Revelations

Comments

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    All the fanboys that are pissed about the guy who wrote that he didn't think the album was very good need to relax.

I'm kind of 'meh' on the album, but its audioslave...........'meh' is their middle name.

agreed, I liked the first record and tried so goddamn hard to like out of exile but just couldn't. I listened to the new one at work over the weekend like 2-3 times and there simply is nothing there. I love Morello and in RATM the riffs were just massive but here they simply aren't. Not that Audioslave haven't been great at times I mean Cochise is such a sick song but this album even the songs that rock don't well...rock. One and the same is cool but nothing else caught my ear and as much as I want to just "giver" I know I won't because I simply don't think it's worth the effort to like this album. Some albums grow on you and get better and better (Actung Baby!) lots seem great at first but get boring but audioslave for the last two albums has just been treading water and that's all this is, not drowning but certainly not going anywhere.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    by this point, you're either going to love or hate audioslave. three albums in are enough to know whether they do it for U. i simply love them and nobody can change the feeling i get from what they offer ME. express your opinions freely, everybody has that right. also, i don't know how so many can make a quick decision on an album. for me, it takes a long time to digest the album as a whole. at this time i don't know how to compare it to the first two. it's too early to tell. anyway, I FOR ONE, am glad audioslave are making music. :)
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • audioslave are a good but not amazing band imo.

i always enjoy their singles and a couple of deep cuts but overall their albums drag.

hopefully cornell's new solo album will be better than audioslave. his first solo album was inspired and underrated.
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Well, I dunno if I bother to pick up this album. If farfromglorified is right, and it is weaker than Out Of Exile (which I thought was indistinct and unremarkable apart from perhaps 2 songs) I wont bother. I liked their first, and thought it had potential. Some killer tracks like Cochise, Show Me How To Live, Set It Off and Like A Stone held promise of something good. The promise have failed to be kept imo.

ffg's review of this record looks somewhat like my review of OOE. This record may be ok, but with a record collection nearing 300 titles, I have no room for "ok" cds anymore. I want good cds that I won't forget after spinning them for 2 weeks.

Now I'm not ripping on all of you who liked this cd, that I havent even heard yet. I am talking for me first and foremost. I also see no reason to attack farfromglorified for giving a rather detailed description of what he doesn't like about this record. Because you dont see it the same way, doesn't invalidate his position.

I can even draw a lot of flak my way by saying that I dont think the last Pearl Jam is among their best either. :o I like the fast songs that starts it off, but the slower songs are indistinct and far below what they have done before with such songs. It's catchier and more radiofriendly than previous releases. And the songs are a bit looser and simpler. All good. But they have done better. That being said, I still will call it a "good" cd.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Well, I dunno if I bother to pick up this album. If farfromglorified is right, and it is weaker than Out Of Exile (which I thought was indistinct and unremarkable apart from perhaps 2 songs) I wont bother. I liked their first, and thought it had potential. Some killer tracks like Cochise, Show Me How To Live, Set It Off and Like A Stone held promise of something good. The promise have failed to be kept imo.

ffg's review of this record looks somewhat like my review of OOE. This record may be ok, but with a record collection nearing 300 titles, I have no room for "ok" cds anymore. I want good cds that I won't forget after spinning them for 2 weeks.

Now I'm not ripping on all of you who liked this cd, that I havent even heard yet. I am talking for me first and foremost. I also see no reason to attack farfromglorified for giving a rather detailed description of what he doesn't like about this record. Because you dont see it the same way, doesn't invalidate his position.

I can even draw a lot of flak my way by saying that I dont think the last Pearl Jam is among their best either. :o I like the fast songs that starts it off, but the slower songs are indistinct and far below what they have done before with such songs. It's catchier and more radiofriendly than previous releases. And the songs are a bit looser and simpler. All good. But they have done better. That being said, I still will call it a "good" cd.

Peace
    Dan

Dude just download the leak, see what you think and if you like it buy it, if not delete it.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Dude just download the leak, see what you think and if you like it buy it, if not delete it.

I probably will.

My post was as much a defense of farfromglorified's position, and a pre-asessment from me that it doesn't sound too good from the reviews I've seen.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • I probably will.

My post was as much a defense of farfromglorified's position, and a pre-asessment from me that it doesn't sound too good from the reviews I've seen.

