***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Ah, but you have more freinds up here than you realize. Halifax was a major Confederate bastion during the Civil War, and the nephew of Alexander Keith was a huge sympathizer for the South. In fact, once plotted with a Southerner to kill Yankees vis-a-vis a crude bioterrorist attack !! I shit you not. This is an interesting read......

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE2DA1731F93AA15755C0A9639C8B63&fta=y

I dunno, maybe I'll come doiwn there and bring a box or two of Keith's with me. Since I don't drink, they're all yours !!!
    And Alexander and I probably come from the same stock........my last name is Keith. My ancestors came to the continent some time around the American Revolution.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybird wrote:
    And Alexander and I probably come from the same stock........my last name is Keith. My ancestors came to the continent some time around the American Revolution.

No way !!!!!!! See dude, you were meant to be in Halifax for that gig in '05. This is too much !! Had you ever been to halifax before, or had you any connections to halifax ? Or was it a fluke you went there ?
  • Come to Dallas!!!!!!!!!
  • Bump for the south
  • I'm glad to see they're playing a full show now in Hawaii, but the South needs some lovin'! Come on, guys.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • I can't believe this thread is still kickin' !!

much love to pearl jam and all the fans down south...we'll get our chance yet.

Pearl Jam should come down to Knox Vegas and just play a back yard show for us.
  • holleroxxholleroxx Posts: 473
    Just got my tree certif. and will mail it off with a smile in the morning. I love this band! Please play the south!!
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky,a human being that was given 2 fly - Bryan you are loved R.I.P
    No way !!!!!!! See dude, you were meant to be in Halifax for that gig in '05. This is too much !! Had you ever been to halifax before, or had you any connections to halifax ? Or was it a fluke you went there ?
    Almost a fluke.......sent a copy of the tour schedule to my girlfriend (now my wife) and said anywhere interest you......she said Halifax or St. Johns....I had heard about the great birding in Nova Scotia....so I said we're going to Halifax. It was the right decision.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    saving this thread from page 2
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    putting my letter in the mail this morning.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
    Still going...........
  • After a night of drinking, Brian crept into bed beside his wife who
    was already asleep. He gave her a peck on the cheek and fell asleep.

When he awoke he found a strange man standing at the end of his bed,
    wearing a long flowing white robe.

"Who the hell are you?" demanded Brian, "and what are you doing in
    my bedroom?".

The mysterious Man answered, "This isn't your bedroom and I'm
    St Peter".

Brian was stunned, "You mean I'm dead!!! That can't be, I have so
    much to live for, I haven't said goodbye to my family.... You've
    got to send me back straight away".

St Peter replied, "Yes, you can be reincarnated but there is a catch.
    We can only send you back as a dog or a hen."

Brian was devastated, but knowing there was a farm not far from
    his house, he asked to be sent back as a hen.

A flash of light later, he was covered in feathers and clucking around
    pecking the ground.

"This ain't so bad" he thought until he felt this strange feeling
    welling
    up inside him.

The farmyard rooster strolled over and said, "So you're the new hen,
    how are you enjoying your first day here?"

"It's not so bad," replies Brian, "but I have this strange feeling
    inside
    like I'm about to explode".

"You're ovulating," explained the rooster, "don't tell me you've never

laid an egg before."

"Never," replies Brian.

"Well just relax and let it happen."

And so he did and after a few uncomfortable seconds later, an egg
    pops out from under his tail.

An immense feeling of relief swept over him and his emotions got the
    better of him as he experienced motherhood for the first time. When
    he laid his second egg, the feeling of happiness was overwhelming and
    he knew that being reincarnated as a hen was the best thing that had
    happened to him...ever!!!

The joy kept coming and as he was just about to lay his third egg he
    felt an enormous smack on the back of his head and heard his wife
    shouting, "Brian, wake up you drunken bastard, you're shitting in
    the bed!"

This really struck me as hilarious...figured it was worth the bump!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers

This little movement seems to have grown some legs of its own....

The *** Official Plant a Tree, Play the South*** petition has been merged with this thread.

Im going to keep posting this until we get lots more people on board.

We are hoping to get the attention of the band and do something great for the enviroment at the same time. What we would like to do is plant as many trees as possible in order to offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism) of PJ'S tour when they come southward (and I know they will!)

Below are some suggested links to foundations that will plant trees for small donations. They will even send you a certificate indicating that the trees have been planted and where they were planted. For as little as 10 bucks, only half the cost of your 10c membership, you can get 10 trees planted in honor of PJ's Southern Tour leg in 2007.

My 10 trees are planted and they should be photosynthesising as we speak. Once my certificate arrives, it will be forwarded to the 10c.

Folks, its entirely possible, with a little help we could get litterally thousands of trees planted with this little "Southern Homegrown Movement".

The steps are simple:

1) Pick a foundation from the links below (or any other that you like), or just visit your local home improvement
    megastore.

2) Purchase your trees. (stealing your neighbor's trees and re-planting them is NOT recommended :D.)

3) Have your certificate, if applicable, filled out to indicate that these trees were planted in honor of Pearl Jam's Southern US Tour in 2007.

Or, if you plant a tree at your house, just snap a picture.

