***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I do not like the wording of the Hawaii e-mail that I just received from the Ten Club.........."wrapping up their 2006 World Tour" is a scary phrase for our cause.

I wonder if I can cancel that order for a $50 book? Because right now I really don't think that this band deserves anymore of my money and possibly my time.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • PJ just added a tour date in Hawaii. I'm so sick of getting email from 10C that say "PJ just added another date!" when it has absolutely nothing to do with the south or anywhere close to where I could afford to transport my @$$ to see them. I can't help but notice they add second dates all the time to other shows, but they can't play a few shows in the south?? They can't give us an official explanation as to why? Don't they owe us that at the very least? I've been a fan since '91 and I've bought every album *and* CD, went to every FL concert, bought shirts, posters, DVDs, hats, stickers, over 25 live CDs, etc. But I can honestly say I haven't seen another band show their fans such disrespect since Metallica turned in all their fans who downloaded their music on Napster.

I really think we're spinning our wheels here with this "Play the South Petition". At first I hoped it might get their attention, but as time goes on and we don't hear any official explanation as to why they skipped half the Freaking COUNTRY and thus, HALF THE FREAKING FANS... well, I'm a little pissed off and I've about lost all hope. I still dig the band but my respect for them has deteriorated. No one can tell me that they aren't aware that they skipped the south. It's very easy to give us an explanation. They just choose not to.

Sorry to be a buzz kill. I just had to get that out.

At least I was able to see Alice in Chains last week! They played the south and the Hard Rock Orlando was SOLD OUT! It was an unbelievable show! 10 out of 10!
  • LBCSublime wrote:
    No one can tell me that they aren't aware that they skipped the south. It's very easy to give us an explanation. They just choose not to.

dude...they mentioned several times that ticket sales suck down there...Stone and Mike both said that the south doesn't sell very well

don't be pissed at me...i'm just saying that they have talked about it...
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    lets let this petition die...........

we are bastard children in the south :p
  • dude...they mentioned several times that ticket sales suck down there...Stone and Mike both said that the south doesn't sell very well

don't be pissed at me...i'm just saying that they have talked about it...

They sell out in South FL every time (In West Palm they had to do 2 nights 2 out of the last 3 times they played there)! And if they played at either of the newer arenas (Ft. Lauderdale or Miami) you can bet those would sell out too!
    Listen to Stevie Wonder!
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    tybird wrote:
    I do not like the wording of the Hawaii e-mail that I just received from the Ten Club.........."wrapping up their 2006 World Tour" is a scary phrase for our cause.

I wonder if I can cancel that order for a $50 book? Because right now I really don't think that this band deserves anymore of my money and possibly my time.

Dude, you are the most optimistic one of the bunch. Yeah, I thought about cancelling my order too.

But the wording was:
    "Pearl Jam has announced an additional show for their 2006 tour. December 2 at the Blaisdell Center in Hawaii will be the spot for the last PJ gig of the year. Ten Club tickets available as well as a travel package!"

It is not quite the same. "last PJ gig of the year". Does not cancel out 2007. They never gave time parameters on the "World Tour" and band members have talked about possibly touring 2007 or going back in to the studio for a new album.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • platjive wrote:
    They sell out in South FL every time (In West Palm they had to do 2 nights 2 out of the last 3 times they played there)! And if they played at either of the newer arenas (Ft. Lauderdale or Miami) you can bet those would sell out too!

i hear ya...but THEY - pearl jam - don't see a Southern tour as a good idea...i have all of the 2000 Southern boots...they rock :)
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    ENDING WORLD TOUR OF "2006"

we already know that the south probably wouldnt get shows until early 2007, so why the bummed? Nothing has changed, we are exactly in the same spot as we have been, mike comments and all. Now, with that said.... lets just give ten c and pearl jam a chance, if we hear nothing by the end of october then we can assume that we are out of the game (thats only assuming that they would play early 2007 in the south, there is always a chance that they will do something a lil later....) Im telling you, keep sending your letters, keep signing your petitions... and by golly, plant your trees, since thats a win win situation.

i know how everyone feels, i feel the same.... its important... so i dedicate this to you my southern bitches :D

If ever you are feeling like you're tired
    And all your uphill struggles leave you headed downhill
    If you realize your wildest dreams can hurt you
    And your appetite for pain has drinken its fill

I ask of you a very simple question
    Did you think for one minute that you were alone
    And is your suffering a privilege you share only
    Or did you think that everybody else feels completely at home

Just wait
    Just wait
    Just wait
    And it will come

If you think I've given up on you you're crazy
    And if you think I don't love you well then you're just wrong
    In time you might take to feeling better
    Time is the beauty of the road being long

I know that now you feel no consolation
    But maybe if I told you and informed you out loud
    I say this without fear of hesitation
    I can honestly tell you that you make me proud

Just wait
    Just wait
    Just wait
    And it will come
    Just wait
    Just wait
    Just wait
    And it will come

If anything I might have just said has helped you
    If anything I might have just said helped you just carry on
    Your rise uphill may no longer seem a struggle
    And you appetit for pain might all but be gone

I hope for you and cannot stop at hoping
    Until that smile has once again returned to you face
    There's no such thing as a failure who keeps trying
    Coasting to the bottom is the only disgrace

Just wait
    Just wait
    Just wait
    And it will come
    Just wait
    Just wait
    Just wait
    And it will come
    Just wait
    Just wait
    Just wait
    And it will come
  • Hmmm..I don't buy it. The south doesn't sell well? Wtf? Even IF the south doesn't sell well (not FL - always packed), wouldn't they sell enough tickets to make SOME money? Ok..here's an idea....PLAY A SMALLER VENUE! Or play 1 concert in each state in the south! You can't tell me they wouldn't sell out!

Whatever...it's like they are flipping all of us the proverbial finger. I'm just burned out with all this "keep the faith" crap! BOOOOOOO!!!
  • I can't believe this thread is still kickin' !!

much love to pearl jam and all the fans down south...we'll get our chance yet.
    4/18/03, 10/6/04, 9/11/05, 6/24/06, 6/16/08, ?
    LBCSublime wrote:
    Hmmm..I don't buy it. The south doesn't sell well? Wtf? Even IF the south doesn't sell well (not FL - always packed), wouldn't they sell enough tickets to make SOME money? Ok..here's an idea....PLAY A SMALLER VENUE! Or play 1 concert in each state in the south! You can't tell me they wouldn't sell out!

Whatever...it's like they are flipping all of us the proverbial finger. I'm just burned out with all this "keep the faith" crap! BOOOOOOO!!!

well then, take your ass to honoluuuu luuuuuuuuuu bub! :D
  • tybird wrote:

I know its small consolation Tybird, but you're always welcome in Halifax next time 'round. Because, as you know, we're all convinced there'll be "a next time" in Halifax. LOL. Hey, why let reality get in the way of unbridled optimism !
  • I know its small consolation Tybird, but you're always welcome in Halifax next time 'round. Because, as you know, we're all convinced there'll be "a next time" in Halifax. LOL. Hey, why let reality get in the way of unbridled optimism !

Speaking for one member of the Tybird/Daystar combo...I'd LOVE to come back to Halifax...and would do so even if there's a Southern concert...but hey, we're not opposed to giving the guys the bucks for four tickets instead of two (so please note...increased profit with two shows).

All kidding aside, ours is a beautiful part of the country and we are justifably proud to invite both Pearl Jam and the fans to come and visit. We take our hospitality seriously and have, for the most part, maintained a gracious way of life that we are pleased to share with others (much like my experience in beautiful Halifax).

At the same time, many people who haven't visited down here in a while would be surprised at how progressive the South can be. Many things have changed...and for the better. Please come visit and see for yourselves...and if you're ever coming to Birmingham, give us a shout...I know all the good bars and Tybird knows all the good parks!

