• Options
    there are waaay to many to list

BUT i do love keith moon and charlie watts
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    grohl blows!
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Keith Moon was always a favourite of mine since I first saw him on the Kids are alright DVD. A year ago I saw Bonzo doing Moby Dick and was gobsmacked. Watched a Cream reunion and what a drummer Ginger baker still is.
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Danny Carey - Tool
    Dave Lombardo - Slayer
    Elvin Jones - John Coltrane Quartet (Jazz)
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Danny Carey - Tool
    Dave Lombardo - Slayer
    Elvin Jones - John Coltrane Quartet (Jazz)

good ole lombardo, incredible!
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    Neil Pert, simply amazing!!!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    Billy Cobham is without a doubt the most insane drummer every to grace this earth with his drumstickss... The Mahavishnu Orchestra is proof.

Danny Carey is pretty amazing, as well.
  • Options
    MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Neil Peart.

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Options
    Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    John Bonham
    Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden is pretty rockin'
    Steve Gorman of The Black Crowes
    Billy Idol's current drummer is wicked...I think his name is Brian Tushy??
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i gotta go with keith moon.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I BrisK I wrote:
    grohl blows!

Actually I think Dave Grohl was pretty impressive on Songs for the Deaf, particularly the song First It Giveth. Saying he 'blows' is a tad harsh!!!! While he might lack some of the complexity other drummers have, he's really good at the rapid-fire kind of stuff, probably best showed off on The Colour and the Shape.
  • Options
    Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Actually I think Dave Grohl was pretty impressive on Songs for the Deaf, particularly the song First It Giveth. Saying he 'blows' is a tad harsh!!!! While he might lack some of the complexity other drummers have, he's really good at the rapid-fire kind of stuff, probably best showed off on The Colour and the Shape.

I agree.

I think Dave Grohl is one of the most talented men in music today......

He's awesome at everything he does.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    rock_goddessrock_goddess Posts: 970
    I like grohl,tre cool is pretty good too, and obviously matt cameron
    *Fellow astorian*

20/4/06 Astoria
    23/8/06 Dublin

http://www.myspace.com/rockgoddess1318
  • Options
    DE JammerDE Jammer Posts: 26
    easy john bonham. no question.
    agreed
    incredible
    Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. -Robert Orben
  • Options
    *Boy*Boy Posts: 112
    not saing hes the best, but Tommy Lee deserves a mention
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not ~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same ~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~

~chaka boom chak -Tom Waits~
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    the guy from def leppard....
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    I think Carter Beauford is fucking amazing. Watch a DVD or see them live and he will blow your socks off.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Mitch Mitchell for me
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Billy Cobham is without a doubt the most insane drummer every to grace this earth with his drumstickss... The Mahavishnu Orchestra is proof.

Danny Carey is pretty amazing, as well.

Cobham is a god, but I didn't include him because we weren't going down the jazz/fusion path.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    My favorite rock drummers are:
    1. John Bonham - everything I think a rock drummer should be, the true engine to Led Zeppelin,
    2. Keith Moon - just about everything a drummer shouldn't be (can't even keep time) but what a glorious mess he his behind the kit,
    3. Neil Peart - a big fan of his early to mid-career work, you could tell he had a sense of humour just based on his drum solos,
    4. Charlie Watts - minimalist perfection
    5. Joey Kramer - I have a huge affection for drummers that bring a bit of funk to the table. One of the most sampled drummers by old school rappers.

Of PJ drummers Dave is my favorite. Like I said I love a drummer with a bit of funk in him. Matt is great live but doesn't really do it for me on some of the older numbers like Glorofied G.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    stu gee wrote:
    Mitch Mitchell for me

I love Mitch's playing, but maybe he didn't have quite enough wallop behind the kit to give Jimi all the funk he needed. I've a boot of the Experience from 1968; Buddy Miles joins the band on stage for a jam on "Dear Mr Fantasy" and though undoubtedly Mitch is by several million light years the better drummer, Miles was far, far louder and actually gave the jam what it really needed.
  • Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    Terry Bozzio

Lars Ulrich shouldn't be mentioned anywhere near this thread. And John Bonham didn't invent rock drumming LOL.
  • Options
    caifan82caifan82 Mexico City Posts: 321
    Mike Portnoy!

Really no contest here. The guy is a freaking octopus.
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Options
    JamnPearl wrote:
    And John Bonham didn't invent rock drumming LOL.
    No but he did perfect it.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    No but he did perfect it.

Well not exactly, there are plenty of great rock drummers whose styles don't bare any resemblance to Bonham. Not saying he wasn't great, but there seems to be an almost snobish attitude among some people (not that I'm accusing you) that there couldn't possibly be a better drummer, just because he's a legend. It's kind of like the whole thing with the Beatles - like there couldn't be a better band than the Beatles because they pioneered popular rock, which I personally think is horse shit.
  • Options
    Well not exactly, there are plenty of great rock drummers whose styles don't bare any resemblance to Bonham. Not saying he wasn't great, but there seems to be an almost snobish attitude among some people (not that I'm accusing you) that there couldn't possibly be a better drummer, just because he's a legend. It's kind of like the whole thing with the Beatles - like there couldn't be a better band than the Beatles because they pioneered popular rock, which I personally think is horse shit.
    Bonham was a great heavy rock drummer who also could improv and maintain his style during acoustic songs. But I think he'd a lousy fit for the Stones. He was great for what he did and the people he played with. That's what it's really about anyways. He's my favorite drummer because he plays my favorite kind of music. It's hard for me to comment on drummers whose music I'm that into.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,251
    surferdude wrote:
    Bonham was a great heavy rock drummer who also could improv and maintain his style during acoustic songs. But I think he'd a lousy fit for the Stones. He was great for what he did and the people he played with. That's what it's really about anyways. He's my favorite drummer because he plays my favorite kind of music. It's hard for me to comment on drummers whose music I'm that into.

exactly right - Charlie Watts is good at what he does, but he'd suck if he drummed for Zeppelin. Its all about the type of stuff they're playing. But i reckon Bonham is the best - listen to some bootleg versions of Trampled Underfoot and you'll know what i'm on about. Amazing.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:

Yeah i can agree with you there, I guess I was looking at it more along the lines of 'best drummer'. I had a long drawn out argument with one person who claimed Jimmy Chamberlin wasn't that good a drummer, because there's only a handfull of songs that really stand out as extraordinary. My point was that not every song required him to show off, especially since a lot of the Pumkins' songs were lighter pop songs. It's easy for someone like Danny Carey to show off, becuase most Tool songs are easily 5 minutes long and are usually heavy enough to require balls out drumming. That doesn't necessarily make him a better drummer though.

The guy from Avenged Sevenfold is seriously impressive too. I know a lot of people don't like the band, but there is no denying they are really good musicians.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I agree.

I think Dave Grohl is one of the most talented men in music today......

He's awesome at everything he does.

plus he looks hot in women's lingerie. :D

JOHN HENRY BONHAM.

though i also must toss a bouquet Danny Carey's way.

and because i'm australian, kudos to Rob Hirst.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say