***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Send home baked cookies to the Ten Club Staff? Well, that's something I would do.

However, on that note: If the people who want a southern tour create a canned food/clothing drive or something along those lines, and if it is known that they are doing it as a manifestation of their wish to have PJ play the south (besides being a good charitable activity), how could PJ not play the south, you know?
    You mean something akin to the "Plant a tree/CO2 offset" movement that going on.....
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Guitar picks.

If everyone who sings a petition/writes a letter would send a guitar pick along with it, there would be THOUSANDS. It would be a unique way to get the bands attention and might actually work. Plus, it would be a tongue-in-cheek way to give back to them for all the picks they've given to us. Better yet, if the picks could be sent to someone who collected them in a big jar (or guitar case, or whatever) the whole thing could be delivered to 10c at once. They would HAVE to take notice of that, wouldn't they?

Ok, now my head hurts from all this thinking. I have to go lie down.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Very cool pic idea.

Also, get enough people to just wear sandwich boards that spell out

P-L-E-A-S-E*P-L-A-Y*T-H-E*S-O-U-T-H*P-E-A-R-L*J-A-M-!

and have them lined up on a major highway in the south, notify major radio stations as outlined earlier, and it might work.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    tybird wrote:
    You mean something akin to the "Plant a tree/CO2 offset" movement that going on.....
    Sure, why not? I think what is key to success here, though, is organization, marketing and committment.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    CHECK OUT MY LETTER TO PJ TO PLAY the SOUTH!

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/1079/thedudena7.jpg
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    If I was Crazy enough and did'nt have a family to support.I would make a hugh sign climb on a billboard and stay up there till the played the south.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Movin this info to the last page for all to see.....

This little movement seems to have grown some legs of its own....

The *** Official Plant a Tree, Play the South*** petition has been merged with this thread.

Im going to keep posting this until we get lots more people on board.

We are hoping to get the attention of the band and do something great for the enviroment at the same time. What we would like to do is plant as many trees as possible in order to offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism) of PJ'S tour when they come southward (and I know they will!)

Below are some suggested links to foundations that will plant trees for small donations. They will even send you a certificate indicating that the trees have been planted and where they were planted. For as little as 10 bucks, only half the cost of your 10c membership, you can get 10 trees planted in honor of PJ's Southern Tour leg in 2007.

My 10 trees are planted and they should be photosynthesising as we speak. Once my certificate arrives, it will be forwarded to the 10c.

Folks, its entirely possible, with a little help we could get litterally thousands of trees planted with this little "Southern Homegrown Movement".

The steps are simple:

1) Pick a foundation from the links below (or any other that you like), or just visit your local home improvement
    megastore.

2) Purchase your trees. (stealing your neighbor's trees and re-planting them is NOT recommended :D.)

3) Have your certificate, if applicable, filled out to indicate that these trees were planted in honor of Pearl Jam's Southern US Tour in 2007.

Or, if you plant a tree at your house, just snap a picture.

4) Send your certificate, printed email receipt or photo to the 10c at the below address.

** SNAIL MAIL IS THE OPTIMAL ATTENTION GETTING METHOD.**
    on the outside of your envelope please write:
    "Trees for Pearl Jam Movement"

It's that easy!

Let's really get the band's attention in a positive way instead of just bitchin and moaning!:)

Re-Forestation Links:

http://www.arborday.org/join/TICTIM/index.cfm

http://www.americanforeststore.org/

http://www.saveourhemlocks.org/

And the 10c address to mail in that certificate or photo:

Pearl Jam
    PO Box 4570
    Seattle, WA
    98194-0570

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HAVE OFFERED A BOATLOAD OF AWESOME SUGGESTIONS AND HELPFUL LINKS AND THANKS FOR BEING ALL AROUND COOL PEOPLE! :D

LET'S MAKE THIS WORK! GO PLANT A TREE!

Facts From the Arbor Day Foundation Site:

Over the course of 50 years, a single tree can generate $31,250 of oxygen, provide $62,000 worth of air pollution control, recycle $37,500 worth of water, and control $31,500 worth of soil erosion.
    __ __ ____ ___ ___ _____ ___ _____ ___ ___ ___ __ __ ___

So, based on the list we have so far (if youve planted a tree or ten, please add your name to the list that's circulating):

We will have generated $ 4,687,500.00 worth of oxygen, provided $9,300,000.00 worth of air polution control, recycled $5,625,000.00 worth of water and controlled $4,725,000.00 worth of soil erosion!!! :D

How about those numbers boys and girls...all from 15 people planting 10 trees each for a grand total of only $150 !!

So, let me reitterate my point again in another way...for only $10...1/2 the cost of your 10c membership, 1/3 the cost of a tour poster (about 1/10 if you go and flip it on eBay) or the roughly the cost of 9 Wendy's Bacon Jr. Cheesburgers (plus tax)... you can help out a great cause and get PJ's attention in an environmentally friendly way....

Help us offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism header on 10c website) of PJ's tour, (and hopefully grab enough of their attention that they will add the South to their 2007 tour itenerary), by coughing up measly 10 bucks on your next payday (you're only gonna blow it on booze and smokes anyway)..... visit one of the suggested websites today and......

PLANT A FEW TREES so PJ will PLAY THE SOUTH!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers
    I think it's the other way around. If the reason they're not playing the south is because the south doesn't represent well, it seems like it's the SOUTH that needs to stand up for THEM.

I'm not a hater, I'm just sayin...
  • stoneg wrote:
    just curious how old is everyone here? I am 32.33 on Sunday(Yes! Pearl Jam and I share the same Birthday.)

38 til February.....and already 2 bans from the board courtesy of the moving train....boys and girls were in trouble with this crowd

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers
    We are doing that now! Buying trees from The National Arbor Day Foundation and dedicating the trees to Pearl Jam and their southern 2007 tour.Making copies of our letter from them and sending it to the 10 club saying play the south on them.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    38 til February.....and already 2 bans from the board courtesy of the moving train....boys and girls were in trouble with this crowd
    I remember the first one.....what was the second one.......you can PM me, if you need to keep it on the quiet.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    stoneg wrote:
    If I was Crazy enough and did'nt have a family to support.I would make a hugh sign climb on a billboard and stay up there till the played the south.
    That's the spirit!
    DeLukin wrote:
    I think it's the other way around. If the reason they're not playing the south is because the south doesn't represent well, it seems like it's the SOUTH that needs to stand up for THEM.

I'm not a hater, I'm just sayin...
    I hear you.But I just sucks for the real hardcore fans like me.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    stoneg wrote:
    We are doing that now! Buying trees from The National Arbor Day Foundation and dedicating the trees to Pearl Jam and their southern 2007 tour.Making copies of our letter from them and sending it to the 10 club saying play the south on them.
    Good job!
    Movin this info to the last page for all to see.....

The *** Official Plant a Tree, Play the South*** petition has been merged with this thread.

We are hoping to get the attention of the band and do something great for the enviroment at the same time. What we would like to do is plant as many trees as possible in order to offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism) of PJ'S tour when they come southward (and I know they will!)

Below are some suggested links to foundations that will plant trees for small donations. They will even send you a certificate indicating that the trees have been planted and where they were planted. For as little as 10 bucks, only half the cost of your 10c membership, you can get 10 trees planted in honor of PJ's Southern Tour leg in 2007.

My 10 trees are planted and they should be photosynthesising as we speak. Once my certificate arrives, it will be forwarded to the 10c.

Folks, its entirely possible, with a little help we could get litterally thousands of trees planted with this little "Southern Homegrown Movement".

The steps are simple:

1) Pick a foundation from the links below (or any other that you like), or just visit your local home improvement
    megastore.

2) Purchase your trees. (stealing your neighbor's trees and re-planting them is NOT recommended :D.)

3) Have your certificate, if applicable, filled out to indicate that these trees were planted in honor of Pearl Jam's Southern US Tour in 2007.

4) Send your certificate, printed email receipt or photo to the 10c at the below address.

It's that easy!

Let's really get the band's attention in a positive way instead of just bitchin and moaning!:)

Re-Forestation Links:

Pearl Jam
    PO Box 4570
    Seattle, WA
    98194-0570

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HAVE OFFERED A BOATLOAD OF AWESOME SUGGESTIONS AND HELPFUL LINKS AND THANKS FOR BEING ALL AROUND COOL PEOPLE! :D

Over the course of 50 years, a single tree can generate $31,250 of oxygen, provide $62,000 worth of air pollution control, recycle $37,500 worth of water, and control $31,500 worth of soil erosion.

So, based on the list we have so far (if youve planted a tree or ten, please add your name to the list that's circulating):

We will have generated $ 4,687,500.00 worth of oxygen, provided $9,300,000.00 worth of air polution control, recycled $5,625,000.00 worth of water and controlled $4,725,000.00 worth of soil erosion!!! :D

How about those numbers boys and girls...all from 15 people planting 10 trees each for a grand total of only $150 !!

So, let me reitterate my point again in another way...for only $10...1/2 the cost of your 10c membership, 1/3 the cost of a tour poster (about 1/10 if you go and flip it on eBay) or the roughly the cost of 9 Wendy's Bacon Jr. Cheesburgers (plus tax)... you can help out a great cause and get PJ's attention in an environmentally friendly way....

Help us offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism header on 10c website) of PJ's tour, (and hopefully grab enough of their attention that they will add the South to their 2007 tour itenerary), by coughing up measly 10 bucks on your next payday (you're only gonna blow it on booze and smokes anyway)..... visit one of the suggested websites today and......

Got mine and sent it to the 10 club asking them to play the south.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    stoneg wrote:

awesome, this is the kind of thing we need to do...something that involves charity, but we need to get on the news somehow to really get the word out!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
    I feel for you guys. That's why I think whatever you all decide to do should be coordinated and supported by as many people as possible. Let them know that the entire PJ Nation South is behind this. A letter writing campaign won't be good enough if there are only a couple of hundred participants. Look what happened with Brazil - so many people signed a petition that the band had to take notice (Ed himself said that after seeing all those names they figured it was time to go down there). Whatever you decide to do, make sure everyone is on the same page and everyone participates. That's how it will be most effective.
    stoneg wrote:
    I see a typo that may have clouded my original message.......I was trying to point out to Ms. Haiku that we were already pursuing a pathway similar to what she was suggesting. My bad.

The steps are simple:

megastore.

2) Purchase your trees. (stealing your neighbor's trees and re-planting them is NOT recommended .)

It's that easy!

Let's really get the band's attention in a positive way instead of just bitchin and moaning!

Re-Forestation Links:

Pearl Jam
    PO Box 4570
    Seattle, WA
    98194-0570

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HAVE OFFERED A BOATLOAD OF AWESOME SUGGESTIONS AND HELPFUL LINKS AND THANKS FOR BEING ALL AROUND COOL PEOPLE!

We will have generated $ 4,687,500.00 worth of oxygen, provided $9,300,000.00 worth of air polution control, recycled $5,625,000.00 worth of water and controlled $4,725,000.00 worth of soil erosion!!!

BarkingDogs is to take the credit for this.I am just passing along the info.Now lets get the media involed!
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Here's an excellent suggestion by stoneg, also:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=220153
    DeLukin wrote:
    I feel for you guys. That's why I think whatever you all decide to do should be coordinated and supported by as many people as possible. Let them know that the entire PJ Nation South is behind this. A letter writing campaign won't be good enough if there are only a couple of hundred participants. Look what happened with Brazil - so many people signed a petition that the band had to take notice (Ed himself said that after seeing all those names they figured it was time to go down there). Whatever you decide to do, make sure everyone is on the same page and everyone participates. That's how it will be most effective.
    Great Advise.We have been Buying trees from the National Arbor Day Foundation in dedication to Pearl Jam playing a 2007 southern tour.We are sending our letters that we get back from the National Arbor Day Foundation to the Ten Club with a letter saying Play the South.But we need to get the media involed.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I wrote a letter to them months ago. hope it helps
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I think I have finally reached the point where I honestly want them to play the south. Not so you guys get to see them but so you all stop making these stupid fucking threads and petitions. WE GET IT.....you want them to come play the south. What part of no don't you all understand? Go find a copy of Let it Bleed by the Stones and listen to track 9.
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

cool! whoever came up with the "plant a tree in the name of a PJ SOUTHERN TOUR" was a genius!
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

BarkingDogs got that together.He gets the credit, not me.I am just passing on the info to as many people as I can.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    I think I have finally reached the point where I honestly want them to play the south. Not so you guys get to see them but so you all stop making these stupid fucking threads and petitions. WE GET IT.....you want them to come play the south. What part of no don't you all understand? Go find a copy of Let it Bleed by the Stones and listen to track 9.

Being from Philly, and having a chance to see them multiple times within an hour's drive this past tour, you might want to put yourself into someone's shoes who hasn't had that chance. A little empathy for our Southern brothers and sisters in the Jamily would be nice. The Plant a Tree movement is a good thing. Let's not crap on it.
    stoneg wrote:

The steps are simple:

megastore.

2) Purchase your trees. (stealing your neighbor's trees and re-planting them is NOT recommended .)

It's that easy!

Let's really get the band's attention in a positive way instead of just bitchin and moaning!

Re-Forestation Links:

Pearl Jam
    PO Box 4570
    Seattle, WA
    98194-0570

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HAVE OFFERED A BOATLOAD OF AWESOME SUGGESTIONS AND HELPFUL LINKS AND THANKS FOR BEING ALL AROUND COOL PEOPLE!

We will have generated $ 4,687,500.00 worth of oxygen, provided $9,300,000.00 worth of air polution control, recycled $5,625,000.00 worth of water and controlled $4,725,000.00 worth of soil erosion!!!

BarkingDogs is to take the credit for this.I am just passing along the info.Now lets get the media involed!

Anyone in a southern state near a national TV station like MSNBC or CNN? Next time they're broadcasting outside - waive a "Pearl Jam PLAY the SOUTH!" sign and get it onto youtube!
    DeLukin wrote:
    Being from Philly, and having a chance to see them multiple times within an hour's drive this past tour, you might want to put yourself into someone's shoes who hasn't had that chance. A little empathy for our Southern brothers and sisters in the Jamily would be nice. The Plant a Tree movement is a good thing. Let's not crap on it.
    Thank you very much DeLukin.I am also from Pa. Reading(I was'nt there for the VFC Tour)I did catch them in Kissimmee that year(Last time I saw them.Two years ago.) The whole Tree thing is a great cause.And if it gets PJ here even better.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
  • why would you want to love someone that refuses to love you back??
    get over this obsession. they don't like the south, they are not going to
    play the south.

move on, find another band to pester.
    I hear creed is planning a comeback.
    your eyes make a circle,
    I see you when I go in there.