Best wishes to all,
    Day
    The Daystar

"But --you say that Dreams have no power here? Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar...Ask yourselves, all of you...What power would hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to Dream of Heaven?" Dream speaking to Lucifer as written by Neil Gaiman.
  • well then, take your ass to honoluuuu luuuuuuuuuu bub! :D
    I'd love to but alas...I'm too broke. :( After flight, hotel, tickets, food, booze...that's just too much.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Cool! Sorry to bump my own thread but... bump! :D
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • good luck with that.
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    not a bad idea! WE NEED MORE SHOWS!
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    I just got my national arbor day foundation letter.I bought trees in honor of Pearl Jam touring the south in 2007. There is too many rumors going around.Ed in Europe about a PLAY FLORIDA sign.Stone saying something about Florida.And Mike saying they don't sell well in the south.Just hold on.It will happen.I am betting spring 2007.When PEARL JAM came out Mike said they were going to tour for a full year.They need a break which i think would be Dec.,Jan.,Feb. and then they will announce the south for March,April or May.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
    I got my letter from the National Arbor Day Foundation today.I bought some trees to plant in Honor of Pearl Jam playing the south in 2007 and made a copy and wrote PLAY THE SOUTH under it and i am mailing it out tommorrow to the Ten Club.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    stoneg wrote:
    I got my letter from the National Arbor Day Foundation today.I bought some trees to plant in Honor of Pearl Jam playing the south in 2007 and made a copy and wrote PLAY THE SOUTH under it and i am mailing it out tommorrow to the Ten Club.

INGENIOUS! too awsome! nice man. :D

(and congrats Stoneg on your next post which will reach 1,000!)
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    I still don't bye the argument of ticket sales. I agree that a full scale big venu tour of The South would have some major issues in the sales area, but to generalize the excuse is just a cop out and maybe a diversion from their real reasons. I think everyone agrees and has mentioned several times that there are places that would sell well enough to warrant some shows. And once again like everyone has said, smaller venues are always an option. If they don't want to play down here for other personal reasons then just say so.
    That said, I will keep hoping to seet them down here next year some time. Would love to see them with the Foos (another band that chose to skip The South by the way) as long as it didn't interfere with 10C tix.
    Brian
  • You guys have to come down, Atlanta, NO or P'cola would sell out in my area in a minute, I need this so bad, i hope they come.
    CJMST3K wrote:
    INGENIOUS! too awsome! nice man. :D

(and congrats Stoneg on your next post which will reach 1,000!)
    Thank You. I am now in the 1,000 plus club
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    stoneg wrote:
    I just got my national arbor day foundation letter.I bought trees in honor of Pearl Jam touring the south in 2007. There is too many rumors going around.Ed in Europe about a PLAY FLORIDA sign.Stone saying something about Florida.And Mike saying they don't sell well in the south.Just hold on.It will happen.I am betting spring 2007.When PEARL JAM came out Mike said they were going to tour for a full year.They need a break which i think would be Dec.,Jan.,Feb. and then they will announce the south for March,April or May.

that sounds perfect... only problem with that is, is that they would have to announce that way ahead of time, like in the near near future, tis why im not giving up!
    join the letterwriting campaign this week!! :)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=219418
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    SPALMA wrote:
    Quite franky I am tired of asking them to come South, tired of saying "Please". They could at least give us some sort of "official" nod - yes or no - not these conversational comments (as in the other thread). It just feeds the fire.

And yes, it is disappointing and discouraging.

Right on. I'm through begging.

Not giving up hope, but I'm through begging.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Movin this info to the last page for all to see.....

This little movement seems to have grown some legs of its own....

The *** Official Plant a Tree, Play the South*** petition has been merged with this thread.

Im going to keep posting this until we get lots more people on board.

We are hoping to get the attention of the band and do something great for the enviroment at the same time. What we would like to do is plant as many trees as possible in order to offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism) of PJ'S tour when they come southward (and I know they will!)

Below are some suggested links to foundations that will plant trees for small donations. They will even send you a certificate indicating that the trees have been planted and where they were planted. For as little as 10 bucks, only half the cost of your 10c membership, you can get 10 trees planted in honor of PJ's Southern Tour leg in 2007.

My 10 trees are planted and they should be photosynthesising as we speak. Once my certificate arrives, it will be forwarded to the 10c.

