***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    And I think it goes without saying that hearing "Come Back" played in its entirety on a TV show that takes place in The South was just way too fucking appropriate.
    Brian
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    NCBRI wrote:
    But if we give up the thread now then we can't annoy the rest of the board with its omnipresence not to mention its tremendous size. Its the only thing that helps me deal with my disappointment. As they say, misery loves company.

YEAH!! Let's be obstinate, yet faithful. Besides, we practically know our fellow southerners by now. Doesn't hurt to check in and say hello every now and again..... talk about football, exchange recipes and the like. :D
    Shoot, Tybird will have his Masters by the time PJ gets down south again but what the heck - we can make this thing grow even LARGER - all to the dismay of the rest of the board.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
    NCBRI wrote:
    And I think it goes without saying that hearing "Come Back" played in its entirety on a TV show that takes place in The South was just way too fucking appropriate.

Good catch.....
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    weenie wrote:
    YEAH!! Let's be obstinate, yet faithful. Besides, we practically know our fellow southerners by now. Doesn't hurt to check in and say hello every now and again..... talk about football, exchange recipes and the like. :D
    Shoot, Tybird will have his Masters by the time PJ gets down south again but what the heck - we can make this thing grow even LARGER - all to the dismay of the rest of the board.
    I wish.............the Masters part.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    I wish.............the Masters part.

Don't give up. I know it's really hard, but it's worth it.
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    weenie wrote:

I agree. I am not coming here begging anymore but I have to stop by to read how others are doing and what they are thinking.
    War Eagle by the way.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    I agree. I am not coming here begging anymore but I have to stop by to read how others are doing and what they are thinking.
    War Eagle by the way.

Me too, but I might as well bump it up - just in case.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
    War Eagle by the way.
    Roll Tide, BTW..............
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    I will never give up thread till they annouce the southen tour.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    Please!!!
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    tybird wrote:
    Roll Tide, BTW..............

I am afraid the Tide is in trouble this weekend .
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
    I am afraid the Tide is in trouble this weekend .
    Stranger things have happened..........like Auburn beating Florida.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    They should do a southern festival. It could be a pig pickin :)

an all day BBQ event somewhere in the south on the weekend that all fans could travel to.

Get My Morning Jacket to Open (they are a southern band :) )

Maybe pull the Drive By Truckers in too.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I suspect that most, if not all, of my Pearl Jam dollars will begin to flow towards this band. Yes, I have already invested time and money into DBT. Luckily, they have not gotten too big for their britches yet.
    intodeep wrote:
    They should do a southern festival. It could be a pig pickin :)

an all day BBQ event somewhere in the south on the weekend that all fans could travel to.

Get My Morning Jacket to Open (they are a southern band :) )

NO, NO, NO! saw them with Petty and absolutely HATED them sharing the stage... It is just not the same. I'll travel up North to see them alone rather than see any shared shows down here.

I just don't buy the ticket sales excuse. Just play 1 city in each state and run multiple shows - people will come (like they did in Australia). I'd go to 2-3 shows in West Palm and another 2-3 shows in Atlanta and see where they went from there -if I can drive it - I'll go.

Create more demand with less logistical costs.

SPALMA wrote:
    NO, NO, NO! saw them with Petty and absolutely HATED them sharing the stage... It is just not the same. I'll travel up North to see them alone rather than see any shared shows down here.
    That's why we did not travel to the few cities on this tour that we even slightly interested in visiting.......Denver, St. Paul etc........Other acceptable cities like D.C. were out due to conflicts with final exams.
    tybird wrote:
    That's why we did not travel to the few cities on this tour that we even slightly interested in visiting.......Denver, St. Paul etc........Other acceptable cities like D.C. were out due to conflicts with final exams.

Same thing with us but we ended up picking Denver because we had never been there, wanted to check the local scene, participate in the CCFA fundraiser with cool people, thought that we would like to see PJ in a different type of show (we were going later to see them in Portugal) but it was a huge mistake.

Denver was really cool, but I was so upset by the show that I walked out after a couple of Petty songs and sat in the car listening to PJ. It wasn't quantity (length of set) but rather the contrast (Petty is an icon, but he is no PearlJam) and the ambiance (audience sucked, sound sucked, venue/seats sucked) and the fact that Pearl Jam was really an "opener". It was almost insulting. and I swear, PJ members weren't "into" it either - just performing.

