***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    SPALMA wrote:
    :):):)
    :):):):):) one for each member of DBT.

This is kind of silly, but I have come so disenchanted with Pearl Jam in the last couple of days that I am seriously considering not even opening the packaging of the "5X1" book that came in the mail today. I ordered it before it struck me that the band was no longer concerned with principle, but the dollar.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    tybird wrote:

This is kind of silly, but I have come so disenchanted with Pearl Jam in the last couple of days that I am seriously considering not even opening the packaging of the "5X1" book that came in the mail today. I ordered it before it struck me that the band was no longer concerned with principle, but the dollar.

I kind of felt that way too. Especially after reading that response I got. I didn't listen to them for a couple of days but just started to again today. I'll get over it and plan a trip to see them next tour though.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    I kind of felt that way too. Especially after reading that response I got. I didn't listen to them for a couple of days but just started to again today. I'll get over it and plan a trip to see them next tour though.
    If they hook up with another big corporate rock tour again, such as Petty, or do a double bill with someone like the Peppers....no, thanks. If they don't choose better cities and venues.......I refuse to travel to Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati just to see what is now just another rock band, IMHO,..........I will also miss that tour.

The bean counters for this band can't see beyond the end of their calculators and spread sheets.........this band sold a 10,000 + seat arena in Birmingham, Alabama in less than in an hour in 1998. They skipped us in 2000....then had initial poor tickets sales to the same venue in 2003, so the show was moved to a smaller outdoor venue......freakish spring weather (it was about 35 degrees that night) then kills any walk up business.....this now is somehow our fault???? Is it any surprise that eight(or five) years later that there is no fan base?
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    If they hook up with another big corporate rock tour again, such as Petty, or do a double bill with someone like the Peppers....no, thanks. If they don't choose better cities and venues.......I refuse to travel to Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati just to see what is now just another rock band, IMHO,..........I will also miss that tour.

The bean counters for this band can't see beyond the end of their calculators and spread sheets.........this band sold a 10,000 + seat arena in Birmingham, Alabama in less than in an hour in 1998. They skipped us in 2000....then had initial poor tickets sales to the same venue in 2003, so the show was moved to a smaller outdoor venue......freakish spring weather (it was about 35 degrees that night) then kills any walk up business.....this now is somehow our fault???? Is it any surprise that eight(or five) years later that there is no fan base?

I also think that the so-called "numbers" they ran were based on the Riot Act tour which was in support of a VERY sub-par album that got NO radio play in 2003 at the beggining of the Iraq war when support for the war and Bush was relatively high.

Now, they have an album that was getting much-improved radio play, even down here, and support for the war and Bush is at an all-time low. Seems to me they would sell more tickets this time around than last time, espcially in the largest southern cities.

Basically this whole thing could have been avoided by simply adding 10 or so shows in the largest southern cities. I highly doubt that would have negatively impacted their bottom line too badly.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    tybird wrote:

Oh man, you got yours? yeah, I Know what you mean!
    it is hard to look in the face of someone you are mad at. (time out!)
    I have been taking a break from them too (music).
    I think I will save the book for a time (weekend) when I can relax and enjoy (which is at least 3 weeks away) and maybe I won't be so pissed them.
    Every day is a new perspective.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
    Flagg wrote:
    I also think that the so-called "numbers" they ran were based on the Riot Act tour which was in support of a VERY sub-par album that got NO radio play in 2003 at the beggining of the Iraq war when support for the war and Bush was relatively high.

Now, they have an album that was getting much-improved radio play, even down here, and support for the war and Bush is at an all-time low. Seems to me they would sell more tickets this time around than last time, espcially in the largest southern cities.

Basically this whole thing could have been avoided by simply adding 10 or so shows in the largest southern cities. I highly doubt that would have negatively impacted their bottom line too badly.
    Five shows would have been great............five is still better than zero. I still think that the troubles of the Dixie Chicks and their tour effected some thinking in this matter. Of course, the Dixie Chicks were having trouble selling tickets in some markets, Country Radio (the corporate heads) absolutely bailed on them. The identical corporate heads running rock radio did give Pearl Jam a chance this time around.

