Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

The Oasis Thread

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Im gonna defend them a bit by saying even though I love The Beatles, I like Oasis more. I like almost every single song by Oasis. As for The Beatles, I like so many of their songs but they also made some that I dont like at all (almost everything from the White Album). I can listen to most of the Oasis albums straight through while I cant do that with any Beatles except Sgt. Pepper and Rubber Soul. As for the people saying Oasis is a ripoff of The Beatles, you stole that quote from the media and dont even know what your saying. The only big similarities are the melodies of the songs. While Oasis do have a few Beatles sounding songs, their sound is completely different than that of The Beatles. The only reason they are compared to The Beatles is because of they are from England, they had overnight rise to popularity in the 90's which was similar to The Beatles in the 60's, and the melodies and song arrangemens are similar.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on
«13

Comments

  • thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    I like both, but the Beattles have inspired a whole generation, while Oasis are just another band in their time...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    at times I feel Oasis are actually underrated..ah well..everyone has their opinions.
    I love Oasis..never fail to buy all their singles and albums so yeh..I'm Mad fer it!
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

    Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,211
    i think you're nuts if you call the white album unlistenable ;)

    but i agree. i never understood why anyone compares oasis to the beatles to begin with. musically, they have pretty much nothing in common. oasis rocks much much harder than the beatles... it was music meant to fill stadiums, not take lsd and find god. i think the only reason they ever got compared is the similarly meteoric rise of their popularity and liam and noel's very public and outspoken worship of them. so the press started calling them the biggest band since the beatles and their love of the beatles turned into them copying the beatles. they sound more like the who than the beatles to me. rock'n'roll star and live forever have more in common with baba o'riley and love reign o'ver me than any beatles tune i can think of.
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Too bad alcoholiday isn't around ... If he was, I'd say that Oasis sucks. ;)

    In all seriousness, the Beatles comparisons make no sense. I think they we started by members of Oasis, were they not? Narcissistic pronouncements from Liam and Noel, "we're the greatest rock band in history, we're the new Beatles" ...
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    though i like oasis, i could never say they were better than the beatles. nor could i ever say they rock harder. just my opinion.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    kdpjam wrote:
    though i like oasis, i could never say they were better than the beatles. nor could i ever say they rock harder. just my opinion.

    You should be able to say they rock harder..............No Beatles song rocks as hard as Cigarettes and Alcohol, Bring It On Down, Morningglory, or Supersonic
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

    "Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    You should be able to say they rock harder..............No Beatles song rocks as hard as Cigarettes and Alcohol, Bring It On Down, Morningglory, or Supersonic


    ha ha ha what beatles have you heard? seriously.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    kdpjam wrote:
    ha ha ha what beatles have you heard? seriously.

    All of them, therefore knowing that Oasis rocks much harder

    You honestly think there is a harder/heavier song by The Beatles than Bring it on down? You are mistaken if you think there is.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

    "Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    All of them, therefore knowing that Oasis rocks much harder

    You honestly think there is a harder/heavier song by The Beatles than Bring it on down? You are mistaken if you think there is.

    yeah i do but it doesn't matter to you anyway, because i am MISTAKEN. heh.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    kdpjam wrote:
    yeah i do but it doesn't matter to you anyway, because i am MISTAKEN. heh.


    Name it then.......Helter Skelter is the heaviest song I believe and thats definitely not as heavy as many Oasis songs
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

    "Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i don't think oasis is that heavy. sorry. i have cigarettes and alcohol on disc.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    kdpjam wrote:
    i don't think oasis is that heavy. sorry. i have cigarettes and alcohol on disc.


    They arent that heavy...........but still heavier than The Beatles
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

    "Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    They arent that heavy...........but still heavier than The Beatles

    my taste does not rely on whether a band is heavy or not. to each his own! like i said, music is m.o.o. = matter of opinion.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    kdpjam wrote:
    my taste does not rely on whether a band is heavy or not. to each his own! like i said, music is m.o.o. = matter of opinion.


    Well you were the one that said that The Beatles rocked harder.......so I guess you are saying your wrong now but it doesnt matter because you like The Beatles more which is just fine with me......
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

    "Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Well you were the one that said that The Beatles rocked harder.......so I guess you are saying your wrong now but it doesnt matter because you like The Beatles more which is just fine with me......

    yeah i think songs like everybody's got something to hide...., white album stuff, and songs like she's so heavy do rock harder than oasis... but whatever. i like oasis. i think their last cd is great. i love the beatles, everyone knows that on here i think.....
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,211
    kdpjam wrote:
    yeah i think songs like everybody's got something to hide...., white album stuff, and songs like she's so heavy do rock harder than oasis... but whatever. i like oasis. i think their last cd is great. i love the beatles, everyone knows that on here i think.....

    i dont think the beatles ever released a song that rocks harder than columbia. oasis is just a heavier band. i wasnt saying it was a reason they're better than the beatles. just that's it's one of many reasons oasis sounds nothing like the beatles. oasis sounds much more like the who or maybe a 70s arena rock band than the beatles. that's all i was saying. i dont get the beatles comparison. i love them both. yeah, parts of the white album can rock pretty hard, but on the whole, the beatles weren't exactly a "rocking out" kinda of band like the rolling stones or the who or led zeppelin. which was my point. oasis has more in common with those bands than the beatles by far.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i dont think the beatles ever released a song that rocks harder than columbia. oasis is just a heavier band. i wasnt saying it was a reason they're better than the beatles. just that's it's one of many reasons oasis sounds nothing like the beatles. oasis sounds much more like the who or maybe a 70s arena rock band than the beatles. that's all i was saying. i dont get the beatles comparison. i love them both. yeah, parts of the white album can rock pretty hard, but on the whole, the beatles weren't exactly a "rocking out" kinda of band like the rolling stones or the who or led zeppelin. which was my point. oasis has more in common with those bands than the beatles by far.

