Options

The Oasis Thread

Comments

• Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 607
    Looks like some cancellations may be coming due to wild fires 
    Well…
    Noel started those himself because of poor ticket sales.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181
    I've seen this twice in my life, where the opener was more popular than the headliner, and people left in droves:

1) Groundwork 2001 - Seattle - Pearl Jam played before R.E.M.  1/3rd to 1/2 left before REM hit the stage, and another 1/3 left after they started (it wasn't great, REM leaned a little to hard on new music for a casual audience).

2) Rob Thomas w/ Counting Crows - Chicago 2016 - Please left in droves after Rob Thomas.  CC was not that big.  In additional CC really sucked live, so I can see why.

The upside is both headliners played to the smaller crowds :)
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,025
    Zod said:
    I've seen this twice in my life, where the opener was more popular than the headliner, and people left in droves:

1) Groundwork 2001 - Seattle - Pearl Jam played before R.E.M.  1/3rd to 1/2 left before REM hit the stage, and another 1/3 left after they started (it wasn't great, REM leaned a little to hard on new music for a casual audience).

2) Rob Thomas w/ Counting Crows - Chicago 2016 - Please left in droves after Rob Thomas.  CC was not that big.  In additional CC really sucked live, so I can see why.

Did REM start wildfires and call in bombthreats
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181
    Zod said:

Did REM start wildfires and call in bombthreats

They did not.  The played about 3 songs anyone in the arena knew, the rest was newer stuff, and people flooded the exits :)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    man, leaving during REM. Fuck I'd love to see them live just once. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited July 2023
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,595
    I had a friend in high school and I got her a ticket to Pearl Jam in SF Summer 1995. She was supposed to then give me a ticket to REM for the Monster tour in the fall in Anaheim. I even gave her the makeup San Jose Pearl Jam ticket. Well, I was going to see REM on Friday and then the 2 Pearl Jam San Diego shows in 1995. She calls me up last minute and tells me she lost the REM tickets. I never got to see them live. Months later she was cleaning her room and found the REM tickets. We weren’t friends after that.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,893
    I had a friend in high school and I got her a ticket to Pearl Jam in SF Summer 1995. She was supposed to then give me a ticket to REM for the Monster tour in the fall in Anaheim. I even gave her the makeup San Jose Pearl Jam ticket. Well, I was going to see REM on Friday and then the 2 Pearl Jam San Diego shows in 1995. She calls me up last minute and tells me she lost the REM tickets. I never got to see them live. Months later she was cleaning her room and found the REM tickets. We weren’t friends after that.
    Wow. That sucks. I only got to see REM once for the Green tour. I remember it was pouring rain and we were in standstill traffic due to a car accident up ahead of us on the highway. I was so nervous we weren't going to make the show. I think we made it just in time.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    THAT. SUCKS. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Hey, Noel Gallagher fan boy, you weren’t there
    and you want to throw subtle insults at me from across the pond?

a lot of what is being reported isn’t true. I was 15 feet from the stage and I live here. There are reports that a bomb threat was called in at 9:00, but we were at the venue with no issues until 10:00 pm. They say they cancelled Gallagher’s set at 9:40. I saw his tour bus drive off at 9:30.

they say there was a heavy police presence and people were rushed out. There was next to zero police presence and some people were shooting the breeze and finishing their drinks with friends.

interestingly, Noel Gallagher, Ticketmaster, or Live Nation has yet to comment on what happened last night. Maybe some one actually did call in a bomb threat; but there is a lot of misinformation. 
    You wouldn’t know though, because you were sleeping in Sweden.
    ” The caller appears to target Noel Gallagher, the former Oasis guitarist and singer who was the evening’s headliner — though the caller claims he can’t remember his name. 

“His music is trash,” the caller says in a voice that is at times slurred and stammering. “It promotes homosexuality, drugs, taking weed and 'generacy. I could not permit him to corrupt our youth.”

“Who is it?,” the dispatcher asks.

“I forgot the name of the guy, but he’s performing on the stage right now, can see him,” the caller says before threatening to detonate bombs and shoot the artist.”

