Options

Best Drummer Of All Time

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    HEY PEOPLE!!!!!!!

today may 31st is bonzo's birthday. he would have been 58.

seems as good excuse as any to have a zeppelin fest.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I agree.

I think Dave Grohl is one of the most talented men in music today......

He's awesome at everything he does.

I think the allure of calling Dave Grohl a great drummer has more to do with how hard he hits the skins and the amazing production that he gets on his drum tracks. For example when the drums kick in on Teen Spirit, and the intro of Scentless apprentice are just amazing. However they are in large part amazing not for being overly complicated but for just sounding great. That being said don't think I'm slagging him by any means becasue he is great and watching him play drums on have a cigar a few years ago was awesome. Still probably the guy I pick for my all star band if I were to make one. Although the last two foo fighters cds have been sub par IMO
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Keith Moon
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    One measure of a drummer that hasn't been mentioned is how many easily identifiable and memorable beats do they have? How many styles of music do they excel in?
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I think the allure of calling Dave Grohl a great drummer has more to do with how hard he hits the skins and the amazing production that he gets on his drum tracks. For example when the drums kick in on Teen Spirit, and the intro of Scentless apprentice are just amazing. However they are in large part amazing not for being overly complicated but for just sounding great. That being said don't think I'm slagging him by any means becasue he is great and watching him play drums on have a cigar a few years ago was awesome. Still probably the guy I pick for my all star band if I were to make one. Although the last two foo fighters cds have been sub par IMO

yes he does hit those drums like they owe him money.
    my fave grohl track would have to be 'a song for the dead' - QOTSA.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    all the drummers from 'spinal tap'...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    Well not exactly, there are plenty of great rock drummers whose styles don't bare any resemblance to Bonham. Not saying he wasn't great, but there seems to be an almost snobish attitude among some people (not that I'm accusing you) that there couldn't possibly be a better drummer, just because he's a legend. It's kind of like the whole thing with the Beatles - like there couldn't be a better band than the Beatles because they pioneered popular rock, which I personally think is horse shit.

I agree 100% with the Bonham part, but not with The Beatles. I think The Beatles and Elvis are far and away the greatest rock artists ever. There will never be another band/solo artist as big as they were and that did a whole lot for music.

I think Bonham is the most overated drummer by far. Sure hes got plenty of skill, but he can't be compared to Carey, Peart, Cobham, Bozzio and several others who are FAR superior at the drums. I can agree that Bonham is certainly a drumming legend, and possibly the most important rock drummer, but he in no way shape or form is the best drummer skill wise, even though sadly, some Zep fans will disagree.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Yeah i can agree with you there, I guess I was looking at it more along the lines of 'best drummer'. I had a long drawn out argument with one person who claimed Jimmy Chamberlin wasn't that good a drummer, because there's only a handfull of songs that really stand out as extraordinary. My point was that not every song required him to show off, especially since a lot of the Pumkins' songs were lighter pop songs. It's easy for someone like Danny Carey to show off, becuase most Tool songs are easily 5 minutes long and are usually heavy enough to require balls out drumming. That doesn't necessarily make him a better drummer though.

The guy from Avenged Sevenfold is seriously impressive too. I know a lot of people don't like the band, but there is no denying they are really good musicians.

The thing with Carey is, that he can show off while still performing perfect for the song. I don't think many other drummers can pull off the stuff he does, yet being able to fit the song perfectly. That's probably a reason why i'm not a big Mike Portnoy fan, I just don't think he fits some of DT songs that well. I can't deny that he is insane on the kit though.

Jimmy Chamberlin's solo album shows off a lot of his skill. He is a VERY underated drummer, and a very talented one as well.
  • Options
    stewart copeland
    steve smith
    vinnie colaiuta
    steve gadd
    tony williams
    glenn kotche
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    stewart copeland
    steve smith
    vinnie colaiuta
    steve gadd
    tony williams
    glenn kotche

What, no Dennis Chambers or Dave Weckl?

;)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    JamnPearl wrote:
    I think Bonham is the most overated drummer by far. Sure hes got plenty of skill, but he can't be compared to Carey, Peart, Cobham, Bozzio and several others who are FAR superior at the drums. I can agree that Bonham is certainly a drumming legend, and possibly the most important rock drummer, but he in no way shape or form is the best drummer skill wise, even though sadly, some Zep fans will disagree.

Just my opinion.

What!??????!!???!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!

Carey and Peart are amazing, but every night its the exact same drum parts. I am not taking anything away from them, as they are great, but to that they are far superior to John Bohnam is pretty retarded. Danny Carey practically stole Bonzo's style right away from him, and what prominent rock drummer played in odd time signatures before Bonham?

I can tolerate alot of things but to say that there is a rock drummer that is far superior to Bonzo is pretty absurd. There are several that are close, but his importance as a rock drummer, alone, supercedes almost everything else. With that alotta people forget how truly great he was.

Danny Carey may have surpassed Bonzo now, but that 10-15 extra years of development has done wonders for Carey, particularly the time between Aenima and 10k Days.
  • Options
    an honorable mention should go to josh freese
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    What, no Dennis Chambers or Dave Weckl?

