*** Ed releases music video for Guaranteed ***

Comments

• IamMine wrote:
    Look in his recent RS interview

Is that the same magazine he wiped his ass with in June of '06?

:D;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • IamMine wrote:
    I wish I hadn't read that.

You're not helping with the environment in here. :(

eV is still the same person with big heart and still has concerns for many things that need immediate attention such as environment and still has that great love and passion for music.

He still supports and is actively involved with charities and projects that he strongly believes in, though some things have changed over the course of time – as far as his line of thinking and how he perceives things. Over the 16 years, he has seen a lot of things and traveled a lot of places.

Look in his recent RS interview where he stated he made a quick judgment against one person who was doing an ad but found out that it was being done because that person needed some medical assistance for his father. He learned something that day.

Perhaps we ca learn something, too… not to make quick judgments or assumptions.

:(

Sorry you feel that way, Mine. I think you misunderstood--I was trying to get across a very similar point.

"1992: Fuckin’ Grammys. Sounds like we sold out.

2008: Not at all. There’s bigger stuff to worry about--global warming, another Bush, the next generation. Our voice can help create change."

He's undeniably a good guy. He's changed and matured. (That doesn't mean he hasn't always been a good guy.) His focus and interests have changed somewhat, as happens with every single human being.
  • writersu wrote:
    what do you think?

I think when you speak out against something (passionately) and then backtrack, you lose credibility. This isn't an isolated incident.

I truly don't care either way about the video...just want to expand our minds with a nice debate.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Since '91 wrote:
    Sorry you feel that way, Mine. I think you misunderstood--I was trying to get across a very similar point.

"1992: Fuckin’ Grammys. Sounds like we sold out.

2008: Not at all. There’s bigger stuff to worry about--global warming, another Bush, the next generation. Our voice can help create change."

He's undeniably a good guy. He's changed and matured. (That doesn't mean he hasn't always been a good guy.) His focus and interests have changed somewhat, as happens with every single human being.

*slaps forehead*

There I go - making an ass out of myself. Even thousand of years as human, we still pass judgment and assumptions... bleh.

My apologies, Since 91. ;)
    I truly don't care either way about the video...just want to expand our minds with a nice debate.

That's true, PBM. :)

Ok, I've got to quit hogging this thread....

I swear I wasn't being paid by an advertising company to defend eV. :p:D

Thanks for not throwing tomatoes at me...
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • IamMine wrote:
    *slaps forehead*

There I go - making an ass out of myself. Even thousand of years as human, we still pass judgment and assumptions... bleh.

My apologies, Since 91. ;)

None needed, Mine--glad we agree!
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    I think when you speak out against something (passionately) and then backtrack, you lose credibility. This isn't an isolated incident.

PBM

OK...Are YOU the same person you were at 26 when you are 43? I think that we've all had strong views on things when we were younger that we outgrew or changed our opinion on as we got/get older. Change = life. You don't lose credibility as you grow up and realize that maybe you said a lot of absolutes that maybe you shouldn't have. Anger and angst do dissapate somewhat over time...So as far as Ed saying at 26 that he refused to videos, he didn't realize that at some point, videos just might become a necessisary evil...Or maybe, he did the video to help out his friend, which I believe he said he did. It is possible that one belief might outweigh another...and if you do so out of loyalty or because you're a fantastic friend - then good for you...

So yeah, good for Ed for appearing in the video! A song he treasures for a friend he treasures...nothing wrong with that...
    be philanthropic
  • OK...Are YOU the same person you were at 26 when you are 43? I think that we've all had strong views on things when we were younger that we outgrew or changed our opinion on as we got/get older. Change = life. You don't lose credibility as you grow up and realize that maybe you said a lot of absolutes that maybe you shouldn't have.

I absolutely agree with you...a person evolves mentally and change occurs. But, I'm still going to call him out on it.

Edward says a lot of things one day and then backtracks the next. I've seen it happen too many times.

I guarantee (no pun) that if something pisses him off with the release of this video, he will blast the medium.

Case in point (as I alluded to earlier in this thread): After being on the cover of Rolling Stone in June '06, he gets pissed that it's not a full band picture and publically denounces the magazine (again). A few months later, he gives David Fricke an interview for the very same magazine.