Folks, its entirely possible, with a little help we could get litterally thousands of trees planted with this little "Southern Homegrown Movement".

The steps are simple:

1) Pick a foundation from the links below (or any other that you like), or just visit your local home improvement
    megastore.

2) Purchase your trees. (stealing your neighbor's trees and re-planting them is NOT recommended :D.)

3) Have your certificate, if applicable, filled out to indicate that these trees were planted in honor of Pearl Jam's Southern US Tour in 2007.

Or, if you plant a tree at your house, just snap a picture.

4) Send your certificate, printed email receipt or photo to the 10c at the below address.

** SNAIL MAIL IS THE OPTIMAL ATTENTION GETTING METHOD.**
    on the outside of your envelope please write:
    "Trees for Pearl Jam Movement"

It's that easy!

Let's really get the band's attention in a positive way instead of just bitchin and moaning!:)

Re-Forestation Links:

http://www.arborday.org/join/TICTIM/index.cfm

http://www.americanforeststore.org/

http://www.saveourhemlocks.org/

And the 10c address to mail in that certificate or photo:

Pearl Jam
    PO Box 4570
    Seattle, WA
    98194-0570

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HAVE OFFERED A BOATLOAD OF AWESOME SUGGESTIONS AND HELPFUL LINKS AND THANKS FOR BEING ALL AROUND COOL PEOPLE! :D

LET'S MAKE THIS WORK! GO PLANT A TREE!

Facts From the Arbor Day Foundation Site:

Over the course of 50 years, a single tree can generate $31,250 of oxygen, provide $62,000 worth of air pollution control, recycle $37,500 worth of water, and control $31,500 worth of soil erosion.
    __ __ ____ ___ ___ _____ ___ _____ ___ ___ ___ __ __ ___

So, based on the list we have so far (if youve planted a tree or ten, please add your name to the list that's circulating):

We will have generated $ 4,687,500.00 worth of oxygen, provided $9,300,000.00 worth of air polution control, recycled $5,625,000.00 worth of water and controlled $4,725,000.00 worth of soil erosion!!! :D

How about those numbers boys and girls...all from 15 people planting 10 trees each for a grand total of only $150 !!

So, let me reitterate my point again in another way...for only $10...1/2 the cost of your 10c membership, 1/3 the cost of a tour poster (about 1/10 if you go and flip it on eBay) or the roughly the cost of 9 Wendy's Bacon Jr. Cheesburgers (plus tax)... you can help out a great cause and get PJ's attention in an environmentally friendly way....

Help us offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism header on 10c website) of PJ's tour, (and hopefully grab enough of their attention that they will add the South to their 2007 tour itenerary), by coughing up measly 10 bucks on your next payday (you're only gonna blow it on booze and smokes anyway)..... visit one of the suggested websites today and......

PLANT A FEW TREES so PJ will PLAY THE SOUTH!

No matter what the band decides to do, this is still a good cause. Lets keep it where it can be seen. Trees are good!
    Brian
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I know its small consolation Tybird, but you're always welcome in Halifax next time 'round. Because, as you know, we're all convinced there'll be "a next time" in Halifax. LOL. Hey, why let reality get in the way of unbridled optimism !
    I feel better after seeing such love from my friends in Nova Scotia....I would gladly visit Halifax (to the max) again.........and drink lots of Keith's!!!!! :)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I'll send a letter off tomorrow. Every little bit will help!
  • tybird wrote:
    I feel better after seeing such love from my friends in Nova Scotia....I would gladly visit Halifax (to the max) again.........and drink lots of Keith's!!!!! :)

Ah, but you have more freinds up here than you realize. Halifax was a major Confederate bastion during the Civil War, and the nephew of Alexander Keith was a huge sympathizer for the South. In fact, once plotted with a Southerner to kill Yankees vis-a-vis a crude bioterrorist attack !! I shit you not. This is an interesting read......

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE2DA1731F93AA15755C0A9639C8B63&fta=y

I dunno, maybe I'll come doiwn there and bring a box or two of Keith's with me. Since I don't drink, they're all yours !!!