This is almost becoming a pattern with this band.....see the thread on the quality of tee-shirts......selling of tour packages to Hawaii......"Big, Bold and Free" went the way of the Passenger Pigeon....and now, we get possibly two band member grousing about ticket sales in a region and using it as an excuse not to tour there.
    tybird wrote:
    Five shows would have been great............five is still better than zero. I still think that the troubles of the Dixie Chicks and their tour effected some thinking in this matter. Of course, the Dixie Chicks were having trouble selling tickets in some markets, Country Radio (the corporate heads) absolutely bailed on them. The identical corporate heads running rock radio did give Pearl Jam a chance this time around.

This is almost becoming a pattern with this band.....see the thread on the quality of tee-shirts......selling of tour packages to Hawaii......"Big, Bold and Free" went the way of the Passenger Pigeon....and now, we get possibly two band member grousing about ticket sales in a region and using it as an excuse not to tour there.

I don't know if the Dixie Chicks thing had an effect on it since they have a much different fan base, but maybe. Dixie Chicks new album supposedly isn't really a country album too (I haven't heard it) and that probably didn't help them with their country fans either. Don't get me started on country music and country fans.

In any case, if overhead is their problem as mentioned in that response, then maybe they should do what every other business does when its product is not as popular as it once was: reduce overhead. I'm telling you, it doesn't seem to be a problem for other bands. For God's sake look at Queensryche! They were huge! They aren't now but they still play every damn place in the world. Black Crowes, Alice in Chains, the list goes on.

Maybe I should post the response since it is the closest thing we have to official word and people will know what we are talking about.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    Maybe I should post the response since it is the closest thing we have to official word and people will know what we are talking about.

what response??

SPALMA wrote:
    what response??

Check your PMs. I was a little afraid to post it because he is close to the band. Maybe that is stupid, I don't know.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    It is strange how a number of bands can tour and play the South....and apparently not go into the poor house........yet an intelligent and well managed band like Pearl Jam can't.......
    This argument will be used against touring the South on the next "World" tour....because, face it.....they have now done nothing to build or re-build the supposedly weak fan base in the South. Nothing. The same bean counters will run the same numbers, which will be about six years old, and get the same answer.

And if it is political in nature............they need to do a little research......It was Democratic rule on the local level that was (and still is) responible for most of the problems in the South. "Jim Crow" didn't vote for no Republican. He was a "yellow dog" democrat. Between the end of Reconstruction (1870ish) to 1985, there was no Republican governor of Alabama. Many of us voted Republican because we looked around and saw nothing but shitty Democrats like George Wallace.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Flagg wrote:
    Check your PMs. I was a little afraid to post it because he is close to the band. Maybe that is stupid, I don't know.

do you have a secret you want to share with the rest of the class?
    Dollpartz wrote:
    do you have a secret you want to share with the rest of the class?
    I would vote that he just continue spreading the word by PMs. Save the source if he ever needs it again.
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Can everyone just relax? I want to see them live.But as soon as I told myself I might not see them for at least 6 months or longer and too quit wishing for some southern dates before the end of 2006. I felt better with myself. They will not just leave out a large part of the country. Relax! Deep breath in now exhale.It will be OK you will see.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
    Flagg wrote:

OK, so how can they tour an area like Australia, a large land mass which logistically is similar to the South, play only a few cities and still make money?

Why can't they play one city in each state, multiple shows (Just play 2-3 nights each in Dallas, Atlanta, West Palm)- like they are doing in Oz? Cut the number of locations, set ups and pare the tour down. The less shows, the more people will come to them.

• weenie wrote:
    No one has heard from either of them recently, which is another reason to cast doubt upon statements of late from other posters on the board. Back in the beginning, when the other dates around the country were announced, Kat said something to the effect that there were no plans for 2006, but don't get mad with her if they end up in the south later on..... At the time, we took that to mean possibly Spring of '07. And that still could materialize - they're just not ready to announce it yet maybe. Plus, who would book dates in Florida, LA and NC during hurricane season? Yes, this year has been mild, but by what's gone on the past three years, it's a safe bet I wouldn't be booking dates for any band in this part of the country over the summer. Now THAT would be a money losing situation......!!
    But you have to consider the odds of PJ playing a show in FL during a hurricane. The only real potentially problematic venue would be West Palm. The only other FL city they play is Tampa and very few hurricanes hit Tampa. They also came to House of Blues in Orlando once a few years back. But even so, they could re-schedule it or something. Hell, Hawaii just had a major earthquake (6.7 magnatude) that caused over 46 million in damages on Oct. 15th, but PJ is playing there! So some natural disasters are more acceptable than others? That would be one ROCKING show!

