*** Ed releases music video for Guaranteed ***

Comments

• IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    It was beautiful!!!!

I missed the first at 6am because I was trying to wake up the kids – I wasn’t aware that eV was the FIRST to sing that song so I watched all the videos till 7:00am. I’m glad I did though because it made me appreciate eV a whole lot better!

It also made me realize how fortunate I was – that although I’m not rich financially, but I am rich in love. Those songs I had to sit through….didn’t apply to me at all. They were love songs and they have no clue or searching for one. Unfortunately, I didn’t like how they sounded either.

But anyway…when eV came on at 7am, it was me and my 12 years old daughter, Raina watching and listening. Both of us were quiet and enthralled with the video.

So short but powerful! I love how eV "float away" at the end.

Then I drove Raina to school and when she got out of the truck and walked in front of the truck, she signed with a genuine smile:

"Thanks, mom!" :)

She is looking forward to going to her first PJ show -actually her first concert- with her dad on the next tour!

Of course I watched again at 8am!

I'd like to thank VH1.com for captioning the videos! :D
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    IamMine wrote:
    It was beautiful!!!!

I missed the first at 6am because I was trying to wake up the kids – I wasn’t aware that eV was the FIRST to sing that song so I watched all the videos till 7:00am. I’m glad I did though because it made me appreciate eV a whole lot better!

It also made me realize how fortunate I was – that although I’m not rich financially, but I am rich in love. Those songs I had to sit through….didn’t apply to me at all. They were love songs and they have no clue or searching for one. Unfortunately, I didn’t like how they sounded either.

But anyway…when eV came on at 7am, it was me and my 12 years old daughter, Raina watching and listening. Both of us were quiet and enthralled with the video.

So short but powerful! I love how eV "float away" at the end.

Then I drove Raina to school and when she got out of the truck and walked in front of the truck, she signed with a genuine smile:

"Thanks, mom!" :)

She is looking forward to going to her first PJ show -actually her first concert- with her dad on the next tour!

Of course I watched again at 8am!

I'd like to thank VH1.com for captioning the videos! :D

I agree, it was beautiful to watch, I watched it 1/2 asleep last night like at 2am and watched it again this morning online (haven't caught it on the TV screen yet), I liked it even more than last night, I dont know if its also because Guaranteed is my favorite song in the album or if its just the images rolling behind Eddie (I thought ITW was haunting)...I think it was the mix of things, it was such a simple video yet so powerful and touching...

:)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Alessiana wrote:
    If it's a legitimate gripe, why would this be a wrong thing to do?

This isn't his first rodeo...he knows what he's getting into nowadays. You want to voice your opinion about something you don't like...that's great I can support that. But, don't waver back and forth...it gets confusing as to where you stand on the issue.
    Alessiana wrote:

So, his bandmates are upset because once again it's all about "EDDIE VEDDER" and he's not supposed to say anything? They had an agreement with RollingStone and RollingStone didn't hold up their end of the agreement. It's a reason to wipe your ass on the offending cover.

Did they have an agreement? Was it in writing? Edward has been raked through the mud by Rolling Stone in the past, so I would hope that the band would put everything down in writing in order to avoid certain types of situations.
    Alessiana wrote:
    But it's not a reason not to talk to the media about things that matter to you. You express what you don't like and move on.

There are thousands of media outlets, yet he chooses to go back to the one that he publically denounces. So, which one is it? Is it a bad publication or is it a good one when it serves your needs?

Alessiana wrote:
    These are men in their 40s. They know what they're doing now. It's their fans who need to grow up.

So, by asking questions, the fans need to grow up? Should I wipe my ass with something before you take my questions seriously?

Listen, all I am saying is that if you're going to be a spokesperson for the band, then you need to think before you speak. I think Ed is a great motivator and inspires a lot of people to act...but there is a great responsibility that comes with that.

So, if 5 years down the road, Ed decides to adopt a conservative agenda, no one will complain?

I don't blindly follow everything the band does. If I disagree or think something's amiss, I'm going to question it. That doesn't make me less of a fan...I would hope others would agree.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org

• I don't blindly follow everything the band does. If I disagree or think something's amiss, I'm going to question it. That doesn't make me less of a fan...I would hope others would agree.

PBM

Well said PBM
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I still own a prehistoric VCR and I taped it.