4) Send your certificate, printed email receipt or photo to the 10c at the below address.

** SNAIL MAIL IS THE OPTIMAL ATTENTION GETTING METHOD.**
    on the outside of your envelope please write:
    "Trees for Pearl Jam Movement"

It's that easy!

Let's really get the band's attention in a positive way instead of just bitchin and moaning!:)

Re-Forestation Links:

http://www.arborday.org/join/TICTIM/index.cfm

http://www.americanforeststore.org/

http://www.saveourhemlocks.org/

And the 10c address to mail in that certificate or photo:

Pearl Jam
    PO Box 4570
    Seattle, WA
    98194-0570

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HAVE OFFERED A BOATLOAD OF AWESOME SUGGESTIONS AND HELPFUL LINKS AND THANKS FOR BEING ALL AROUND COOL PEOPLE! :D

LET'S MAKE THIS WORK! GO PLANT A TREE!

Facts From the Arbor Day Foundation Site:

Over the course of 50 years, a single tree can generate $31,250 of oxygen, provide $62,000 worth of air pollution control, recycle $37,500 worth of water, and control $31,500 worth of soil erosion.
    __ __ ____ ___ ___ _____ ___ _____ ___ ___ ___ __ __ ___

So, based on the list we have so far (if youve planted a tree or ten, please add your name to the list that's circulating):

We will have generated $ 4,687,500.00 worth of oxygen, provided $9,300,000.00 worth of air polution control, recycled $5,625,000.00 worth of water and controlled $4,725,000.00 worth of soil erosion!!! :D

How about those numbers boys and girls...all from 15 people planting 10 trees each for a grand total of only $150 !!

So, let me reitterate my point again in another way...for only $10...1/2 the cost of your 10c membership, 1/3 the cost of a tour poster (about 1/10 if you go and flip it on eBay) or the roughly the cost of 9 Wendy's Bacon Jr. Cheesburgers (plus tax)... you can help out a great cause and get PJ's attention in an environmentally friendly way....

Help us offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism header on 10c website) of PJ's tour, (and hopefully grab enough of their attention that they will add the South to their 2007 tour itenerary), by coughing up measly 10 bucks on your next payday (you're only gonna blow it on booze and smokes anyway)..... visit one of the suggested websites today and......

PLANT A FEW TREES so PJ will PLAY THE SOUTH!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    stoneg wrote:
    putting my letter in the mail this morning.
    10:23am bump! :D
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    holleroxx wrote:
    Just got my tree certif. and will mail it off with a smile in the morning. I love this band! Please play the south!!

Very nice!!

If you're writing physical letters to the band to play the south, please post a quick reply to this thread to encourage others too!

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=219418

Thanks! And cool tree idea, whoever came up with that!!
  • moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    I'm sending them a postcard with a secret on it... wait that's something else... I mean I'm sending them a letter as well... actually a postcard is easier and more fun.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
    moses562 wrote:
    I'm sending them a postcard with a secret on it... wait that's something else... I mean I'm sending them a letter as well... actually a postcard is easier and more fun.

you could send a picture of you holding a "please play the south" sign! lol!
  • moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    CJMST3K wrote:
    you could send a picture of you holding a "please play the south" sign! lol!

Good idea!
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    Ok - I'm a NY'er living in VA. I'd like to see PJ in the south. If PJ is touring next spring and summer, then they are booking it right now.

I'm going to mail a letter to them on Oct 18th. it will say:

"Please play the south"

"Thanks, CJ in VA"

If anyone else wants to make the same request, if we all mail it on the same date, then maybe they'll pay some attention.

Pearl Jam
    PO Box 4570
    Seattle, WA 98194-0570

(let the agreement or bashing begin) :)

I'll get working on some postcards right away! :)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
    I think I'll make a picture card with this picture:
    http://www.ars.pl/images/filmy/big_lebowski.jpg
    and the quote "I really hope they play the south, Donnie."
  • god i hate this class bump
    god i hate this class bump
    For some strange reason..........feeling that way about the whole school thing right now. strange.....
    two for tuesday bump
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Been away for a bit and haven't read all the posts I missed.... who is this guy "Lizard King" and why should we believe him? Does anyone know if this is another one of those fake-outs that people like to float for those of us who are desperate to see PJ in the south? (sorry to be so out of it)
    What gives?
    Thanks
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Pearl Jam has announced an additional show for their 2006 tour. December 2 at the Blaisdell Center in Hawaii will be the spot for the last PJ gig of the year.

Thats from the News page.
    Notice it says Year, not tour.
    Maybe there is some hope for yall.
    time to bump the thread.......
    bumping again for "Two for Tuesday"
    leadbedr wrote:
    Pearl Jam has announced an additional show for their 2006 tour. December 2 at the Blaisdell Center in Hawaii will be the spot for the last PJ gig of the year.

Thats from the News page.
    Notice it says Year, not tour.
    Maybe there is some hope for yall.

yup. I imagine they'll do many more dates in 2007 to pace themselves. So, assuming they're booking next year's dates right now, I'm gonna write them a "please play the south" letter.

One can only try! :)
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,512
    how much further south is Austrailia?
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara