1) Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
2) Keith Moon (The Who)
3) Ginger Baker (Cream)

Please give your opinions on who you think the best drummer of all time is
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CenterCityCenterCity Posts: 193
    is it true that matt cameron's considered one of the best too?
    I need to finish writing.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    John Bonham-virtually invented rock drumming as we know it today.........
    Achilles Last Stand?

Danny Carey-a real student of the instrument, he can do things that nobody else can do

Neil Peart-huge kit seemed like a gimmick to me at first, but he puts it to good use, flat out amazing most of the time

You might wanna edit the question to say "rock drummers". Somebody will eventually come in and say "rock drummers suck compared to jazz drummers", then it becomes a big jazz/rock argument.

I would actually stand by my picks. I havent listened to much jazz, but even the great jazz drummers recognize the greatness of the ones i mentioned.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Danny Carey is the best around at the moment in my opinion, although Matt Cameron's drumming with soundgarden was pretty damn impressive. My favourite drumming song though is Silverfuck by Smashing Pumpkins, Jimmy Chamberlin fucking owns on that song.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    oh dear

buddy rich!!!!

at the moment, jimmy chamberlin
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Jimmy Chamberlin
    Lars Ulrich
    Vinnie Paul
    Matt Sorum
    Dave Lombardo
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    danielheyesdanielheyes Posts: 362
    it is keith moon,its official!

dont worry with the poll anymore keith rocks!!!

seriously though,no one comes close,the guy is/was a genius when it came to tubthumping! no one and i mean NO ONE comes close! there,i said it!!
    When I was born, the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father, I'm very sorry. We did everything we could. But he pulled through......
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,256
    John Bonham
    Danny Carey
    Matt Cameron
    Dave Grohl

Having said Matt Cameron, i still dont think he's suited to Pearl Jam! Jack Irons is PJ's drummer to me :)
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    come on , buddy rich is the best drummer ever, he is a different style to most of the listed but he is the best! no doubt

some other top drummers

matt cameron
    dennis chamber
    dave weckl
    Jimmy chamberlain
    Danny Carey
  • Options
    larslars Posts: 524
    Former helmet drummer John Stanier. He also played for mark of cain and tomahawk
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Hakon Gebhardt.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    dr jamdr jam Posts: 69
    Some of my favourites, and not necessarily "the best", are:

Matt Cameron
    Tré Cool
    Brian Viglione (from Dresden Dolls - a real musical drummer)
    Chad Smith
    Dave Grohl
    Jose Pasillas
    Danny Carey
    Jean Paul Gaster
    Mark Richardson (circa Skunk Anansie)

... but I cannot agree with Lars Ulrich; I've never rated him, and in fact I hate his style.

I'm sure he'll be gutted to hear that. ;)
  • Options
    exolsticeexolstice Posts: 85
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    c'mon people

we all know its Garth
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    sorry thread poster but Lars is a fucking hack. I thought he was awesome for a while too, but then I realised how simplistic most of his drum parts are (especially in the metal world - yes, even Dyers Eve)

so uh the two winners always are

Buddy Rich
    Flo Mournier
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    sorry thread poster but Lars is a fucking hack. I thought he was awesome for a while too, but then I realised how simplistic most of his drum parts are (especially in the metal world - yes, even Dyers Eve)

Buddy Rich
    Flo Mournier

thank you

at least someone thinks buddy too
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    bonham and jimmy chamberlin as far as im concerned. sometimes i put on pumpkins just to listen to chamberlin.
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    shahril wrote:
    bonham and jimmy chamberlin as far as im concerned. sometimes i put on pumpkins just to listen to chamberlin.

you know jimmy released his own album in september, corgan features in one song, though its just jimmy doing his stuff

its amazing
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Max Roach
    Elvin Jones
    Art Blakey
    Buddy Rich
    Danny Richmond

There's five gooduns.
  • Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Chad Sexton of 311
    Carter Beauford of DMB (straight up innovator)
    Neil Peart of Rush
    Matt Cameron of... do i need to?
    Danny Carey of TOOL (This guy plays with the most outrageous style and time signatures that the mind cannot even comprehend)

As good as they are... there are some jazz/funk drummers such as Dennis Chambers out there that the majority of rock drummers can't touch.

Least Favorites...

TRAVIS BARKER SUCKS. Everyone loves this guy... all he does is show off and make up beats for songs that don't even fit. He's a hog of the spotlight and deserves no credit because all he does is play overtop of his band. I can't even name the guy from AC/DC, but he was the man because all he did was lay it down simple. That's something most newer rock musicians have trouble doing because they wanna look Gods.

Lars Ulrich is decent, but he's a complete toolbag.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:

Buddy Rich
    Flo Mournier
    No need to be sorry, everyones entitled to their own opinions.
    I have heard Buddy Rich being rated the greatest of all time but I havent heard a whole lot of his stuff so I cant really give my opinion on that.
    I really like Ginger Baker from Cream. His five minute drum solo for the song Toad is awesome.
    But Lars will still be up there in my books. Im not really too fond of him as a person but I think he has loads of talent on the drums.
  • Options
    I have heard Buddy Rich being rated the greatest of all time but I havent heard a whole lot of his stuff so I cant really give my opinion on that.
    I really like Ginger Baker from Cream. His five minute drum solo for the song Toad is awesome.
    But Lars will still be up there in my books. Im not really too fond of him as a person but I think he has loads of talent on the drums.

I have to agree with Echoes, Lars is a heavy metal Ringo.

What I have heard of Buddy Rich is some good drumming, but he cant be that much better than Bonzo, Carey, and Peart.
  • Options

Yeah not a lot of people have heard a lot of his drum work, but what I've heard has been absolutely spectacular. His cameo on the muppet show was hilarious and amazing at the same time. Drum-off with Animal! he was kind of a control freak asshole at times, though

Flo however, will always be my superman, he has Neil Peart's chops played faster and just as accurately
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Brian Downey and Stewart Copeland aren't too bad.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I have to agree with Echoes, Lars is a heavy metal Ringo.

What I have heard of Buddy Rich is some good drumming, but he cant be that much better than Bonzo, Carey, and Peart.

Better than all three at the same time, on one cymbal, playing quietly. ;)
  • Options
    Better than all three at the same time, on one cymbal, playing quietly. ;)

speaks the truth :D
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Steven Gillis who played on Filter's second and third album is a really impressive drummer too. His background is in jazz drumming, so even when he's playing heavy rock he still has a pretty unique style. Anyone interested in hearing his best work (in my opinion) should check out the Filter song It's gonna kill me, towards the end it's fucking crazy cool!!!
  • Options
    Seriously, am I crazy, or am I severely overrating Danny Carey, John Bonham, and Neil Peart as drummers.

Danny Carey-not the the craziest but has some pretty crazy rhythm shifting, insane foot and hand speed, outrageous cymbal work, pretty innovative

John Bohnam-the only way I know how to describe his playing style, its as loose as somethin that tight can be, again great speed, and what a freakin groove he can set

Neil Peart- a freakin wiz, that all you have to say

All these drummers are very well respected. Bonzo was/is always mentioned with the greats in drum circles. Danny Carey has been welcomed into what seems like a tight circle of elite drummers. Neil Peart has been a drum god for 30 years. Go see Rush and you dont see air guitar, you see air drums. It's great. I have checked out Rich and Billy Cobham, and honestly they didnt blow me away. Granted jazz music isnt my thing really, so maybe it was the context it was presented it, but I can usually appreciate musicianship even if the tune isnt the best.
  • Options
    CenterCityCenterCity Posts: 193
    what the difference between matt cameron soundgarden and matt cameron pearl jam.....how would you sum of the difference in his sound?
    I need to finish writing.
  • Options
    eloesch1eloesch1 Posts: 42
    KEITH MOON- I am disgusted by the lack of posters mentioning the name of this animal

Danny carey, dave grohl and carter beauford best still rockin

Lars ulrich blows and so does metallica
  • Options
    easy john bonham. no question.