Peace
    Dan

Thats cool my personal opinion is that I enjoyed it, it feels like it has a solid consistant flow to it, it's got a coherant feel to it which I felt the last two albums did'nt have, they felt like a collection of songs put together where as this feels like they have a theme flowing from song to song.:)
    That been said it's nothing groundbreaking neither.
  • Thats cool my personal opinion is that I enjoyed it, it feels like it has a solid consistant flow to it, it's got a coherant feel to it which I felt the last two albums did'nt have, they felt like a collection of songs put together where as this feels like they have a theme flowing from song to song.:)
    That been said it's nothing groundbreaking neither.

That's what I'm fearing. ;)
    I think the first record had the great tracks, amid filler. The second had better flow, but no tracks to speak of. I fear this one's kinda like that too, as you have indicated. I'm not saying it's gonna suck ass totally, but I fear it's "nothing groundbreaking" and a record I tire of after 5 spins.

Peace
    Dan

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    you know the only person's opinion of the album that counts is your own. the music you get off on is the music you get off on...no one else. i'll admit audioslave hasn't exactly my world ablaze but because i've lived with these guys' music for such a long time, i will give them the benefit of the doubt every single time. so when i listen to REVELATIONS tomorrow i will be listening to the little voice inside my head. and only that little voice.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • you know the only person's opinion of the album that counts is your own. the music you get off on is the music you get off on...no one else. i'll admit audioslave hasn't exactly my world ablaze but because i've lived with these guys' music for such a long time, i will give them the benefit of the doubt every single time. so when i listen to REVELATIONS tomorrow i will be listening to the little voice inside my head. and only that little voice.

Bravo.
  • like it or hate it I'm sure Revelations rocks! :)
    "...follow the strangest tribe..." - pj

www.flickr.com/photos/vainch

http://loveanddestruction.blogspot.com/

http://www.davidveentjer.com
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279

I'm kind of 'meh' on the album, but its audioslave...........'meh' is their middle name.

i second that. The only way to describe Audioslave is "middle of the road". Chris Cornell can do so much better!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • I heard it on the internet. I will be buying it soon. Sounds pretty groovy to me.
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    PJammin' wrote:
    by this point, you're either going to love or hate audioslave. three albums in are enough to know whether they do it for U. i simply love them and nobody can change the feeling i get from what they offer ME. express your opinions freely, everybody has that right. also, i don't know how so many can make a quick decision on an album. for me, it takes a long time to digest the album as a whole. at this time i don't know how to compare it to the first two. it's too early to tell. anyway, I FOR ONE, am glad audioslave are making music. :)

exactly...i think you can love an album through one listen..but you cant hate it through one listen.
  • Not the greatest album but i enjoy it more than "Out of Exile".
  • I like it. It starts out really rockin'. Slows a bit at the end. Cornell's voice is good, lyrics are good, and Morello keeps the guitar loud. I need to give it another listen and see what I really think, but it's good. Definitely glad I've added it to my collection.
    it's going to take time for me to see where this album stands, but i DO know that Wide Awake has hit me with a Morello riff to the jaw. this song is GREAT.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • after 4 whole spins this album has definately moved up for me. i rated it at a 8.5 to 9.0 earlier, now i am saying a 9.5 to a possible 10.0. i will say that its better than avocado. i like avocado, but revelations is doing more for me. the third complete spin was unbelievable, but i thought, "may be its the combination of cough med, muco-somehting, whiskey, and marijuana". so today i heard it all again and revelations is truely EXCELLENT. and that is the best word i have for it. i don't consider it a "brutal" rock record at all. it isn't near as "hard" as the first cd, but it may actually be the best. ya know, this band is real deal. i actually am totally digging everysong on the cd now. even broken city, which kinda reminds me of david bowie's "cracked actor"
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
    it isn't near as "hard" as the first cd, but it may actually be the best. ya know, this band is real deal. i actually am totally digging everysong on the cd now. even broken city, which kinda reminds me of david bowie's "cracked actor"

i agree with U, this album isn't as "hard" as the first one. Out Of Exile wasn't either. Revelations has it's hard moments, but i agree with the band members, it IS funkier and i hear it in the music. it's a bit different but i like how it sounds. each spin of this new album is revealing that it's a truly great cd for me. i knew U couldn't Go wrong with brendan o'brien. :)
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Couldn't agree with you more Chuckie..about everything you've posted in here really. And macgyver06, perfectly said. It's true.

So yeah...just as I suspected each spin IS totally revealing more and more. It's hitting me and each time it's hitting harder. It's a grower. It really IS a lot funkier (Jewel Of The Summertime!?? :eek: Whooooa!) but that signature AS sound is definitely there. Even so, it IS a lot different than the other 2 albums. The first 2 albums seemed to hit me instantly. Eh, it doesn't really matter when it happens though...only matters that it does. I'm glad Revelations is doing what I knew it would. I KNOW it's only gonna keep getting better too. :)

Today's repeaters....

*MOTH~>What a perfect end to it all. Wheeew! This intro/main riff is fuckin delicious and I can't get that chorus outta my head. Mmm hmm, this one is really getting me now! :o

*One and the Same~>hooky as hell! I remember Tom saying in one interview how this album was gonna kick your ass but also give you a chance to shake it too. :p haha. This kick ass song is a perfect example of that.

*Wide Awake~> Yep....GREAT song! This is the one I heard EVERYONE going off about right away. I'm finally understanding why.

Oooh and...

SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME continues to OWN!
    :D:D:D
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Today's repeaters....

*MOTH~>What a perfect end to it all. Wheeew! This intro/main riff is fuckin delicious and I can't get that chorus outta my head. Mmm hmm, this one is really getting me now! :o

*One and the Same~>hooky as hell! I remember Tom saying in one interview how this album was gonna kick your ass but also give you a chance to shake it too. :p haha. This kick ass song is a perfect example of that.

*Wide Awake~> Yep....GREAT song! This is the one I heard EVERYONE going off about right away. I'm finally understanding why.

Oooh and...

SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME continues to OWN!
    :D:D:D
    I truly do appreciate a ROCK album that can make you bob your head as if you were heading to the club!

Wide Awake...they did it just right. Right up to the final note.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • I finally got the chance to pick it up..halfway through the first listen..and holy shit, this little gem is lovin up something fierce! I'm loooving what i hear so far! Larger review once i finish the first listening..OH MY GOD! Shape of Things to Come came on and wow..*breath-stopping*..omg! soooo lovin this! :D
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Well, I've been listening to this a couple times over today. I do like this album. I liked both of their other records too - and Heaven's Dead is one of my fave songs of the last couple of years.

So: Revelations. I know Cornell's best vocals are behind him, but he carries this record pretty well, even if some (and I stress, SOME) lyrics get a little repetitive. The riffs are suitably funky, and Tim and Brad have really excelled themselves with the rhythms this time around, imo.

HOWEVER.

While this record is solid, there is one thing keeping me from really enjoying it. Tom Morello's solos. I know it pretty much goes without saying at this point, and I would have been one of his defenders before... But at some point, this pony's gotta learn more than the one trick. I could be enjoying any one of these songs (even Original Fire) and then Morello will just turn me right off with more guitar FX wankery. It cheapens the songs, imo, and it means there are no songs here that match the majesty of I Am The Highway, Heaven's Dead, The Curse, Last Remaining Light... Wide Awake and one or two others come close, but fall short, in my estimation.

That said, it IS a good rock record, and sounds completely different to the vast majority of 'rock' bands out there today. If it's a choice between Tom Morello's FX-solos and Panic! At The Disco's general existence, I'm always gonna side with Morello. But similarly, if I could choose between listening to an Audioslave record and a Soundgarden record, well...;)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    so......one listen thus far and as of now i am yet to form an opinion. there are some things i hear that i like and there are things that i don't.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I know where you're at right now catefrances. I was there too. I really do think the first listen of this does NOT do it any kinda justice. I'm curious to hear what you'll think of it as those spins continue. :) To tell you the truth there are still a few songs that aren't getting me...but that's ok. Not every song ends up getting me even with my fav bands ya know? I mean even with Out Of Exile , Man or Animal never really completely won me over and still hasn't. Whateva. It happens. :p The focus is what DOES hit you. That's all that matters.

Wow Rhinocerous Surprise. I must say that review of yours is very respectable. I can't say that I agree with every single part of it but I definitely think you got your point across nicely. At this point in my compulsive listening I HAVE actually had a Revelation and I must disagree with you about the songs falling short. It's taken me some time (which I think is a great thing!) but I reeeeeally feel now that there are quite a few STAND OUT tracks.

I agree with you that Tim and Brad have really excelled themselves with the rhythms this time around. Yes! Timmy's funky bass work is especially blowing me away. :D As far as Tom, well...it's Tom! He hasn't changed but has he ever? This is what he does ya know? The man sure is consistent with his style and I can't say that I'm at all let down by that. I'm majorly diggin his groove on this album! Listening to Sound Of A Gun and One in The Same both make me smile as I'm rockin out cuze they are just soooooo Morello. I love it! Are his solos lacking though? Well I admit that I think the Original Fire one is a complete joke, but other than that I don't think so. He's just doing what he does. He's never tried to be the techy one. It's more of a groove and style with him and I think he's always dead on with it. I think he sounds kick ass....just what I was expecting.

That's the thing....

I think with this album it's actually kinda cool cuze there's a lot of familiarity...and it seems like there are just some basic things that you kinda expect from Audioslave's sound that they always seem to deliver. This album is no different when it comes to that. But at the exact same time...it IS different. Despite all the familiarity, it has taken a few listens to deeply sink it's teeth in me. There's something comforting and fimaliar, but also something that buts up against that and takes some getting use to. For me anyways. This is making each listen really fuckin exciting!! I mean just in today alone I've had songs really grab ahold of me tight and hit me in ways they didn't mere minutes before ya know?!! I think I've listened to MOTH about 100 times!!! :p I only listened to it about 3 times yesterday. Yeps, the teeth have hit my bones! REVELATIONS is digging deep! :D I can't get enough!

Ooh and Rhinocerous Surprise, as far as your last comment. HA! Let's not even go there. You can't possibly compare the 2 but if you're gonna, well come on now! I'm with you on that one....with absolutely zero hestitation. ;)

"Lo√e, you know the word

SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME!!!

AH I'm sorry to do this again but this song just came on and I can't help it! :D I must express my obsessive love yet again! I love how it's starts out with a slow bang! Isn't this intro disgustingly awesome! You're hooked right from the start. Your neck instantly possessed! Then it gets all slow and hypnotic (Chris you sound SO damn beeeeeeautiful!!! The melody here?? :o *gets lost in the beauty*)...then the chrous comes crashing upside your head, picks you up tosses you around some... then slowly lowers you and BAM...oozes back into the trance. UHHH! It's sexy, funky, rockin and beautiful all at once. WHAT A RIDE! :D Mmmmm this riff?! The voice!?! The breakdown! Ok EVERYTHING! FUCK! This song is AMAZINGLY SICK!!

*slow mo headbangs*

It's just one of the greatest AS songs ever written.
    EVER!
    It helps to get it out.
    ;)

I cannot WAIT to experience this sickness live!

Revelation haters...can you honestly deny this one?? :eek:

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Looks like this will turn out to be another album with only like 3-4 memorable tracks...with maybe 2 actually good songs..."Moth" and "Wide Awake".

Oh well, maybe next time...
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    I know where you're at right now catefrances. I was there too. I really do think the first listen of this does NOT do it any kinda justice. I'm curious to hear what you'll think of it as those spins continue. :) To tell you the truth there are still a few songs that aren't getting me...but that's ok. Not every song ends up getting me even with my fav bands ya know? I mean even with Out Of Exile , Man or Animal never really completely won me over and still hasn't. Whateva. It happens. :p The focus is what DOES hit you. That's all that matters.

Wow Rhinocerous Surprise. I must say that review of yours is very respectable. I can't say that I agree with every single part of it but I definitely think you got your point across nicely. At this point in my compulsive listening I HAVE actually had a Revelation and I must disagree with you about the songs falling short. It's taken me some time (which I think is a great thing!) but I reeeeeally feel now that there are quite a few STAND OUT tracks.

I agree with you that Tim and Brad have really excelled themselves with the rhythms this time around. Yes! Timmy's funky bass work is especially blowing me away. :D As far as Tom, well...it's Tom! He hasn't changed but has he ever? This is what he does ya know? The man sure is consistent with his style and I can't say that I'm at all let down by that. I'm majorly diggin his groove on this album! Listening to Sound Of A Gun and One in The Same both make me smile as I'm rockin out cuze they are just soooooo Morello. I love it! Are his solos lacking though? Well I admit that I think the Original Fire one is a complete joke, but other than that I don't think so. He's just doing what he does. He's never tried to be the techy one. It's more of a groove and style with him and I think he's always dead on with it. I think he sounds kick ass....just what I was expecting.

That's the thing....

I think with this album it's actually kinda cool cuze there's a lot of familiarity...and it seems like there are just some basic things that you kinda expect from Audioslave's sound that they always seem to deliver. This album is no different when it comes to that. But at the exact same time...it IS different. Despite all the familiarity, it has taken a few listens to deeply sink it's teeth in me. There's something comforting and fimaliar, but also something that buts up against that and takes some getting use to. For me anyways. This is making each listen really fuckin exciting!! I mean just in today alone I've had songs really grab ahold of me tight and hit me in ways they didn't mere minutes before ya know?!! I think I've listened to MOTH about 100 times!!! :p I only listened to it about 3 times yesterday. Yeps, the teeth have hit my bones! REVELATIONS is digging deep! :D I can't get enough!

Ooh and Rhinocerous Surprise, as far as your last comment. HA! Let's not even go there. You can't possibly compare the 2 but if you're gonna, well come on now! I'm with you on that one....with absolutely zero hestitation. ;)
    few quick comments. it takes me a long time to make a final judgement on the cd as a whole. i agree, Man Or Animal never hit me either on Out Of Exile, either did Bring 'Em Back Alive on the first cd. some songs just DON'T ever come around. just like Wishlist from PJ for me. i know that the majority of the material on Revelations is hitting me though. songs on this cd are just as great as their past favorites of mine. the riffs and grooves are exceptionally strong to me. there's no falling short on my side. as far as morello, he does what he does and i expected it. U know what your going to get with his sound. like VEDHEAD said, it's what he does. it's his particular style. U can't expect to pick up the new cd and think he's going to all of a sudden change his style on guitar. i don't think the Original Fire solo is a joke. listening over the solos i see how they fit for the particular song and i enjoy what he brings to the table. he is in the forefront and it's what makes Audioslave who they are. anyway, what i'm trying to say is Audioslave is always going to have the "morello sound" so it should be no surprise when U hear this new disc. even though this disc has the funk, it still has the force they displayed on the first two albums.
  • That sounds like a challenge. Here's why this record is sub-par:

Musically, this record is no different than their other offerings and not even as solid as the previous records. It sounds rather thrown together. The hooks are few and far between, the bridges weak and the sound is pretty muddled. While it's nice to see that Marello's gimmicks are kept to a relative minimum, he fails to do anything here that really stands out. Overall the record sounds like a car in need of work....lots of stops and starts without any real progress.

Lyrically, it's too damn repetitive. Cornell's voice is lost on a lot of the tracks. His voice lacks its typical intensity and the stuff that actually gets through is more cliche than prophetic.

Ironically, the only great song on this record is the title track. The rest of it sounds like the occassional filler on the other two records. It's as if someone put together an Audioslave greatest hits record and then as a cruel joke released the songs that were left over.

That said, the album does have some good grooves. Other than "Jewel of the Summertime", there isn't anything here that is completely unlistenable. "Moth" and "Wide Awake" are lyrically solid. But after the first track every other song seems to scream "skip button". Unfortunately there's nothing really engaging to skip to.

Thanks you pretty much summed up what I was going to write. As I mentioned on another forum...it's nice that the album opens and closes with a good song...so the perception will be better (simple psychology)...which lends support to my theory as to why Out of Exile was so shittily received...awful opening and closing tracks. (And please don't try to defend that cochise-rehashed annoying Your Time Has Come).

Both albums in terms of lyrics, performance etc. are pretty much the same, the last one was just more bluesy than this.

I say again...this is once again an album with like a handful of genuinely good (and memorable) songs. Maybe I'll just have to accept that Cornell's sound will never quite gel with Morello & company apart from a sparse few occassions. Maybe they know this too...
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
    (And please don't try to defend that cochise-rehashed annoying Your Time Has Come).

come on, Your Time Has Come sounds NOTHING like Cochise.

Maybe I'll just have to accept that Cornell's sound will never quite gel with Morello & company apart from a sparse few occassions. Maybe they know this too...

maybe you'll just have to accept that they aren't for U. let them Go.