I thought it was great!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Big ManBig Man Posts: 97
    hey europeans, whats the adress of this italien fansite again? they always have everything very quickly, quicktime connections of videos and so on... anyone?
  • Big Man wrote:
    hey europeans, whats the adress of this italien fansite again? they always have everything very quickly, quicktime connections of videos and so on... anyone?
    I think you are speaking about pearljamonline.it...there is nothing yet...
    Rome '96
    Bologna '06
    Verona '06
    Pistoia '06
    Venice '07
    London '07
    Manchester '09
    Berlin '10
    Venice '10
  • cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    I wanna see it, dammit!
    Its supposed to be world premiere?
    ANd only US can see it... :rolleyes:
    Sorry, I just hate when we get discriminated...
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • I thought Europeans could change their computer clock to U.S. time and then we'd be able to watch the video. I'm sure it's been done before.

edit - sorry, just saw that someone already suggested this and it didn't work. Damn!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Sorry, I just hate when we get discriminated...

I know the feelings. :(

I am pretty sure someone will put it up on youtube soon for the outsiders!

Hang in there! (wince, I know...)
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • I thought Europeans could change their computer clock to U.S. time and then we'd be able to watch the video. I'm sure it's been done before.

edit - sorry, just saw that someone already suggested this and it didn't work. Damn!
    it doesn't work :)
    Rome '96
    Bologna '06
    Verona '06
    Pistoia '06
    Venice '07
    London '07
    Manchester '09
    Berlin '10
    Venice '10
  • TheGenius wrote:
    it doesn't work :)

agh, never mind. I guess we just have to wait until someone uploads it to youtube or dailymotion.

I would've thought pearljam.com would have provided a link to watch it.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    This isn't his first rodeo...he knows what he's getting into nowadays. You want to voice your opinion about something you don't like...that's great I can support that. But, don't waver back and forth...it gets confusing as to where you stand on the issue.

Did they have an agreement? Was it in writing? Edward has been raked through the mud by Rolling Stone in the past, so I would hope that the band would put everything down in writing in order to avoid certain types of situations.

There are thousands of media outlets, yet he chooses to go back to the one that he publically denounces. So, which one is it? Is it a bad publication or is it a good one when it serves your needs?

So, by asking questions, the fans need to grow up? Should I wipe my ass with something before you take my questions seriously?

Listen, all I am saying is that if you're going to be a spokesperson for the band, then you need to think before you speak. I think Ed is a great motivator and inspires a lot of people to act...but there is a great responsibility that comes with that.

So, if 5 years down the road, Ed decides to adopt a conservative agenda, no one will complain?

I don't blindly follow everything the band does. If I disagree or think something's amiss, I'm going to question it. That doesn't make me less of a fan...I would hope others would agree.

PBM

::rolls eyes::

This has nothing to do with blind following everything the band does. You distill a description of relationship management theory to this?

What a simplistic viewpoint. I have to reframe my thinking. This has nothing to do with fans growing up. Getting older doesn't automatically bring wisdom. Perhaps a few classes in human reseource management, vendor management, or parental classes might shed some light on this for you.

In relationship management, you position your response appropriately for the recipient.

In dealing with employees, it's constructive criticism
    In dealing with children you are very clear that while you don't like the behavior, you love the child.
    With Vendors you lay down the line of what's acceptable, pushing up the mangement chain if necessary to get the desired result.

In Rock and Roll you wipe your ass with their paper and give them more chances. I'm sure RS doesn't like that video rolling of Eddie wiping his ass on youtube. Who do you imagine the public backs in this dispute? Who's rep has suffered? Eddie's? Pearl Jam's? HARDLY

If any single paper deserves that response, it's RS. RS's peers in other journals consider their treatment of Vedder to be their single biggest journalistic mistake. They look like fools. Vedder using this tactic with them is appropriate.

Would including a bibliography on relationship management techniques help? I don't know it's a waste of time but if I have a few this afternoon, I might be able pull something together for you.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Alessiana wrote:
    ::rolls eyes::

This has nothing to do with blind following everything the band does. You distill a description of relationship management theory to this?

What a simplistic viewpoint. I have to reframe my thinking. This has nothing to do with fans growing up. Getting older doesn't automatically bring wisdom. Perhaps a few classes in human reseource management, vendor management, or parental classes might shed some light on this for you.

In relationship management, you position your response appropriately for the recipient.

In dealing with employees, it's constructive criticism
    In dealing with children you are very clear that while you don't like the behavior, you love the child.
    With Vendors you lay down the line of what's acceptable, pushing up the mangement chain if necessary to get the desired result.

In Rock and Roll you wipe your ass with their paper and give them more chances. I'm sure RS doesn't like that video rolling of Eddie wiping his ass on youtube. Who do you imagine the public backs in this dispute? Who's rep has suffered? Eddie's? Pearl Jam's? HARDLY

If any single paper deserves that response, it's RS. RS's peers in other journals consider their treatment of Vedder to be their single biggest journalistic mistake. They look like fools. Vedder using this tactic with them is appropriate.

Would including a bibliography on relationship management techniques help? I don't know it's a waste of time but if I have a few this afternoon, I might be able pull something together for you.

Good post :)
    I completely agree with everything you said. In this case, Eddie embarassed RS by doing something in a very public forum. Perhaps a lot of other singers wouldn't have done the same thing, but in this case he did what was right. How many times are RS gonna screw the band over and go against their wishes? They agreed to something and then went the other way behind their back. Eddie showed that they can't get away with shit like that and so he embarassed them in front of a lot of people. Maybe now they'll think twice about their behaviour.

It might seem a little immature, but if RS are going to act like kids then maybe they should be treated like kids.

• eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
    It's cool that Eddie made a video. However, it seems a bit odd to release a video now, so long after the movie was released. I can't help but think that this video is all about "lobbying" for the awards the song has been nominated for, which is very "unEddielike."

i agree

i hope pj still remains and ev dont get bored and begins solo music career
    11.09.05 Kitchener
    22.11.05 Santiago
    23.11.05 Santiago
    11.06.08 West Palm Beach
    It might seem a little immature, but if RS are going to act like kids then maybe they should be treated like kids.

LOL

I wouldn't say he treated them like kids. He treated them like the RAG their behavior suggested.

If you have a verbal agreement, it should be enough. If it's written, what's the point. You sue? These magazines and photographers need to do a better job of managing TRUST. It's critical to their business. I don't believe PJ or Ed need RS anywhere near as much as RS needs him/them. How many hits did they recieve on their new website because Eddie was featured and they had that photo?

They would have sold a hell of a lot more copies of the magazine if that had been their print cover, but they were smart about it and will therefore continue to establish trust. Now this might be the result of the photographer stipulating how he was going to sell his work and taking a smaller fee but that's how it works.

A photographer needs TRUST in order to stay in business. Ed's been screwed over in the past on shit like this. A magazine needs trust as well

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Alessiana wrote:
    Ed's been screwed over in the past on shit like this.

Apparently he did not position his response appropriately for his recipient in the past.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • lol, I find it amazing how this discussion can continue? Who the hell cares?

Fact is, most of us are here cos of the music and the lyrics... most of us have been taking in ed's words from the beginning and that's what made us love the band. Doesn't make him always right though... so agree or disagree with him on whatever you like. Some people though go nuts if you disagree with the smallest thing... other people think if he wants to bring Olivia to the pub and get drunk with her, well we should all be doing that ;)

You're all feckin nuts! :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • KatKat Posts: 4,849
    Excuse me but this thread is about the video release. Could we end the other discussion here so others can give some feedback and discussion on the video content and the song? Thanka. Happy New Year all.

Admin
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    nice video. nice song
    I love to turn you on
    edited as OT.

Aless

Tell them.
    Kat wrote:
    Excuse me but this thread is about the video release. Could we end the other discussion here so others can give some feedback and discussion on the video content and the song? Thanka. Happy New Year all.

Admin

Opps. Got it. LOL

Aless

Tell them.
  • I'm excited about seeing this! Hope someone posts it soon for us poor Euro folks :(

• dvi2702 wrote:

Ask and you shall receive! Thanks! :)

• :) I liked it!

It's short, it's fairly simple and its perfect for the song and the for the movie.

Bless little Ed, he does look a tad uncomfortable with the camera though! It's still weird seeing him in a real music video, but if it gives the film and soundtrack more exposure then it's all good!

Good job folks!

• polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    thank goodness for youtube!

anyhoo - i love this song - the video was ok ... the stills from the movie aren't prominent enough to capture the song and the silhouette didn't work for me either ...
  • polaris wrote:
    thank goodness for youtube!

anyhoo - i love this song - the video was ok ... the stills from the movie aren't prominent enough to capture the song and the silhouette didn't work for me either ...

I agree with you...love the song, video-not so much. The first thing I thought of was the Jeremy video (maybe this has been posted, haven't read through the last 4 pages). then, the end where Tiny Eddie is in the top corner of the frame was a little weird....but hey, I'm not making any videos anytime soon, so what do I know!!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
    I agree with you...love the song, video-not so much. The first thing I thought of was the Jeremy video (maybe this has been posted, haven't read through the last 4 pages). then, the end where Tiny Eddie is in the top corner of the frame was a little weird....but hey, I'm not making any videos anytime soon, so what do I know!!

I find the edits fascinating.

Check out how that floating image of Eddie changes in the last second. That's really good (imo) considering what follows.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Love the video!!