    i don't consider oasis or the beatles a heavy band. but i get your point. i happen to think the beatles were a hell of alot more innovative, thats just my opinion. i mean, whats the new mary jane blows me away! i do like oasis.. the importance of being idle is a fave of mine.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,211
    kdpjam wrote:
    i don't consider oasis or the beatles a heavy band. but i get your point. i happen to think the beatles were a hell of alot more innovative, thats just my opinion. i mean, whats the new mary jane blows me away! i do like oasis.. the importance of being idle is a fave of mine.

    absolutely the beatles were more innovative. i guess im thinking more of the folks in the other thread who call oasis a beatles ripoff... i dont see it. they sound nothing like the beatles.
  • The Beatles comparisons come from the UK press and Noel & Liam worshipping them so much, I would say Whatever & Masterplan are the only Beatles like songs they've done and thats only because of the string arrangements on them, very Beatles, which I think was the purpose. I've never called them Beatles rip off's.

    They do have more in common with TREX & the who because of their loud raw sound.

    They did do a lot for British music in the 90's I can't deny that, they also influenced a rash of soundalikes which were no where near as good.

    I don't hate Oasis, I just prefer my bands to not be so sound a like others, they do have their own sound and they are good fun, their interviews always make me smile as well as get angry when Liam stars gobbing off.
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    This is a a tough call both are great bands. as much as I love Oasis there songwriting isnt quite as good as lennons/mcartneys.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Oasis is amazing, I've been digging Heathen Chemistry a lot lately. I think I might like them more than the Beatles but the Beatles are one of the greatest bands of all time so its not like i think Oasis is more important than them. The thing I love about Oasis is that they have so much material and yet stay so consistent that depending on who you talk to, an amazing Oasis track, a great Oasis track, and an average Oasis track are all different. The other thing is, there really isnt much 'bad" Oasis and not much filler either. The Beatles, unfortunately, did have some very bad songs("When im 64' bleeeeeehhhh) and some filler (Revolution 9)
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

    Some die just to live.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 24,406

    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • clayton12clayton12 Athens, GAPosts: 277
    CANNOT FUCKNIG WAIT FOR THIS!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 24,406
    Showing here in Gothenburg on the 23rd of September 

    First movie I see in the theatre since Mank last November.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,091
     The only reason they are compared to The Beatles is because of they are from England, they had overnight rise to popularity in the 90's which was similar to The Beatles in the 60's, and the melodies and song arrangemens are similar.

    Ummm, yea, this.  It's rare that a post can so vehemently go after and oppose the prevailing opinion on something and then at the very end contradict everything they said in the preceding argument and basically agree with the prevailing opinion itself.  Bravo!

    That said, I'm a big Oasis fan, but there's no doubt that a) The Beatles are just light years better than Oasis in every way, from innovation to impact to consistent quality of output to talent to commercial success to individual success outside the band to cultural contributions, etc. etc.  There's just no comparison.  And b) Oasis are CLEARLY derivatives of the Beatles.  There's a reason it's such a common comparison, and no it's not just 'the media', it's right there in the songs.  Just because some in the media point it out doesn't then negate the prevailing cultural opinion of who Oasis are.  That's just dumb logic.

    Again, I really love Oasis, they were almost all I listened to freshman year of college in 1997.  But I knew what they were, and it certainly wasn't some groundbreaking band with a unique sound and approach, that's for sure.  As you said, their melodies, song arrangements and similar rise to fame made them basically the wannabe Beatles of the 90's.  They had some great songs, too bad their talent got stretched a little too thin and they couldn't keep it going.  But who can?

    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Their last record was so good though, I feel like there was more in the tank for them. I mean look at how prolific Noel has been since they disbanded. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Posts: 2,269
    Knebworth doc and Merch Up for Presale
    https://shop.oasisinet.com/products/section/14039
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MNPosts: 2,188
    Knebworth doc and Merch Up for Presale
    https://shop.oasisinet.com/products/section/14039
    Might have to spring for the vinyl set.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Petoskey, MIPosts: 2,294
    83 bones total with shipping to U.S. for the vinyl… hmmmmmm, gonna have to think about this one 
    Dallas 7/5/98, San Francisco 7/15/06, 7/16/06, San Francisco 8/28/09 (OL) Bristow 5/13/10, New York 5/21/10, East Troy 9/3/11-9/4/11 (PJ20), Missoula 9/30/12, Chicago 7/19/13 (Wrigley), Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, Baltimore 10/27/13, Dallas 11/15/13, Austin 10/12/14 (ACL), Memphis 10/14/14, St. Paul 10/19/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14, Denver 10/22/14, Fort Lauderdale 4/8/16, Miami 4/9/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Philly 4/28/16, 4/29/16, New York 5/1/16, 5/2/16, Seattle 8/10/18 (Safeco), Missoula 8/13/18
    Eddie Vedder - Berkeley 4/8/08, Austin 11/9/12, 11/11/12
    Temple of the Dog - Upper Darby 11/4/16
  • ZodZod Posts: 7,951
    Attaway77 said:
    83 bones total with shipping to U.S. for the vinyl… hmmmmmm, gonna have to think about this one 

    Have you tried Amazon uk?  I just preordered from there.  They remove the VAT when your doing an international order, and it looks like they've got their international shipping costs back under control. It was just under 30 pounds for the record, and and 7 and a bit pounds for shipping.  By my math that was just shy of 65 Canadian, which would be even less in USD.
Sign In or Register to comment.