That's sending mixed signals.

Now it's tomorrow and...apparently nothing has changed. ;)

PBM

• Wow... I can't believe it and at the same time I can't wait to see it!! :-)
    "I am the first mammal to wear pants....yeah"
    6/95 -SF, CA.
    11/95 -SJ, CA.
    7/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    10/25/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    7/9/06 -LA, CA.
    7/15/06 -SF, CA.
    7/17/06 -SF, CA.
    10/22/06 -Mt. View, CA.
    12/9/06 -Honolulu, HI
    Eddie!-SC, CA. 4/5/08
    Eddie!-Berkeley. 4/7/08
    6/28/08- Mansfield, MA.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    what did i miss?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • soulshinesoulshine Posts: 120
    jaamfaan wrote:

On the flip side, I am still ok with people not knowing about Pearl Jam still rocking it. Let them go to Matchbox 20 while we get the best seats to see PJ.

hahahaha. We think the same!!!!!

Although I'm happy for Ed and the nomination, I have visions of him performing it at the awards and every damn tom, dick, and harry suddenly becoming big fans and crowding "our" message board and "our" shows...LOL!!!
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,859
    soulshine wrote:
    hahahaha. We think the same!!!!!

Although I'm happy for Ed and the nomination, I have visions of him performing it at the awards and every damn tom, dick, and harry suddenly becoming big fans and crowding "our" message board and "our" shows...LOL!!!

Don't worry, nobody is going to go crazy over "Guaranteed" unless they are a fan already. Into the Wild soundtrack is freaking awesome, but it will not convert the masses. The video will stick around for about a week.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,859
    I absolutely agree with you...a person evolves mentally and change occurs. But, I'm still going to call him out on it.

Edward says a lot of things one day and then backtracks the next. I've seen it happen too many times.

I guarantee (no pun) that if something pisses him off with the release of this video, he will blast the medium.

Case in point (as I alluded to earlier in this thread): After being on the cover of Rolling Stone in June '06, he gets pissed that it's not a full band picture and publically denounces the magazine (again). A few months later, he gives David Fricke an interview for the very same magazine.

Now it's tomorrow and...apparently nothing has changed. ;)

PBM

Maybe Ed hasn't changed but the world around him has. Music videos = MTV 15 years ago. Music videos now equal youtube, myspace, vh1, etc... It is less corporations pushing the videos at you, and more the individual looking for the video because they enjoy the music and like the medium.

But yeah, not selling 11 million albums and only selling 600,000 will magically lead you to do interviews, soundtracks, videos, festivals, multiple European tours (gotta stay relevant there to sell records). It is amazing how that works.
  • kitkatkitkat Posts: 31
    awesome!! can't wait to see it!!!!
    Lollapalooza 1992
    San Jose 1993
    Fresno 2000
    Las Vegas 2006
    Santa Cruz - E.V. 2008
  • I just saw a little clip of the video today on VH1. It looked pretty awesome what 30 seconds i saw of it.
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    OK...Are YOU the same person you were at 26 when you are 43? I think that we've all had strong views on things when we were younger that we outgrew or changed our opinion on as we got/get older. Change = life. You don't lose credibility as you grow up and realize that maybe you said a lot of absolutes that maybe you shouldn't have. Anger and angst do dissapate somewhat over time...So as far as Ed saying at 26 that he refused to videos, he didn't realize that at some point, videos just might become a necessisary evil...Or maybe, he did the video to help out his friend, which I believe he said he did. It is possible that one belief might outweigh another...and if you do so out of loyalty or because you're a fantastic friend - then good for you...

So yeah, good for Ed for appearing in the video! A song he treasures for a friend he treasures...nothing wrong with that...

I second that........100% agree.........

but only getting older oneself and having your points of view change are the things that lead you to understand that.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • I'm so exited!
    "I wish I was the full moon... you kept your house keys on" - Wishlist (Melbourne '03)
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    7 more hours! :D

I already recorded the show on DVR from 6am-10am!

Don't forget to record and transfer to youtube for our friends outside of United States of aMErica.

I wish I knew how to do that and having the tools to help out.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329

If it's a legitimate gripe, why would this be a wrong thing to do?
    Case in point (as I alluded to earlier in this thread): After being on the cover of Rolling Stone in June '06, he gets pissed that it's not a full band picture and publically denounces the magazine (again).

