Revelations

Comments

• PJammin' wrote:
    come on, Your Time Has Come sounds NOTHING like Cochise.

maybe you'll just have to accept that they aren't for U. let them Go.

Now I'm a big 'Slave fan...but the Your Time Has Come riff is the Cochise riff cut in half. Why Tom Morello of all people felt the need to recycle a riff is beyond me, but he did it and there's no denying it.
  • PJammin' wrote:
    maybe you'll just have to accept that they aren't for U. let them Go.

See, I'm a fan of both camps, SG and RATM and listening to them over the years, it's not unfair to have some expectations of this supposed magical pairing. This potentially could have been THE supergroup...there is such a huge pool of talent there...why they have largely ignored such talent and seemingly settled for mediocrity is just a shame. That's really what it comes down to.

I figured they would need a few albums to get their sound developed and to go forward creatively...with Out of Exile it was a small step forward (case in point being "#1 Zero")...and with Revelations..not really a step anywhere apart from the 2 tracks I mentioned earlier. And yeah now I wonder if there is anything left. Maybe Cornell's just happy to cash it in and have his little family, as are the rest of the guys. I know they're getting older and you can't 'rage against the machine' forever right...I guess I was naive to think those guys wouldn't be the sort of people to just settle for whatever's easy.
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:

Wow Rhinocerous Surprise. I must say that review of yours is very respectable. I can't say that I agree with every single part of it but I definitely think you got your point across nicely. At this point in my compulsive listening I HAVE actually had a Revelation and I must disagree with you about the songs falling short. It's taken me some time (which I think is a great thing!) but I reeeeeally feel now that there are quite a few STAND OUT tracks.

I agree with you that Tim and Brad have really excelled themselves with the rhythms this time around. Yes! Timmy's funky bass work is especially blowing me away. :D As far as Tom, well...it's Tom! He hasn't changed but has he ever? This is what he does ya know? The man sure is consistent with his style and I can't say that I'm at all let down by that. I'm majorly diggin his groove on this album! Listening to Sound Of A Gun and One in The Same both make me smile as I'm rockin out cuze they are just soooooo Morello. I love it! Are his solos lacking though? Well I admit that I think the Original Fire one is a complete joke, but other than that I don't think so. He's just doing what he does. He's never tried to be the techy one. It's more of a groove and style with him and I think he's always dead on with it. I think he sounds kick ass....just what I was expecting.

That's the thing....

I think with this album it's actually kinda cool cuze there's a lot of familiarity...and it seems like there are just some basic things that you kinda expect from Audioslave's sound that they always seem to deliver. This album is no different when it comes to that. But at the exact same time...it IS different. Despite all the familiarity, it has taken a few listens to deeply sink it's teeth in me. There's something comforting and fimaliar, but also something that buts up against that and takes some getting use to. For me anyways. This is making each listen really fuckin exciting!! I mean just in today alone I've had songs really grab ahold of me tight and hit me in ways they didn't mere minutes before ya know?!! I think I've listened to MOTH about 100 times!!! :p I only listened to it about 3 times yesterday. Yeps, the teeth have hit my bones! REVELATIONS is digging deep! :D I can't get enough!

Ooh and Rhinocerous Surprise, as far as your last comment. HA! Let's not even go there. You can't possibly compare the 2 but if you're gonna, well come on now! I'm with you on that one....with absolutely zero hestitation. ;)

Thanks for your kind words, Vedhead - your enthusiasm is always inspirational:D

As far as Morello goes, as I said, I would've been one of his defenders. Because on every other AS album, he gave at least one solo that sounded completely different to the others. The Like A Stone solo was so PERFECT, that it just irritates me that there's nothing on this album to match that, imo. On the debut, and Out Of Exile to some extent, you could identify a song by its solo. I don't find that to be true of this album, except maybe for Original Fire (in the worst way possible ;) )

But as I said, it doesn't ruin the album for me - I can sit back and enjoy some good rock songs without focusing too much on the solos.

And - after a couple more listens, I can say that Revelations, Shape of Things to Come, Wide Awake, Nothing Left To Say and Moth ARE beginning to rise above the pack... Just not to the same heights as I might have hoped.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    wow, chuckie lives!!!! He just doesn't write home anymore, LOL!!!!

:)
    hello Lyd.......glad you both are enjoying it like I am......it WILL be a helluva tour next year.........start saving your money NOW!!!!! Chicago awaits ALL of us Audiophiles.....

anyway, wow............there's SO many threads about Audioslave over here.......funny how it pisses some people off........

:):):):):)
  • this is the best of three great albums by audioslave. they are all totally different than eachother and that is good. this one is the best rock album i've heard this year, hands down. shape of things to come may be the best AS song yet.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    this is the best of three great albums by audioslave. they are all totally different than eachother and that is good. this one is the best rock album i've heard this year, hands down. shape of things to come may be the best AS song yet.

listening to Shape Of Things To Come. there is NO DENYING that this is an outstanding song. i have to say, reading all of the negative posts on here before the album came out made me a bit skeptical before i even heard it. i was kind of hesitent....but i have to say that those posts were misleading because this is an album that delivers on all levels for me. Revelations gets better and better and i discover more things i LOVE about the songs each time i listen to it. i can only imagine how they will sound live!
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    Looks like this will turn out to be another album with only like 3-4 memorable tracks...with maybe 2 actually good songs..."Moth" and "Wide Awake".

Oh well, maybe next time...

you keep looking for tracks... we'll keep listening to albums.
    you just don't get it :)
  • PJammin' wrote:
    listening to Shape Of Things To Come. there is NO DENYING that this is an outstanding song. i have to say, reading all of the negative posts on here before the album came out made me a bit skeptical before i even heard it. i was kind of hesitent....but i have to say that those posts were misleading because this is an album that delivers on all levels for me. Revelations gets better and better and i discover more things i LOVE about the songs each time i listen to it. i can only imagine how they will sound live!

i agree completely and think that there are a lot of people enjoying and spreading the work about this album. all the negative commenters had their mind made up before they heard it. i think that when those people give this album a chance all of that will melt away, because there is NO DENYING this album.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Well, I've been listening to this a couple times over today. I do like this album. I liked both of their other records too - and Heaven's Dead is one of my fave songs of the last couple of years.

So: Revelations. I know Cornell's best vocals are behind him, but he carries this record pretty well, even if some (and I stress, SOME) lyrics get a little repetitive. The riffs are suitably funky, and Tim and Brad have really excelled themselves with the rhythms this time around, imo.

HOWEVER.

While this record is solid, there is one thing keeping me from really enjoying it. Tom Morello's solos. I know it pretty much goes without saying at this point, and I would have been one of his defenders before... But at some point, this pony's gotta learn more than the one trick. I could be enjoying any one of these songs (even Original Fire) and then Morello will just turn me right off with more guitar FX wankery. It cheapens the songs, imo, and it means there are no songs here that match the majesty of I Am The Highway, Heaven's Dead, The Curse, Last Remaining Light... Wide Awake and one or two others come close, but fall short, in my estimation.

That said, it IS a good rock record, and sounds completely different to the vast majority of 'rock' bands out there today. If it's a choice between Tom Morello's FX-solos and Panic! At The Disco's general existence, I'm always gonna side with Morello. But similarly, if I could choose between listening to an Audioslave record and a Soundgarden record, well...;)

As much as I love Audioslave, deep down I know it'd be better if Cornell went solo.

My favorite so far is "Sound of a Gun" except that the solo doesn't really fit the song at all.

Revelations, One and the Same, Until We Fall, Wide Awake, and Moth are excellent. Oh, and, Broken City really kicks ass. I just really wish Morello wasn't as gimmicky. The solos on the first record fit, but on occasion on the last two, there have been some solos that were really out of place. The other thing I dislike is that they now have fade out in their songs. Fade outs bug me, and one reason I really got into the first one is because there weren't any, and I gave the record more of a 'live' feel.

As for Cornell, no we won't hear him sing Slaves & Bulldozers or Limo Wreck again, but you'd have to be crazy to think he could still peel the paint of the walls with his voice into his 40s. Face it, singers voices decline with age, they can't help it. Personally, I'd rather hear him *sing* then to hear him do more heavy-metal wailing (which is probably why Soundgarden disbanded in the ifrst place), but that's just me.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    PJammin' wrote:
    even though this disc has the funk, it still has the force they displayed on the first two albums.

There it is! :D Perfectly summed up folks. And again, that added funky flava does truly make for one hell of a ride. Speaking of rides....I just went on a late night bike ride and listened to this baby under the moonlight the entire time. Oh my lord!! :o Even more revealing and amazing! What a bonding experience ! Woooow. The hook is in even deeper!! Kickin it off with this insanely catchy title track that had me swirving my bike all over the place! :DWeeeeeeee! I'm loving this song so much! Then Sound Of Gun had me bobbin and bouncing so much I thought I was gonna bounce myself right off the bike! LOL!!!!! Awww and I had to take my hands off the handles for Until We Fall to just float around. TOO GORGEOUS! I did keep thinking wouldn't it be fitting if I fell right now though. :p hehe. Luckily I didn't. I actually didn't finish listening to the whole thing by the time I got home cuze I was repeating SO many of the tracks. haha. But yeah, that was a beautiful experience. Yet again this amazing album continues to hit me in new ways and continues to be more incredible and kick ass with each listen.

reversedarwinism-YEEEEEEEEEEAH! :D

Rhinocerous Surprise! You are welcome. I'm glad the album is hitting you more. Nice song selection there too. OH damn, MOTH!!!!!!! I can't even begin to count how many times I listened to that one today. :eek: It has become a serious addiction now. Majorly IN LOVE.

*Random observation...the intro to Nothing Left To Say reminds me a little bit of a weird,tweaked out, in no way dead on All Those Yesterdays. Can anyone else hear this?

Oh and my view on the Original Fire solo....I'm just not too hot about it. Ya know I remember reading that even the band thought it was joke of a solo. haha. Anyways, I may have been a tad harsh to call it that but let's just say Original Fire is my Man Or Animal sooooo......
    ;)

Awww hey Momma Toshie! Good to see you. Yes, this thing is kickin me around and funkin me up. I am SO PUMPED for the tour. Experiencing these songs live is gonna take it all to even higher levels! Fuck! Chicago is a must! Yes, as soon as I get outta PJ debt I will start saving. hehe. If Momma wants to give her child daily allowance, that's cool too ya know. ;) HA! All the AS thread drama?? I think it's funny too. :p

ii44- yep, LOVE the song choices. I'm seeing some patterns here. I think that's awesome!

Hey, and Chris is going solo....for an album :D So hell GOD DAMN yes we have that to look forward tol!
    ii44 wrote:

As for Cornell, no we won't hear him sing Slaves & Bulldozers again,

Hmmm but I heard him sing some of that last tour. ;)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • macgyver06 wrote:
    you keep looking for tracks... we'll keep listening to albums.
    you just don't get it :)

hahaaa that is so funny, I'm not 'looking for tracks', I just don't find Audioslave albums to be COHESIVE.

You want to listen to an 'album' that is TRULY an album? Go and listen to 10,000 Days, go and listen to Modern Times. pfft.

What you might not get is that you won't even remember half the tracks on this album in a year's time. With the past 2 AS albums, I just remember about 3-4 tracks from each album...the rest is just some mediocre crap. So yeah, please get off your high horse.
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    hahaaa that is so funny, I'm not 'looking for tracks', I just don't find Audioslave albums to be COHESIVE.

You want to listen to an 'album' that is TRULY an album? Go and listen to 10,000 Days, go and listen to Modern Times. pfft.

What you might not get is that you won't even remember half the tracks on this album in a year's time. With the past 2 AS albums, I just remember about 3-4 tracks from each album...the rest is just some mediocre crap. So yeah, please get off your high horse.

most of the albums i have i cant tell you the names of the songs :) just... no 1. .... no 2.. no.. 10 is reall good :)

that one after the one where he yells at the end! ya!
  • well, i guess i will talk more about this album that i'm really digging. nothing else better to do. i love the funkyness of the allbum. every song is really hitting me. Somedays is superpop and i really like it. the whole album has a funk, pop feel with a singing, screaming cornell and pretty inventive and experimentle morello. i for one appreciate all of that. the song writing is excellent. cornell is obviously not down and depressed anymore and he is on top of HIS game. I think that is one area that might turn off some people. i understand them wishing it was negative. i love this album and Out of Exile. its like cornell has found a unique way to really rock out semi-postive tunes. and his songwriting is the best as always. i will always have the soundgarden and audioslave no. 1 for the negative. i expect cornell solo album to be different than morning euphoria, but really f-ing good.
  • are there any dates out there for the cornell solo record?
    Not yet farfromglorified.

Aw reversedarwinism, I could not agree with you more! :) I LOVE seeing this positive side of Chris. He's really been saved by love and it's just so damn beautiful. The man really is on top of his game in every single way and I love feeling, hearing and seeing his happiness and love shine through in everything he's doing.

Speaking of which, here's a perfect example. This beauty is getting LOTSA, LOTSA spins from me today. What a sweet ass song! :o Really tugs at my heart. I'm majorly feeling the love here. And how about the holy voice?! *chills all over* I can hardly stand how ridiculously gorgeous this is! Jesus!!!!!!!
    He sounds like a fucking angel. :o

~Nothing Left To Say But Goodbye~

Just like a rescue of a stray dog in the rain I was
    Hungry when you found me
    And you could tell by my tail and my rib cage what was
    Once around me

I've been chased by a rain cloud
    I was lost and nearly drowned and kicked around
    But now I'm found and I won't run away

Bless your heart you gave me a home and a new start
    And I will leave you never
    Sleep at your feet and stay guard at you're front door
    I will keep things together

I killed myself, threw away my mental health but nobody was blinking an eye
    Backyard, basement, falling on the pavement
    Nothing Left to Say But Goodbye
    Nothing Left to Say But Goodbye

It's true I ran away before but be sure
    I am no tail-chaser
    I know a good thing when it throws me a bone
    I'm you're best friend forever

"Lo√e, you know the word

• i think i have to buy it really ;)
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    i think i have to buy it really ;)

Yes, you have. It's a good album.
    ladygooddiva, there is no thought involved here. ;)
    GO GET IT! :D

VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Bless your heart you gave me a home and a new start
    And I will leave YOU never
    Sleep AT your feet and stay guard at you're front door
    I will keep things together

His voice there?!?! :o *floats away* :o Unbelievable! It keeps making me sigh out loud.
    This man does it like no other!

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Revelations kicks ass. Definitely my favorite so far. If you like the first couple go pick it up, everyone is in fine form on the album.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
    MOTH attack!

Cannot...stop...listening.....

"Lo√e, you know the word

• I love Revelations!! 2nd best album of '06 (behind Pearl Jam of course!!) This album has really spoken to me though. Reminds me of Final Fantasy VII for some reason, the lyrics remind me a lot of Cloud and the story the revolves around his past life (if there are any gamers out there). Just my 2 cents though...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    oooh, more Audioslave love......always so much nicer than the haters on here who can only state their disdain for the boys........fine form, indeed......different times during the day a different song in running in my head......I ripped it to our stores front computer, hooked up to 2 huge ass speakers and since we are a music store, we MUST play music and there it is......MOTH!!!!! Yes Lyd, that song is SO different from anything I ever thought they'd do, I love it love it love it!!!!

funky and bouncy.....can you imagine how much fun it's gonna be to see these songs LIVE????

oy!!!!
    Right on darthvedder88! :D
    I don't know shit about Final Fantasy but I DO know that this album is deeply speaking to me as well. Music is the definitely the universal language my friend. ;)

Toshie! Blasting this in the store? Hell yeah. :D And MOTH?? OMG please. :o I can't even talk about it. haha. I'm such a crack fiend for that song and for this album in general. I know you understand. ;) These songs LIVE? :eek:
    What a tour this next one is gonna be. My god!! Ooooo and I'd LOVE some of these harder new ones thrown up in the mix acoustic too! I mean can I just say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn02eJ1Ak9k

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! :eek:

"Lo√e, you know the word

• :eek: :eek: :eek:

how amazing is wide awake?!?!?! :eek:
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
    Yep! TOO amazing for words! THIS~>:eek:<~ pretty much sums it up. ;)

This chrous gets stuck in my head all the frickin time. I really can't get over how catchy this entire album is! But yeah, this chorus was actually the first thing that popped into my head as soon as I woke up this morning. ;) This was the first thing I 'woke up' to. :D What a seriously bone chilling intense , super powerful song...and at the same time so funky and beautiful. Do we even need to get started on the ending, how he sounds the last time he sings "so I can sleep TOniiiight"??? :o Sweet christ! I have convulsions ever time! And all of this acousitc??? HAAAAAA!!!!!! Again, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!

"Lo√e, you know the word

• his voice in the outro is unreal!

when he screams the "wiiide awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!" it just sends chills through my house, never mind my body! :eek:
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Wow and thanx sooooooooooooooooooo much....................i will allways love chris voice ....he is the best vocalist on this planet(sorry Eddie;))
    and for sure i will buy the record!!!
    anyways he got a son now...all the best wishes for his growing family:)
    Are you thanking me ladygooddiva? If so, you are welcome! hehe. :D Yeah there's no doubt about it that Chris is in a universe all his own. It's just a fact!

jack_bass_player! haha. Your "house"?? :D That's awesome. I so know what you mean though! I have chills in places I didn't even know could...chill. :p That scream AWAKENs alright. ;)

*bows down repeatedly to the HOLY pipes*

"Lo√e, you know the word

• VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Are you thanking me ladygooddiva? If so, you are welcome! hehe. :D Yeah there's no doubt about it that Chris is in a universe all his own. It's just a fact!

jack_bass_player! haha. Your "house"?? :D That's awesome. I so know what you mean though! I have chills in places I didn't even know could...chill. :p That scream AWAKENs alright. ;)

*bows down repeatedly to the HOLY pipes*

sure;) i would have no idear where to search :D thanx;)
    yea more than 100% fact:)
  • I thought the album was ok. I dont know, the album just didnt do it for me maybe i need to listen to it more. ive only listened to it 3 times. But yeah imo it is their worst album yet. Its got a couple of songs i really like but thats about it.