/…/

” Officials made the decision at 9:40 p.m. — just before Gallagher’s band High Flying Birds had been scheduled to begin their headlining set — to cancel the show and evacuate the venue. The bands' tour buses could be seen driving away by audience members who received the news from the stage around 10 p.m.

A K9 sweep of the venue after the crowd had exited yielded no results, according to state Park Police. No arrests have been announced in the case, which is being investigated as "making a terroristic threat," a felon”

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/spac-threat-ended-show-included-homophobic-18254658.php

I might have been sleeping in Sweden. 

But I am not the one cooking up fantasy stories from my ass. 

curb your conspiracies

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,955
    lol. Like “youth” are into Noel Gallagher
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    Noel Gallagher never took the stage, so the caller definitely never saw him unless he was looking at a mirror while on the phone.
  • Options
    Noel Gallagher never took the stage, so the caller definitely never saw him unless he was looking at a mirror while on the phone.
    Has nothing to do with you screaming and crying about this without any doubt was being Noel just leaving because he didn’t want to play. 
  • Options
    The bomb threat was called in at 9:00. Nobody was told concert was over until 10:00. We all saw Noel’s tour bus drive off at 9:30. Those are facts.
  • Options
    To be fair, if someone is calling in a bomb threat or threatening violence, it is a good assumption that they are an unreliable narrator. 
  • Options
    The bomb threat was called in at 9:00. Nobody was told concert was over until 10:00. We all saw Noel’s tour bus drive off at 9:30. Those are facts.
    So
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,901
    Corn-popping GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    Liam hypes up DM30 tour and then disappears from twitter for a month... classic
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Liam hypes up DM30 tour and then disappears from twitter for a month... classic
    Maybe he’s on Threads now
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
  • Options
    So
    Weird over a month later and they still haven’t identified a suspect in this very public case…
  • Options
    To be clear, do you think someone from the NG team called in a bomb threat because they didn’t sell enough tickets or were being outplayed by Garbage? 

Or do you think a call never happened and it’s just a made up excuse because they didn’t want to play because they didn’t sell enough tickets or were being out played by Garbage? 
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    To be clear, do you think someone from the NG team called in a bomb threat because they didn’t sell enough tickets or were being outplayed by Garbage? 

Or do you think a call never happened and it’s just a made up excuse because they didn’t want to play because they didn’t sell enough tickets or were being out played by Garbage? 
    The entire thing is odd.  I am guessing NG didn't want to play.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options

Being there it was such a strange feeling (having been to hundreds of concerts at the venue). There was a max exodus after garbage. Staff were begging people to sit up front. I texted my wife before 9:30 and I said I am getting the feeling he’s not coming out, it’s so strange here. All the media reports his bus left after announcement of bomb threat, but we all saw his bus leave at 9:30 (buses park right next to stage). 

I think do think someone from band phoned it in and I will die on that hill until an arrest is made.
  • Options
    But he played other low selling shows before and after this date. Why did he tap out for just this one? 
  • Options
    edited August 2023

The entire thing is odd.  I am guessing NG didn't want to play.
    Come on now.
  • Options
    But he played other low selling shows before and after this date. Why did he tap out for just this one? 
    If I had to wager, the same amount of tickets were sold, but what made this embarrassing was that 1/2 to 3/4 of already small crowd exited after Garbage and it was a mostly empty amphitheater at that point.
  • Options
    So they called in a bomb threat? 
  • Options
    Maybe they did. Maybe they didn’t. Someone did. No suspects. Bizarre that there isn’t when. A 911 call can be traced. Also bizarre the threat came in at 9:00, the band left at 9:30 and they kept everyone waiting until 10:00. Not gonna rehash the details again, but until someone is arrested, I think it is totally conceivable that happened.
  • Options
    Maybe they did. Maybe they didn’t. Someone did. No suspects. Bizarre that there isn’t when. A 911 call can be traced. Also bizarre the threat came in at 9:00, the band left at 9:30 and they kept everyone waiting until 10:00. Not gonna rehash the details again, but until someone is arrested, I think it is totally conceivable that happened.
    There are bogus reports about a bomb threat, including from Garbages official Twitter. This is total BS. The show was a dud and Noel’s ego couldn’t handle it. I watched the tour bus take off with my own eyes a half hour before they told people to go home. Fuck Noel Gallagher.