Thank you for this one.

So, his bandmates are upset because once again it's all about "EDDIE VEDDER" and he's not supposed to say anything? They had an agreement with RollingStone and RollingStone didn't hold up their end of the agreement. It's a reason to wipe your ass on the offending cover.
    A few months later, he gives David Fricke an interview for the very same magazine.

But it's not a reason not to talk to the media about things that matter to you. You express what you don't like and move on.

No it is not. It's saying very clearly

"You did this bad thing. I'm going to let you know about it by wiping my ass on your paper. If you do it again I will behave the same way.

Now we have another interview. How about we try this again?"

There isn't anything mixed about it. If you think this is mixed then I guess you haven't looked at relationships from the perspective of reward and punishment at home or in business

When I was a manager. I made it very clear when people did things wrong. We then move on with a better understanding. While I know they did wrong before, I will work with the person to get better performance.

As a parent, it's very similar

In buisness relationships, it's much the same thing. You let people know you are displeased with the service/product whatever but you don't sever the relationship unless it is harmful. This is something Pearl Jam has learned over the years. It's a sensible, reasoned approach.

What you are suggesting is not.

These are men in their 40s. They know what they're doing now. It's their fans who need to grow up.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Alessiana wrote:
    If it's a legitimate gripe, why would this be a wrong thing to do?

Thank you for this one.

So, his bandmates are upset because once again it's all about "EDDIE VEDDER" and he's not supposed to say anything? They had an agreement with RollingStone and RollingStone didn't hold up their end of the agreement. It's a reason to wipe your ass on the offending cover.

But it's not a reason not to talk to the media about things that matter to you. You express what you don't like and move on.

No it is not. It's saying very clearly

"You did this bad thing. I'm going to let you know about it by wiping my ass on your paper. If you do it again I will behave the same way.

Now we have another interview. How about we try this again?"

There isn't anything mixed about it. If you think this is mixed then I guess you haven't looked at relationships from the perspective of reward and punishment at home or in business

When I was a manager. I made it very clear when people did things wrong. We then move on with a better understanding. While I know they did wrong before, I will work with the person to get better performance.

As a parent, it's very similar

In buisness relationships, it's much the same thing. You let people know you are displeased with the service/product whatever but you don't sever the relationship unless it is harmful. This is something Pearl Jam has learned over the years. It's a sensible, reasoned approach.

What you are suggesting is not.

These are men in their 40s. They know what they're doing now. It's their fans who need to grow up.

Excellent post!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    cool video for an awesome song!!!...~

:)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Big ManBig Man Posts: 97
    can anyone upload the video on rapi dshare or something, cuz from europe it is not accesible on vh1... or maybe upload onto youtube?

thanks, appreciated
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Big Man wrote:
    can anyone upload the video on rapi dshare or something, cuz from europe it is not accesible on vh1... or maybe upload onto youtube?

thanks, appreciated

Yes, I can't watch it either. It's not available outside US.
    Please, can someone upload?
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • romybianromybian Posts: 1,644
    PJSEMPRE wrote:
    Yes, I can't watch it either. It's not available outside US.
    Please, can someone upload?
    sometimes simply changing your timezone in your computer to an american city works, I don't know if vh1.com is the case though.
    "The joke in your language won't come out the same" (Tom Petty)
    I'm no dude! Dudette!
  • Big ManBig Man Posts: 97
    nope. but thank you. but nope
  • Simply beautiful. Perfect, really.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Just saw the video on VH1. Very well done and such a beautiful song.

I laughed after cause a new Buckcherry video played next. hehehe :)
  • Big Man wrote:

thanks, appreciated

• AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    I've watched it twice now on a full screen. This is fantastic. Maybe it's the surrounding garbage that makes it look so good but I don't think so. I think it's simply excellent. I was critical of the last two videos (WWS & Life Wasted), but this is perfect.

I love the ending frame. Good lord, Ed should end all solo vids with that. I really love that image. I've loved it since 98

Congratulations Eddie! This is outstanding. Great work

PS. More please? Rise in February maybe? Hey! A fan can dream, right?

: P

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    Goddamn VH1! Everybody outside the U.S. can't see the video..
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)