this one is only credited as Mrs Loud????? So who knows who it is?

Love Bonnie Tyler! Did you see her on TV when she was out here recently?
    She doesn't seem to have changed a bit! And she can still sing kick ass!! :)

Ah, Julie Covington! I have the Original Evita Soundtrack. Just beautiful.
    Evita was the first Musical I ever went to. I'll never forget it! Such a beautiful score and amazing lyrics. Mr Rice and Mr Lloyd Webber really were artisans in the beginning.

I haven't actually seen the Sarah McLachlan DVD. She is a lovely looking creature if the cover of the album I've got is anything to go by.

Geez luce, anybody'd think you were 100! :p 43 is not old!! ;) It means you know the answer to life, the universe and everything plus a year!!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    Tori Amos, she's about the only female singer I can stand.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • ScubascottScubascott Posts: 815
    Jeanie wrote:
    I forgot Clare Bowditch, Amiel, Sarah Blasko, Brooke Fraser, Holly Throsby.
    Actually if you get the chance buy She Will Have Her Way The Songs of Tim & Neil Finn. It's got to be one of the best examples of Aussie Sheilas singing I've heard in a while. And it doesn't hurt that it's all Neil & Tum! ;)

MISSY HIGGINS!!! OMG!! I forgot Missy!!! :o

As Molly would say, "Do yourself a favor" if you never buy another album by an Australian Female Singer, buy The Sound Of White. Missy is just amazing and as a debut album this is surely one of the best in the history of Australian Music. :)

While we're listing the Aussies, how about Mia Dyson? She's got one of the most powerful, sexy female voices I've ever heard. And Kate Miller-Hedike.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
    Scubascott wrote:
    While we're listing the Aussies, how about Mia Dyson? She's got one of the most powerful, sexy female voices I've ever heard. And Kate Miller-Hedike.

:o Yeah, way back in my Aussie Sheilas diatribe scott I did mention Mia. :D I think she's fantastic and has a real Janis feel to her sound. I'm surprised you missed it! ;)

And I confess I don't know Kate Miller-Hedike. What would you recommend? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Really not sure how!!
    But was watching Earl tonight and Randy reminded me! Who'd have thought I'd get anything from that show??!! ;)

But anyway, Cyndi Lauper!!! :D

DO so love Cyndi. Favorite song would have to be Money Changes Everything. But Time after Time pretty cool too. :)

And I sooo did have her hair!! :eek:
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    OK, one electric shock to you, now say something nice !!

i like ice cream.
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Jeanie wrote:
    :o Yeah, way back in my Aussie Sheilas diatribe scott I did mention Mia. :D I think she's fantastic and has a real Janis feel to her sound. I'm surprised you missed it! ;)

And I confess I don't know Kate Miller-Hedike. What would you recommend? :)

Yes, I would argue that Australia really is the country for good female singer-songwriters for sure:) I forgot Holly Throsby on my list.

out and in or space they cannot touch by Kate Miller-Heidke displays some amazing vocal but if you want a laugh her australian idol song or blah blah are great.

I know you asked someone else but I had to answer to lol.
    Blyss wrote:
    Yes, I would argue that Australia really is the country for good female singer-songwriters for sure:) I forgot Holly Throsby on my list.

out and in or space they cannot touch by Kate Miller-Heidke displays some amazing vocal but if you want a laugh her australian idol song or blah blah are great.

I know you asked someone else but I had to answer to lol.

She's from Idol? :o
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Since there were some comments recently slamming female singers, I thought I might stand up for teh sisters.

Heather Nova, heartmelting
    Alison Krause, look in the dictionary under elegant and entrancing
    Ellen Foley, caused a lot of adolescent jeans to catch fire in teh day
    Amy Lee, love her or hate hger, she can sing
    JAnis Joplin, whiskey, cigarettes and howling good fun

who wants to name some more ???

Actually I think I was one of the original slammers , suggesting that Top Rock BANDS (pretty much all the best ones) , for some reason just don't have female lead singers .I think thats the difference , there are without question many top notch female singers (most of which have been mentioned on this thread) ,especially the likes of Aretha,Ella Fitzgerald,Billie Holliday,Kate Bush and the like.They are all SOLO artists .However when you take females fronting Rock bands, with the exception of Stevie Nicks and probably Debbie Harry you really are struggling to find anyone that has reached the very top level.As I mentioned in my previous post on another thread please don't mention F****n HEART, as they are a perfect example of the point I was trying to make originally.I am telling you there is something in it ,it seems wierd I know ,but its patently true.Girl fronted rock bands just don't seem to work!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
    eclectic wrote:
    Actually I think I was one of the original slammers , suggesting that Top Rock BANDS (pretty much all the best ones) , for some reason just don't have female lead singers .I think thats the difference , there are without question many top notch female singers (most of which have been mentioned on this thread) ,especially the likes of Aretha,Ella Fitzgerald,Billie Holliday,Kate Bush and the like.They are all SOLO artists .However when you take females fronting Rock bands, with the exception of Stevie Nicks and probably Debbie Harry you really are struggling to find anyone that has reached the very top level.As I mentioned in my previous post on another thread please don't mention F****n HEART, as they are a perfect example of the point I was trying to make originally.I am telling you there is something in it ,it seems wierd I know ,but its patently true.Girl fronted rock bands just don't seem to work!

And we're not mentioning Heart because? :confused:

Female rock bands DON'T get the same deal as the fellas. You'd have to be blind to not to have noticed that in order to survive in the market you need to be pretty and pliable or overtly sexual. Those are the requirements for girls. THAT is what the record companies are bringing us. That is all that the current generation seems to want. Maybe because they aren't aware of anything else. Music is a boys club. Like most things in this world. I'd suggest THAT is why girl fronted rock bands don't seem to work. Oh and we have had plenty here in Oz. Which I must confess is interesting because MANY of our blokes are some of the biggest male chauvanist, mysoginists in the world.

And I really would like to hear what you have to say about Heart or at the very least please direct me to where you previously made comment.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • I've been diggin Brandi Carlile recently. She has quite the voice on her, and it has that rough edge and twang like Patsy Cline. I can't wait for her new album to come out.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Jeanie wrote:

Female rock bands DON'T get the same deal as the fellas. You'd have to be blind to not to have noticed that in order to survive in the market you need to be pretty and pliable or overtly sexual. Those are the requirements for girls. THAT is what the record companies are bringing us. That is all that the current generation seems to want. Maybe because they aren't aware of anything else. Music is a boys club. Like most things in this world. I'd suggest THAT is why girl fronted rock bands don't seem to work. Oh and we have had plently here in Oz. Which I must confess is interesting because MANY of our blokes are some of the biggest male chauvanist, mysoginists in the world.

And I really would like to hear what you have to say Heart or at the very least please direct me to where you previously made comment.

I don't get the problem with Heart either. Sure, their 80's stuff was godawful, but the classic stuff like Barracuda and Magic Man still sounds pretty good to me. I wish there were more good female fronted rock bands because, when a woman can really sing ROCK (like PJ Harvey), it sounds awesome.

Maybe this is an ignorant assumption on my part, but it seems the majority of female singers go for more of a polished, pop kind of thing than real rock. I'd love to hear a new rocking band with memorable guitar riffs and all around strong musicianship fronted by a woman with a raw, bluesy voice.
    honestgabe wrote:
    I've been diggin Brandi Carlile recently. She has quite the voice on her, and it has that rough edge and twang like Patsy Cline. I can't wait for her new album to come out.

Don't know of her gabe, but she sounds interesting. Anybody with a Pasty feel deserves a listen in my book. :) Any suggestions or recommendations? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • http://www.myspace.com/brandicarlileband

Thats her myspace page. I first got into her when she was XPN's artist to watch and David Dye interviewed her on World Cafe. Shes a big Elton John fan (tumbleweed connection era), Jeff Buckley, Radiohead. Lots of good influences there.
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I don't get the problem with Heart either. Sure, their 80's stuff was godawful, but the classic stuff like Barracuda and Magic Man still sounds pretty good to me. I wish there were more good female fronted rock bands because, when a woman can really sing ROCK (like PJ Harvey), it sounds awesome.

Maybe this is an ignorant assumption on my part, but it seems the majority of female singers go for more of a polished, pop kind of thing than real rock. I'd love to hear a new rocking band with memorable guitar riffs and all around strong musicianship fronted by a woman with a raw, bluesy voice.

I agree the 80s sucked from a Heart perspective!! Can't help wondering if they had to go with what the market dictated at the time. But yes, Magic Man and Barracuda are definitely rock goddess!! :D As is Bebe Le Strange, and their cover of Led Zepplin's Rock Rock and Roll is inspired!!

We have a few excellent examples of girls rocking out the front of bands here! I'd have to say Magic Dirt springs to mind here. As well as Nitocris.

But yeah, hendrix, we could sure do with some more rock chic action right about now I reckon!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    honestgabe wrote:
    http://www.myspace.com/brandicarlileband

Thats her myspace page. I first got into her when she was XPN's artist to watch and David Dye interviewed her on World Cafe. Shes a big Elton John fan (tumbleweed connection era), Jeff Buckley, Radiohead. Lots of good influences there.

Thanks gabe, I'll check it out in a bit. I appreciate you posting it for me.
    I'll peruse it later and get back to you. Bit busy right now. BUT really, Thank You!!! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Jeanie wrote:

Female rock bands DON'T get the same deal as the fellas. You'd have to be blind to not to have noticed that in order to survive in the market you need to be pretty and pliable or overtly sexual. Those are the requirements for girls. THAT is what the record companies are bringing us. That is all that the current generation seems to want. Maybe because they aren't aware of anything else. Music is a boys club. Like most things in this world. I'd suggest THAT is why girl fronted rock bands don't seem to work. Oh and we have had plenty here in Oz. Which I must confess is interesting because MANY of our blokes are some of the biggest male chauvanist, mysoginists in the world.

And I really would like to hear what you have to say about Heart or at the very least please direct me to where you previously made comment.

Not mentioning Heart because I am talkin about TOP rock bands like Led Zep,Pink Floyd,Radiohead,PJ,Nirvana,The Stones etc.Heart are simply a cheesy radio friendly Pop/Rock band with pleasant singers but of no consequence historically.You may have plenty in Oz and there are plenty the world over but they can't be big or indeed that good.Also I hope you aren't suggesting I am a male chauvanist ,as I am a rock fan making an observation and stating an opinion on that,no more,no less.The boys club may well be true but I can assure you that this current generation is no different to any other Rock generation.Also the requirements may well be different for guys as there are some right ugly bastards who are massive(Mick Jagger,Steve Tyler,Marylin Manson)!!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
    eclectic wrote:
    Not mentioning Heart because I am talkin about TOP rock bands like Led Zep,Pink Floyd,Radiohead,PJ,Nirvana,The Stones etc.Heart are simply a cheesy radio friendly Pop/Rock band with pleasant singers but of no consequence historically.You may have plenty in Oz and there are plenty the world over but they can't be big or indeed that good.Also I hope you aren't suggesting I am a male chauvanist ,as I am a rock fan making an observation and stating an opinion on that,no more,no less.The boys club may well be true but I can assure you that this current generation is no different to any other Rock generation.Also the requirements may well be different for guys as there are some right ugly bastards who are massive(Mick Jagger,Steve Tyler,Marylin Manson)!!

Ok eclectic, then perhaps I should have been a bit clearer. Lucy started this thread as a positive and optimistic look at female singers. It was an opportunity to for people to come forward with female singers that they like and admire and was initially posted in direct response to negativity on other parts of the board. SO with that in mind, please point me to were you have made your previous negative comments about Heart as I feel this is not the forum for us to discuss your dislike. And seeing as how you don't particularly supportive or impressed with females singing then perhaps here is not the place for you.

And although I am not a Jagger or Tyler fan particularly I can see their efforts for the valuable contribution that they are. And as to Marilyn Manson, well I guess it just goes to show that we do not share the same opinions, so again I guess if you really want to go at this, why not post a thread somewhere and I will follow you there for the discussion.

I love Heart. I am all for putting forward positive ideas and discussion on women's voices and contribution to rock music. So I'm going to continue to do that here. And I hope you will take those comments in the spirit in which they were made. :)

Oh and just on Heart. Perhaps it might be an idea for you to ask around with other Seattle bands and see just how many of them where influenced by Heart. And how their contribution to Seattle music is not considered small. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Jeanie wrote:
    She's from Idol? :o

lol no no. She has a song that makes fun of Australian Idol:)
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Jeanie wrote:
    I agree the 80s sucked from a Heart perspective!! Can't help wondering if they had to go with what the market dictated at the time. But yes, Magic Man and Barracuda are definitely rock goddess!! :D As is Bebe Le Strange, and their cover of Led Zepplin's Rock Rock and Roll is inspired!!

Heart has as much as admitted that they let the labels lead them around in the '80s. They were such a powerhouse ROCK band until they were made over. Look at the writing credits on most of the '80s crap they put out and you'll see that they didn't even write most of it. They've put that aside, and have been doing their own thing on their own terms for a few years now. A definite return to their roots. And their live shows are great. In addition to covering Zep's Rock & Roll, they do Misty Mountain Hop, Black Dog, and Battle of Evermore. Also, last tour they were covering some Petty and Who which is cool. I was at a show a couple of years ago in Seattle at the Sky Church in the EMP and Mike McCready joined them for a blistering rendition of Rock n Roll and Barracuda. Kick ass.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr wrote:
    Heart has as much as admitted that they let the labels lead them around in the '80s. They were such a powerhouse ROCK band until they were made over. Look at the writing credits on most of the '80s crap they put out and you'll see that they didn't even write most of it. They've put that aside, and have been doing their own thing on their own terms for a few years now. A definite return to their roots. And their live shows are great. In addition to covering Zep's Rock & Roll, they do Misty Mountain Hop, Black Dog, and Battle of Evermore. Also, last tour they were covering some Petty and Who which is cool. I was at a show a couple of years ago in Seattle at the Sky Church in the EMP and Mike McCready joined them for a blistering rendition of Rock n Roll and Barracuda. Kick ass.

You've seen them live jeff? OMG I'm sooooooooooooooo jealous!!
    And with Mike? ARRGHH!! :mad: I can't believe the things I miss!!! So not fair!!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift