Revelations

Comments

• i really like pizza, pb&j, pearl jam, and chicken fried steak too, are there any of those that you think i shouldn't?

Chicked fried steak is disgusting. The rest is solid though.

Now, do you have problems with anything I actually wrote?
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    you totally convinced me (eye roll). i did like it but now that i read your post........
    i really like pizza, pb&j, pearl jam, and chicken fried steak too, are there any of those that you think i shouldn't?

''cornells voice is lost on a lot of tracks''

what is that...thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard..
    im still trying to figure out what this means?
  • macgyver06 wrote:
    ''cornells voice is lost on a lot of tracks''

what is that...thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard..
    im still trying to figure out what this means?

It means that his voice doesn't stand out and is often muddled by or inconsistent with the music.
  • Bring on solo Cornell! Euphoria Morning is one of the most underrated records of the 90s.

yes and HELL YES!
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Chicked fried steak is disgusting. The rest is solid though.

Now, do you have problems with anything I actually wrote?
    WTF?
    chicken fried steak disgusting???? i think i found your essential flaw.

no, i don't have any problems, but i do have a great album to listen to. do you have it, or are you just talking out of a far from glorified body part?
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • nice seinfeld reference macgyver, but I essentially agree with glorified, Audioslave is very limited in terms of range due to the style of the 3 Rage guys. Rage needs to reunite with Zack and let Chris go solo. I cannot wait for his new album and hopefully a tour as well!

i havent heard the new album yet, but i hope its not just a lot of "out of exile" leftovers, because that album was weak, with the exception of maybe 3-4 songs.

did anybody get the new album at Best Buy? If so, whats on the DVD?
    -

• macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    That sounds like a challenge. Here's why this record is sub-par:

Musically, this record is no different than their other offerings and not even as solid as the previous records. It sounds rather thrown together. The hooks are few and far between, the bridges weak and the sound is pretty muddled. While it's nice to see that Marello's gimmicks are kept to a relative minimum, he fails to do anything here that really stands out. Overall the record sounds like a car in need of work....lots of stops and starts without any real progress.

Lyrically, it's too damn repetitive. Cornell's voice is lost on a lot of the tracks. His voice lacks its typical intensity and the stuff that actually gets through is more cliche than prophetic.

Ironically, the only great song on this record is the title track. The rest of it sounds like the occassional filler on the other two records. It's as if someone put together an Audioslave greatest hits record and then as a cruel joke released the songs that were left over.

That said, the album does have some good grooves. Other than "Jewel of the Summertime", there isn't anything here that is completely unlistenable. "Moth" and "Wide Awake" are lyrically solid. But after the first track every other song seems to scream "skip button". Unfortunately there's nothing really engaging to skip to.

''Musically, this record is no different than their other offerings and not even as solid as the previous records''
    - musically they are the same band? the riffs are different.. compare with tabs.... offerings not solid... i dont know what that means..the rest of the paragraph seems as if you know them or have some kind of grudge?

2ND PARAGRAPH - repetition is usually used to make a point clear... repeating feeds intensity..prophets create cliches. so that point is not 'solid'

3rd paragraph - use of irony is incorrect.. so this paragraph is void.

rest - records are played str8 through..not skip around...
  • i like it.
    that said, i think their 2nd album is their strongest. first one was good, but they were finding their way, getting comfortable together....second one they hit their groove, really tight and cohesive album...thirsd, good and solid, but not as challenging, bit 'phoned'in'. however, i still enjoy it. me, i LOVED rage, soundgarden not so much altho i definitely liked some of their stuff, so for me...audioslave is the first time i REALLY like what chris cornell is doing. however, i have read enough that i definitely want to pick up his solo album and check it out. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    lowlight10 wrote:

did anybody get the new album at Best Buy? If so, whats on the DVD?

got the cd at best buy. it comes with the 16 minute dvd filmed by danny clinch. i also purchaced a four song live audioslave cd and it took about two dollars off of Revelations. so the cd, dvd, plus the four live songs came to $12.98. :D

the dvd has interviews with the band talking about the album, how they recorded it, their inspirations and influences, living in l.a., and the state of the world. good stuff. oh, and it shows cornell tripping when he comes out of a door with the band as they head down a flight of stairs. :D i liked watching the dvd...NOW ON TO THE CD!
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • PJammin' wrote:
    got the cd at best buy. it comes with the 16 minute dvd filmed by danny clinch. i also purchaced a four song live audioslave cd and it took about two dollars off of Revelations. so the cd, dvd, plus the four live songs came to $12.98. :D

the dvd has interviews with the band talking about the album, how they recorded it, their inspirations and influences, living in l.a., and the state of the world. good stuff. oh, and it shows cornell tripping when he comes out of a door with the band as they head down a flight of stairs. :D i liked watching the dvd...NOW ON TO THE CD!

thanks for the info. no live performances??? :(
    -

• PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    lowlight10 wrote:
    thanks for the info. no live performances??? :(

they show some footage of them performing some songs, but nothing in a live setting. looks more like a video.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • however, i have read enough that i definitely want to pick up his solo album and check it out. :)

Go buy it, go buy it now D2D you need this album its a masterpiece of epic proportions Euphoria Morning is like an audio version of the best sex you ever have experienced, combined with the best food you ever tasted.
    It's that good.:)
    I like Revelations it's a solid record feels very coherant and flows well.
    Until We Sleep is beautifull.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • macgyver06 wrote:
    ''Musically, this record is no different than their other offerings and not even as solid as the previous records''
    - musically they are the same band? the riffs are different.. compare with tabs.... offerings not solid... i dont know what that means..the rest of the paragraph seems as if you know them or have some kind of grudge?

I have no grudge with Audioslave. The only thing I disliked about their previous records was the overuse of Marello's guitar gimmicks. While that's toned down in this record there's really nothing to replace them. The rythyms on this record are reminiscent of the more boring songs on Audioslave and Out of Exile. A lot of these songs sound like Gasoline, Bring Em Back Alive, Drown Me Slowly, and Man and Animal. Filler songs overshadowed by much better works. The problem here is that there aren't those better works. The mediocre dominates.
    2ND PARAGRAPH - repetition is usually used to make a point clear... repeating feeds intensity..prophets create cliches. so that point is not 'solid'

Ok, but how clear do you have to make lines like this:

"A jewel of the summertime "

or

"Love and pain / one in the same"

Repeating lines like that doesn't "increase intensity". There's no intensity there in the first place. They're phoned in.
    3rd paragraph - use of irony is incorrect.. so this paragraph is void.

You don't find it ironic that a record titled revelationS has not a single revelation to offer?
    rest - records are played str8 through..not skip around...

Records are played straight through! Good ones, that is. This doesn't feel like a good record. It feels like a bunch of songs thrown together haphazardly. There's really no flow here, no up and down that really made Out of Exile a truly good record despite some really weak songs. There are no surprises here like "Dandelion"/"The Curse" or "Getaway Car".

Out of Exile was a semi-destinct follow up to Audioslave. While it had more similarities than differences, it felt like it's own record (like VS compared to Ten). I wasn't expecting this record to be Audioslave's No Code, but I was expecting at least something new here. All we seem to have been given was a rehash of their weaker past.
  • WTF?
    chicken fried steak disgusting???? i think i found your essential flaw.

I had no idea that disliking chicken fried steak could be considered "essentially" anything ;)

I'll have to ponder that.
    no, i don't have any problems, but i do have a great album to listen to. do you have it, or are you just talking out of a far from glorified body part?

No, I'm typing.
  • however, i have read enough that i definitely want to pick up his solo album and check it out. :)

Do it. Do it now.
  • I had no idea that disliking chicken fried steak could be considered "essentially" anything ;)

I'll have to ponder that.

No, I'm typing.

you ponder i'll be eating CFS, mashed potatoes (mine are the best, i'll put them up next to anybodies) and green beans (from frozen, of course) covered in cream gravy (from the instant pack, cause i suck at gravy). and i agree that decides2dream should pick up morning euphoria, you won't be dissapointed. dissapointed like i would be if farfromglorified came to my house and didn't enjoy my supper with revelation playing on the stereo.
  • 1,056 audioslave thread in a week and counting.... (hope no one stole my joke)..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME!!! This song completely OWNS the entire album for me. I am obsessed with this sick ass badboy. I remember a month or so back someone posted a 10 second clip of it online, from Miami Vice. I downloaded that thing and listened to it non-stop! Just from a 10 second clip I was already convinced that this would be my fav song from the album...and I was right. Hands down this is the one. l fuckin LOVE IT!!!!!

At this point Revelations as a whole is a bit of a grower for me, which is ok. Some of my most adored albums have been growers. I've listened about 3 times now and while it continues to get better with each listen, it still isn't fully hitting me like I know it can. I KNOW it can. I mean the title track alone... first listen it wasn't clicking and now by the 3rd it's one of my favs. I can't get it outta my head. There are a TON of super catchy grooves going on here.

Overall I think it's a kick ass solid album...and I look forward to it reeeeally punching me in the face. :D

I'm love love lovin...

*Until We Fall* ~*Revelations* ~*The Shape of things to come*!

Oooh, did we all see this????
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSIm5p5lLmk
    :o:o:o

SOOOO insanely GORGEOUS!!! It makes me wanna cry!!

Regardless of how others feel about him, CORNELL remains completely untouchable imo. :o The man is not of this earth and the voice continues to get me like NO other.

And YES YES YES! SOLO CORNELL! I am soooooo beyond excited for this. Like...PJ excited! :D:D:D

i agree with you that shape of things to come is the best track so far. its hitting me pretty good right now, and i too am excited about a solo cornell. was listening to morning euphoria this morning.
  • I'm only on the third song now...but i'm loving it so far.
  • i want really impressed with it, but after listenting to it again for a few times, it is definitely a grower and is a very good album, very, very funky with a lot of catchy tunes. at the moment only jewel of the summertime and broken city are the 2 cant get into.

Revelations , Sound Of A Gun, Until We Fall , Original Fire, Somedays, Shape Of Things To Come and Wide Awake are the best songs.

But you cant top their debut, that is 1 fucking awesome album. Out of exile was brilliant as well. though in my opinion its their worst album, thats saying something as it is very good and is definitely better than most other rock shit out these days.
    ...Pearl Jam, a group filled with pride, passion, and intricate musicianship. Their music is full of subtle textures, rich color, soul-searching power, imagery, and eerie dissonance.
  • PJammin' wrote:

Don't know if it was planned but chris falling out the door was hilarious.
    It was also cool to hear him talk about how he used to record all of his vocals by himself, engineer it himself and not let anyone else in the studio. This record he did it with Brendan O'Brien producing/engineering.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    What?! haha. Oh man I have GOT to see that DVD!
    Thanks for the details Chuckie. :)

I've been listening to Until We Fall on repeat for quite awhile now. *sigh*
    So much beauty. :o Major I am the Highway vibes. The 2 are close relatives no doubt.

reversedarwinism, glad you know what I'm talking about. That is THE song right there!

I still need to listen to the entire album the whole way through again but I've just been basically having a Until We Fall & Shape of Things to Come repeat party. :p:D
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Tom Morello IS his gimmicks ... Thats what he does. Without them, you're left with ... dull. Now, I actually really like oddball guitar effects. Love them. But I like players who can do that stuff let still play other styles ... Trey Anastasio jumps to mind, but I am sure there are many others. People who are super-creative with effects yet who can also play more straight-up blues or rock stuff as well. Tom Morello has never done it for me, I guess.
  • aww man!! I was at the store today and NONE of the albums had a DVD. I gotta look into this. Betcha we Canadians are getting it late.

Gotta look into this 4 live song cd thing too. Hmmmm
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Why are the Audioslave fans so upset over the negative reviews? No one's trying to change your mind, they're just stating their opinion. People who don't like it aren't opposed to change, they are opposed to bad music, or what they hear as bad music. I haven't heard the new record, but I don't think the single is very good, nor do I care for most of the first and second albums.
    You don't have to call people names and get offended, you can respectfully disagree.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • everyone just open up your ears...give it a chance. im a huge audioslave fan and i even had to give out of exile a few tries. good stuff on this album though. wow.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • 7 Audioslave threads in the first page. Whoo, I guess I can be a prophet then. I told everyone there'd be a lot of Audioslave today, haha.
  • mike_s_6 wrote:
    7 Audioslave threads in the first page. Whoo, I guess I can be a prophet then. I told everyone there'd be a lot of Audioslave today, haha.
    and now we wait for the 9 audioslave hate threads that will spawn tomorrow :p
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I've seen a lot of artists, popular and local, write songs about New Orleans, and I've grown a bit tired and skeptical of it. It seems like it's a easy topic and the government is an easy target for a song (even though I agree wholeheartedly). It just seems like it's been done a lot and very few times successfully. Having said that, I was skeptical of Wide Awake but I was pleased that it turned out to be pretty good. I though the lyrics to the chorous were pretty fresh and decent. Good music too, good riffing.
  • All the fanboys that are pissed about the guy who wrote that he didn't think the album was very good need to relax.

I'm kind of 'meh' on the album, but its audioslave...........'meh' is their middle name.