I know I was being immature - almost taking it personally, but just couldn't help it. Actually, my husband agreed with me. I sure won't do it again.

SPALMA wrote:
    Same thing with us but we ended up picking Denver because we had never been there, wanted to check the local scene, participate in the CCFA fundraiser with cool people, thought that we would like to see PJ in a different type of show (we were going later to see them in Portugal) but it was a huge mistake.

Denver was really cool, but I was so upset by the show that I walked out after a couple of Petty songs and sat in the car listening to PJ. It wasn't quantity (length of set) but rather the contrast (Petty is an icon, but he is no PearlJam) and the ambiance (audience sucked, sound sucked, venue/seats sucked) and the fact that Pearl Jam was really an "opener". It was almost insulting. and I swear, PJ members weren't "into" it either - just performing.

I know I was being immature - almost taking it personally, but just couldn't help it. Actually, my husband agreed with me. I sure won't do it again.

Honestly, if it had been a Pearl Jam show in either Minnesota or Colorado.....we would have gone. I am a serious, die-hard birder.....and I have never been to either locale. Locales that both offer many species of birds that one could not see in the South....ever. That was part of the equation of the Halifax/Pearl Jam trip in 2005. A nice destination with a wide variety of avian species not common to my part of the world and a Pearl Jam show equal a great trip. We would have considered an indoor show in Seattle for many of the same reasons.....I have major health issues with pot smoke, thus a venue like the Gorge presents potential problems.
    SPALMA wrote:
    the fact that Pearl Jam was really an "opener". It was almost insulting.
    I felt the same way about Drive-by Truckers opening for Black Crowes........It's tough watching a 30 minute set by a band that every other time that you have seen them went over 2 hours. What was worse, IMHO, was the fact that DBT was the first of three.....Rober Randoplh Family Band or whatever they were called was second......they seemed to go on forever.......they weren't my thing....we left about three songs into the Black Crowes.
    tybird wrote:
    Honestly, if it had been a Pearl Jam show in either Minnesota or Colorado.....we would have gone. I am a serious, die-hard birder.....and I have never been to either locale. Locales that both offer many species of birds that one could not see in the South....ever. That was part of the equation of the Halifax/Pearl Jam trip in 2005. A nice destination with a wide variety of avian species not common to my part of the world and a Pearl Jam show equal a great trip. We would have considered an indoor show in Seattle for many of the same reasons.....I have major health issues with pot smoke, thus a venue like the Gorge presents potential problems.

Our other mistake was going on 4th July weekend. The roads and any parks were packed. We tried to get up into the Rocky Mts. and sat in traffic for hours. Roads were a parking lot in the middle of the mountains. I thought there was a special event (ie horse show) but found out it was just everyone trying to get into the park. We ended up turning around and spending the rest of the day in a city park in the middle of Denver. Even unauthorized roadsides were packed with picnics, fisherman. It looked like Disneyworld!!

SPALMA wrote:
    Our other mistake was going on 4th July weekend. The roads and any parks were packed. We tried to get up into the Rocky Mts. and sat in traffic for hours. Roads were a parking lot in the middle of the mountains. I thought there was a special event (ie horse show) but found out it was just everyone trying to get into the park. We ended up turning around and spending the rest of the day in a city park in the middle of Denver. Even unauthorized roadsides were packed with picnics, fisherman. It looked like Disneyworld!!
    Ugggghhh!!! that would have sucked major ass!!!! I am really glad that we didn't try that one. A 1/2 hearted PJ show+being shut out of the mountains=a bad time.
    tybird wrote:
    Ugggghhh!!! that would have sucked major ass!!!! I am really glad that we didn't try that one. A 1/2 hearted PJ show+being shut out of the mountains=a bad time.

But the PJ people we met and hung out with and the city of Denver made it a great time!.

SPALMA wrote:
    But the PJ people we met and hung out with and the city of Denver made it a great time!.
    We would not have been happy being so close, yet so far from the mountains....and the wildlife.....the animals, not the bars.
    tybird wrote:
    We would not have been happy being so close, yet so far from the mountains....and the wildlife.....the animals, not the bars.

Actually, coming from lush, green, fauna packed, flat old florida, the hard grey high mountains were a bit intimidating.

Having previously lived infarmland NY and my husband is from the farmlands of portugal and the only farm animals we saw in Colorado were Llamas. From a distance my husband thought they were "tall goats" and I thought they were "skinny cows" but it wasn't until we came upon them did we realize what they were. The only roadside animals we ran into.