Either way, I really hope it's not a money issue. Maybe they made some bad investments and are trying to re-coup or something but they've never striked me as the type of band that cared too much about money. That was always part of their allure. If money IS the case, then...well..that will be very, very sad and I'll lose a lot of respect for them. I know they are very P-R-I-V-A-T-E so if it is a money issue, we may never know. Ignorance is bliss! But we do deserve some sort of explanation I think, no one should just be shafted like this!
    stoneg wrote:
    Can everyone just relax? I want to see them live.But as soon as I told myself I might not see them for at least 6 months or longer and too quit wishing for some southern dates before the end of 2006. I felt better with myself. They will not just leave out a large part of the country. Relax! Deep breath in now exhale.It will be OK you will see.

I think we are all just hoping for any dates in any part of 2007. They have sort of left us with hopeless sound bites (ticket sales). With no other communication we have only speculation.

SPALMA wrote:
    I think we are all just hoping for any dates in any part of 2007. They have sort of left us with hopeless sound bites (ticket sales). With no other communication we have only speculation.
    I know.I am dying to see them too.It has been 2 years since I have seen them.Kississmee October 2004 VFC Tour.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    bumpidy bump... got five hundy saved up, im hoping its not just wasting away :D
  • stoneg wrote:
    They will not just leave out a large part of the country. Relax!

that's what i thought. but it's looking bad. i'm shocked pj won't be traveling south. unless you want to take south to extreme and go to Hawaii.

guess the old farts can't handle a true world tour.

i still hope i'm wrong, but i have a bad feeling.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• What happened to shows in Bristow, VA, Virginia Beach, VA, and Raleigh, NC. I thought I would have been able to see them in one of these places. My daughter was born hours after the 5.30.06 show in DC so I had to miss that show. I did not get to go to any of the shows in 2006. Maybe they will tour in 2007.
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • HOB Myrtle Beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AIC is playing dates in the South.........Guns N' Roses is playing Nashville.......Neil Young recorded a concert movie in Nashville, which is still in the South........CSN&Y played dates in the South...........did all these bands lose money hand over fist by playing the dreaded South????
    Bump

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    tybird wrote:
    AIC is playing dates in the South.........Guns N' Roses is playing Nashville.......Neil Young recorded a concert movie in Nashville, which is still in the South........CSN&Y played dates in the South...........did all these bands lose money hand over fist by playing the dreaded South????
    Yeah i agree it is a poor excuse. there are other big bands that skipped the south recently radiohead and tool, but neither really did extensive tours.

tons of other bands make it happen. I think if they skipped some of the smaller places and just did the larger locals they would be good. One date in NC (either raliegh or charlotte), Atlanta, probalby two in Florida, at least one in texas and some of the other large cities in the SE. no need for them to go crazy and play places like Greensboro, Birmingham, etc etc. no offense to the people in that area i'm sure they loved when they came and did a show there, but i coudl see how they would have difficulties playing big shows in that area.
    OR
    Play smaller venues in those areas and elsewhere in the South.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    why wpb and not miami?
    tired of driving the t-pike during rush hour to miss first few songs of the main act
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
    SBC03 wrote:
    why wpb and not miami?
    tired of driving the t-pike during rush hour to miss first few songs of the main act

wpb is beautiful amphitheater. But anyplace in Miami would probably draw. Actually, I would prefer Orlando as it is closer to home.

I can't beleive they think they couldn't sell these venues. Who is feeding them this misinformation?

I know West Palm Beach would at least sell out one night.And maybe a smaller place in Tampa like Ford or Sundome instead of St.Pete Times Forum.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    stoneg wrote:
    I know West Palm Beach would at least sell out one night.And maybe a smaller place in Tampa like Ford or Sundome instead of St.Pete Times Forum.

That's right they have that new amphitheater in St.Pete/Tampa area. The Ice palace in Tampa really sucked and I know they did not sell out in 2000.

Mike just come home.From the Ten Club website:April 5, 1966
    Mike McCready born in Pensacola, Florida
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'