Options

Best Drummer Of All Time

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    jefftjefft Posts: 650
    Oh yeah and that Ben Thatcher guy from Royal Blood has a tremendous sound coming from his kit too.
    Good call hes great
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,974
    jefft said:
    Oh yeah and that Ben Thatcher guy from Royal Blood has a tremendous sound coming from his kit too.
    Good call hes great
    You want to hear another crazy one?

Sammy Davis Jr. 

Dude could play.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    vito said:
    Keith Moon

Keith Moon is a great pick!  I saw Keith play with The Who when he was still in his prime (1968).  For sheer inventiveness, endurance (after the show a friend mentioned how cool it was to watch a drum solo that went on for the entire show, lol), and for his wild, marvelously distinctive style, Keith was an incredible drummer.  Technically speaking, he has been criticized widely as being sloppy and not always having good tingeing.   But who could have been a better fit for The Who?  None that I know of!

So then, this illustrates the futility of naming a "best" drummer (or guitar player, or whatever.)   Perhaps Keith was one of the best or maybe he wasn't.  But he sure was one of my favorites, and definitely the most memorable of all those I have seen.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294

• Options
    Bonzo 
    Bill Ward
    Matt fucking Cameron (the amount of songs he knows off the stop of his head is insane)
    Kieth Moon
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,581
    Nobody likes Tony Allen?
  • Options
    RobertwileysrRobertwileysr Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Posts: 22
    Edved82 said:
    John Bonham
    Danny Carey
    Matt Cameron
    Dave Grohl

Having said Matt Cameron, i still dont think he's suited to Pearl Jam! Jack Irons is PJ's drummer to me :)
    I was hoping someone would say DG and MC!!!! I think we're on the same page about MC being PJ's drummer. JI is THE PJ drummer. I don't know if this is true or not, but I saw something that said DG tried out to be PJ's drummer at one point. I don't think DG is suited for PJ, but that doesn't make him any less of the awesome drummer he is. As much as DG is the Foo Fighters frontman, which is what more people know him as, I will always see him as Nirvana's drummer. He's a great frontman, but he's Nirvana's drummer. When someone mentions DG, I immediately think, Nirvana drummer, and Foo Fighters' front man kind of flies over my head. If that makes sense
  • Options
    I was listening to Thelonious Monk's Monk's Music last night which features one of the of the most respected greats- Art Blakey!  Check this out!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Bonham
    Moon
    Pert
    Beauford
  • Options
    Edved82 said:
    John Bonham
    Danny Carey
    Matt Cameron
    Dave Grohl

Having said Matt Cameron, i still dont think he's suited to Pearl Jam! Jack Irons is PJ's drummer to me :)
    I was hoping someone would say DG and MC!!!! I think we're on the same page about MC being PJ's drummer. JI is THE PJ drummer. I don't know if this is true or not, but I saw something that said DG tried out to be PJ's drummer at one point. I don't think DG is suited for PJ, but that doesn't make him any less of the awesome drummer he is. As much as DG is the Foo Fighters frontman, which is what more people know him as, I will always see him as Nirvana's drummer. He's a great frontman, but he's Nirvana's drummer. When someone mentions DG, I immediately think, Nirvana drummer, and Foo Fighters' front man kind of flies over my head. If that makes sense
    Dave Grohl has mentioned that Prince is a better drummer than he is.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Neil Peart
    Keith Moon
    John Bonham
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    Bonham
    Copeland
    Peart
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    edited August 2020

IDK about the best drummer of all time, but the following are my all time favorite drummers (& with the exception of Bonzo, I've been fortunate enough to see them all play live multiple times):

Bonzo

Carey

Mike Bordin

Josh Freese

Danny Heifetz

John Stanier (love him more & more every time I see him - Battles is unreal)

Grohl (Songs for the Deaf and Them Crooked Vultures are unreal, as well as the (re-recorded) self titled Killing Joke)

Matt Cameron (for his Soundgarden work... while I do love what he brings to live songs like Last Exit & others, his drumming for PJ is pedestrian as compared to what he did w/ SG - different bands, different styles, it is what it is)

Dave Lombardo

Love Peart, but I'm not into Rush enough for him to make my list. He's definitely more skilled than some (most?)  of whom I've mentioned, but I'm not enough of a Rush fan for him to make my list. Same with Keith Moon... as much as I respect the Who, I just never got that deep into their catalog.

Honorable mentions to Sean Kinney, Tim Alexander & John Theodore.

(Edited to include Heifetz & Lombardo)

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    Edved82 said:
    John Bonham
    Danny Carey
    Matt Cameron
    Dave Grohl

Dave Grohls whole shtick is about being modest.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Edved82 said:
    John Bonham
    Danny Carey
    Matt Cameron
    Dave Grohl

Dave Grohls whole shtick is about being modest.
    No way I put him and Cameron at the upper echelon I will tell you that.
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 803
    I love Grohl's feel. Just brutal. His tone on In Utero is one of my favourites. Nothing subtle but so fast. NIN sounded great with him on the kit for most of With Teeth.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    Janet Weiss
  • Options
    Linda Pitmon is a solid drummer.  Maybe not the world's best, but darned good!

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    billy cobham?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

• Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 803
    edited August 2021
    I've been getting into Porcupine Tree this last year and holy hell Gavin Harrison is ridiculous. Absolute precision and his mastery of subdivisions and polyrhythms is insane. Fast becoming one of my very favourites, my top is Danny Carey and Jimmy Chamberlin is a close second. Style and the songs themselves play a big part in bias though. Tomas Haake I've found is amazing, Carter Beauford blew my mind and I haven't found anyone that sits as far back of the beat as Eric Kretz. Josh Freese is the most versatile I've seen. Wish I'd seen Slayer back in the day as from what I've heard Lombardo seems like the GOAT for thrash. PJ (and all the big 4 for that matter) were blessed with amazing sticksmen, no matter how stylistically different they were. Appreciate Krusen a lot more now, the non Jack No Code and Yield songs would have sounded great as they are the most similar for mine.
    Post edited by JT167846 on
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    shout out to lenny's ex drummer and now carlos's wife and drummer

Cindy Blackman Santana Drum Solo - Drumeo Festival 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGgiN1YNoQ4

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 322
    Best drummers I've ever seen in concert.
    Jon Theodore-Mars Volta and Queens of The Stone Age
    Julian Dorio-The Whigs (Maybe the best)
    Dave Grohl-Them Crooked Vultures
    Carter Beuford-DMB
    Jimmy Chamberlin-Smashing Pumpkins
    Glenn Kotche-Wilco
    Bryan Devendorf-The National
    Patrick Hallahan-My Morning Jacket