;)

they belong up there as well. haven't heard enough dennis chambers to really comment, i'll admit that. but dave weckl is phenomenal. saw him give a clinic a few years ago that still blows my mind
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Honorable mention to Roger Taylot of Queen. He was able to make his drum style fit probably the widest assortment of music of any rock drummer ever. Then he really brings it live, can do background and lead vocals and write songs. Good songs, not like Matt's.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Honorable mention to Roger Taylot of Queen. He was able to make his drum style fit probably the widest assortment of music of any rock drummer ever. Then he really brings it live, can do background and lead vocals and write songs. Good songs, not like Matt's.

Didnt he help John Deacon build the amp that Brian May used in the studio. I read that somewhere.

Queen does deserve more love than they get.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    without a doubt, Danny Carey and Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra, Miles Davis et al.)

Both Danny and Billy regularly pull out 19/18 beats etc, without sounding like they are doing it for impressing. Danny is so unintrusive in a song you sometimes don't even realise how much he is blowing your mind.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Danny Carey practically stole Bonzo's style right away from him, and what prominent rock drummer played in odd time signatures before Bonham?

Are you kidding me??? Bonham hardly ever used tom beats like Carey does. Thier styles are similar in parts, but saying he stole his style is a VERY retarded thing to say. Go listen to the drumming on Lateralus and tell me that it's like Bonham's drumming.

I'm not saying that Carey has done more for rock drumming than Bonham, I mean, that's pretty obvious that Bonham is probably one of the 3 most important rock drummers in history...I can't deny that. Denying that Carey's skill ISN'T far surperior to Bonhams is a very absurd thing to say.

And besides, Bonham isn't even known for playing odd time signatures, and i'm willing to bet that Carl Palmer was playing odd time sigs before Bonham was. A lot of Zep fans probably don't even know that Bonham ever played in odd time sigs. That is something Carey is well known for, as are about every progressive rock drummers.
  • Options
    Carey and Peart are amazing, but every night its the exact same drum parts.

Danny Carey may have surpassed Bonzo now, but that 10-15 extra years of development has done wonders for Carey, particularly the time between Aenima and 10k Days.

So what if it's the same every night? I have about 10 Zep dvds, and Bonham's drumming isn't that much different each show. If you want to use something like that, then I guess Keith Moon is the best drummer ever, because he never sounded the same each night.

Danny Carey has long surpassed Bonham's skill on the drum kit. This is a no brainer if you have ever played drums in your life.
  • Options
    eloesch1eloesch1 Posts: 42
    Cant believe i forget Ginger Baker. What an animal
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    glenn kotche
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    bucket1988bucket1988 Posts: 212
    JamnPearl wrote:
    Are you kidding me??? Bonham hardly ever used tom beats like Carey does. Thier styles are similar in parts, but saying he stole his style is a VERY retarded thing to say. Go listen to the drumming on Lateralus and tell me that it's like Bonham's drumming.

I'm not saying that Carey has done more for rock drumming than Bonham, I mean, that's pretty obvious that Bonham is probably one of the 3 most important rock drummers in history...I can't deny that. Denying that Carey's skill ISN'T far surperior to Bonhams is a very absurd thing to say.

And besides, Bonham isn't even known for playing odd time signatures, and i'm willing to bet that Carl Palmer was playing odd time sigs before Bonham was. A lot of Zep fans probably don't even know that Bonham ever played in odd time sigs. That is something Carey is well known for, as are about every progressive rock drummers.

Holla. Excellently put.
    The words you say never seem to live up to the ones inside your head...
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Danny Carey - Tool
    Dave Lombardo - Slayer
    Elvin Jones - John Coltrane Quartet (Jazz)

Neil Peart - Rush
    Keith Moon - The Who
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    1. Mitch Mitchell
    2. John Bonham
    3. Danny Carey
    4. Dave Grohl
    5. Chad Sexton
    NERDS!
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    John Bonham by a street!! No one comes close I'm afriad.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    JamnPearl wrote:

True about Lateralus not being the same style. Opiate, Undertow, and Aenima have some offbeat stuff, but alotta straight time sigs, so early on he was very reminiscent of Bonzo before other key influences started playing a bigger role.

Fact of the matter is, I have never heard Danny Carey do anything that John Bohnam can't do, maybe the double bass madness, but Bonzo played with a single kicker.
  • Options
    what no meg white or karen carpenter? ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Neil Peart - Rush
    Good choice :cool:
    Keith Moon - The Who

Madman!!

Also I'd say, Tommy Aldridge, currently with Whitesnake, man his drum solo's are amazing.

John Bonham also.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    I won't confess to know the ins and outs of the drumming world and tell everyone that drummer x is the best because I honestly don't know, but here's a list of some drummers that I enjoy:
    Dave Grohl
    Matt Cameron
    John Bohnam
    Chad Smith
    Janet Weiss (I think that's her name - the one from Sleater-Kinney)
    Darren Jessee
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    John Bonham From Led Zeppelin End Of Discussion!!!!!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    i will say dave a on porch unplugged as best drummer ever
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out