Options

Best Drummer Of All Time

Comments

• Options
    john henry bonham, (watch how the west was won). bill bruford w/genesis (seconds out) and with king crimson (thrak), billy martin from medeski martin and wood, barret martin (tuatara) and danny carey.
    look into the eyes of the fallen.....you got to know there's another..another..another..another..way.
  • Options
    clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 322
    Right now I think its Jon Theodore and Patrick Hallahan
  • Options
    mpg82mpg82 Posts: 83
    Neil Peart
    6/26/98, 6/27/98, 06/13/99, 10/08/00, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/29/06, 6/30/06, 5/7/10
  • Options
    Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    Didn't read all 11 pages so I'm not sure if these guy's have been mentioned but Rodney Holmes and John Molo are 2 of the sickest around right now.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • Options
    pjforever wrote:
    john henry bonham, (watch how the west was won). bill bruford w/genesis (seconds out) and with king crimson (thrak), billy martin from medeski martin and wood, barret martin (tuatara) and danny carey.
    \
    \
    ahh fucking finnaly someone who knows a few good ones

bruford is a great drummer

I forgot to mention carl palmer elp/asia

but tell me that tuatara isnt fucking fabulous
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    Bob Weir wrote:
    Didn't read all 11 pages so I'm not sure if these guy's have been mentioned but Rodney Holmes and John Molo are 2 of the sickest around right now.

I came in here waiting too see you say Dave A.

what bands do these 2 drum in I never heard of them

and the saga still goes

no love for mike portnoy here

he is probably the best drummer ever
    neli peart is great too

I actually listened to portnoy because of an interview I read with peart back in 89 and he said this portnoy character was a prodigy

it took me awhile because dream theater is hard to listen too but this dude is no joke

no more shows
  • Options
    I came in here waiting too see you say Dave A.

what bands do these 2 drum in I never heard of them
    Rodney Holmes is basiclly a studio drummer but currently playes in the Steve Kimock band, and The Jim Weider(the Band) band and has recorded with Santana, David Gilmore and many others.

John Molo is in the bands Moderko and Jemimah Puddleduck, and plays most of the shows with Phil Lesh(the Dead) and friends, also spent years in Bruce Hornsby's band.

You probably won't like any of these bands but these guys are no joke on the drums, and would make a fool of Matt Cameron or Dave A, without breaking a sweat.
  • Options
    Bob Weir wrote:
    Rodney Holmes is basiclly a studio drummer but currently playes in the Steve Kimock band, and The Jim Weider(the Band) band and has recorded with Santana, David Gilmore and many others.

John Molo is in the bands Moderko and Jemimah Puddleduck, and plays most of the shows with Phil Lesh(the Dead) and friends, also spent years in Bruce Hornsby's band.

You probably won't like any of these bands but these guys are no joke on the drums, and would make a fool of Matt Cameron or Dave A, without breaking a sweat.

I told you I was down with the dead. I have been seing lesh for at least 7 years solo.
    Man the o2 summer tour was fucking insane

as far as hornsby he is my fav piano player, and i love his work thouroly

make a fool of matt i dont know, have you ever heard any of his solo shit
    hes pretty talented
    this is why i am so into him

but if these guys drum like portnoy, or bozzio, or baker,than i guess you may have a point
    but i honestly think you should check out the first 2 wellwater cds

i will gladly mail you burnt cds bro

i like mickey hart

no more shows
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Just looked at the first page of this post but Neil Peart(?) seemed to be missing from most lists. Sure Bonzo was great but Neil plays a plaethora of percussion.
    #FHP
  • Options
    EnsignEnsign Posts: 6
    Dave Raun
    Dave Grohl
    Matt Cameron
    Viinnie Paul
    Paul Thompson
    Derrick Plourde
    Nicko McBrain
  • Options
    I told you I was down with the dead. I have been seing lesh for at least 7 years solo.
    Man the o2 summer tour was fucking insane

as far as hornsby he is my fav piano player, and i love his work thouroly

make a fool of matt i dont know, have you ever heard any of his solo shit
    hes pretty talented
    this is why i am so into him

but if these guys drum like portnoy, or bozzio, or baker,than i guess you may have a point
    but i honestly think you should check out the first 2 wellwater cds

i will gladly mail you burnt cds bro

i like mickey hart
    If you have seen Phil then you have see Molo, he was the only drummer Phil used from 2000-2004, actually there is only one short tour I can remember where he didn't use Molo.

As far as Cameron I never said he was anything but great, just not on the same level as these other guys, and until I hear some fusion or jazz from him I'll feel that way.As far as rock drummers go he is one of the best. I've heard the Wellwater cd's and he sounds good but there not my favorite.

..and your right the 2002 Phil tour was sick, any of the tours with Warren,Jimmy Herring,Borraco,and molo(the Q) were amazing, too bad it only lasted a couple years.

another drummer I forgot about and don't think I've seen mentioned yet is Steve Smith, this guy is incredible check out the Vital Techtones with Victor Wooten and Scott Henderson they are an amazing band.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    sheila e. or did she play the bongos??
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    sheila e. or did she play the bongos??
    She definitely plays drums... I don't know enough about her playing to know if she rates as a Best Drummer of All Time though...
    There are thousands of great drummers (really really great players) but only a handful of truly awesome ones... I think all of them have been mentioned in this thread by now.

Keith Moon remains unchallenged as the Best (Rock) Drummer of all time (IMO of course) but has anyone mentioned Josh Freese yet? I saw him with NIN and DEVO and he's fantastic... I mean really fantastic :)
    ... wish the world could go again with love ...
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    She definitely plays drums... I don't know enough about her playing to know if she rates as a Best Drummer of All Time though...
    There are thousands of great drummers (really really great players) but only a handful of truly awesome ones... I think all of them have been mentioned in this thread by now.

Keith Moon remains unchallenged as the Best (Rock) Drummer of all time (IMO of course) but has anyone mentioned Josh Freese yet? I saw him with NIN and DEVO and he's fantastic... I mean really fantastic :)

ok, what's the deal with keith moon?? why is he always considered the greatest drummer. what could he do that no other drummer can do?? was he the fastest or something??
  • Options
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    ok, what's the deal with keith moon?? why is he always considered the greatest drummer. what could he do that no other drummer can do?? was he the fastest or something??

I never understood why he is considered to be so great either, he was fast but he was very sloppy, and many of his fills were out of place and uncalledfor.
  • Options
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    I'm not a musician or even a good rock historian but in my mind, Keith really brought out drums as a solo instrument for rock-n-roll instead of just keeping a steady beat like other drummers of his time and genre. He was not the most technically proficient (that would be Carl Palmer of ELP :)) but he was SO innovative and explosive. He played licks, fills, patterns that no one else could have even imagined and few to this day can create or execute in the same way.
    Just listen to Tommy... that was him at his best, where I think he wanted to prove something to the world before his lifestyle finally caught up with him. Who's Next provides many examples of his greatness too.
    Of course, Keith was lucky to have the most phenomenal rock bassist EVER to keep the song grounded while he went nuts on it. He was a natural talent and a legend in his own time and beyond... that's all I can think of, Box.
  • Options
    I'm not a musician or even a good rock historian but in my mind, Keith really brought out drums as a solo instrument for rock-n-roll instead of just keeping a steady beat like other drummers of his time and genre. He was not the most technically proficient (that would be Carl Palmer of ELP :)) but he was SO innovative and explosive. He played licks, fills, patterns that no one else could have even imagined and few to this day can create or execute in the same way.
    Just listen to Tommy... that was him at his best, where I think he wanted to prove something to the world before his lifestyle finally caught up with him. Who's Next provides many examples of his greatness too.
    Of course, Keith was lucky to have the most phenomenal rock bassist EVER to keep the song grounded while he went nuts on it. He was a natural talent and a legend in his own time and beyond... that's all I can think of, Box.

thanks for that. so i guess he's the most influential drummer of all time. he is to the drumkit what jimi hendrix is to the guitar. am i right??
  • Options
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    thanks for that. so i guess he's the most influential drummer of all time. he is to the drumkit what jimi hendrix is to the guitar. am i right??
    Great analogy, Box... I would definitely agree with that :)
    And I agree, BobW, that Keith was a sloppy drunk... that seems to come with the territory ;):D
  • Options
    Dave, Matt, and Jack :)
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
  • Options
    Great analogy, Box... I would definitely agree with that :)
    And I agree, BobW, that Keith was a sloppy drunk... that seems to come with the territory ;):D
    Don't get me wrong I think Keith is great, but so many great drummers came from that time peiod, I never understood why so many people thought he was the best.
  • Options
    aBoxOfFear wrote:

no

buddy rich

neil peart

moon was insane, and good, but i dont think he did for drums what hendrix did for blues / rock

now im not considering palmer or bruford because they were progressive rock
    just like this guy mike portnoy that nobody is mentioning
    a must hear
    and he is in modern drummer every month one way or another
    so you drummers should know who he is

no more shows
  • Options
    John Bonham
    Danny Carey
    Joey Jordison
  • Options
    gillisgillis Posts: 17
    No contest - John Bonham
    PJ
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    flo from cryptopsy is pretty amazing.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    no

buddy rich

neil peart

moon was insane, and good, but i dont think he did for drums what hendrix did for blues / rock

now im not considering palmer or bruford because they were progressive rock
    just like this guy mike portnoy that nobody is mentioning
    a must hear
    and he is in modern drummer every month one way or another
    so you drummers should know who he is

Yea, Portnoy is great. There are lots of Jazz and fusion drummers who are also fucking awesome. Just some examples are Skoota Warner, Gene Lake, Jojo Mayer, Tobias Ralph. Most of these guys are pretty unheard of, but they are fucking sick. Especially Gene Lake. If anybody gets the oppurtunity to hear him play, seriously, check him out.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    The ones that always stood out to me were Keith Moon, John Bonham, Alex Van Halen and Neil Peart.
  • Options
    I'm sure there is some speed metal drummer out there who is just incredible and can do things no one else can do. But since I don't know that person's name, I'll say Danny Carey. He is unreal sometimes. I think he has 4 arms.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Saturnal wrote:
    I'm sure there is some speed metal drummer out there who is just incredible and can do things no one else can do. But since I don't know that person's name, I'll say Danny Carey. He is unreal sometimes. I think he has 4 arms.

that speed metal drummer is flo from cryptopsy :)

I like danny's drumming a lot too.

Also brann from mastodon is quite good in my book.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Jon Bonham
    Alex VanHalen
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    that speed metal drummer is flo from cryptopsy :)

I like danny's drumming a lot too.

Also brann from mastodon is quite good in my book.

haha there you go. I don't listen to much metal, but I've heard enough to know that some of those drummers are just unbelievable. I think even Danny has said in interviews that he doesn't have as much double-bass skills as some other drummers.