Oh, and lots of birds in the city park - Ducks!! :)

• It's hard to believe what that Lizard guy said. I can't see how PJ would see nothing but dollar signs (or lack thereof) when they met with the tour manager to work out the schedule. Someone had to make the decision not to play the south USA. I'd like to believe that it wasn't because of poor ticket sales. There has to be another explanation. They can't be that broke...they've been making music for over 15 years!

Has anyone asked or heard from Kat or Sea? I sent them a 1-2 emails on the subject - just asking if PJ was planning a southern USA leg of their tour but they never answer me back. I don't know if they are avoiding the question? I also noticed we haven't gotten one of those emails from 10C where they disspell all the rumors floating around. What the heck is going on?
    SPALMA wrote:
    Actually, coming from lush, green, fauna packed, flat old florida, the hard grey high mountains were a bit intimidating.

Having previously lived infarmland NY and my husband is from the farmlands of portugal and the only farm animals we saw in Colorado were Llamas. From a distance my husband thought they were "tall goats" and I thought they were "skinny cows" but it wasn't until we came upon them did we realize what they were. The only roadside animals we ran into.

Oh, and lots of birds in the city park - Ducks!! :)
    Lush, green, fauna packed Alabama.....but with lots of hills.....so I dig the mountain scene......the big grey mountains........feel in love with them on trip to Alaska back in 1997.
  • I honestly think it is a little rediculous for PJ not to come south based on ticket sales. I mean there are many, many PJ fans in the South. How can they snub us? Sure I travelled to NJ to see PJ twice this summer, but come on. I can't do that every time. I think PJ could do well in major southern cities like Houston, Miami, Atlanta, and Phoenix. It's just sorta lame cause I feel like everyone south of the Mason Dixon line is being left out in the cold.
    I honestly think it is a little rediculous for PJ not to come south based on ticket sales. I mean there are many, many PJ fans in the South. How can they snub us? Sure I travelled to NJ to see PJ twice this summer, but come on. I can't do that every time. I think PJ could do well in major southern cities like Houston, Miami, Atlanta, and Phoenix. It's just sorta lame cause I feel like everyone south of the Mason Dixon line is being left out in the cold.

I know they had originally planned on Orlando, but backed out before the plans were firm - so we are not out of the question.

Some thoughts:

I think that they just could not cover ALL the territory in one year and something had to be dropped (and we were IT). And, they do not want to commit themselves to going right out in 2007 and continuing for all the reasons we have seen, family, new album, getting old...

Perhaps ticket sales might make them re-think doing so many dates in the South, but I can't see them eliminating us all together - just catch us on the next tour when they are good and ready to go back out. (I'm hoping).

Meanwhile, the little canned responses (ticket sales...) that have been leaked are a mighty marketing tool.

As far as money, I think they balance money makers with money losers (I know we do this when we bid large packages) in order to keep the fan base. Perhaps they put us off to the future when they can match us up with the high money areas.

And last, maybe they thought better of doing the South now in favor of closer to the election year when they can do some more activism.

LBCSublime wrote:
    It's hard to believe what that Lizard guy said. I can't see how PJ would see nothing but dollar signs (or lack thereof) when they met with the tour manager to work out the schedule. Someone had to make the decision not to play the south USA. I'd like to believe that it wasn't because of poor ticket sales. There has to be another explanation. They can't be that broke...they've been making music for over 15 years!

Has anyone asked or heard from Kat or Sea? I sent them a 1-2 emails on the subject - just asking if PJ was planning a southern USA leg of their tour but they never answer me back. I don't know if they are avoiding the question? I also noticed we haven't gotten one of those emails from 10C where they disspell all the rumors floating around. What the heck is going on?

No one has heard from either of them recently, which is another reason to cast doubt upon statements of late from other posters on the board. Back in the beginning, when the other dates around the country were announced, Kat said something to the effect that there were no plans for 2006, but don't get mad with her if they end up in the south later on..... At the time, we took that to mean possibly Spring of '07. And that still could materialize - they're just not ready to announce it yet maybe. Plus, who would book dates in Florida, LA and NC during hurricane season? Yes, this year has been mild, but by what's gone on the past three years, it's a safe bet I wouldn't be booking dates for any band in this part of the country over the summer. Now THAT would be a money losing situation......!!
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau